sad news- Mtbr.com

Thread: sad news

humber river advocate
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Lemmy Rules!
    That is terrible news. That's also a very dangerous and busy stretch of road for cyclists. There's no real safe alternate route up there, at least that I can think of.

Be careful everyone. In my experience, by the time October rolls around, a lot of motorists are no longer expecting to see cyclists. Make sure you put on your blinker lights and don't take any chances out there. It's not worth the risk....
    Strava made me do it....

GAME ON!
    it's not us needing to be careful that's the problem, it's everyone else not giving a sh*t. i'm tired of having to make sure that everyone else is following the rules.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

9 lives
    I'm seeing more cyclists on Hwy 50 which like Airport Road is not a safe place to ride. The volume of traffic, and size of trucks makes it difficult to see the cyclist and to give the them enough room. Spotting cyclists on those hwys is becoming a more common occurence.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    it's not us needing to be careful that's the problem, it's everyone else not giving a sh*t. i'm tired of having to make sure that everyone else is following the rules.
    Technically you are correct, but as I am the smallest and most vulnerable vehicle on the road, and have a family who would miss me if I was hit by a truck, I will continue to be careful, thank you very much....
    Strava made me do it....

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I'm seeing more cyclists on Hwy 50 which like Airport Road is not a safe place to ride. The volume of traffic, and size of trucks makes it difficult to see the cyclist and to give the them enough room. Spotting cyclists on those hwys is becoming a more common occurence.
    Hwy 50 is now a death trap since the upgrades several years ago...it's now an alternate for trucks that avoid Airport Road. Combine that with the farmers and drunks that use this as a secodary route, it's no longer a safe route for bikes.

I used to use 50 when cycling from Toronto to Collingwood, but now take a bike with wider tires and use the unpaved roads in Adjala to get to 89, then take Simcoe Road 10 to Angus and cut across to Sunnidale Corners. Much safer.

mtbr member
    Highway 50 is not a safe place for anything. It's a white-knuckle freak show when I drive my car up there. 5-stage-light-cycle intersections and unmarked farm vehicle entrances on a 2-4 lane road road where a steady stream of tractor-trailers average 105 kph in the rain.

I mean, what could go wrong?

And yeah, the usual disclaimer: Ride so that you don't get hit. Following the so-called "rules of the road" is a distant second to that.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Last edited by ghettocruiser; 11-08-2012 at 09:09 AM.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The University Ave. story was updated earlier today. The cyclist has died as a result of the injuries.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

GAME ON!
    sh!tty. cars always win.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    I just read that - very sad. He seemed like a quality athlete and person in every respect.

I didn't think the headline was as accurate as it could have been. I would have chosen "traffic" over "training".
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member

mtbr Decade+
    The owner of http://hammercitycycle.com/ was hit this morning. In good news, the perpetrator successfully lit her cigarette. I guess you could say he was smoked!
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

9 lives
    Sad news, and it's difficult to tell what happened as details are sketchy

Man dies after bike stunt at Underpass Park

A man died after a bicycle stunt went wrong early Monday
    Emergency crews were called to Underpass Park, near Eastern Ave. and Adelaide St. E, about 3 a.m., where the victim had suffered a head injury after falling off his bike.
    He was pronounced dead on scene, police said.

Man dies after bike stunt at Underpass Park | Toronto Star
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    That sucks.

Evil Jr.
    That explains a bit more than what I heard on the radio. All I got there was "Man dies after falling off Bixi bike."
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Members who have read this thread: 0