Ravenshoe status?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ravenshoe status?

Last I heard, Ravenshoe was getting a bunch of the stunts removed? What's the situation right now, are all the good stunts removed? Thinking of heading up there on Saturday, but not if all the fun stuff is gone....

Thanks!

Shibby

HAL
    mtbr member

You heard correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    Last I heard, Ravenshoe was getting a bunch of the stunts removed? What's the situation right now, are all the good stunts removed? Thinking of heading up there on Saturday, but not if all the fun stuff is gone....

Thanks!

Shibby
    all the stunts have been cut down! Word has it some kid wrecked and I guess his parents must have seen dollar signs, so now there isn't much point in making the trek to rave.

Sorry bud, I was pretty bummed when I heard too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No good

It's all gone now? That frigging sucks. Thanks for the info though. It looks like stunts are coming down everywhere. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when municipalities crumble under the pressure of parents who blame others for their kids mistakes (or adults who won't take responsibility for their own mistakes). Maybe I should go ride my bike into a light post and make the city take them all down

Does anyone know where there ARE stunts (within an hour of Toronto) that aren't in danger of being torn down in the immediate future?

Thanks,

Shibby

Apr 2004

dufferin forest?

last time i was out at dufferin forest there was some really big stuff built up. it's just over an hour and the last time i was out there was mid april. it was actually really well built too - unlike a lot of the stuff at ravenshoe (and in ontario in general).

mtbr member
    Can you give us directionnally challenged riders an idea of where that is and how to get there

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 12XU
    last time i was out at dufferin forest there was some really big stuff built up. it's just over an hour and the last time i was out there was mid april. it was actually really well built too - unlike a lot of the stuff at ravenshoe (and in ontario in general).

Apr 2004

directions.

it's just a bit north of mansfield. head north on the 400 to either 89 or 9 (depends on if you want to go through alliston or not). once you hit either hang a left. continue driving west until you hit airport road, take a right and head north. mansfield (both the ski hill and mountain bike center) are 10 km north of 89.i usually take 9 across it's a bit faster as it doesn't go through any towns. the ski hill is on your left and the mountain bike center will be on your right. go past the mountain bike center and pull off at the next right - about 1 minute. you can park in here and the trailhead is pretty easy to find. a gps is a good idea for this place as it's extremely easy to get lost. i may head up there next weekend and check it out.

-d

I already rode that
    Tons of stunts all over TO if you dont mind the concrete stuff.
    Just remember to get written permission from both your mommie and daddie before riding down any curb higher then 3"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey 12XU,

Thanks a lot for the heads up on Dufferin Forest, I think I'll check it out Saturday. Is it really bad (or good, depending on your point of view I guess) for climbing? And since I don't have a GPS, how 'lost' can you get? Is it like "we'll just ride all afternoon until we stumble upon the way out" or like "The Blair Witch Project" lost? Are there maps available at the LBS?

Thanks a lot for the help, man!

sock puppet

The Blair Witch Project - thats funny...

thanks for the chuckle...

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    Hey 12XU,

Thanks a lot for the heads up on Dufferin Forest, I think I'll check it out Saturday. Is it really bad (or good, depending on your point of view I guess) for climbing? And since I don't have a GPS, how 'lost' can you get? Is it like "we'll just ride all afternoon until we stumble upon the way out" or like "The Blair Witch Project" lost? Are there maps available at the LBS?

Thanks a lot for the help, man!

Mar 2004

No good I got a map...

a long time ago...the same map publisher that you see in local bike shops...small folded black and gold coloured. I think I got this one in Collingwood along with a map for "three stages". I've never tried Dufferin forest, so maybe this weekend is the time. My mates and I are going out on sunday...I'll post if we're going there and I'll for sure bring my map. If it shares the same terrain with Mansfield, yep there's climbing (groan), but I'd love to check out some new ( and well built) stunts. Very sad about the Shoe.
    Gabe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambhead
    a long time ago...the same map publisher that you see in local bike shops...small folded black and gold coloured. I think I got this one in Collingwood along with a map for "three stages". I've never tried Dufferin forest, so maybe this weekend is the time. My mates and I are going out on sunday...I'll post if we're going there and I'll for sure bring my map. If it shares the same terrain with Mansfield, yep there's climbing (groan), but I'd love to check out some new ( and well built) stunts. Very sad about the Shoe.
    Gabe
    Yo Gabe make sure to post up about the stunts and what sort of trails you find ... always looking for more stunts to hit up.

Clem