Puppy Pedal Oct 14th- Mtbr.com
    Muskoka

Puppy Pedal Oct 14th

This is a fund raiser group ride benefiting The Lions Foundation of Canada Dog Guides. It departs Muskoka Wharf in Gravenhurst ~10 am and is 40K+ tour of a bit of linking cottage road, The Old Stone Road Trail, the spectacular Torrance Barrens, and return. Draw prizes when we all get back to the Wharf and then retire to Boston Pizza's patio overlooking the lake for eats & drinks...

Here is the link to the website where you can get a pledge sheet. Alternately one can make a modest donation and fill in a sheet at the wharf if you are someone not inclined to collecting pledges!
    Welcome | Puppy Pedal :: Benefiting Lions Foundation of Canada Dog Guides

Here also is video I made on the 2009 ride that gives good idea of the trails involved as well as the scenery...

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/6616657" width="500" height="338" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Please join us on a fun ride for a good cause and take in some lovely autumn in Muskoka ambience!
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 09-25-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    If they are calling for good weather, I am in for this.

mtbr member
    No snow in the forecast and everything else is good weather for mountain biking????

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Near north View Post
    No snow in the forecast and everything else is good weather for mountain biking????
    Would love see the Slow Spokes out for this Mark! I know who to turn to if I blow a sidewall at the back end of the Barrens!! Do you still have that pic?

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Funny George and I were talking about that patch last night, not sure where that picture got to.
    I will do what I can to get some people out for the ride.

mtbr member
    Snow does not scare me, nor the cold so much. It is rain in the cold months that can be a killer. I am thinking of driving up the night before and staying in some cheap place so I don't have to be up at the crack of dawn for the long drive and then ride all day and drive back. If anyone knows a cheap place close by let me know. I will Google something otherwise.

mtbr member
    BCD will know better than I about places to stay in Gravenhurst, I think he has suggested the Star Motel before

"worth a call and probably 3 minutes from Buck...
    http://www.weblocal.ca/star-motel-gravenhurst-on.html"

mtbr member
    John and I will be there, looking forward to it, it's been too long since we've rode together BCD. Will Bonnie be coming? Here's hoping for sunshine that weekend

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Merdoff View Post
    it's been too long since we've rode together BCD.
    Trilliums were blooming last time...it has been too long, but it has also gone by too quick!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Yes, it was Mother's day and the Trilliums were in full bloom, far cry from the Hail storm I got caught in today

The summer has gone by far too quickly, however, with the 907 addition I don't dread the winter like I have in the past.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Merdoff View Post
    Yes, it was Mother's day and the Trilliums were in full bloom, far cry from the Hail storm I got caught in today

The summer has gone by far too quickly, however, with the 907 addition I don't dread the winter like I have in the past.
    Fat bikes will do that

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Is there a F/S one yet? like 6" maybe?

Muskoka
    Is there a F/S one yet? like 6" maybe?
    Got some serious snow-hucking in mind!!!?

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Will this do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Puppy Pedal Oct 14th-247814_10151906588401494_1728433199_n.jpg  

Muskoka
    That thing looks awesome. I can't imagine any gain by having FS for riding on snow, but as I said before even I could clean West D'Nile on that bike

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Now ((THAT)) is what I'm talken bout !!!!!!!!!!
    Fat biking is going to change now

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Smile FS Fatbike

My Pugs is "lightened" to 38 pounds with new tires so with more people getting struck by the fatbike trend a full suspension beast under 35 lbs is very much a possibility. Would I get one? You betcha. These bikes have left me with a smile on my face after every ride!
    That full suspension big travel bike looks totally awesome!
    SOMETIMES SLOWER CAN BE BETTER

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by tndmnuts View Post
    My Pugs is "lightened" to 38 pounds with new tires so with more people getting struck by the fatbike trend a full suspension beast under 35 lbs is very much a possibility. Would I get one? You betcha. These bikes have left me with a smile on my face after every ride!
    Hey John, are you & Arienne coming out to do the Puppy Pedal on the tandem?

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    I have to agree, that fat bike could tip the scale in my interest in the fat trend.

Didn't you have a fat tandem sort of? smaller rim size maybe?

Do they make a fat tandem 26 inch wheel or bigger? F/S?.

