Rate your LBS- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rate your LBS

LBS Manager

Rate your LBS

I have a great one Bike Zone Barrie I give them a 9.5 out of ten. They loose 0.5 because they don't sell Rocky Mountain (hint hint). Anyone else have a great relationship with their LBS.

They say I have a problem
    Right now I'm between shops *laugh*....

I use to live in Milton and Spoke and Slopes was my shop...I bought a number of bikes there and I got treated really well...Then things changed and I moved away so the search began for a new shop...I live in Dundas now and do my gotta have it now shopping at Freewheel...Of course I have to duck around Vince, but that's another story...If I have any serious repairs I need done I head up to Bicycle Works in Waterdown...A lot of my purchases these days have been online or when I've been away in the States...My wife and I did however buy our latest road bikes from a shop in Newmarket, they seemed pretty good...

Really I can't rate any shop because I'm not in there enough...I'd have to say that if I had to choose one I'd pick Bicycle Works...The guys know there stuff and they don't BS you...I get some deals, but I don't really expect them there because I don't buy enough...At least there when I walk in they know who I am and give me the time day...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

Bike Junkie

www.cyclesolutions.com

I'm a big fan of these guys. Always helpful and will easily mail order anything to you. I know for a fact because they ship to BC all the time.

They have 2 shops so their product line is Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain, Specialized, Giant and many more. They've pretty much got you covered.

If they don't have it they can get it and they get it pretty fast. Just talk to Roger, Steve or Daniel and they'll get just about anything for you and ship it out just to keep you riding.
    See You On The Trails!

I already rode that
    For being a big fan you sure forgot their website.... The one you show goes to a motorcycle site *hint* missing a ( - ) in there

Mar 2005
    well i do deal with freewheel in dundas.i really like thier service i ride with vince and others on wed. night.they have a lot to offer good bikes they have a lot of classes(spinning,maintance1&2,day trips,and more.i give them a 9.5 they could have some cheaper stuff.

rad to the power of sick
    Cyclepath Oakville 10/10

Staff are courteous and very sociable. They understand the worth of a customer and they treat their regulars like kings.

Cheers
    Aaron
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

Dec 2004
    Cyclepath in Oakville for me too, I give them a 9.5 out of 10. They lose 0.5 because the don't have RM or Specialized bikes (the two bikes GF and I are currently riding).

I am a regular and get treated like a king as mentioned above.

Feb 2005
    Rocky Mountain is going to be sold at Wal-Mart and Canadian tire within the next year since they've been bought out by Procycle so you'll have lots of places to buy them now.

LBS Manager

I doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by tenny
    Rocky Mountain is going to be sold at Wal-Mart and Canadian tire within the next year since they've been bought out by Procycle so you'll have lots of places to buy them now.
    People have been saying that for two years now and if anything there bikes have gotten better. Alot of high end bike companies are owned by bigger companies that put out cheap department store bikes.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackOut
    I'm a big fan of these guys. Always helpful and will easily mail order anything to you. I know for a fact because they ship to BC all the time.

They have 2 shops so their product line is Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain, Specialized, Giant and many more. They've pretty much got you covered.

If they don't have it they can get it and they get it pretty fast. Just talk to Roger, Steve or Daniel and they'll get just about anything for you and ship it out just to keep you riding.
    as much as i hate most TO bike shops i like these guys. each and every time i go in they have exactly what i'm looking for at a decent price. they're nice too.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    People have been saying that for two years now and if anything there bikes have gotten better. Alot of high end bike companies are owned by bigger companies that put out cheap department store bikes.
    i agree - balfa is owned by pro cycle as well. i doubt will see any balfa rigs in wal mart anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 12XU
    i agree - balfa is owned by pro cycle as well. i doubt will see any balfa rigs in wal mart anytime soon.
    I thought Balfa was done gone now.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids
    I thought Balfa was done gone now.
    hmmm, could be. there isn't anything on their site. at one time though, yeah, they were owned by pro cycle.

I already rode that
    I read somewhere that Balfa got bought out? or something and moved out east (europe) Dropmachine has the info I think.

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    ABout Balfa...

Some group bought the remaining balfa frames in imported them to the UK. There leftovers, i don't think they're going to build balfa bikes anytime soon... Too bad Balfa closed down... they were building bikes right next door to my house!

The founder of Balfa has a new company now and are building XC/Epic riding frames with 100mm of travel. Sexy stuff... Expresso or something like that...

And you won't see RM at Canadian Tire... Shwinn gives Canadian Tire a much better deal then Procycle...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJay
    ABout Balfa...

