Read this if you ride Jefferson Forest @ Stouffville & Bayview Road- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Read this if you ride Jefferson Forest @ Stouffville & Bayview Road

Hey everyone, just a heads up that there is some nasty activity going down in the forest at Bayview and Stouffville Road.

Tonight I was out for a ride and got clotheslined by a black climbing rope, tied across the trail between two trees. It was at head level while on the bike and got me right in the neck/face, which ripped and broke the helmet right off my head.

There was another rope about 20-30 feet down the same trail.

I had also found a large rope tied across one of the wide double trails back there, about a month or two ago, but didn't think anything of it (for some reason, oops).

I cut them down, but be aware! Someone is going to get seriously hurt if the jackass keeps doing that. If I had been going any faster I would have been down for the count.

9 lives
    ^ Let the cops and the land manager know right away
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Finally!
    For sure. Be sure to keep an eye on any hikers with rope.
    Turn the rope into the police as it may help them find the asshat!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    ^ Let the cops and the land manager know right away
    Called the cops trailside and they won't do anything. They said to call the conservation authority or whatever.

I left them a message, but I'll be giving them a call shortly.

I cut the ropes down, but mistakenly left them on the trees. I was just fuming so I didn't think of it; I did grab a picture before I cut them though.

I've crashed and broke bones on my bikes, but this was by far the scariest thing to happen as I had absolutely no idea what the hell happened. One second I'm riding a long, listening to the birds and then boom, on the ground without a helmet.

Finally!
    Please keep record of the date and time you called the police and they refused to help you . Even the name of the officer at dispatch when you called would be great. Someone who is injured by this may wish to sue your local police department for their lack of due diligence in this matter. This is a criminal act and not a MNR issue. Setting man traps is highly illegal. Either they misunderstood what you meant or are plain stupid about the outcome of this sort of thing. I will tell you this...if I ever came across someone doing this it would be years before the cops found the body!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    It's ridiculous the police ignored your call. How many people need to be injured before they respond?

mtbr member
    Wow, I cannot believe the cops dismissed this. Unacceptable.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The more I think of it, the more I'm disappointed in the cops response. Its not like I called 911 or something, I called one of the stations and asked to report an incident. They didn't even offer to take my name or anything...

Few days later and now both arms are bruised from where I hit the rope.

In my eyes, this is no different than when they found pieces of wood embedded with razor blades down at one of the beaches in Toronto a few years ago. Someone has intentionally done something to cause harm to another person.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What the hell is wrong with people.

I remember when the Dagmar North trails were being built, there was a few local land owners that would harass the builders for various reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if I run into one of these boobietraps soon enough.

OP is lucky to have only sustained minor injuries. This kind of crap could easily kill someone.

Butchered by autocorrect on my SG5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Went back today and took another look; found a third rope right where I hit the others. Someone must have cut that one before I went riding on Thursday or something.

I think I might be done riding that particular trail...

mtbr member
    Don't give in,,thats what they want...just ride it slowly and keep taking down any traps.
    If you can set up up a trail cam.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadmos View Post
    Went back today and took another look; found a third rope right where I hit the others. Someone must have cut that one before I went riding on Thursday or something.

If you stop riding there, the a$$holes win!

Butchered by autocorrect on my SG5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I was just there this week, twice! What part of the trail did you find these ropes?

Finally!

Keep riding there ,keep photo evidence and call the cops each time you find something despite what they say. Someone else will be thankful you did when either they ride by unscathed or the perp behind this is caught. Tell others to do the same. Be diligent in finding this person. You owe them some payback and could save someone else ass in the process.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I have alerted Metro Morning on CBC. I'll let you know if they want to get in touch.

Hey everyone, just a heads up that there is some nasty activity going down in the forest at Bayview and Stouffville Road.

Tonight I was out for a ride and got clotheslined by a black climbing rope, tied across the trail between two trees. It was at head level while on the bike and got me right in the neck/face, which ripped and broke the helmet right off my head.

I had also found a large rope tied across one of the wide double trails back there, about a month or two ago, but didn't think anything of it (for some reason, oops).

I cut them down, but be aware! Someone is going to get seriously hurt if the jackass keeps doing that. If I had been going any faster I would have been down for the count.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Hey Canadmos, I'm a reporter with York Region Media Group (Richmond Hill Liberal etc) and my son rode there for years. This is really disturbing and I'd like to do a story on it. Can you contact me with a few more details and I'll see what I can do? Thanks! [email protected]

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Shocking news , thanks for the update and warnings

I've never been on these trails, but it's right in my backyard. Are there any local ride groups, weekly rides? Who typically maintains the trails?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug View Post
    I have alerted Metro Morning on CBC. I'll let you know if they want to get in touch.

mtbr member
    [SARCASM]I am so completely shocked the police were non responsive to a legitimate safety concern.[/SARCASM]
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Okay let's be careful with how we say things, no need to start a riot here. 1. What was the exact location of this incident? I'm talking about trail names and exact spots where these ropes were located. This is for a number of reasons. Primarily, the north eastern forested portion of the property is used by the York Region District School Board and is used for educational purposes for children. In the past I have come across rope blocking trails with signs saying something along the lines of "please do not remove ropes, they let the kids know what the boundaries are." I can imagine that if those signs were removed then the ropes would clearly look like sabotage when they are not. Please provide more clarification as to what happened with your particular incident

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Hermo View Post
    Okay let's be careful with how we say things, no need to start a riot here. 1. What was the exact location of this incident? I'm talking about trail names and exact spots where these ropes were located. This is for a number of reasons. Primarily, the north eastern forested portion of the property is used by the York Region District School Board and is used for educational purposes for children. In the past I have come across rope blocking trails with signs saying something along the lines of "please do not remove ropes, they let the kids know what the boundaries are." I can imagine that if those signs were removed then the ropes would clearly look like sabotage when they are not. Please provide more clarification as to what happened with your particular incident
    Signs or no, I'd suggest that placing ropes across trails that see multiple types of users is a bad idea. Too easy to miss if moving quickly, and of course if the signs fall off or are removed, then a rope can become hard to sport - especially if it is unanticipated. There must be ways to provide boundary information to children that don't impact other users (assuming this is the source of the original rope above)?

Finally!
    Whether put there maliciously or not whoever put them up needs a slap. This could have permanently injured the OP or someone else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikingnerd View Post
    Signs or no, I'd suggest that placing ropes across trails that see multiple types of users is a bad idea. Too easy to miss if moving quickly, and of course if the signs fall off or are removed, then a rope can become hard to sport - especially if it is unanticipated. There must be ways to provide boundary information to children that don't impact other users (assuming this is the source of the original rope above)?
    It would also be common sense not to use black, as it would be all but invisible. Either way, someone needs a talking to of some sort - it's either malicious and intended to endanger riders, or it's legit but been done in an extremely ill-advised manner and should have signs as well as flagging tape streaming off of it along the whole length.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikingnerd View Post
    From my understanding the area of the forest that I am talking about is closed to everyone except school groups at all times. I'm not saying I don't ride in there but in the past I have ridden around the rope since the sign asked that it was not to be removed.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    The TRCA issued the following statement

TRCA

Issued: June 7, 2016

Re: Mountain Biking Incident at Oak Ridges Corridor Conservation Reserve in Richmond Hill

On Friday June 3, 2016 Toronto and Region Conservation (TRCA) learned of an incident involving a cyclist coming in contact with a rope strung across a trail at the Oak Ridges Corridor Conservation Reserve.

Upon hearing of the incident, we immediately conducted a site inspection during which we located some ropes already cut down, and one still strung up which TRCA staff cut down right away. As owners and managers of the property, we consider the safety of all visitors to the park as a highest priority and take this incident extremely seriously.

