Rocky Mountain Sherpa - Love The Ride!- Mtbr.com
    Muskoka

Rocky Mountain Sherpa - Love The Ride!

the Sherpa on terrain for which it is intended; rooted, rocky, gnarly Canadian Shield trail...

Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 04-23-2016 at 04:20 PM.
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wow, awesome looking bike. Love the graphics. Great pics as well.

mtbr member

Rocky Mountain Sherpa - Love The Ride!

Congratulations!
    Great graphics!

9 lives
    Sweet trail bike. Love the Nepalese Snow Lion graphics on this frame
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

No. Just No.
    Custom matching graphics on the rims even! How/when do you intend to use this "tweener" tire diameter vs. your existing skinnier and fatter options?
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Custom matching graphics on the rims even! How/when do you intend to use this "tweener" tire diameter vs. your existing skinnier and fatter options?
    The Sherpa will replace my Altitude, which I probably and regretfully will put up for sale in the spring....

The Sherpa will make a great daily driver trail bike AND my intention is to utilize its bikepacking capabilities with rides from home out to the numerous secluded small lakes accessible by trails in my area. As I'm close to retirement I think this would be a lot of fun and adds a interesting dimension to mtbiking. No intention to use the Sherpa on snow, The Mayor will continue to handle those duties. I also use The Mayor for evening rides year round with Blue because its ideal for the BikeTowLeash that I use to get him from house to trail head...

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

More than a little slow
    Wow.
    That is one awesome looking bike.
    There is no exclamation mark after the "Wow" above because it's spoken in hushed tones of awe.
    Cheers, Dave

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    She's a beauty...congratulations!

mtbr member
    That is a very nice ride BCD. Looks awesome and very capable.
    When I replace my trusty ride, it will be something like that. I am digging the new 27+ bikes though they seem to encroach somewhat on the fatty territory. I still love riding my Beargrease summer and winter. I can't believe I am saying this, but I am looking forward to a bit of snow.
    Burnt Norton

Moderator Moderator
    Very nice BCD! Love the look of that bike.

Muskoka
    Thanks all
    Soon will have to put it away until spring ...that's going to hurt!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka

Impressions

Winter in my neck of the woods is holding off nicely...Mother Nature just knows I have a new bike and deserve to get a least few good rides in
    This morning I did a 22K out and back from home on some trails that aptly match the intent of the Sherpa - Overland. A good mix of gnarly single track and forest access roads, plus a wee bit of connector road riding.
    I'm ~5'9" and 175-180 lb kitted out with riding gear, hydration pack etc. on a medium Sherpa. McLeod shock is set for 28% sag and the Magnum fork 29%. Left the fork wide open throughout but ended up liking the shock better with 2 clicks damping in. I'm in the ballpark for sag but going by rider feel I would prefer the fork a bit softer and the shock a bit firmer in the open positions. I might tweak this a bit next ride and ignore sag however, knowing these do take a few rides to break in. Tires are ~ 15-16 psi range and I certainly wouldn't want them any firmer at my weight. They roll great at that pressure and handle the gnarly bits really well too but I think dropping 2 psi would give a somewhat plusher ride like I would expect from 27.5+ Also tubeless would be good, like make that switch over the winter.

The Sherpa has pretty much identical stance side by side with my Altitude, except seat tube is noticeably slacker! On the trail this gives a very nice semi upright riding position, but the bike suspension feels more 'XC' than 'Trail Bike'. Which is a good thing for the type of terrain and riding here, the bike feels like it would gobble up the miles! Coming from a 26er trail bike and also a long time fat bike owner, the Sherpa as outfitted rides much more like a regular mtbike than a 'mid-fat" bike. It rolls really well, charges through the gnarly bits with aplomb, and the real stand out - climbing!! Although 5 lb heavier than my Altitude, I climbed easily up and over grades that would have given me pause with either the 26er or the fat bike, also cleaning sections that were often a fail in the past.
    One thing I don't like is the short Shimano brake levers, they are only 2 1/4" long vs the 3" levers of the Avids on my Altitude and Mayor. Since I run grip shift that means I have to slide my hands inward onto the shifter sections of my grips while braking on the Sherpa. Not a huge deal but somewhat annoying.
    Cheers...
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 04-23-2016 at 04:12 PM.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr Decade+
    Sexy. Even the tea in front of the fire. Sexy.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet