Proudest MTB Moment / new Avatar- Mtbr.com
    Lemmy Rules!

Proudest MTB Moment / new Avatar

The more observant of you may notice that after 5 years, I have changed my avatar. The previous avatar was a picture of Unglued Jr., aged 18 months, admiring my bike. As Unglued Jr. is now 7 and that particular bike is retired from active duty, it was time for a change!

My new avatar was taken at the finish of the 2014 Wilmington Whiteface 100. Mrs. Unglued and Unglued Jr were waiting for me on the finish line and Ken Chlouber, the organizer of the Leadville Trail race series, who was handing out finisher's medals, gave my finisher's medal to my son to put around my neck. This might well have been my proudest moment as a mountainbiker....

So, of course, now we have to have a thread about this. Please post, if you are so inclined, your proudest MTB moment.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    That is a really nice story and reason to pick the avatar. I don't race so that kind of achievement is not in the cards. For me it's about hitting that perfect experience during a ride. Sure I have been really stoked after clearing a certain line or ripping something, but for me it's those special moments when it all comes together and you actually are aware that it's going down. A couple of weeks ago I was on a solo night ride on a local trail and the snow was gently falling and I was ripping through the trees in an envelope of light with Radiohead in my years and I passed a group of deer. Felt kind of surreal and that is the type of thing that gets to me. Have felt that same sense on early morning rides in the middle of the forest with the sun shining through just the right way and the smell and sounds of the day waking up. That sort of thing.
    No, I am at work and have not been smoking anything.
    Burnt Norton

banned
    Feb 2014
    Cool stories and a nice idea for a thread.
    My proudest moment is really a combination of a few days this summer with my son. I have been into trail building and riding for around 18 years and we have enjoyed many fun rides together as he has grown into a young man. He has helped me a few times in the past with some maintenance and reroutes. This summer he wanted to be involved with a new build our club was doing and he came out to several trail nights. He was now able to use power tools while working as hard or harder then anyone in the crew. It was great having him experience the feeling of creating singletrack, joking with everyone and enjoy a cold one with some stories at the end each night. Then going for a ride together on something we helped to build was a feeling we shared as buddies. I hope we have many more years of enjoying rides as we both grow older. This summer was special because he is not a kid any more but he still enjoys some time with me doing an activity that we both love.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Proudest MTB Moment / new Avatar-10372508_248063908724207_7466444835549936500_n.jpg  

Proudest MTB Moment / new Avatar-10450166_248064008724197_8942506919397159640_n.jpg  

Lemmy Rules!
    Apparently I have to spread some more rep around before giving it to you both, but those are awesome stories...thanks for sharing!

And to clarify, the reason I chose Wilmington as my proudest moment is not because I finished the race...it was because my wife and son were there to see it happen.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member

I completely understand what you mean, Unglued. I often think about my family being there for a race, especially when I end up on the podium, but that has never happened and probably never will.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    I completely understand what you mean, Unglued. I often think about my family being there for a race, especially when I end up on the podium, but that has never happened and probably never will.
    Your MTB family was there last time you wound up on the podium, if I recall correctly...
    Strava made me do it....

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    That is a really nice story and reason to pick the avatar. I don't race so that kind of achievement is not in the cards. For me it's about hitting that perfect experience during a ride. Sure I have been really stoked after clearing a certain line or ripping something, but for me it's those special moments when it all comes together and you actually are aware that it's going down. A couple of weeks ago I was on a solo night ride on a local trail and the snow was gently falling and I was ripping through the trees in an envelope of light with Radiohead in my years and I passed a group of deer. Felt kind of surreal and that is the type of thing that gets to me. Have felt that same sense on early morning rides in the middle of the forest with the sun shining through just the right way and the smell and sounds of the day waking up. That sort of thing.
    No, I am at work and have not been smoking anything.
    So which Radiohead album is best for ripping through trees under the light of a winter moon? My guess would be King of Limbs, or possibly In Rainbows. The Bends would be just a little too jarring IMBO :-)
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    I have it on a mix. Stuff from all their albums. I actually don't want to be too engaged by the music when I ride. It's more about setting a frame of mind. Not sure what that is, but Radiohead is good Fall music. It also has a tempo and pacing I like. Sometimes I just put all albums on shuffle. I have 70's, 80's'90's mixes and a lot of Jazz too. Like Wynto Marsalis stuff and Brubeck for rides.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Your MTB family was there last time you wound up on the podium, if I recall correctly...
    True, and it is a great feeling to see friends and share the moments. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross