Sending my 5th and fork for warranty- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Sending my 5th and fork for warranty

I hope someone here will be able to answer, as many of you probably went through this. I have to send my fork in for warranty repair, and I'm sending it directly to Manitou in US. Same with my 5th coil shock - not repair, rather a new compression head piston, to get it working correctly for my weight, nevertheless covered by warranty. Here's the question - when both items are sent back from manufacturers, they will (hopefully!) be marked and declared as warranty items. Is there a chance that I could still be charged PST + GST on the border? I've heard conflicting stories about it...

Hope someone can shed some light on this. Thanks

Arek

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    request that they are to be sent back by post. Couriers will still charge you handling fees, eventhough there is no duties on the item. basdits

UPS gouged me almost $17 for a Romic spring (bill stated that it was warranty replacemt, valued at $0.00)

we can't win, if it's not the tax man, it's the damn courier
    I Ride, I Know

some kind of hero...

Use USPS

Quote Originally Posted by Arek
    I hope someone here will be able to answer, as many of you probably went through this. I have to send my fork in for warranty repair, and I'm sending it directly to Manitou in US. Same with my 5th coil shock - not repair, rather a new compression head piston, to get it working correctly for my weight, nevertheless covered by warranty. Here's the question - when both items are sent back from manufacturers, they will (hopefully!) be marked and declared as warranty items. Is there a chance that I could still be charged PST + GST on the border? I've heard conflicting stories about it...

Arek
    Just make sure it is sent US Post, Priority Air Mail and declared as a warranty return and it won't cost you anything but postage. The Manufacturer uses the Customs CN-22 sticker with $0 value and it should come straight through to you.

Don't use a courier . It just encourages them...

Your other course is to apply for a refund of charges after the fact. It can be done, but it is a bit of work...

Good Luck!

GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    echos
    I Ride, I Know

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arek

Arek
    As others have suggested, have it sent back via USPS and declared as "Warranty/Repair". This has always worked for me. Unfortunately, some places will only ship via UPS, not USPS. In which case, bend over But, if proper documentation accompanies the warranty (which it should) you could probably get some of the UPS fees back...but, good luck!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

Crank monkey

I had my LBS send in my Black for a rebuild...

and they didn't charge me anything, except the shipping, which was around $17. Usually, they (the LBS) only charge the customer what Mantiou charges them. In this case, Manitou didn't charge them anything, so I got a free rebuild.

Sometimes, it's good to deal with your LBS.
    Cheers,
    Smytty