In Praise of Daylight Savings Time- Mtbr.com
    Evil Jr.

In Praise of Daylight Savings Time

We went out for a bike ride before dinner last night and a curious thing happened: we didn't need to turn on our lights!

It was fantastic. Here we were, out in the woods on a week night and there were dozens of other people (mostly joggers but some dog walkers) out too! Plus you could see all kinds of deer! Wow!

I was skeptical about how they recently screwed around with daylight savings but I'm a big believer now.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I stepped out of the gym last night at my usual time, about 7pm, and was kicking myself for not riding.

Make up date tonight.

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    I stepped out of my gym monday morning at the usual time...7am....grrr still dark.

But i did get to take the boy for a wagon ride after dinner last night!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion
    Make up date tonight.
    I can hardly wait to get back out tonight. I'd recommend the same thing to all of Eastern Canada! I'm totally addicted!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Please revoke my membership.

I commuted home last night, when I rolled up to the door, I looked out and saw the sun so high in sky, even just after 6 pm.

I promptly went inside, got a beer and fired up the BBQ. I then hit the trainer a little later.

Not sure how much good it did, I was clipped while spinning, so I probably lost 3 levels of soul and my belly grew a couple inches.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Here we were, out in the woods on a week night
    you can ride in the woods right now? we can too but it's still very snow covered. I figured your trails would be clear of snow but really wet.

Love daylight savings spring forward! I am less of a fan of fall back.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by VVagabond
    you can ride in the woods right now? we can too but it's still very snow covered. I figured your trails would be clear of snow but really wet.
    Some of our rail trail is in surprisingly great shape. Singletrack, not so much.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by VVagabond

Love daylight savings spring forward! I am less of a fan of fall back.
    Well, only kinda. We were on rail trail, which had patches of icy slush still. The trails were completely covered in slick ice. Hoping that'll be gone by the weekend.

At least the fall back comes with an extra hour of sleep. That's all the good I can say for it.

sock puppet
    I didn't know you were going to gym. I applaud to that.

sock puppet

I guess you don't need me

Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    Not sure how much good it did, I was clipped while spinning, so I probably lost 3 levels of soul and my belly grew a couple inches.
    to tell you that you did more harm than good.

Note to yourself - trainer ain't trainer if it ain't have platforms.

That is the only way to practice overtaking in corners by dabbing your foot. Still not sure if it is inner or outside foot. Advice appreciated!

mtbr member
    DST at least has people thinking and talking of riding during the week! Wasn't happening with EST.
    I am now back to the road persuasion until things dry up a bit Went for a great urban climbing ride on Sunday morning while all the bad drivers were still in bed - 300 metres of climbing in an hour and 3/4 ride! Another winter without setting foot on the trainer done!

bi-winning
    It was 4 degrees and sunny this evening in Sault Ste. Marie. I went skiing.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    Please revoke my membership.

I commuted home last night, when I rolled up to the door, I looked out and saw the sun so high in sky, even just after 6 pm.

I promptly went inside, got a beer and fired up the BBQ. I then hit the trainer a little later.

Tell me about it, after limping around all week from my crash commuting home last week(clips+ice=pain) i was very glad to have some proper lighting! I rarely stand to use a trainer though(i'm not that boring)... too bad! I'm sure i'd get really fast and super awesome like you if i did.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    to tell you that you did more harm than good.

Note to yourself - trainer ain't trainer if it ain't have platforms.

That is the only way to practice overtaking in corners by dabbing your foot. Still not sure if it is inner or outside foot. Advice appreciated!
    Actually, I dab both feet for optimal overtaking technique during corners. Honestly though, it takes some serious soul riding to gain that skill. I'm not sure if you are are able to reach that level of riding as you wear spandex. For $99 I'll send you a self help DVD on all the proper ways to truly have fun riding. Daylight savings times is a must for this.

Evil Jr.
    While slightly overcast, last night was still a great night to be out and we ran into Ms. Filly as an added bonus! A lot of people use this time of year for base miles but we prefer to think of it as base smiles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    While slightly overcast, last night was still a great night to be out and we ran into Ms. Filly as an added bonus! A lot of people use this time of year for base miles but we prefer to think of it as base smiles.
    What route did you guys ride? I'm pretty sure I saw you two on the west end of Barton St. near the junction of Locke N in Hamilton ~6:30 or so. Sadly I was not on my bike as well...

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by l-s-d
    What route did you guys ride? I'm pretty sure I saw you two on the west end of Barton St. near the junction of Locke N in Hamilton ~6:30 or so. Sadly I was not on my bike as well...
    That sounds about right. If you saw two weirdos on 29ers, it was probably us. We went from there around Bayfront, on to Mac and home again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    That sounds about right. If you saw two weirdos on 29ers, it was probably us. We went from there around Bayfront, on to Mac and home again.
    Yeah - the Bolton bikes were the giveaway. That's always where I look first.

mtbr member
    It was great to see people out on bicycles enjoying the light of the evening yesterday, doubly so when they turned out to be people that knew. I was excited to hear your trail report and I'm hoping to get out there tomorrow evening.

Hooray for bicycles!!
    I love riding my bike!

mostbrokenestscaphoidever
    Mr. & Mrs. Monster... you guys have great enthusiasm and I am grateful to peops like you who spread the happy sprinkles - I am looking forward to riding this year. My bikes are ready to go...
    misfit diSSent 29er SS
    niner One9 SS

mtbr member
    40 k of base smiles (as Garage Monster would put it) on rail trail, path and road on the MTB.

Left work at 5:45, got home at 7:30, never needed to turn on the blinky's.

Saw a few cyclists out, but not as many as I would have expected.

I was sherpa'ing extra layers in my back pockets but ended the ride with only my vest, jersey, shorts and knee warmers. Compared to the excessive layers I've been using to commute for the past 3 months, I practically felt naked.

If I can manage to get the motorcycle out tomorrow evening and hit a couple twisties, I'll officially declare winter over and ***** beyond belief if we see snow again this season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysty
    Mr. & Mrs. Monster... you guys have great enthusiasm and I am grateful to peops like you who spread the happy sprinkles - I am looking forward to riding this year. My bikes are ready to go...
    I was thinking the exact same thing. You both have such great positive attitudes, it's refreshing!

I got out for an hour and a half on the road tonight after work. Dry for the most part around here but one downhill tree covered tight sweeping section was still icy and nearly got the best of me.

Great ride.

namagomi
    Old man winter is too sensitive and warm lately... i could have ridden home in shorts if it wasn't +3 out this morning.

mtbr member
    Loving this weather, and extended daylight! Going to try and squeeze in another road ride tonight.

Evil Jr.
    We squeezed in a few hours at Canada Blooms on Saturday. I thought the displays were some of the best in years. In particular, the Landscape Ontario garden was jaw-dropping!

mtbr member
    We squeezed in a few hours at Canada Blooms on Saturday. I thought the displays were some of the best in years. In particular, the Landscape Ontario garden was jaw-dropping!
    We timed all the flowers and everything really well this year, especially the rhododendrons. Funny thing is, next year we can follow everything EXACTLY the same with time in the greenhouse, light, temperature, humidity and the plants will just decide to bloom a week later. It's a fine balance.

Evil Jr.
    In general, I thought the quality of the plant material was outstanding this year. Last year left me a little flat. I thought there was too much focus on hard-scaping and the same plants seemed to show up again and again in every garden. This year was a big improvement. I even found a new "cut-leaf" hellebore that I want Mrs. Monster to find for us!

Members who have read this thread: 0