TRCA’s investigation to date has determined that the ropes were placed as part of student safety measures to support outdoor education activities on the site. TRCA is working with York Region District School Board to review student safety procedures and mechanisms within this publicly accessible greenspace with the intention that incidents such as this never occur again.

Mountain biking is a permitted activity on marked trails in this park. We will continue to be vigilant in keeping TRCA conservation areas safe and welcoming to all users.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Hermo View Post
    Hey Mike, I think I have bumped into you on the trail before. I am the guy on the Banshee.

The ropes were out near the Swan Lake building. When I rode out there that day, there were no signs. These ropes were tied across one of the single track trails, near the pine area and kind of near the main trail that goes back to the building.

I don't want to start a riot or anything like that, but whoever put up the ropes, did so without any thought of to who might venture onto the trails. Like I mentioned before, if I had been pedaling or going any faster, I would have for sure hit the ground very hard.

For what its worth, its been a week and my throat still hurts from where my helmet was ripped off my head.

Again, not trying to cause drama, but I just wanted to warn riders that this stuff was being done out there. It would be very unfortunate for someone else to get seriously injured.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

contacting for story

Hey Mike, I think I have bumped into you on the trail before. I am the guy on the Banshee.

The ropes were out near the Swan Lake building. When I rode out there that day, there were no signs. These ropes were tied across one of the single track trails, near the pine area and kind of near the main trail that goes back to the building.

I don't want to start a riot or anything like that, but whoever put up the ropes, did so without any thought of to who might venture onto the trails. Like I mentioned before, if I had been pedaling or going any faster, I would have for sure hit the ground very hard.

For what its worth, its been a week and my throat still hurts from where my helmet was ripped off my head.

Again, not trying to cause drama, but I just wanted to warn riders that this stuff was being done out there. It would be very unfortunate for someone else to get seriously injured.
    Hey Canadmos - I'm a reporter in York Region and I've been following up on your original post, have spoken with YRP, TRCA and school board about this. Can you contact me please? I'd like to include an update from your latest venture to that area of the trail. Thanks! [email protected]

mtbr member
    You have to wonder why they didn't use caution tape?
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KimZ View Post
    Hey Canadmos - I'm a reporter in York Region and I've been following up on your original post, have spoken with YRP, TRCA and school board about this. Can you contact me please? I'd like to include an update from your latest venture to that area of the trail. Thanks! [email protected]
    Sorry, I don't think I'm interested in being involved in that. I don't want to throw anyone under the bus or anything, I just wanted to inform some fellow bikers to keep their eyes peeled.

Finally!
    Sorry, I don't think I'm interested in being involved in that. I don't want to throw anyone under the bus or anything, I just wanted to inform some fellow bikers to keep their eyes peeled.
    A story might stop someone else from taking a face full of rope on the trail by developing awareness in people who read it and who may not have considered bikes when "marking" the trail.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
    A story might stop someone else from taking a face full of rope on the trail by developing awareness in people who read it and who may not have considered bikes when "marking" the trail.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    They have more than enough information to run a story.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    They have more than enough information to run a story.
    I had hoped to include your photo of the ropes, but no worries, here's the story now - and yes, I'm hoping it will warn others to think twice: Ropes on Richmond Hill trails serious safety hazard, mountain bikers say

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I had hoped to include your photo of the ropes, but no worries, here's the story now - and yes, I'm hoping it will warn others to think twice: Ropes on Richmond Hill trails serious safety hazard, mountain bikers say
    It wasn't a good picture anyways... The most useful thing about it was the embedded GPS coordinates.

Thank you for writing the story, though. I'm on the fence about this whole thing; I know I did the correct thing notifying people about this, but I also don't want to be labeled as the guy that got these trails closed for good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is it just me or if the rope was high enough to hit a rider in the head it was way too high to act as a barricade for someone on foot? Most ropes/chains I've seen blocking trails are placed at hip-height.