Right tool for the job - Commuting season starting!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Right tool for the job - Commuting season starting!

Evil Jr.
    My UTE is "in transit". Should be here any day now. Let the grocery getting/trail building season begin!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Nice one! I just today saw that Xtracycle kit for the first time near Yonge and Eglinton; needless to say it caught my eye without even trying. Not sure what was underneath it but it was black and may have been that same frame. I've been idly contemplating whether or not I should be the first person ever to shop at Costco by bike (at least my local Costco never has any bikes locked up outside) but I see what you mean about having the right rig for the job!

mtbr member
    Commuting "season"?
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Some of us are less the frozen apples than others.

I draw the line at snow. I may be forced out in the rain occasionally, but if it is snowing, the car becomes the tool of choice.

DG

mtbr member
    You're also around Yonge and Sheppard right, which way are you commuting?

BTW, If you're willing to drive a car anywhere around Yonge and Sheppard in a rush hour snowstorm, I think you're crazier than us idiots riding in the snow.

The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Straight down Sheppard to Downsview.

Maybe the long way back to get some extra miles in.

DG

mtbr member
    Its not a big dummy or a ute but it does the trick for me. Getting back and forth from work every day, getting groceries, taking packages to the post office whatever needs to be done. I decided last year that all I would really need a car for is to go mountain biking!

You will love the big dummy great choice!
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I thought that my commuting seasons would end when snow falls. Before I wouldn't take bike out if it was lower than 15C. This winter -25C plus windchill wasn't that big of a deal.

Unfortunately I managed to destroy a pair or race wheels doing this. And only now I finally built up a bike that is suitable for winter: single speed, cheap heavy wheels with studded tires. Awww Yeeeeeah.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by GroceryBagHead
    And only now I finally built up a bike that is suitable for winter: single speed, cheap heavy wheels with studded tires. Awww Yeeeeeah.
    Keep an eye on it all the same. Last winter, a long-serving White freewheel seized and went BOOM! It thought those things were indestructible but it looks like its bearings like salty water just as much as any others!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

namagomi
    Hope that works out for ya, did you purchase their specific panniers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GroceryBagHead
    Unfortunately I managed to destroy a pair or race wheels doing this.
    ?

Bearings? Galvanic corrosion around the spoke holes? I've ridden my XC bike to work for eight winters (I prefer the wrong tool for the job) and that's all I've gotten so far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hope that works out for ya, did you purchase their specific panniers?
    They are on order but haven't arrived yet. I rigged up a standard "shorty" rack in the interim so I have a platform on which to strap stuff down.

Bike has fenders now too.

Man, I'm going all Yehuda Moon. If I start considering tweed and a rain cape, somebody shoot me.

DG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
    ?

Bearings? Galvanic corrosion around the spoke holes? I've ridden my XC bike to work for eight winters (I prefer the wrong tool for the job) and that's all I've gotten so far.
    You've got discs. Smart money is on sidewalls blowing out from brake wear.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth
    Yeah, it won't take long... maybe a season or two. Rims are disposable though...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth
    I probably should have thought of that, given that the reason I put discs on that bike was...sidewalls blowing out from brake wear.

Happened at speed, as well, good thing they were all back wheels.

Still, it took me a couple seasons to grind through them. One winter would require lots of wet sand and some serious stop-and-go traffic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I got my first commute of the year in a few weeks ago. Since then the weather hasn't quite co-operated, but a few days next week look promising. With 32km to ride each way, I like it at least a few degrees above freezing, and dry. Enough sunlight is helpful too.

Evil Jr.
    w00t, the Ute is in! Just gotta find some time to put it together!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers
    I got my first commute of the year in a few weeks ago. Since then the weather hasn't quite co-operated, but a few days next week look promising. With 32km to ride each way, I like it at least a few degrees above freezing, and dry. Enough sunlight is helpful too.
    Another dropmachine refugee... fleeing the spam bots?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
    Another dropmachine refugee... fleeing the spam bots?
    You could put it that way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Survived my first commute no problem. 15 min to work (in rush hour) 12 min from (in the wee hours this AM)

That's almost too short for a decent workout. Coming up the hills with 60-odd lbs of BD does work the guads, but I'm going to have to figured out an extended route back so I can get more distance.

Hey GM, what part of town are you in?

DG

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by RecceDG
    Hey GM, what part of town are you in?
    I actually live in Hamilton and my commute is WAY too long to consider doing by bike (80km each way) so the bike will mostly be used for running errands... and TRAILBUILDING!

I took some "me" time yesterday afternoon to put the UTE together in the dining room it is HUGE! The stock panniers are going to be the toughest thing to get used to as they're really wide but overall it rides really well with vaguely slow handling.

namagomi
    Here is hoping both of you guys don't grow beards and end up rifling through dumpsters and strapping down up endless donor frames found on the curbs of suburban homes.

GM, you be careful if you take it downtown with a shovel or pick-axe on the back, might get stopped and charged!!

"it's for trail building, honest!!"

Members who have read this thread: 0