Places to ride in Barrie, ON- Mtbr.com

Nov 2005

Places to ride in Barrie, ON

Doing a weekend trip to Barrie and looking for places to ride besides hardwood hills. I'm staying at carriage hills resort. Any info or web sites would help.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiess
    Doing a weekend trip to Barrie and looking for places to ride besides hardwood hills. I'm staying at carriage hills resort. Any info or web sites would help.
    The Carriage Hills I know is on Horseshoe Valley Road. If you go down to Horseshoe Resort and turn in to the right going into the XC-Ski Chalet, there is lots of trail to ride. Combination of ski trails ( double track) and single track. No charge but also no maps. I have not ridden here although I want to try it some time and I have heard its good. I do ski there lots. If you try it out please post back & let me know how it was. Should be only a minute or 2 west on the road from CarriageHills.

mtbr member
    The trails at Horseshoe are probably your best bet. There is also some more trails a few more KM's further west on Horseshoe Valley Rd. on the left hand side. Its in the Simcoe County Forest (i think that is what its called). These trails aren't as good as the ones at Horseshow though. I am actually going to be riding at Horseshoe Saturday night after work.
    "FS or F/S. adj. an ambiguous term, can mean Front Suspension or Full Suspension. Not used by anyone who wishes to be understood."

Custom User Title

take a compass...

I tried riding this area once, but not knowing the area and the trail network I ended up lost into the evening on sandy doubletrack. So far as I know there are no signs or markers and miles of fireroads, but my sense of direction sucks so you might fair better than I did.

If you like a few markers and maps you might want to head a couple miles up Hwy 11, to Buckwallow in Gravenhurst. Really cool, well organized spot and you will get a taste of riding the Canadian Sheild and all the perks I like after a ride like a bike wash, change hut....like at Hardwood.

"an inch an hour...two feet per day..."

LBS Manager

Be carefull there has been a cougar stalking that are. It killed a horse a few km away from there last year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    Be carefull there has been a cougar stalking that are. It killed a horse a few km away from there last year.
    I know for a fact that there are many cougars stalking Barrie. However, if you stay out of the bars, you should be fine.

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty
    I know for a fact that there are many cougars stalking Barrie. However, if you stay out of the bars, you should be fine.
    Not the kind of cougar I'm talking about. This was front page news in the local paper last year. A horse wass killed by a "large cat" (ie cougar) just a few km away from Hardwood Hills. I personaly know many people who have seen the thing int the area around there. It won't stop me from riding but I am a little leary of riding alone.

Living Life Behind Bars..
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty
    funniest post of the year. imho, thx for that... brings me back to the days of old and the Mountain View Inn in Collingwood.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by g-t-
    funniest post of the year. imho, thx for that... brings me back to the days of old and the Mountain View Inn in Collingwood.

Or the good old Village Inn in Bradford!!!
    (those that have been there KNOW what I'm talkin about!)

Jul 2006

to funny...........

many days in the Barrie area tell me the only Cougars to worry about....... are the ones you meet after biking......

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Payer
    I tried riding this area once, but not knowing the area and the trail network I ended up lost into the evening on sandy doubletrack. So far as I know there are no signs or markers and miles of fireroads, but my sense of direction sucks so you might fair better than I did.

If you like a few markers and maps you might want to head a couple miles up Hwy 11, to Buckwallow in Gravenhurst. Really cool, well organized spot and you will get a taste of riding the Canadian Sheild and all the perks I like after a ride like a bike wash, change hut....like at Hardwood.

Buckwallow is great riding ( I live 3K from there ) but it is a good 40 minute drive from Carriage Hills Resort which the poster inquired about.

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBB
    many days in the Barrie area tell me the only Cougars to worry about....... are the ones you meet after biking......
    right......

and I am sure these people are referring to the ones in miniskirts too.
    http://www.ontariopuma.ca

HeHe, love this line from their website...
    Obviously Puma attacks do not present a statistically significant risk to humans, but statistical significance may fade if you are on the receiving end of a Puma attack.
    "an inch an hour...two feet per day..."

mtbr member
    No plugs for Kolapore????

Okay, i'll say it .....

You should check out Kolapore.

You may/not be disappointed, though - no cougars. Best I saw was ..... a chipmunk.

Not sure yet if that's a good thing or not. Don't know Barrie's area and offerings that well.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ride North of the resort and save your gas money for the bars and restreaunts at Horseshoe.

I would tell you about other sites but I got a large pile of **** for opening my mouth before.

Nothing to ride here. Move along.

Check the local bike shops for some other Barrie trails.

Bikeland, BikeZone, Sportswap, Monovan's.

Stosh

Members who have read this thread: 0