riding the bruce trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

riding the bruce trail

wanted to add this to the "watershed wednesday " thread but it's closed.

http://www.orangeville.com/opinion/l...ike-riders-bad

nice job Dgage.

mtbr member
    Thanks
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Yes. Excellent point.

mtbr member
    Good response Dgage!

Moderator Moderator
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Dgage ,check your PM 's

humber river advocate
    local caledon paper...

broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

wanna be racer...settling
    Argh...yet another hurdle for mankind and another step forward for the blue hairs that love to make rules.....you should see the signs they put up around a local conservation area around Kingston...GRAVEL trail even...indicating the same...no other word comes to mind but....Brutal *shaking head*

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    local caledon paper...

look closely at the picture
    I think they're saying no rigid bikes with v-brakes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    look closely at the picture
    I think they're saying no rigid bikes with v-brakes

namagomi
    Time to learn the unicycle.

Bicycle are allowed on many sections of the bruce trail which are not in the possession of private land owners.

humber river advocate
    that sign was put up by the hvhta, they had over a grand to spend... instead of improving trail they spent it on no biking signs...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Wow... how different things are in Niagara.

The ShortHills Cycling Club has been working with the local Niagara Bruce Trail Association on improving the trails in our area. We actually had some of their members attend our IMBA TCC session and help out with our trail building efforts.

So is this just up to the local BTA to decide on what is done in their area?

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

humber river advocate
    pretty much, read about it here... minutes also

http://www.humbertrail.org/

they need help and fresh blood, but they don't want it from mtber's...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The BTC are a bunch of douchbags. A bunch of grey-hairs that are unwilling to let any other user group enjoy the trails. They don't want to work with mtbers or rock climbers.

namagomi
    Don't mess with the precioussss.

mtbr member
    what a shame

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the good comments everyone. just waiting to hear what the BTA has to say.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

Evil Jr.
    I'm going to give you a Rep point for that Dgage!

Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL View Post
    So is this just up to the local BTA to decide on what is done in their area?
    The answer to that really lies with the landowner. Some want/welcome bikes while others don't. The BTC would prefer the whole thing to be bike-free but they have limited say in the matter despite their little signs.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I wonder what would happen if they catch you on the Bruce Trail? You get a fine? I mean really, what could they do?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The Bruce Trail passes through our property, I have no issues with bikers (being one my self) these type of signs upset me quite a bit, even more so when I try and bike amazing sections and see signs like this yet we let others use our property.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayline View Post
    The Bruce Trail passes through our property, I have no issues with bikers (being one my self) these type of signs upset me quite a bit, even more so when I try and bike amazing sections and see signs like this yet we let others use our property.
    I'm curious; do you have some sort of right-of-way agreement with the BTA? The Bruce that runs by our house is actually on public property so they don't need to talk to me.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Someone mentioned that if you go on the Bruce Trail with your bike you could be charged with trespassing.

Realistically how could they charge you? Call the police and wait around 40 minutes? The police are going to park on the road and walk the Bruce trail for 3+kms just to pass out a trespassing fine?

Doesn't seem realistic to me, but I would be interested to know what happened to people that actually rode on it and got caught. Doesn't seem realistic they could do anything really, so it's kind of a strawman rule.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The local IMBA chapter should start talking to all the private land owners that actually own the land the Bruce trail is on. Lay out a clear argument for mtb to be allowed on their portion of the trail. After all they are the ones that ACTUALLY own that portion of the trail. I'd be willing to bet many of them don't mind the bikers.

Remember the BTC is not some government agency, they are just a user group that got themselves organized and linked up public trails by asking private land owners for use of the land.

There is no single reason why the Bruce from tip to tip should not be open to mtb.

mtbr member
    These threads are quite interesting, I do see both sides of the fence, as people would like a safe walking area and not be startled by people riding quickly past them (that would indicate they should have no trail running signs up as well). But it is horrible to see that there is so much potential for a good sustainable and diverse trails, but they can't be used or built because one user group organized and put up signs first.
    I also see the conservation side of things, I have learned a lot though people I have recently be hanging out with, they have taught me quite a bit on how conservation authorities run, and how area's are managed.

I am always impressed with the works a lot of you have done keep up the good work everybody for promoting one of the best sports around.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    just got back from a ride and was pleased to see this thread's been cleaned up a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    The local IMBA chapter should start talking to all the private land owners that actually own the land the Bruce trail is on. Lay out a clear argument for mtb to be allowed on their portion of the trail. After all they are the ones that ACTUALLY own that portion of the trail. I'd be willing to bet many of them don't mind the bikers.

Remember the BTC is not some government agency, they are just a user group that got themselves organized and linked up public trails by asking private land owners for use of the land.

