Route suggestions for Copeland Forest Please!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Route suggestions for Copeland Forest Please!

Hi All,
    We've heard some great things about the Copeland Forest so a group of us from North Bay are making the run down this Thursday.

A friend has been and said it was great but they got lost and spent a ton of time circling. Trailforks suggests a 20km route and we might just follow that but I'd love some local suggestions.

At least some 'gotta hit this trail' suggestions. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If its your first time in there, you're guaranteed to get lost. It is a pretty big forest, but it is an absolute spiderweb of trails in there.

When I go, or when I bring new people, I always make sure to ride 5th Dimension, Ridge Run, Copeland DH, Sunset and Purple Star. (names all from Trailforks). Maybe not all of those, as that is a ton of climbing, but be sure to at least do Ridge Run and 5th Dimension.

Rail Trail is a fairly flat, but fun trail.

Trails are usually almost always good to go, if not better, if its raining.

Check out some of my ride logs for some suggested loops - https://www.trailforks.com/profile/Canadmos/ridelog/ The most recent Copeland one was fun.

I'd recommend riding up Mile High, Sunset, Will it End or Copeland Grind. Don't ride up Copeland DH or 5th Dimension...

Parking on the 5th Line at the P4 parking spot is recommended if you're new. It dumps you right onto 5th Dimension. But I usually park across from Horseshoe, as it adds a nice warm up with some flowy trail.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Almost forgot, keep an eye out for downed trees. The trees in Copeland are pretty fragile and always falling. There were no major trees down on Sunday morning, but after that big wind storm on Sunday, there might be a few down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hey thanks Canadmos! Really looking forward to these. Always great to get out of town for some adventure and new trails. Looks like another awesome week of weather, can't believe its October!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I usually park at P2 on Ingram Rd. near 4th line so that the ride's all downhill at the end when I'm tired & out of gas. I usually go Rail Trail to Swamp then connect to Pipe Dream or the doubletrack (sometimes I miss a turn or 2) and make my way to Mile High for the climb to the top of the hill. Then I hit as many downhills as I can from that area of the forest, then make my way towards the 5th line parking lots and finish the ride with 5th Dimension and Rail Trail back to the P2 parking lot.

And yes, you will get lost. I've been riding there for almost 20 years and I still get lost. You pretty much have to be a local and ride there regularly for a good while to really know the trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Its fine to ride there when its rain?

Quote Originally Posted by Canadmos View Post
    If its your first time in there, you're guaranteed to get lost. It is a pretty big forest, but it is an absolute spiderweb of trails in there.

When I go, or when I bring new people, I always make sure to ride 5th Dimension, Ridge Run, Copeland DH, Sunset and Purple Star. (names all from Trailforks). Maybe not all of those, as that is a ton of climbing, but be sure to at least do Ridge Run and 5th Dimension.

Rail Trail is a fairly flat, but fun trail.

Trails are usually almost always good to go, if not better, if its raining.

Check out some of my ride logs for some suggested loops - https://www.trailforks.com/profile/Canadmos/ridelog/ The most recent Copeland one was fun.

I'd recommend riding up Mile High, Sunset, Will it End or Copeland Grind. Don't ride up Copeland DH or 5th Dimension...

Parking on the 5th Line at the P4 parking spot is recommended if you're new. It dumps you right onto 5th Dimension. But I usually park across from Horseshoe, as it adds a nice warm up with some flowy trail.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmac View Post
    Its fine to ride there when its rain?
    Yes. The hilly area of the forest has a sand based soil, so it never really gets muddy. The trail "Swamp" on Trailforks goes through an actual swamp, but even that trail stays relatively okay to ride after/during rain.

If it doesn't rain for a while, some turns in the forest can get extremely loose. I think the trails ride better, the more wet they are. Stay off of the double track though, they will get muddy.

If you know where to look, there is an actual sand dune in the forest somewhere.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    So, how lost did you get?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised if he's still going in circles in there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Ok, "lost" isn't the right word here, we always knew where we were, just didn't know where to turn next!

Totally worth the trip down, these trails are a blast, 'Flow' is definitely the word! Our time in the forest was about 3 hours, our actual riding time was 2 hours, the 1 hour was split between looking at Trailforks, fixing broken chains, waiting for one of our boys to put his lungs back in his mouth, and did I say looking at Trailforks.

The next times going will only improve with a sense of direction and selection for getting back up to do the screaming downs.

Thanks for the suggestions posted. Sawdust Brewery in Gravenhurst was a great stop to recount the ride except the food truck was gone for the season (pizza had to do).

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Can2pir View Post
    Ok, "lost" isn't the right word here, we always knew where we were, just didn't know where to turn next!

Totally worth the trip down, these trails are a blast, 'Flow' is definitely the word! Our time in the forest was about 3 hours, our actual riding time was 2 hours, the 1 hour was split between looking at Trailforks, fixing broken chains, waiting for one of our boys to put his lungs back in his mouth, and did I say looking at Trailforks.

The next times going will only improve with a sense of direction and selection for getting back up to do the screaming downs.

Thanks for the suggestions posted. Sawdust Brewery in Gravenhurst was a great stop to recount the ride except the food truck was gone for the season (pizza had to do).
    Sounds like a good time!

I'm curious about your feedback on how Trailforks worked out. I added the majority of those trails over the summer. Did they seem accurate and actually useable?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    We used it extensively, thanks.
    I'd rather have a designed route, with signage, pick it on Trailworks, memorize 2-3 trailnames then go, as it was it seemed we were riding and think '3rd right' but we couldn't trust the '3rd'! and then we didn't know after that!

But the trails were awesome, the day a super success.