Rouge Trails- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rouge Trails

Jun 2004

Rouge Trails

Can someone please give me directions to the good singletrack in the Rouge/Toronto Zoo area. I've been a couple of times but have not found much.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Rouge Single Track

The trails at the rouge can be divided into those North of Twyn Rivers Drive and those South. Many of the trails on the North side and all of them on the South side are off limits to riders. That said, many still ride them.

Let me do my best to describe a route that hits some of the single track trails. These aren't marked and there aren't that many milestones to use in a description, so bear with me:

Park at zoo parking lot near the Pearce House (1st right off Morningside, North of Sheppard). To the East of you will be the "garbage hill". Go towards the garbage hill on the paved road until you see a pond to the right. Turn right on the wide mud road just after the lake (but before the train tracks). About 100 metres along this road you will see some singletrack entering the woods straight in front of you. This is a fun run and will take you to Twyn Rivers Road.

Turn right on Twyn Rivers and ride along it until you go past the tight left hand curve of the road. About 20 metres past the curve you will see an entrance into the forest on the South (left hand) side of the road. (Note from here on, the trail is off limits to bikes). About 10 metres into the forest you will see a trail on your right leading upward - take this it is a nice climb. (You can also continue straight until you hit the "ski hill" for an even better climb). After the climbs there is some single/double track that is fast and fun. This is an in and out trail so let's say that you exit the forest where you went in from Twyn Rivers. Cross Twyn Rivers to the North Side of the Road and proceed East about 10 - 20 metres. West of "curve". There is a barrier with an entrance - a little hard to see. Go into the entrance and follow the single track. This is not a bad run with a small technical uphill section. 40-50 metres after the technical section (you'll know which one I mean when you hit it) you will see climb on a gravel road to your right. Climb this and you will be in sight of the place that you started the first single track run in this note.

There are a few other runs but they can be hard to find. Whatever you do, go slow past hikers, be as friendly as possible and treat the trails with respect. We're already "officially" barred from most of the good areas but there is no enforcement. Let us do everything we can so that folks don't feel the need for enforcement.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    They are indeed off limits to bikes..

banned
    Feb 2005

Zoology Zoom

Great info hardstop.
    Do you have any directions for a BACKDOOR into the Zoo?
    Even if MTBing is officially barred, no enforcement.
    I promise to smile and go slow.
    Perhaps someone should explain Private Message to you.

Jun 2004

Thanks

That was great. Thank you.

I already rode that
    Quote Originally Posted by shabbasuraj
    They are indeed off limits to bikes..
    Does that mean I have to stop riding along the ridge?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Some minor edits.

After recent rides at the rouge I've been meaning to come back and make some corrections in my post so see bolded items below:

The trails at the rouge can be divided into those North of Twyn Rivers Drive and those South. Many of the trails on the North side and all of them on the South side are off limits to riders. That said, many still ride them.

Let me do my best to describe a route that hits some of the single track trails. These aren't marked and there aren't that many milestones to use in a description, so bear with me:

Park at zoo parking lot near the Pearce House (1st right off Morningside, North of Sheppard). To the East of you will be the "garbage hill". Go towards the garbage hill on the paved road until you see a pond to the right. Turn right on the wide mud road just after the lake (but before the train tracks). About 100 metres along this road you will see some singletrack entering the woods straight in front of you. This is a fun run and will take you to Twyn Rivers Road.

Turn right on Twyn Rivers and ride along it until you go past the tight left hand curve of the road. About 20 metres past the curve and over the bridge you will see an entrance into the forest on the South (left hand) side of the road. (Note from here on, the trail is off limits to bikes). About 10 metres into the forest you will see a trail on your right leading upward - take this it is a nice climb. (You can also continue straight until you hit the "ski hill" for an even better climb). After the climbs there is some single/double track that is fast and fun. This is an in and out trail so let's say that you exit the forest where you went in from Twyn Rivers. Cross Twyn Rivers to the North Side of the Road and proceed East (i.e. turn right and go back over the bridge). Just over the bridge there is a barrier with an entrance - a little hard to see. Go into the entrance and follow the single track. This is not a bad run with a small technical uphill section. 40-50 metres after the technical section (you'll know which one I mean when you hit it) you will see climb on a gravel road to your right. Climb this and you will be in sight of the place that you started the first single track run in this note.

There are a few other runs but they can be hard to find. Whatever you do, go slow past hikers, be as friendly as possible and treat the trails with respect. We're already "officially" barred from most of the good areas but there is no enforcement. Let us do everything we can so that folks don't feel the need for enforcement.

Hope this helps.