There is no single reason why the Bruce from tip to tip should not be open to mtb.
    great idea
    i agree that there are a number of them that would go along

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    This topic seems to come up repeatedly. I'm of mixed mind myself, but for the sake of argument since no one from the BTA reads this forum, let's consider this: If the Bruce trail did not presently exist, would anyone on this forum who is presently calling for a seat at the BTA table be out there doing the legwork to make it happen? It took years of dedication from a small group of people who had a very specific vision. There are plenty of similar projects cyclists could undertake today, to build something rather large out of nothing.... as long as we are not getting totally shut out by land managers, and recent evidence shows as many successes as not, then why not focus on creating rather than using?

Another angle which I see is that cyclists are in fact much better builders than maintainers... in my experience at Kolapore it was quite easy to get cyclists out to build a new bridge or reroute a trail section, but the year-in year-out process of routine maintenance was done largely by a small core group of non-cyclists. Whereas the Bruce trail is primarily a maintenance project at this time, not a building project. Spend a few years maintaining with them, especially in the Bruce section where BTA members are scarce, and see what sort of relationships arise. Speaking of the north Bruce, I've seen a couple of interesting items this summer. Bruce national park staff invited the IMBA team to visit and tour their land base, and, the park also co-sponsored a build day at the nearby Lindsay tract just outside their land base. Anyone care to put 2 and 2 together here? I'm not myself in the loop, but I'm guessing there's an opportunity to get involved.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    Bruce national park staff invited the IMBA team to visit and tour their land base, and, the park also co-sponsored a build day at the nearby Lindsay tract just outside their land base. Anyone care to put 2 and 2 together here? I'm not myself in the loop, but I'm guessing there's an opportunity to get involved.
    When we had the TCC staying with us earlier this month, they were very positive about their time up there. I got the impression that something is about to happen but the final plan is somewhat fluid right now. Still, very good stuff!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    then why not focus on creating rather than using?
    To counter this why not build on the great resource and open it up to more users.

Do we need to create create create? Build more more more? Building more new trail takes great amounts of resources. Is going out and building another network the best use of resources?

In some areas yes the user conflict is not worth the hassle. But from Glen Haffy to the northern tip it would be a waste of resources to build another trail. Sure a couple minor sections might need a parallel trail (Hockley Valley for the first km from the road) but as it stands there are major sections that see very very few users.

Parks Canada has come to the realization that few people in the future generations of Canadians are into hiking. They are looking to diversify by allowing mtb on the trails, I think the BTA would be smart to do the same.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    there are major sections that see very very few users.
    There are a number of sections of the Bruce Trail that I ride somewhat regularly, and hiking traffic seems pretty low. These sections may not see a lot of active maintenance from mountain bikers, but to me it seems the trails benefit simply from being used. Riding speed on most of the sections I ride is pretty slow due to the technical nature of the riding, and combining that with the low traffic in general, I don’t see any issue in sharing the trail with hikers. I don’t recall having anything but pleasant encounters with hikers while riding the Bruce.

The sections of the Bruce that I like to ride are in my opinion some of the best riding in the province, and I think that is partly because they were NOT built as mountain bike trails and hence have a lot of technical challenges. There’s a downside to that too though, in that the trail doesn’t always take full advantage of some of the features near the trail, and there are occasionally some unnecessarily bike UNfriendly features (stairs with railings for instance). In my mind there is no need for a separate dedicated network, though there are lots of sections where alternate routes would make the trail more bike friendly and minimize user conflicts (ie split the trail where you have a higher speed downhill section, ladder bridges/ramps in parallel with stairs, etc).

Returning to the maintenance aspect… If biking is permitted (or welcomed!) on the Bruce Trail I think you’d have a much better shot at getting riders out to maintain the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    There's no doubt you have a valid argument, but I just wanted to put the other side out there. I myself would love to try to ride it end-to-end. In lieu of that, I've walked it (with the exception of Niagara-Grimsby) and that process has led me to see at least in part why the BTA is not so open to cyclists.

Here's one example. There are sections of the trail where you can see old blazes that have been scraped off underneath freshly painted blazes. This indicates that a double reroute took place, ie two changes of ownership/permission. Over 400 km of the route is privately owned. Is that 100 separate land-owners? More? The number of reroutes that take place annually indicates that permission for hiking alone is not always easy to obtain and retain. If you want to add cycling permission as well, who's volunteering to do the extra work?

As far as I'm aware, the association is lacking membership only in the peninsula section... I don't believe they are short of paying members anywhere else. And, there are more than enough members in the Toronto area with the cash and time to drive on weekends and do the work in the remote sections. From what I've seen, hikers are an older crowd. To predict that there will be fewer of them is to predict that some other activity will attract the attention of the 50-something crowd. What activity did you have in mind? I'm guessing it'll be hiking for a long time to come. I'll probably become one too when my back and wrists are too shot to ride singletrack.