I think a few SS's may make it to the PP ride!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Smile Puppy Pedal

Bert, Sadly the mountain bike tandem is in Florida so I plan to tag along with my Pugsley at the back of the pack. Mark the really fat tire tandem we had a few years back was a Hanebrink Ventana full suspension. The problem was the very small diameter wheels were quick to drop into holes and didn't roll well but floated well in mud and sand. One year we were beach riding in Toronto and stopped at Velotique to buy clothes. The bike was stolen in minutes and my high tech "thief resistant" lock was also taken. My only picture of the bike was sent to me by Dan Hanebrink as the bike was featured in MTB Action. Hope to see some of the SlowSpokes out for the ride. Cheers John

mtbr member
    Hey John,
    I never saw it but did heard about it, I also didn't know about it being stolen,
    I think a few guys have said they might come out, GB, GA, CB, and myself we are going to be wearing red, black and white jerseys if you still have one?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I am away on business this year but will put in a plug... I had a great time on the ride last year and would do it again in a heartbeat. The ride was not overly technical but still a lot of fun and only as fast as different riders wanted to make it.

A pleasant bonus was some pretty sweet prizes for those who turned in donation forms... I'm wearing one of the 2 prizes I won as I type this!

Cheers and good luck to all!
    Stephen
    Santa Cruz Tallboy - lovin' the full squish 29'r!

mtbr member
    Ok Ok so it snowed this morning I was wrrrr.......(think of the Fonz)...... It was just a sciff......and Sunday it's looking ummm.... not very good to say the least.
    Hey B do the Puppy Pedal peolple do a rain date thing????

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Smile Wet ride

Warm and sunny would be nice but this might be a good chance to test out your rain gear. If the ride is on I still hope to see a few brave souls riding!

Muskoka
    Ok Ok so it snowed this morning I was wrrrr.......(think of the Fonz)...... It was just a sciff......and Sunday it's looking ummm.... not very good to say the least.
    Hey B do the Puppy Pedal peolple do a rain date thing????
    Mark, this goes rain or shine. per John, rain gear would be a good thing! Supposed to be warm though...

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    AFAIK lots of people still doing the ride despite the wet forecast

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Smile PuppyPedal 2012

Hey Bert,
    We had a great ride with amazing conditions. We waited about 45 minutes for you and the group was about 15 strong. Rain-What rain? The support team had great cookies waiting for us at the Torrence Barrens and we had some draw prizes after the ride at the gazebo on the wharf. Good eats at Boston Pizza with great conversation! A successful event.

mtbr member
    I was looking forward to this, but I am fighting a bad sinus cold and this ride in the rain would have been a really bad idea.

Muskoka
    Hey Bert,
    We had a great ride with amazing conditions. We waited about 45 minutes for you and the group was about 15 strong. Rain-What rain? The support team had great cookies waiting for us at the Torrence Barrens and we had some draw prizes after the ride at the gazebo on the wharf. Good eats at Boston Pizza with great conversation! A successful event.
    I'm sorry u'all waited! I txt Donnie in the am and said I was a no show. I don't have your cell # so couldn't text you. Bonnie injured her foot Fri nite including a broken toe. That left me to take Blue on both his dailey outings of an hour each. Between that and the PP I would be on the go in the rain for ~ 6 hrs. To make it worse, I woke up Sunday am with one of my nasty sinus headaches that is always accompanied by a half day of sneezing and nose blowing. Not fun at the best of times let alone on a rain ride at 10 dg C.

I hope you won some nice swag

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    That's exactly how I felt BCD. I was not about to do the 2 1/2 hour drive each way to soak in the rain to aggravated my cold. Just feeling human today.

Muskoka
    I think if this event was late Aug or early Sep like it used to be there would be a better turnout. The odds for fair weather are always better then, although after a record dry summer in Muskoka mother nature is balancing it out with one of the wettest Sep/Oct ever! Doesn't seem to matter which weekend since Labour Day one chooses, there has been at least one day of rain!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Smile Full suspension fatbike

Thanks to Meredith she got Mark and myself excited by the picture of a full suspension fatbike from a recent bike show. Check out the finished available product from Carver bicycles in Maine. Looks like they got the jump on Salsa!
    Carver TRANS-Fat Full Suspension Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Thanks to Meredith she got Mark and myself excited by the picture of a full suspension fatbike from a recent bike show. Check out the finished available product from Carver bicycles in Maine. Looks like they got the jump on Salsa!
    That looks AWESOME!!!!! Love the name

Muskoka
    WOW! How much $$$ I wonder?? What I didn't like about the Santa Cruz based bike was the slack seat tube and head tube; being based on a DH frame. That didn't really show with the pic of it mounted on a bike stand, but I saw other pics of it standing on the floor and I can't see that being much fun riding XC.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Their Website shows it's $2999.95 for frame and shock. Its a beauty but Ouch!!!

mtbr member
    YA YA B suck it up, soar toes and running noses we get it......we get it....it was raining and we all showed up????
    It was like a Slowspokes get together i think we were almost half the group, and it was an ....epic ride.....the cookies were a life saver.. Thanks oohhh cookie gods.

It was nice to see everyone

That's cool bike John, I think the fat tire world is about to change.....

Members who have read this thread: 0