Shipping bike to the States- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Shipping bike to the States

Has anyone here shipped a bike out of Toronto? I want to ship my bike down to the States for a few weeks and then ship it back. I'll be flying down but it's on a regional jet and I don't think they can accomodate bicycles.

My question is which bike shops offer shipping services, and whether anyone has had particularly good or bad experiences with any specific shops or shipping companies. I've read throughout the forums that Fedex Ground is the best option so that's what I'm leaning toward at this point.

I'm not sure how the process works (whether the shop takes care of packing and/or shipping) or whether I'm on my own for either or both of these. If anyone could relate their own experiences I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately when you ship a bike the size of the box makes it an oversize package...which means it'll be expensive. I've shipped a number of frames and I've found that Purolator offers the best price and they're very fast.

For packaging, I always go to my local bike shop and get a bike box. They're really strong and obviously they're big enough to hold your bike. Wrap your bike with bubble wrap and then fill the extra spaces in the box around your bike with paper. It'll be nice and safe for the trip!

Cheers,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by precar
    Has anyone here shipped a bike out of Toronto? I want to ship my bike down to the States for a few weeks and then ship it back. I'll be flying down but it's on a regional jet and I don't think they can accomodate bicycles.

My question is which bike shops offer shipping services, and whether anyone has had particularly good or bad experiences with any specific shops or shipping companies. I've read throughout the forums that Fedex Ground is the best option so that's what I'm leaning toward at this point.

I'm not sure how the process works (whether the shop takes care of packing and/or shipping) or whether I'm on my own for either or both of these. If anyone could relate their own experiences I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks for the reply

I've called the shipping companies and Purolator seems to be the best way to go.

Is it better to pack the bike yourself or have the shop do it for you? The general cost for getting it packed up is around $20-$35 at the shops I've called. Do the shops do a good job packing the bike?

mtbr member
    I've never actually had a bike shop pack a bike for me. I have access to large quantities of paper (I work at a newspaper) so I find it's easy enough to do it myself.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by precar
    I've called the shipping companies and Purolator seems to be the best way to go.

Is it better to pack the bike yourself or have the shop do it for you? The general cost for getting it packed up is around $20-$35 at the shops I've called. Do the shops do a good job packing the bike?