Some group bought the remaining balfa frames in imported them to the UK. There leftovers, i don't think they're going to build balfa bikes anytime soon... Too bad Balfa closed down... they were building bikes right next door to my house!

The founder of Balfa has a new company now and are building XC/Epic riding frames with 100mm of travel. Sexy stuff... Expresso or something like that...

And you won't see RM at Canadian Tire... Shwinn gives Canadian Tire a much better deal then Procycle...

In spite of Procycles mis-management and poor marketing, Balfa lives on in England... Read about it here.
    this space left intentionally blank

some kind of hero...
    I have a great one Bike Zone Barrie I give them a 9.5 out of ten. They loose 0.5 because they don't sell Rocky Mountain (hint hint). Anyone else have a great relationship with their LBS.
    Ollie's Cycle in Georgetown.

This is a small shop with knowledgeable staff and competetive prices. Carries Trek, RM and Specialized. Always gives good advice and supports local riding with Tuesday night road rides and Wednesday night XC/freerides. Ollie has always been supportive of our racing team efforts and is great to deal with. It's worth the drive to Georgetown...

Cheers
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

They say I have a problem
    Hey, I thought it was worth the drive to Acton?? Now Georgetown too...Too much driving, let's ride!!
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

mtbr member
    I bought my bike at Duke's mainly because they were the Turner dealer in town and had the frame I wanted hanging on the wall.
    Since then I've found them to be quite pricey and everytime I wanted service it had to be booked it way ahead of time, all very tedious although I guess they're busy so good for them.

I started picking up parts at Cycle Solutions and have really grown to like them as a lbs, very friendly, good prices and ready to order stuff if they don't have it in stock. I have no idea what they're like on the service end though.

For service I've started doing more and more wrenching at home but Terry at Trailblazers on Danforth is the Marzocchi king so he gets to tinker with my fork whenever there's a need for work.

Clem

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    Hey, I thought it was worth the drive to Acton?? Now Georgetown too...Too much driving, let's ride!!
    I think you're on to something...

GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    For service I've started doing more and more wrenching at home but Terry at Trailblazers on Danforth is the Marzocchi king so he gets to tinker with my fork whenever there's a need for work.
    They also carry Turner. I bought my XCE there.
    I've told my Duke's story before so I won't bother repeating except to say I don't shop there.

mtbr member
    I just recently visited Dan at Cycle Soultions and was very impressed.
    I was there looking for shoes and a saddle for my wife's bike.
    Very nice guy, knew a lot, and took his time with us.

I have been dealing with TrailBlazers for my Klein and have been happy there too.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

Space for rent...

Good job!

Another vote for Cyclepath in Oakville.

Good guys willing to go that extra step. Spinning classes on the premises.......nice!
    It's only pain......

Apr 2005
    It was good to see a positive word about Bicycle Works in Waterdown. I just spoke to them on the phone yesterday about a frame set and Brett was very interested and helpful.

I've been into Freewheel in Dundas one Sunday morning. They also seemed like a decent bunch of guys. A couple came into the shop with their bikes while I was there because one of them was having a headset problem while they were out riding. They were given immediate attention and sound advice to get them back on the road again right away. They also have a great website.

I can't leave without putting in a HUGE recommendation for Brant Cycle in Burlington. I started out in that shop and they continue to provide me with outstanding service and resources. I have really appreciated their help up to now. Their only downfall is that they can get busy at times but that still doesn't stop them from giving good service. There are always lots of knowledgable staff on duty. If you're into freeride/downhill, Alex has always given me his straight up opinion (get a haircut dude).

T.Dot Represent
    i go to skiis and biikes they have been good to me and their service department is top notch!!!!!!!!!!
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trekracer8000
    Cyclepath Oakville 10/10

Staff are courteous and very sociable. They understand the worth of a customer and they treat their regulars like kings.

Cheers
    Aaron
    I agree cyclepath is very good. They are very knowledgeable and so close to my house. Only thing is im not sure if they have the bike im lookin for. Last stop is Spokes and Slopes, and hopefully it comes down to Cyclepath or spokes and slops. Cyclepath is a great place.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Anyone use Pedal Performance in Pickering as their LBS?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Good job! LBS rating in Toronto

I would give a rating of 6/10 for Duke cycle. Its pricing is higher than many stores. Their staff doesn't try to help customer to save money. They don't provide customer with tech info before buying a product. I would give sporting life even a lower rating of 5/10.
    Sporting life stores are run by a bunch of teenagers who don't know much about MTB except rollerblading or skateboarding. They lack technical knowledge.

I give rating of 5/10 for all cycle path stores in Toronto. The staff don't provide technical info for customers nor would they try to help them to save money.

