Roots & Rocks @ Hilton Falls- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Roots & Rocks @ Hilton Falls

Thanks to Wizard of Wheels ( www.wowmtb.com)

I attended the Roots & Rocks clinic @ Hilton Falls on Saturday....awesome clinic.

As a newb, I have rode HF a few times and had a frustrating time with all the logs and rocks...it was like going for a hike with my bike.
    After the brief intro we rode off to our first obstacle, to sets of stairs (3steps each). Now I would never have thought I would be able to do that. Ive been trying to increase my height on a bunnyhop for something like that...anyways, hit the stairs and 'rolled' up, the joys of being a newb !!
    After everyone tried the stairs we were split into two groups, a slow progression group for riders not as experienced or should I say as confident, beceause at the end of the day some of those riders who had trouble with the stairs were climbing rock gardens like it was a paved trail. I ended up going with the second group and off we went into the backcountry trails.

12 riders and two instructors and only got lost once!
    well, not lost just seperated momentarily... the last time I was at HF, the logs blocking the trail I thought were way to big to get over...wrong again!!
    The day was filled with technical trails over rocks, roots, and logs...and the trails I never knew existed, and of course the new riders I have met, what an amazing day.

To top it off..some good eats and free swag at the end of the day.

Thanks, Mike and Natalie for an awsome day I can now say I'm a semi-newb
    lots to learn still......

Anyone on here who attended Saturday?

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

would've loved to...

I would've liked to participate in that, didn't know about it though. Any idea when the next one is?

Cheers.

mtbr member

next year :(...but...

They only do so many clinics a year, but if youre able to get 5 people together they will do a personal clinic.

Contact Mike and Natalie @ www.wowmtb.com

My girlfriend took the all womens course a week prior and her confidence in riding has increased like you would not believe. She highly recommends it for all the ladies out there.

As for the clininc I took, highly recommended. For all skill levels. It was comforting to see the instrustors have a few dabs...which really made you push your own limits. There were sections I had previously walked at Hilton Falls that I rolled up like it was nothing.

I threw my business card out to a few people to organize some rides, more than happy to show the trails (that dont appear on the trail guides) part of the 'backcountry' as they call it.

If you find some people who are interested, I know 1 person who missed this one who wants to do the clinic, he doesnt have e-mail but I can fwd contact info and dates available and all that.

This weekend Im thinking of going to Kelso for the first time then heading over to Hilton Falls for a while...

Cheers

Mar 2004

Too bad that no more clinic this year...

So is anyone interesting in organizing a group of 5? I also like to join the clinic, try to teach myself into the sport for 2 months and don't see much progress, even at easy albion I have to walk some of the sections . Noonievut ??

mtbr member

only 5 needed

Quote Originally Posted by esmundo
    So is anyone interesting in organizing a group of 5? I also like to join the clinic, try to teach myself into the sport for 2 months and don't see much progress, even at easy albion I have to walk some of the sections . Noonievut ??

Well all you need is two more people....

yourself, Noonievut ? and my riding buddy Mike

maybe start a new thread, see what comes of it.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Sure...

If the timing is right I'm in for sure. I'm good most Saturday or Sunday mornings, weeknights after 6:30pm, or even a day in the summer if we are all off.

Anyone else???

P.S. If we get 5 or more confirmed on this thread, we will get a bit more organized with timing and booking...until then let's see how it unfolds.

Jun 2004
    How much?

If it's cheap I may be in. I'm poor so it's gotta be cheap.

Mar 2004
    full day clinic is $50 so I bet it'll be cheaper for the evening course. I'm also good at weeknights evening or sunday morning.

Jun 2004
    $50 is more than I was hoping. I'll keep an eye on this but $50 is a little much for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I would be interested on joining up with you all if it can be arranged, might mean i can actually ride the fun stuff rather than taking my bike for a walk. I'm about pretty much every Fri, Sat and some Sundays. Hopefully we can get enough interest to get 5 of us to go.

Jun 2004
    Did this just dissolve?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I'll e-mail them

I'm busy at work this week but early next week I will send an e-mail asking for some more details (timing...what's available, $ for evening course, etc., etc.).

If anyone wants this now, feel free to e-mail them yourself and post the feedback here.

Mar 2004

Rocks and Roots

I think I would be interested...I am getting better with roots and logs but I haven't done much with logs over a curb height...

mtbr member

... and if we just ... awaiting availability confirmation

Sent out an email yesterday to WOW.

As soon as I hear back I'll post here.

Cheers

Mar 2004

Hilton falls rocks and roots

Cool...Just let us know...

Jun 2004
    If this falls 2 to 3 weeks from now I should probably almost maybe certainly there's a chance could be in.

Currently working as a general contractor and the job site I was on had a Stop Work Order placed on it. So technically I'm NOT currently working.

Mar 2004
    My mom from hongkong just come to visit and will be staying for a long time. Hopefully I'm able to squeeze out some time. Let's keep this post running and see how it'll go.

mtbr member

Good job! Phase 2---who's in

I have a response from W.O.W,

So I guess we need to decide on a mutual day and time.

Please reply with preference of an evening clinic, or weekend and your top three dates available.

The goods: (email from [email protected])

The clinic really depends upon what your group wants. We can do an
    evening session (5:30 to 8ish) for $20 a person plus admission to Hilton
    Falls (we get a group discount rate so $4-$5) a person. As an
    alternative we could do a morning long clinic with lunch for $50.
    Evenings aren't much of a problem for us. Just let us know what your
    group wants and we'll go from there.

Cheers,

Mike, W.O.W.
    [/COLOR]

Jun 2004
    I prefer the evening session. No preference on a day yet really....

Mar 2004

Nights or weekends

A night may work for us but our weekends are pretty full until after the long weekend in September cause I am getting married in August...So hopefully what works for everybody else will work for me..

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    A weekday evening is fine for me. 5:30 is a little early to get home from work and head out to Hilton, but with enough warning and I will try to make it work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

I'm in...

weekday or weekend, whatever will be decided.

Mar 2004
    Sunday morning is ideal for me.
    Weekdays evening will also be fine. The only problem is my wife get off at 7pm so I have to leave her with the car. If any of your guys don't mind to give me and my bike a ride I'll share the gas price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Don't mind to give you a ride,

I'm in the area of 427 & Eglinton. What about you?

Jun 2004
    I'm only in Burlington so not that far at all but I could drive someone up if they needed it or if anyone wants to car pool.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'd be able most evening and could be for the weekends aswell, sounds like there should be enough of us!

Mar 2004

too far for car pool

too bad I live in hwy7 and yonge, anyone live nearby?

mtbr member

Good job! Alright...Phase3

Well it looks like we may have at least 5.....

and the majority has selected a weeknight course....If im not mistaken..any night was good

So how is July 28th or July 29th (Wednesday or Thursday)...If these days are not cool, please provide an alternate day which would be better for you. Also, please respond as soon as possible so I can check with WOW for availablity.

I have set up an Html account, please send your confirmation to this address with the following info:

Name, email contact, preferred date.
    I will put all this onto a spreadsheet and send it back to everyone. Please indicate if you do not wish to have your email address shown. If you require a ride or want to arrange car pooling, after your preferred date, add your general area intersection and if you can provide a ride or need one.

Please send your response to: groupridesignup...at...hotmail...dot...com
    for above...no spaces, no dots ([email protected]) avoid spam!!

Look forward to hearing from you....

Cheers,

Smiley