Question!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Question!

FeelIng Cranky!

Question!

I'm reading a book about Mountainbiking skills. it's pretty interesting (for me anyway) but some of the terminology I have never heard:

WTF is a Water bar?

I get the jist of baby heads, but I've never heard that one before either. And for all you ladies out there, this book is completely male centric LOL! Guess they wouldn't think a woman would be interested in skills and going faster!!!!

mtbr member
    Water bar...place in Cancun where you loose all sense of right and wrong....from what I've heard.

Seriously though, it's typically a ditch cut through an inactive road (on a slope) to prevent large scale erosion and destruction. (Like old logging roads through the mountains out west)

When I rode transrockies, most of the pre-meetings were about what sections of roads have water bars. They sneak up pretty quick at 50 km/hr and send you flying or eat wheels quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck50 View Post
    I'm reading a book about Mountainbiking skills. it's pretty interesting (for me anyway) but some of the terminology I have never heard:

WTF is a Water bar?

I get the jist of baby heads, but I've never heard that one before either. And for all you ladies out there, this book is completely male centric LOL! Guess they wouldn't think a woman would be interested in skills and going faster!!!!

FeelIng Cranky!
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Water bar...place in Cancun where you loose all sense of right and wrong....from what I've heard.

Seriously though, it's typically a ditch cut through an inactive road (on a slope) to prevent large scale erosion and destruction. (Like old logging roads through the mountains out west)

When I rode transrockies, most of the pre-meetings were about what sections of roads have water bars. They sneak up pretty quick at 50 km/hr and send you flying or eat wheels quickly.
    PERFECT! Makes sense to me now! Thanks so much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You can also have a water bar on a trail.

They act in two ways. One is to allow water to cross a trail or road that is cutting across the slope. These are like a shallow ditch.

Second way is to redirect water that would be flowing down a trail or road off of it.These can be both a diagonal shallow ditch or a raised hump.

So basically a depression in the riding surface. They can make for fun jumps, or jarring sneaky buggers that buck you at speed.

mtbr member
    Yeah, wasn't even thinking, they can be on a trail as well. You tend not to notice them as much on a trail, usually smaller blips.

FeelIng Cranky!
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    You can also have a water bar on a trail.

They act in two ways. One is to allow water to cross a trail or road that is cutting across the slope. These are like a shallow ditch.

Second way is to redirect water that would be flowing down a trail or road off of it.These can be both a diagonal shallow ditch or a raised hump.

So basically a depression in the riding surface. They can make for fun jumps, or jarring sneaky buggers that buck you at speed.
    I kind of thought that's what it was and yes I found out the hard way on race night 1st lap! managed to hop is 2nd, but never heard it called that.

humber river advocate
    water bars are a pain in the butt to build correctly... the waterbars are easilly overcome by rain dumps, then it acts like a little waterfall chewing away the downslope side. if a log or lumber is used frost tends to push it up. also it can trap water and act as an ice dam. the bruce trail has lots of examples of the problems water bars cause (they love them for some reason). some of you are getting a waterbar and a grade reversal mixed up. on a whole a grade reversal works better and is more sustainable (makes a better jump also).
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 07-27-2011 at 08:13 PM.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    on whole a grade reversal works better and is more sustainable (makes a better jump also).
    It is only sustainable if it is maintained after it is built. If not it will erode with time and weather. Nothing on a trail is a build and forget.

Seen lots of examples of this this year......

mtbr member
    The big ones I recall mostly from back when DH trails tended to go straight down the middle of ski slopes. They were basically perpendicular ditch-jumps that had to be traversed at speed.

I don't think Blue had them, but there were lots at Tremblant.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration