question for downlhillers- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

question for downlhillers

After watching lots of downhill races on extreme channel, I've developed great interest in this discipline and am consider trying out the beginnerís package (rental + lesson + pass) at Blue Mountain this year. However I've got a couple questions. Is there any 'prerequisite' to do downhill? I'm simply a 'trick-less' XC rider, canít jump or do wheelies or stuff like that, and I'm under the impression that downhillers seem to fly over jumps. So, am I qualified to learn? Any of you guys ride at blue? Thanks for any pointers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Im in the same boat man. i just bought my first freeride biek and am looking to do some o cup downhill races. my first one will be at Kelso. i dont think there are any prequsites but you have to have a fullface helmet, longsleeve jersey or elbow pads and some shin/knee armor.

read this post i made on Dropmachine. http://www.dropmachine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10131

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've been racing DH for about 4.5 years now so I can probably give you a bit of guidance. Firstly, Blue Mountain is a great place to try things out. Depending on your current bike you could probably head up there and ride without doing the rental thing. There are trails that exist that are great for hardtails and those looking to get into DH. I often ride these trails (embyro, highway) to working on turning, pedaling and other DH oriented skills.

I would suggest heading up with a couple people and riding rather than getting a lesson. If you've been riding XC for a while you can handle the beginner to intermediate trails at Blue.

As for skills, not every DH racer is a whiz in the air (myself included). All of these skills come with practice with the key being progression. Comfort in the air will come with experience as will the 'wheelie' (it only took me 3 years to master it...oy!!). However you can enjoy a day at Blue or even race without having mastered the aforementioned skills.

As an example, my wife started DH riding/racing on an XC hardtail (Santa Cruz Chameleon). She started riding seriously about 4 years before that time but couldn't jump or wheelie (she can jump now and is still working on the wheelie). She's been riding at Bromont, QC (rediculous terrain) and raced all of the O-cup venues in Ontario on her XC hardtail. She's got a fully now, but everything started on the XC hardtail.

If you'd like to have someone show you around at Blue I'll be there most weekends when I am not racing. I can direct you to the beginner/intermediate trails and give you a couple pointers here and there. Drop me an email closer to the riding season and we can hookup at Blue sometime (that invitation goes out to anyone who is interested in trying the DH thing at Blue).

Hope some of this advice helps. If you've got anymore questions don't hesitate to email me or post up.

Simon

simon at steelcityracing.ca

livin' large
    Would a Rocky Mountain Slayer be adequate at BLue? Someone told me I would need a full on DH/FR bike to enjoy the trails and such? I don't want to race but I don't want to be over my head either
    it tied the room together man!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian-clydesdale
    Would a Rocky Mountain Slayer be adequate at BLue? Someone told me I would need a full on DH/FR bike to enjoy the trails and such? I don't want to race but I don't want to be over my head either
    A Slayer will be perfect. You'll be fine. My wife races on her Norco 4by4 with 5 and 4 inches of travel and she enjoys it just fine. I'll be even taking my hardtail up a couple times this season for a bit of variety.

Hope to see you on the trails at Blue.

Simon.

livin' large
    Just keep and eye out for the fat yahoo on a black Slayer!
    it tied the room together man!

Mar 2004
    Thanks for the input guys. And thanks fatguysmiling for the offer, I'll drop you an e-mail when I'm ready to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by esmundo
    Thanks for the input guys. And thanks fatguysmiling for the offer, I'll drop you an e-mail when I'm ready to go.

Sounds good. I'll be on my IH SGS pro with a giant green, white and black moto helmet. You can't miss the helmet. Hope to hear from some of you guys in the spring (which is almost now...)

Simon

mtbr member

great thread

I wish more riders would try out the DH trails at Blue, even if you're not into racing, there's lots to learn and tons of fun to be had. I started riding DH trails on a Trek Y-5 at Bromont, got lots of weird looks but I had a blast. The sport is called Mountain Biking after all, why not actually try it on a Mountain for a change!

As for bike/setup just make sure your brakes are in good shape, have some spare tubes, if you can lower your seat a bit it helps and some armour would be a good idea as well but again not 100% necessary if you're not going too fast.

There are all sorts of riders there during the summer, full on XC bikes to the complete opposite. Pretty much every jump has a way around if you decide to skip it, and there are many 'older' trails that are just like riding xc in the woods on a slope.

Once you try it you'll be hooked :-)

Clem
    Blue pass holder - I ride a polished Turner RFX - post up when you plan on going -

Apr 2005
    Got a seasons pass at Blue and I'll be seeing all y'all up there!!!!!! Yeeehaw. Just as soon as the snow melts. I'll be going up from Freelton if anyone wants to hitch a ride.

