Shoulder season activities?- Mtbr.com
    Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007

Shoulder season activities?

We had a pretty sketchy ride last night, sliding over some bumpy nasty ice - even on the rail trail. There's not enough snow to XC ski, and the riding is pretty marginal. It got me thinking - what do people do during shoulder seasons? For me, time on the trainer is NOT an answer, and I hate going to gyms. It's almost road riding season... What do you do for fun and exercise?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Run.
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

mtbr member
    I've been hitting spin classes this year with my wife once or twice a week. That has worked out really well, they are more interesting than the trainer and having someone else to go with prevents bailing in moments of lazyness. I actually really look forward to them.

I commute by bike pretty much daily giving me about 4-5 hours a week.

I've sat on the trainer a bit, but it always requires one of my favorite or a new movie, otherwise I'm off in 30 minutes.

I've returned to indoor rock climbing for the past 6 months after a couple years off. It's a blast and good for keeping the body fit. Been doing that a couple times a week. Only problem is that I've added muscle that is counter productive to cycling.

Finally, my ultimate favorite winter activity is squash. As a cross training activity for MTB, I can't imagine a better sport. The only problem is, Hamilton is not a squash hot bed, so finding competitive games at a high level is a challenge and I don't play nearly as much as I would like. When I was playing competitively 4-5 years ago, the MTB would go away in September and come out in May and I was always fastest in the spring.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Iíve been watching a lot of Netflix lately.

As for activities it all depends on the weather (and it has been pretty random)
    -Sunday there was a few inches of fresh loose snow so we did hill repeats and sketchy downhill descents. One trail packed down so good we were riding summer speed. Very good for working on the handling skills
    -Iím hoping to get in some longer road rides on the weekend but the weather keeps sucking for that.
    -Run once in a while
    -On weeknights I have a 30 loop around town using well lit streets with bike lanes.
    -Last week I rode out in the dark and did a loop of the Niagara Classic course.
    -Also, I like my rollers and going to the gym soÖ

Itís really about making the best of a crappy situation. If you donít like indoor exercise youíre going to have to take some nights off.

- Oh and I'm headed to South Carolina in a few weeks.

9 lives
    I am still able to squeeze a few rides on our local trails although the trails are soft in spots and the big hill climbs are a challenge.

I down hill ski once a week
    I attend spin classes at the Y after work and if I have time I do some weight training
    I practice Ashtanga Yoga at a studio several times a week

Daylight hours are longer so I will be able to ride after work without the lights

I can't wait for better weather to be able to ride more

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl
    We had a pretty sketchy ride last night, sliding over some bumpy nasty ice - even on the rail trail. There's not enough snow to XC ski, and the riding is pretty marginal. It got me thinking - what do people do during shoulder seasons? For me, time on the trainer is NOT an answer, and I hate going to gyms. It's almost road riding season... What do you do for fun and exercise?
    Trainer only for me right now. Five days a week. Having a young family, the XC skiing isn't really an option being that we I have an hour or so in the car that's required to get to a destination that has decent trails and isn't effected as much by the southern Ontario weather swings. And I would prefer to be doing something that's going to benefit my cycling in the summer most. It's getting extremely difficult to be motivated now, but this has come more recently and there is light at the end of the tunnel. I wish I lived closer to JoyRide!
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by philshep
    Run.
    Ban him!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Muskoka

What shoulder season?

There are no shoulder seasons when you have a Pugs

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    I have been doing spin classes at work, and trying to get outside with my beater bike when I can.

I would love to get into squash as an off season training thing, problem is, the only person I know who plays is my brother and he is currently 3rd province (35+), so losing to him might get old real fast

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    There are no shoulder seasons when you have a Pugs
    Gratuitous purple pictures!

My favourite activity for this time of year is looking at NAHBS pron!

Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Squeeze in as many rides as possible until the trails get soft.
    Ride my mountain bike on the road if necessary.
    Ride the trainer as much as is bearable...which is not much for me. 3 or 4 times per week, but only for 30 minutes per.
    Also play hockey 3 times a week, but I am a goalie so its not exactly a cardio workout.
    Weight train once or twice per week.

mtbr member
    I do P90X and Insanity dvd workouts. I would highly recommend them for anyone that's looking to try something new or has been biking for years and is still 10-30 pounds out of shape. Women especially shouldn't just ride a bike. It's not good for your bones. You need to take care of your bones when you're young so you don't have problems when you're older.
    If you're not a professional cyclist you should do as many different sports/exercises as possible. You'll get better results and be a more interesting person.

Lemmy Rules!
    Spin classes, riding my cross bike whenever the temp is above -5 and there is no snow on the road, riding my mtb on the trails behind my house (not exciting - just exercise), chasing my 3 year old son around, and taking the dog on looooonnnnnggg walks.
    Strava made me do it....

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by limba
    Women especially shouldn't just ride a bike. It's not good for your bones.
    I've heard this before, but as far as I understand, these studies were done on professional road riders. I wonder if the same is true for mountain biking?

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by limba
    you should do as many different sports/exercises as possible. You'll get better results and be a more interesting person.
    Ha! Are you saying I'm boring?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I've heard this before, but as far as I understand, these studies were done on professional road riders. I wonder if the same is true for mountain biking?

More then likely. The human body increases bone density as a response to weight bearing activity. Weights, running, and so on. Especially in women this is important as it decreases the chances of Osteoperosis. Though in the coming years with the way our society is about physical activity I expect the perecntage of the population that develops this to skyrocket.

I use the gym. Though I'm abnormal as I get it done in about 20 minutes. Because anything more is wasting time.

bi-winning
    Those stairs that go up / down the escarpment; climb / descend them 'till you can't stand.

You're welcome.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Absolutely. You sit on a seat and sweat away for hours. Mtn.biking is a bit more jarring (which is good) but it's still not enough to strengthen your bones. If you get paid to ride a bike go ahead but for the rest of us there's way more effective ways to get in shape and make your body stronger. I love biking, it's the most fun exercise for me but I think some people should try some other things.
    Last edited by limba; 03-02-2011 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Those stairs that go up / down the escarpment; climb / descend them 'till you can't stand.

You're welcome.
    You can even jump up stairs in your house. Jump two stairs or three stairs all the way up then walk back down. You can do all kinds of brutal workouts using just your bodyweight.
    I don't know how much fun it would be but it's hard and good to switch things up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    What is this "shoulder season" you speak of?

I think I vaguely recall it from living back east.

Out here the biking is still good until November (little wet but that is what Gore-Tex is for) then it's full on powder skiing from mid November till May.

The really hard part is trying to decide between skiing in the sun in May or riding in the sun in May. Kinda sucks sometimes.

mtbr member
    Biking is great but a break from it makes it even better for me.
    I joined my daughters last year and started fencing "amazing"at my age. and now I don't even play hockey which was my main winter sport for years.
    I also run and snowshoe.
    Then, I look forward to biking season. A new bike is almost together and the sun is getting warmer!!!!! Just can't wait...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I punch people in the face and get into fights.

Which is to say I do various martial arts and full contact sparring. It's also about the only time of the year when I do any serious stretching, I hate stretching and normally avoid it at all costs, but they make us do a full warmup (I normally don't do that either) and stretching routine before we get to work on our skills and sparring. It helps balance out my body and keeps me reasonably flexible so I don't pull muscles or sprain joints from playing hockey or mountain biking. And I get to punch people in the face and not go to jail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yep, not enough snow for a decent snowshoe right now. I've been jogging, doing weights and some plyometric workouts, taking the long way to work on either my road bike or mountain bike, which is about an hour and 15 minutes there and however long I want to make it to get home. Damn wind has been hell these last few days and you can't take your eyes off of the road because there are patches of ice everywhere. Ride my trainer year round. It's a permanent fixture in my living room.
    Haven't been on single track since last November
    Come on already spring.
    High on Life

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    100 burpees per day

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    Yep, not enough snow for a decent snowshoe right now. I've been jogging, doing weights and some plyometric workouts, taking the long way to work on either my road bike or mountain bike, which is about an hour and 15 minutes there and however long I want to make it to get home. Damn wind has been hell these last few days and you can't take your eyes off of the road because there are patches of ice everywhere. Ride my trainer year round. It's a permanent fixture in my living room.
    Haven't been on single track since last November
    Come on already spring.
    Ugh, yes... ****ing wind needs to calm itself down(why is it so bad on Friday afternoons lately!) I don't worry about the ice though... I cheat and use studs...

Anyways,

Yes people, those studded tires are great for this seemingly climate change type freeze/thaw crap which leaves frozen melt-ponds allover.

At first I was worried some monster broke their clavicle after slipping on ice(what the heck is shoulder season after all?!) ... knock on wood.

humber river advocate
    ice conditions are perfect on the trails tonight, super slick. studded tires a must.

broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    I am riding on the trainer twice a week for 1.5-2 hours each and I train with weights once a week. The weekends are for skiing, but that won't last much longer with this weird weather.

Although I do enjoy riding on the trainer, I am sooooo ready for some outdoor riding.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Yes people, those studded tires are great for this seemingly climate change type freeze/thaw crap which leaves frozen melt-ponds allover.
    No argument here. THIS is studded tire weather.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Not a fan of the shoulder season. I am trying to be creative and mix it up depending on conditions so I've been riding outside, inside and skiing, snow shoeing. Today we have good snow so I'm sneaking in a ski this afternoon. This weekend is back to crap...just above zero and wet snow and/or raining. Gah. What to do with that. I think I'm going on the trainer and maybe skate skiing.

I also just keep telling myself one more month... while trying not to buy plane tickets to warm places every couple of days.

One more month! We can do it.

Evil Jr.
    Lots of rain in the forecast here too... in other words, perfect Bike Show weather!

Aside from being on my feet all day and shaking hundreds of hands, this is probably my least "active" weekend of the whole year.

Unless, the weather takes a really weird turn this week, next weekend will probably include some serious road miles.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Unless, the weather takes a really weird turn this week, next weekend will probably include some serious road miles.
    Good idea. If it's around or above zero with dry roads next weekend, I should get out on the road with my cross bike then. I think that's why I originally bought it... crappy spring conditions.

Have fun at the bike show!

They say I have a problem
    Trainer...upwards of 10hours a week....But I'm one of those sick weird roadie dudes now....
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    Trainer...upwards of 10hours a week....But I'm one of those sick weird roadie dudes now....
    I'll get you back on a mountain bike even if I have to build the trails myself!

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket
    ice conditions are perfect on the trails tonight, super slick. studded tires a must.

That was a kick ass ride last evening. That hill was sheer ice! Like riding on the river only with downhills and up hills! Studded tires were mandatory! Way to go Singlesprocket!

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Lots of rain in the forecast here too... in other words, perfect Bike Show weather!

Aside from being on my feet all day and shaking hundreds of hands, this is probably my least "active" weekend of the whole year.

Best of luck with that cold going around, typhoid Mary.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z-G-kmcpy_M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SKOoQ_4uneU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Members who have read this thread: 0