I give rating of 8/10 for cycle solutions in Toronto. Their staff are very helpfull. They demontrate to customer the pros/cons of a product. The store work area allows customers to view mechanic performing repair so customer know that they are not cheated on a service or product.

Hoss Dee-Lux'n It
    Mar 2005
    I would have to say Cycle Path Oakville is very good as well. I didn't actually purchase there, because they didn't have my Kona or the wife's Specialized.

Another great on is Gears in Mississauga. That is where I got my setup. Knowledgeable, fast service, friendly. Daily / weekly rides in Kelso and Erindale. Really a good store, but prices are a little high.

Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by icodeit
    I would have to say Cycle Path Oakville is very good as well. I didn't actually purchase there, because they didn't have my Kona or the wife's Specialized.

Another great on is Gears in Mississauga. That is where I got my setup. Knowledgeable, fast service, friendly. Daily / weekly rides in Kelso and Erindale. Really a good store, but prices are a little high.
    I have a personal grudge against Gears, even though they are the closest bike shop to me. They seem to price everything about %10-%20 above MSRP. I went in there looking for a Specialized derailleur hanger and they wanted $65 plus tax, went to Oakville Cycle and Sports and they only charged me $24 for it. Went in there twice trying to test ride a size small Stumpy FSR, they only had about 50 seatposts @ 350 mm length for test rides. Girlfriend couldn't come within 2 inches of touching the pedals while on the bike, they refused to cut a seatpost down for a test ride. The staff seems to have very little knowledge of products or service, they base their sales off marketing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead
    I have a personal grudge against Gears, even though they are the closest bike shop to me. They seem to price everything about %10-%20 above MSRP. I went in there looking for a Specialized derailleur hanger and they wanted $65 plus tax, went to Oakville Cycle and Sports and they only charged me $24 for it. Went in there twice trying to test ride a size small Stumpy FSR, they only had about 50 seatposts @ 350 mm length for test rides. Girlfriend couldn't come within 2 inches of touching the pedals while on the bike, they refused to cut a seatpost down for a test ride. The staff seems to have very little knowledge of products or service, they base their sales off marketing.

Yup. Been there had that done to me.
    Massive suckage. Avoid.
    this space left intentionally blank

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shabbasuraj
    Anyone use Pedal Performance in Pickering as their LBS?
    Anyone?

rad to the power of sick
    Oakville Cycle and Sports is an OK shop. From what I've heard, they treat their regulars well, but becoming a regular is difficult. Their prices are pretty steep.

I can't figure out why Gears has such a loyal following. Their prices are incredibly high, and the employees aren't very personal. I guess its because they have their name stamped on every racing event in Canada.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

Apr 2005

bad experiences...

By far the worst experience I ever had with a shop was with Broadway Cycles/Bike Depot.. I'd avoid those guys. Crooks extraordinaire. I bought a Specialized Stumpjumper Pro hardtail from them, and when I needed new cables/housing I brought it there.. they had advertised "free tune ups with bike purchase for two years" or something, and this would have been about 6-7 months after the fact. To me a "tune up" would be adjusting the shifting if necessary, cleaning/lubing the chain, lubing all pivots/regreasing the pedals/seatpost/etc, and replacing/cleaning the housings and cables (obviously with the customer paying for all hardware needed. They then tell me that a "tune up" is them lubing my chain.. and even to clean it would be extra.. they told me to my face that they would charge me 70.00 (!) to replace my cables and clean my drivetrain... when I told them that this was total BS, one of their mechanics actually started swearing at me. Needless to say I got the hell out of there pretty quickly. I went to Silent Sports whom I have given my business for years (they would have done all of the above, which realistically isn't all that much, for free if I had bought the bike from them). They are an awesome shop and one I would highly recommend. Silent Sports, Skiis and Biikes (a little overpriced though), Sport Swap (same thing, but they have great end-of-season prices usually and tons of stock), or any of the cyclepaths (bloor/yonge and eg). Cycle solutions and Trail Blazers are awesome too. Just Broadway/Bike Depot... AVOID!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Pedal Performance Pickering...

Anyone?

I'm a regular there. The owners are extremely friendly. Never had a bad experience yet. It doesn't take much to become a regular and the owners always remember your face. I'd give it a 9 out of 10. Also brush up on some roadie stuff cuz the owner is a huge roadie

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mols138
    I'm a regular there. The owners are extremely friendly. Never had a bad experience yet. It doesn't take much to become a regular and the owners always remember your face. I'd give it a 9 out of 10. Also brush up on some roadie stuff cuz the owner is a huge roadie
    Hmm.. Thanks for sharing. This is good news as I am in search of a new LBS that can service and warranty Specialized bikes. How are they with the actual servicing of bikes? As mentioned by a few above, they have readly bought bikes at some places but sometimes the service after the purchase can be sometimes less then desired.