T.Dot Represent
    ill eb up there a few times this season... i have a norco atomik which i have set up to ride DH and trails with ofcourse it will be a lot more forgiving on the DH then the trails cuz it is a porky bike.............

if you want to ride in the don or something i could show you some things ive learned cuz they have soem fun DH sections in there!
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

Apr 2005
    I would like to come up for this ride in good time. I will be riding a Norco Wolverine hopefully. Keep me posted, iw oudl love to make it out there and get a taste for this and get some tips, considering im able to drive. If you u guys dont want 16 year old hanging around, totally cool bros.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GinoLicious
    If you u guys dont want 16 year old hanging around, totally cool bros.
    Hanging with you 16 year olds makes me faster...You should see some of the junior Ex racers rip. A good MTBR groupride at Blue sounds like a great plan. Now if spring would just hurry up...

Simon

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguysmiling
    Hanging with you 16 year olds makes me faster...You should see some of the junior Ex racers rip. A good MTBR groupride at Blue sounds like a great plan. Now if spring would just hurry up...

Simon
    I can provide car pool in Northern GTA. 16 or 60, all welcome.

T.Dot Represent
    yeah man where abouts do u live im only 17 and will ride with ya 4 sure... ill be n the green norco atomik with a sherman... the only bike with a multi coloured strobe light i think ever!

Mar 2004
    Just to follow up with this post, I got myself a used FS bike, some protective gear and am ready for BM. Already got plans for this weekend but I may go on monday and will be there every weekend.

T.Dot Represent
    what bike did u buy?

ive got a fully pimped norco atomik that will be ridden up there on many occasion

Mar 2004
    Not a stock bike. 04 norco fuse frame colour beige, 02 super T (not sure), raceface dh crank, LX changers, hayes hyr disc. Got it for $1300. Not a super deal but I think is reasonable.

mtbr member
    Just to follow up with this post, I got myself a used FS bike, some protective gear and am ready for BM. Already got plans for this weekend but I may go on monday and will be there every weekend.
    Cool, you'll have a great time - just take it easy and ride at your own pace, that's the ticket to having the most fun up there. Post up your thoughts once you've ridden on Monday.

I'll be there Sat only this weekend but will make sure to use my pass as often as possible!

Later

Clem

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    Cool, you'll have a great time - just take it easy and ride at your own pace, that's the ticket to having the most fun up there. Post up your thoughts once you've ridden on Monday.

I'll be there Sat only this weekend but will make sure to use my pass as often as possible!

Later

Clem
    Silly me, it's not gonna open on weekdays til sometime in June. I'll hook up with you guys next weekend and I'm gonna border the hell out of you people for pointers

mtbr member
    Silly me, it's not gonna open on weekdays til sometime in June. I'll hook up with you guys next weekend and I'm gonna border the hell out of you people for pointers
    It was a long weekend, Monday was stellar with very short lift lines - you shoulda gone (I wish I had - was very busy on Sat but tons 'o fun)

As long as the weather holds up I'll be there next weekend as well, not sure which day yet though.

Clem

T.Dot Represent
    wat do u ride Clem?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finchy
    wat do u ride Clem?
    '01 Turner RFX :

suck it trebeK
    Really... this is an interesting thread! I didn't know Blue (or many hills) had beginner downhills that can be ridden with hardtails.

I may have to check it out myself!

Mar 2004

I made it to BM, here's my thought

Was there yesterday, did my first DH. I only did the two blue runs on the south side. (embyro and highway? names are different on the trail map), embyro most of the time cos' that run seems easier and longer. Fell a couple of time, but I got armour !! Wasn't as scary as I thought (I know it could get really scary, but for the runs I did it was just right for me), but it is more phycisally demanding then I expect. Not something like I need some big lungs for endurace but decending for 5 minutes straight while keeping myself stay balance on my bike and at the same time trying to learn how to get the most out of my brakes made my hands and legs burn. I also found my feet bouncing a lot on the pedal, few times that I almost bounce off of my bike. Have been riding on clipless for a while, returning to flat feels a bit weird, any tips? Anyway, do I love it? you bet I *****ing am. I regret why didn't I start doing this earlier. Too bad that they've sold out their season pass so I have to pay everytime, and I'll be there every weekend.

On a side note, for those who hesitate to try out this downhill thing. If I can do it anyone can do it. Is too much fun to describe in words.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'll be there every weekend.

On a side note, for those who hesitate to try out this downhill thing. If I can do it anyone can do it. Is too much fun to describe in words.
    Glad you had a good time. I'll be up there Sunday with my wife. Look for an Grey/Silver Iron Horse SGS DH Pro and a Black Turner Rail. I am a lucky man, I get to spend my 1 year anniversary riding DH...Just like the day after the wedding...

Simon

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguysmiling
    Glad you had a good time. I'll be up there Sunday with my wife. Look for an Grey/Silver Iron Horse SGS DH Pro and a Black Turner Rail. I am a lucky man, I get to spend my 1 year anniversary riding DH...Just like the day after the wedding...

Simon

woo.... happy & sweet anniversary man. This week I'll be up there on Sat. stead of Sun. I'll e-mail you next week. BTW, how was the race?