Racing 29" wheels in O cups, etc- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Racing 29" wheels in O cups, etc

So, planning on racing the odd O cup and 24 hour on a 29" bike (starting to build up),
    Has anyone else doing the same?
    Cheers
    VernDog

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon VernDog
    So, planning on racing the odd O cup and 24 hour on a 29" bike (starting to build up),
    Has anyone else doing the same?
    Cheers
    VernDog
    likely no o-cups. no no o-cups, but i will be doing the tuesday series at albion, coupla 24hrs and the 8hr series...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Bored
    I've been riding and racing 29'ers for a couple years. Little O-cup, but that will change this year.

A little tip.. 26" ultra light tubes in your 29" tires will really reduce rotational weight (almost 100gm per wheel). - unless you have easy access to the Salsa light 29" tubes.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

So, no hassle..

So, no hassles with the cca or oca,in regards to wheel sizing for racing for the 29erbikes,
    wanting to try something different then the 26" wheels
    29er frame, spot brand
    fork, undecided maybe ridged Ti...
    mavic rims, schawable tires
    Bike won't be ready by Paris/ancaster race(sucks) so I'll using a hacked/converted 29er bike (old school raleigh with 29 tires) singlespeed of course!!
    VernDog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am going to give it a try with my new Asylum. I race mostly endurance stuff (24 hour solo) but going to try a few O-Cups this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kill your... television
    Quote Originally Posted by sperky
    I am going to give it a try with my new Asylum. I race mostly endurance stuff (24 hour solo) but going to try a few O-Cups this year.
    I don't know if you would call what I do 'racing ' per se... But, I will likely be at a few of the races this year.
    "Whereas Motoman's bike looks like an industrial, TinkerToy experiment gone horribly wrong." - Aquaholic

Ti
    Misfit

mtbr member

No equipment limitations in MTB

So, no hassles with the cca or oca,in regards to wheel sizing for racing for the 29erbikes...VernDog
    I'm a provincial commissaire (say hi to me at Mansfield), the guy who would be giving you a hassle. The UCI/CCA/OCA has no limitations on equipment in MTB, unlike road.

OTOH there are limitations wrt equipment support during the race. You still have to be self supporting.

So ride your 29er and have fun. Hell make it a single speed and have even more fun.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman711
    I don't know if you would call what I do 'racing ' per se... But, I will likely be at a few of the races this year.
    ahh but the question remains, what frame will it be?
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Frame...

The frame will be cromoly steel, reynolds/columbus tubing, made by spotbrand,
    www.spotbikes.com
    It's cool that the uci,cca, oca doesn't limit the mtb wheel size, I remember reading something about limitations about 3years back when 29ers were coming into the mtb scene and haven't really heard anything sence...
    still waiting for the frame and fork....here is a similiar bike to what I will be building up..
    Last edited by VernDog; 04-15-2006 at 07:55 PM.

Kill your... television
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    ahh but the question remains, what frame will it be?
    It looks like Karate Monkey...
    "Whereas Motoman's bike looks like an industrial, TinkerToy experiment gone horribly wrong." - Aquaholic

Ti
    Misfit

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman711
    It looks like Karate Monkey...
    awwww slumming it...
    38x16? cross tyres?
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

gearing...

I plan on using the rohloff speedhub, internal gearhub, 14 speeds, www.rohloff.de
    so most likely 40x16, right now my 26"mtb with the speedhub is geared 42x16, what suspension forks are you guys using? Last time I used a rockshox was 1996 and been using a marzocchi bomber ever since...
    VernDog

Misfit Psycles
    I plan on using the rohloff speedhub, internal gearhub, 14 speeds, www.rohloff.de
    so most likely 40x16, right now my 26"mtb with the speedhub is geared 42x16, what suspension forks are you guys using? Last time I used a rockshox was 1996 and been using a marzocchi bomber ever since...
    VernDog
    if i have to run a sussy it is the white brothers 'magic' 100mm but for the most part i run full rigid...motoman might have a fancy one to tell you about but the rigid i use is my own (misfitpsycles) and alloy...so not really appropriate for your usage.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Bored

... and if we just ...

Rigid. Suspension is for people that need a compensator for lacking technical skills.
    MTBR is serious stuff.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    Rigid. Suspension is for people that need a compensator for lacking technical skills.
    ohhh don't know about that...i ride rigid b/c my face hurt all the time...i was just tired of endos. so in my case i ride rigid to compensate for a lack of skills. then again thats why it is a single and now the a 29er b/c i cant bunny hop...look for square tyres in 07.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Bored
    By the way nogearshere... Moto and I are riding at Hilton Falls Saturday at 11am. Bigwheelboy's little bro on the big A$$ sugar 292 will be rep'n 29'ers too.

All others are welcome. It won't be hard to find us on 29'ers!!!
    MTBR is serious stuff.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    By the way nogearshere... Moto and I are riding at Hilton Falls Saturday at 11am. Bigwheelboy's little bro on the big A$$ sugar 292 will be rep'n 29'ers too.

All others are welcome. It won't be hard to find us on 29'ers!!!
    damn. i wish. #3 is still too young, i will be pushing it for paris! the goal, no DNF by my name.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I raced at the Elliot lake o-cup with the 29er last year. Will be going back again at the end of July. I know of at least one other 29er there. Lots of big pointy rocks, so it seemed like a good 29er course, rolls through the fresh singletrack and rocky sections easier.

J

Misfit Psycles
    time to bring this thread back from the dead.
    thoughts of the 2007 ocup are dancing in my head...

chico racing has been very good (not to mention accomidating) over the past season(s)...as always i push the boundries of the relationship. this year i have been pushing for them to add a single speed (open) category to the 2007 schedule. in order for chico to do this, the OCA needs to recognize/authorize. chico felt confident, however, i am likely going to have to back this up with some ridership numbers (sponsorship too).

so how many currently race ocups and would switch to race against 'your own kind'?
    how many are like me, and do not currently race but would, category permitting?

oh and looking for a SS ringer for 24hr solstice...email if you are interested....must be able to ride fast hungover...well not fast, just faster than moi.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

ss cat.

I'd like to see that, singlespeed open cat for mtb races/24 hours events,
    Seeing that there is a few more of us on the trails, how many are up to riding fixed gear riding/racing on the races?
    Give it a try, its adds a whole new meaning to the way you'd ride on the trails!!

Members who have read this thread: 0