With regards to the wrenches that work there, how have been your experiences with them? Are they knowledgeable and take the time (if possible) to carefully explain the services they perform.

Yes, I am aware that everyone's experience will ultimately differ, but hey this is a REVIEW forum right...? LOL

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fastwheniwanttobe
    Just Broadway/Bike Depot... AVOID!
    i hear ya. i bought my first bike here - a gt avalanche 1.0. i replaced the front fork myself. took it in for my "free" tune up and after they found out i replaced it myself they wouldn't give me the tune up. i was like, wtf? i just spent $1500 in your store and you won't take 10 minutes to adjust the shifting? i haven't been back since.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 12XU
    i hear ya. i bought my first bike here - a gt avalanche 1.0. i replaced the front fork myself. took it in for my "free" tune up and after they found out i replaced it myself they wouldn't give me the tune up. i was like, wtf? i just spent $1500 in your store and you won't take 10 minutes to adjust the shifting? i haven't been back since.
    frig... what does the fork have to do with the shifting?

mtbr member
    I'm just going to mention Chain Reaction here. I've had great service from them since 2001 when I bought my Silk Ti there. Picked up my gf's (Sugar 2+) frame there too. I'm currently waiting on my Racer 100X to be delivered that I bought from Chain Reaction. I also bought my Yakima Rack there.

I bought a Turner XCE from Trail Blazers because Chain Reaction couldn't get Turners into the store. Trail Blazers was ok but didn't "Wow!" me like CR.

Jan 2005

Good job! Another thumb up for Silent Sports

Whatever you do....stay away from SportSwap!
    Skiis and Biikes are pricey, but give great service.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TREK'ed-out!
    I bought a Handjob frame from Sportswap a few years ago. They were cheaper than ordering direct from Cove in BC. I built the frame up and never went in for service so I can't comment on that but I was happy enough with the purchase. I was looking for a cassette last year and had the guys at Cyclepath on Bloor tell me that MEC sold factory second parts and I should never buy from them. What a joke! It sounded like sour grapes to me and I've never been back.

Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TREK'ed-out!

What's wrong with SportSwap? I've never had anything but good experiences with them, summer or winter (I got a sweet deal on skis there (Head MadTrix - $350!), and got a Fuel 98 there for a grand total of $2400 after tax). Which made me rather happy 'cos it was an insurance replacement (plus a grand of my own money) after my Stumpjumper Pro got stolen. I'm fully gonna get flamed for this, seeing as SSteel works for The Bike Zone in Mississauga, but I had an extremely bad experience with them last year.. I broke my back in a nasty ski accident in January, and at the bike show I was looking for a suspension seatpost for the hardtail. They seemed to have a good deal on a Tamer XC Pivot Plus seatpost, for around $50. When I went to install it on my bike, the thing had absolutely no rebound. It seemed to be filled with noodles or something.. so I cracked it open. Instead of the coil spring/oil damper that it was supposed to have, there was just a stack of elastomers inside. I contacted the manufacturer and after 3-4 tries (I think EKO is going out of business?) they told me that I bought one of the earliest made posts and it was under "voluntary recall." Obviously this was not what I signed up for so I went to the Bike Zone and wanted to see if I could do anything about it, be it store credit, or whatever. Over the phone they told me that I could exchange it for store credit but when I got there they rescinded on that, basically telling me to my face that I was stuck with a useless post that I bought from them. One of their employees actually had the audacity to tell me to "be an informed buyer.. don't buy something that you don't know what it is." They said they would contact EKO about getting an "upgrade" as they called it for my post (which was BS because it was unuseable) and they said it would be a week and $15 at most. Seeing as this was reasonably fair after all I said OK.. a month later, I get a call saying my post was ready and it would be $50.. by this time I had picked up a used Thudbuster at the Silent Sports swap for $30... as far as I'm concerned they can sell my post. They still have it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fastwheniwanttobe
    a month later, I get a call saying my post was ready and it would be $50...

classic

mtbr member
    It sounds like there are a few places that haven't changed much over the past 10 years.

I used to "live" in the Cyclepath at Crossroads (401 & Weston Road). Those guys were great. They taught me a bunch of stuff that I didn't know. Now theyr'e gone and I do my own work. I've done tune-ups to overhauls and wheel building to shock servicing (oooooold Mag-21's..... remember those?).

What I need now is a place to BUY stuff. Another thing that hasn't changed much over the past 10 years - pricing.

