Raid Velo Mag - 2018- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Raid Velo Mag - 2018

Anyone going this year? I went in 2016, well done race, tough course. They don't publish much info online, is the course generally the same?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I would be glad to get some additional info on this race as well (in English). I am trying to decide on whether to do the 30 or 60K race ...is it a 15K lap? How long is projected length of a lap? I am coming from out of province and will not likely get a chance to pre-ride so would prefer more than one lap, and not expecting to be highly competitive but still wanting to put in some effort. Looking forward to it - just would like more info as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I logged in to start a thread regarding this race, but I see someone has already!
    I'm also looking for info. The videos I saw show many people riding with a camel back but if there are neutral feed zones I'm not sure this is necessary. My bike has two bottle cages and I can stop for a minute to refill if needed, perhaps? Or if it is a lap format, are there designated feed zones where someone can pass me full bottles?

Are we talking fire roads? Tech singletrack? A mix of both?

Any info from those who have raced it would be greatly appreciated.

trail gnome
    Hi,

I haven't done it, but I have raced at MSA and I've done a raid at a different location in Quebec.

Just based on my experience, the raid format tends to be mass start, long distance, minimal support, mix of fire roads, ATV trails, double, and singletrack, with hike-a-bikes and river crossings sometimes thrown in for good measure. Longer and rougher than a typical XC race. Point-to-point or one big loop, not laps. Like a stage in the BC bike race, Trans Rockies, etc.

I wasn't able to view the 80k map, but from a quick glance at the 60k map, I suspect they are climbing on the fire/access roads and descending on singletrack.

If the race includes timed descents, then "Enduro" rules apply, and you'll either need to wear back protection or a camelback. At least that was the rule last year at the Quebec Singletrack Experience. I don't see that as a requirement in the rules for this raid, just gloves and helmet. However, my French is limited, so I wouldn't count on that. Bring a camelback just in case.

The Quebec Singletrack Experience stage at MSA last year used some of the same trails that were included in the Raid Velo Mag. We climbed mostly on fire/access roads and descended on singletrack and rocky doubletrack. They included some of the easier downhill flow/jump trails (Vietnam?), some new XC flow trail, and some old-school rocky and rooty singletrack.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hi guys - I started this thread as I thought I was going to get up there for it. Going to Pierres Hole instead. However, I did the 80k a couple of years ago. It is a point to point, no laps and no real repeating stuff. It will have everything: modern flowy single track, old school rooty AF 1-track, soul sucking double track, hateful climbs and sketchy descents. We did not have to wear any kind of protection other than a helmet. The course was really well marked, and every 5km was marked with a km sign if I remember correctly. Good aid stations at regular intervals and the volunteers were great. It is a good 80km marathon course, but it is not easy. You will be on it from start to finish. Not sure if this years course is the same as 2016 when I did it, but I assume it will be generally the same.......its a good test, and having the Mens WC DH finishing at the same time as the marathon finishing is kinda cool. Good luck, and have fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for the info! I was just looking at the maps this morning, which definitey helps to explain the format and aid station setup. Looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Well that was... interesting.

I'll just provide some info here for anyone else interested in this race, as well as a brief summary of my race.

Long story short, the route was so poorly marked that they threw out all the results, as so many people either went too far or not far enough. I believe I followed the proper course but I had to stop and look at my phone a couple times. It's a tad frustrating seeing as I would have likely been on the podium for the 60km route. Also, one of the feed zones was not set up when I arrived. There was a dude with all the water jugs still in his truck, still setting up the table. I could have stopped and waited but I continued on... it was a race after all. Turns out that the following leg of the course had the most grueling climbs and I cramped up pretty badly with no water.

This year seems to be an anomaly for this event. I'd heard many great things about this race and it came highly recommended. Velirium sent a letter of apology to all participants, and I think they are refunding entry fees. I will say that the riding in this area is stellar, and the course was great. A true test of all facets of MTB skills.

Still deciding if I'll take a chance and try it again next year!