I might have to check out this Cyclepath in Oakville. I was at a few places this weekend (the typical north-of-Steeles-on-Yonge-street places) and didn't get any "good vibes" with any. That Cyclepath south of Finch would be the one to get my money.

Speaking of Cyclepath - wtf ever happened to MAXIM???? They had great value.

Apr 2005
    I just purchased a Demo 8 Pro frame through Oakville Cycle and Sports in addition to some components for the new frame. They were helpful and patient with me as well as prompt in bringing in the parts I needed. Its a family run business that has been around for over 20 years and all the employees I talked to seemed to know their way around a bike. I found their prices to be competitive on most components and better than most on complete bikes and certainly frame sets. They have some excellent deals on some late model Norco bikes (7-9" travel). Check them out.

I was very pleased with my experience at Oakville Cycle and I'll continue to work with them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've only had minor tune ups and adjustments done, so I can't really say but the wrenches have been patient with me when asking abt parts etc...haven't been disappointed with the work they have done so far...also if you purchase a bike from them, that bike is covered for free tune-ups for 2 years. Not sure if it is standard, but it is a nice touch..I purchase my MTB at another LBS (that's b4 i found out abt this LBS) and that wasn't offered....

Hmm.. Thanks for sharing. This is good news as I am in search of a new LBS that can service and warranty Specialized bikes. How are they with the actual servicing of bikes? As mentioned by a few above, they have readly bought bikes at some places but sometimes the service after the purchase can be sometimes less then desired.

With regards to the wrenches that work there, how have been your experiences with them? Are they knowledgeable and take the time (if possible) to carefully explain the services they perform.

Yes, I am aware that everyone's experience will ultimately differ, but hey this is a REVIEW forum right...? LOL

Jun 2004
    I'll throw a couple more to this list.

Liberty! Bicycles in St. Catherines - The owner, Kurt, is a great guy. Very easy to talk to. It doesn't matter if you go in there to by a $100 kids bike or $5000 race bike, they treat you the same way.

Main Cycle in East Hamilton - They don't carry a lot of high end stuff, but they're good for emergency repairs (they're one block away from my house).

mtbr member
    I don't know how much weight this will carry, seeing as how it was my first time there, but..... Cyclepath at Weston Road and Hwy 7 (South-West corner). Sam and Paulo took time to give me a run down of what they had (I was looking for biking shorts), the price range, popular features and what to look for in fit. They let me try the stuff on and take my bike for a ride to make sure what I bought would work for me. Out of ten? I can "only" give an 8, but only because it was my first time there.

I'm looking for more stuff (seat, disc brakes and wheels) so i'm certain i'll be going back there. I'm sure i'll be able to give them a better rating with more experience. I'll definetly give them my money considering their prices! I almost fell over when I saw how little they wanted for some of the stuff they had (compared to other "local" places).

banned
    Feb 2005

Bikeland

Bikeland Barrie
    Morgan ROCKS!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've been to a bunch of bike shops a few times around the GTA since I seriously got into biking 7 months ago so here's my 2 cents on them...

Winning Cycle and Sports:
    A tiny mom and pop shop on Sheppard near Midland, they don't really sell much bike stuff (mostly maintainence parts) as it is mainly a pro badminton shop but the owner has been doing bike tuning for the neighborhood for many many years (he has a pretty nice Park Tools setup at the back of the store). This is like the only shop around Northern Scarborough and it's within walking distance from my house so I take my bike there only for emergency repairs (I can do some basic wrenching myself). When I snapped my chain I went there to get a replacement for 23 bucks + 8 bucks labor which includes installation and readjustments of both my front and rear derailleurs and cables. Very nice guy to talk to and taught me a lot about bike maintainence. Only bad thing is they only open at 12pm. Tune-up is 35 bucks and usually you can get your bike back within a day or two.

Cyclepath North York:
    This is by far the best Cyclepath within the GTA I think. There's a kid there that does the wrenching. Got my old cranks swapped out and new cranks installed there for 12 bucks labor. Two weeks ago my freehub came loose and my entire rear wheel locked up so he fixed it for me as an emergency repair and did it right away even tho he had two dozen bikes waiting for him to tune (6 bucks for new rear bearings and 4 bucks for a new freehub axle, 13 bucks labor). The boss is very friendly to chat with and when I bought some accessories there he tried to save me money by selling only what I needed. Best prices I've seen compare to most other bike shops. Turnaround time for tune-ups are usually one week and it's 30 bucks labor. It's the only place I've came across that carries KHS bikes, also has Giant and GT.

Duke's on Queen:
    Yea this place is extremely pricey and the sales people there don't seem to know squat about most things (either that or they don't wanna talk to you, feels like shopping at Henry's for camera stuff where I always seem to have more product knowledge than the sales force). But they do have really cheap things at the bike show (they had a crap load of mid to high-end SPD shoes there for 30 bucks flat and they were all gone within 10 mins of opening). I've been there a few times and it's really packed (I see they sell Trek, Rocky Mountain and Cannondale bikes mainly). One time they had all these ppl and everybody working there was like super busy. When they started to have a lineup of ppl waiting at the empty counter, one dude asked the store owner who was just walking around doing nothing if he can pay for something, the owner replied "Hey I don't man the cash registers!" Wow some attitude indeed!!! I find that his bikes are usually overpriced with crappy components (for the price I mean).

Sporting Life on Yonge:
    Expect super clueless sales ppl but they do have some great prices on closeout components usually (I see they have a selection of Cannondale, Gary Fisher and Specialized bikes). Otherwise their stuff aren't cheap at all and I've seen ppl coming in with their bikes complaining about previous wrenching not done right and demanding a fix.

Cyclepath Yonge and Eglinton:
    The sales ppl there are nice to talk to but again their stuff are super overpriced (not as bad as Duke's but close, I see them sell mainly Norco bikes). If you want your bike to be serviced there you gotta bring it in and wait for at least 2 weeks before you can get it back. The long turnaround time is absolutely ridiculous. One time I saw this dude coming in who bought a bike there for his kid and it turns out to be very badly put together and the guy demanded a refund but the shop refused and boy did they have a huge argument.

Cyclepath Danforth at Coxwell:
    Over winter they had a lot of half-priced odds and ends on sale which was great. They also accept the SPC card for 10% discount on regular priced items. But their regular pricing are seriously over-inflated (comparable to Duke's, mainly a Trek and Specialized dealer). I only go there for parts so I don't know about their wrenching, the sales ppl does seem to know stuff somewhat but I've never gotten expert opinion on products from them, only general knowledge on parts compatibility and tuning.

Urbane Cyclist on John St:
    A very crappy selection overall and pricing also outrageous (haha seems to be a trend with most bike stores in the GTA I guess), the sales ppl there never even greeted me so I don't know if they're knowledgable or not. They seem to have a huge service area at the back of the store. They seems to be geared towards the commuting type cyclist.

Trail Blazer Cycles on Danforth at Greenwood:
    This store I actually like going into since the sales ppl seems extremely knowledgable on things and answers my questions very well everytime, and they sell very high-end equipment inside (Mountain Cycles and Kona and Giant) but the price is reasonable on some mid-end items. I think this is also the only store I've came across that actually sell stickers lol!

Bayview Cycles at Cummer and Bayview:
    I think they exclusively sell Trek and Gary Fisher bikes cuz that's all I saw in there. But one time when I was there trying to find a matching 2nd bottle cage for my bike, he said "who cares just get any old one what's with all the thinking blah blah..." but I really wanted a matching one. Pissed me off cuz I was just in the store for only two minutes and it seems that he just want me out of the store already. He also keeps all the tuned bikes out in the parking lot without a tarp over them or any locking device even when it's raining outside. Pricing seems okay but just don't like their customer service. Tune-ups are surprisingly quick with a 3 day turnaround period, but also very expensive at 40 bucks for the basic.

I've been to a few more bike shops around town but I'll write more later... I gotta check out the ones around Woodbine beach when I have time cuz I've never been to them b4.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by krayzie
    I've been to a bunch of bike shops a few times around the GTA since I seriously got into biking 7 months ago so here's my 2 cents on them...

Winning Cycle and Sports:
    Where is this place?

Great post BTW.... I agree with most of your takes...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Winning Cycles is on the south side of Sheppard just east of Midland, it's in this Chinese plaza right in front of this set of lights for Glen Watford Dr. beside a BMO branch.

Okay I've also been to the following shops so here's my 2 cents again...

Mountain Equipment Co-op at King and Peter:
    Very very and I mean very cheap prices on a lot of cycling essentials (they don't sell any bikes tho), but requires a one-time 5 bucks membership in order to shop there. I see tons of ppl always there getting a good deal on tires, tubes, battery powered lights, pedals, etc. The sales ppl there are very helpful (there's this old hippy dude there that seems to know his stuff well). Everytime I go there I gotta becareful or else I'll end up with half of the bike dept. at the cash register lol!

Cycle Shoppe at Queen and Spadina:
    This shop is within walking distance of Duke's so make sure you check it out. Inside is kinda ghetto but the sales stuff are pretty friendly and seemingly knowledgable (I haven't talked to them much). But prices on parts are absolutely ridiculous (like I can never imagine parts on my bike are worth *that* much lol). One time I needed some disc brake pads and the guy actually took a long time to really find them for me even tho at the end he can't find it for my specific model, never gave me a WTF face. They also adjust your bikes right in front of the customer at the back like Winning Cycles and Cyclepath Yonge / Eglinton. I can't even see or can only peek at their Park Tools stands at most other bike shops. I think they also sell some used parts there but again the prices suck! But I gotta admit I saw some very good deals on complete bikes.

Forgot the name but it's on Bloor St. West between Spadina and Bathurst:
    This shop also has overly inflated prices on accessories, but they also carry some rare accessories that I've not seen at other bike shops. It's very packed on weekends for some odd reason and I say that cuz their selection seems very very limited.

Uncle Jacob's on Spadina in Chinatown:
    Oh man this place is ultra ghetto and they usually put a lot of bikes out on the street for ppl to see. Don't be surprised to find your stolen or lost bikes on sale there tho. I remember one time last summer me and my friend walked by after school and saw this pretty sick Trek 5200 OCLV Road Bike with full Ultegra and carbon everywhere yet the guy only wanted 800 bucks for it!!!! Tempting but you instantly figure out it's probably stolen. At the very back of the store is some tuning shop with lots of odd and used parts for sale. The store also sells alot of used rubbish like a crap version of Cash Converters.

mtbr member
    HAHA! Looks like you get around as much as I used to. Nice to see you keeping all of your options in mind.

Two questions, if I may...

1) Cyclepath North York - got an intersection? I know about the one at Yonge & Eglinton, but "North York"..... the one at Weston Road & 7????

2) SPC card? Wuzzat?

PATIA! And thanks for a nice, thorough evaluation.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO

2) SPC card? Wuzzat?
    A student discount card.

http://www.spclive.com/

mtbr member
    Student? SCHOOL?!?!??! AAAAaHHHHHHhhhhhh!! (runs away pulling hair out of head)

Okay, I should'a figured that out. Damn, i'm getting old.

Thanks!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Cyclepath North York is on Yonge like a block or two north of the Empress Mall (the one with that open style Loblaws) and just south of Finch beside Shopper's Drug Mart. It's a pretty small store but sells a ton of low to mid-end bikes, with a few high-end builds from time to time.

Actually I've stopped going to these places for a while now since I finally got everything I need. But recently a friend of mine is looking for a very basic and cheap city cruiser so we're going to visit these places again. Been to Canadian Tire and Sport Chek and their bikes just doesn't look right (either hi-ten steel or fake suspensions pick one or both), particularly Canadian Tire where all their bikes are so ill-assembled by monkeys they're just plain dangerous to use!!

Apr 2005
    Spokes and slopes in Milton. 10/10. Amazing place, great people. I phone for a camelback, they give me the 411 on it. THen when i go buy it 2 hours later, they all know it was me who called. And we all just start talking. Very sociable people, which makes it a great atmosphere to buy products from. They also have decent prices which i do like. That 30 min drive to them, is worth it and i love going there. If im not working/ riding im in their store.. Well other than school as well, but that is a given.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mols138
    I've only had minor tune ups and adjustments done, so I can't really say but the wrenches have been patient with me when asking abt parts etc...haven't been disappointed with the work they have done so far...also if you purchase a bike from them, that bike is covered for free tune-ups for 2 years. Not sure if it is standard, but it is a nice touch..I purchase my MTB at another LBS (that's b4 i found out abt this LBS) and that wasn't offered....
    Been a regular to Pedal Performance for about 4 years, they have the best service in the area, Justin, the wrench is great, he will fix you up in no time.
    The worst bike shop in Toronto area I have been to is D'ornellas. I felt that their attitude towards their customers is very condecending. ( I have been there more than once to look around and ask questions)

mtbr member

Bike Shops

Ok, let me break it down for you all:

PEDAL PERFORMANCE IN WOODBRIDGE....same owners as PICKERING.
    The owner is a big roadie its true.

PROS:
    big selection of bikes and accessories and that is it!!!
    CONS:
    I brought my bike here to get it overhauled to prep it for the upcoming season. I paid $60.00 plus taxes for the service which was to include a complete strip down of the bike, clean all parts and regrease.
    Well when I picked up my bike, the parts still looked dirty, the shifting was screwed up between the lower gears and my brake levers went all the way down to my fingers.
    I HAD TO READJUST MY BRAKE LEVERS AND RE-ADJUST MY GEARS. What a waste of money. I could have done a better job if i had all the tools! I also had to re-tighten my rear derail. cage screw and my handle bar screws. WHAT A JOKE!

CYCLEPATH -->> PROS ALL THE WAY!

I found that CYCLEPATH on Hwy 7 in Woodbridge to be more reliable in terms of quality work. Their selection of bikes is limited to three brands though.
    They are Specialized, Giant and Trek.
    Sam (owner) and Wayne (the wrench) know how to work on a bike and are always willing to work on your bike right away if they can. If not, they have a next day lead time all on major and minor repair work!!! This is amazing!!! Sam told me they work throughout the night in summer just to get the bikes ready for the next day!!! Wow, talk about customer service!!!
    As for PEDAL PERFORMANCE, he needs a week!! and out of all the times (and they were many) I asked if he could look at my bike on the spot............I NEVER GOT A YES!!

So my lbs for now stands like this!!

For bike overhauls..........CYCLEPATH IN WOODBRIDGE
    For wheel truing ...........Trail blazers...........man they can true wheels like Gods!!
    For other repairs, since my experience at PEDAL PERFORMANCE, I have purchased most tools needed to repair my bike!!

Also, if you want to purchase any accessories, there is a crappy store in Etobicoke called "Bicycle Depot". This place is a cheapo type store as most of their stock is low end bikes. I would not bring my high end machine to a place like this!!
    However, call them with a price you want to pay on any item and they do their best to get the sale. I picked up my Mavic's 321 disc rims from this guy for $230.00. What a deal!
    The number is 416-741-1452

Cheers,
    Pedalhard!

banned
    Mar 2005

New question here.

Duke's on Queen:
    Yea this place is extremely pricey and the sales people there don't seem to know squat about most things (either that or they don't wanna talk to you, feels like shopping at Henry's for camera stuff where I always seem to have more product knowledge than the sales force). But they do have really cheap things at the bike show (they had a crap load of mid to high-end SPD shoes there for 30 bucks flat and they were all gone within 10 mins of opening). I've been there a few times and it's really packed (I see they sell Trek, Rocky Mountain and Cannondale bikes mainly). One time they had all these ppl and everybody working there was like super busy. When they started to have a lineup of ppl waiting at the empty counter, one dude asked the store owner who was just walking around doing nothing if he can pay for something, the owner replied "Hey I don't man the cash registers!" Wow some attitude indeed!!! I find that his bikes are usually overpriced with crappy components (for the price I mean).

Urbane Cyclist on John St:
    A very crappy selection overall and pricing also outrageous (haha seems to be a trend with most bike stores in the GTA I guess), the sales ppl there never even greeted me so I don't know if they're knowledgable or not. They seem to have a huge service area at the back of the store. They seems to be geared towards the commuting type cyclist.

I've been to a few more bike shops around town but I'll write more later... I gotta check out the ones around Woodbine beach when I have time cuz I've never been to them b4. [/QUOTE]

i've been to a few as well:

i don't understand your comment about Gary Duke, i find that he's all over the place, working with 3 or 4 of his sales guys at the same time...he has always been very helpful and has gone out of his way to ensure good customer service. You're right about the sales staff, its because they're sales staff and most of them don't do any serious riding, except for the new girl he hired...purple hair, pierced everything, but she really knows bikes ! They have a great selection of Santa Cruz, Turner, Orange, Kona, Ellsworth, Specialized, and more. The guys in the back are probably the best mechanics in toronto next to...

...The Urbane Cyclist. This group knows its customer better than most, and being in the core, sell mostly city bikes and those odd things that you peddle on your back. They import their own frames and do custom builds as well. Keep in mind that this is not your typical LBS, but a co-op owned and operated by the people that share the space there...probably the best bike mechanics in the city, charge $50/hr and are worth every penny. Did you notice the bike rack at the front of the store? Its there for those that want to work on their bikes, and they supply the tools for free. Their prices are great for what you get as well

I like the sales guys are at Broadway Cycle on bloor...they're all serious riders, you'll find them on the don trails after work and they know their stuff. good selection but are a little pricey at times. I broke a bolt on the way home a few blocks from them about a month ago and they custom machined and installed a new one and charged only $5.00

In toronto, the focus at most places is sales...so they hire people that can sell, too bad they have no idea what they're talking about

up in collingwood, i find that chris at Kamikaze is great. Skiis & Bikes & Sporting Life are clueless and offer crummy service (sell nice fashions though), Little Ed's is mostly kids, a Squire John does skis & bikes & more, at least Chris hires people that ride the trails up here and know the stuff they sell

i guess it comes down to your expectations and if they are being met
    Last edited by JM01; 06-15-2005 at 10:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Spoke-O-Motion in Newmarket.....if you talk to Myles. Nobody else .

The rest of the guys there are ok, but you leave wondering if they really know 100% what they're talking about. Myles knows his stuff though...amazing! I bought a bike from him this spring and will pull the trigger on another one this fall.