The Pines...What's the Deal- Mtbr.com
    Avenger of Evil

The Pines...What's the Deal

A group of us decided to ride The Pines on Thursday evening. We thought this would be a good change from our usual weekday Fanshawe / Boler rides.
    I was in my LBS today and picked up a flyer that was titled "The Pines 2 New Loops Done" that stated "Riders found in The Pines without proper membership card(O.C.A.) or W.C.C. sticker may be subject of a fine of $65.00."
    My question is...What do I need to ride The Pines?
    I don't mind paying my fair share to ride in a designated area, but I have no desire to pay $75.00 (O.C.A.membership) to ride for an hour or so. I already have yearly memberships at Fanshawe & Boler. It would be cheaper for me to take my chances, and if I get caught, pay the 65 bucks.
    Can I get a"Day Pass" like the other venues?
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

mtbr member
    I question their rate logic as well .(?)
    Who in their right mind is going to pay their $40 yearly membership when you only ride there once or twice a year ??? That's not very cost effective .
    They should have a pay as you ride system like they used to have in years previous with the donation box at the trail head .
    If a person lives in Woodstock or really close by , paying the full fee makes sense as the site is close .
    If like myself , you have to drive from London , it is not a place I will be going to be making a lot of trips to .

I feel they are really setting themselves up for a lot of non payers .
    I understand they can't have someone maning an admission booth on site(costs) but at least give us another option such as buying one day passes at the local bike shop or maybe even a Woodstock gas station or 7-11 . Something that is open long enough hours
    to make access to them easier .

mtbr member
    $75?? I paid $25 for my OCA card... Seems a little high to me, obviously.

-Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

re: the pines

If you have a yearly fanshawe trail pass, this will work for the pines as well, since the utrca manages the pines as well as fanshawe, I've been to the pines twice this year and only seen a "yogi" once there, The trail donationbox is just that a donation box, towards the trails only, But, I still would rather ride Kains/komoka, a lot closer too, and more technical

mtbr member
    Agreed , Cains/Komoka is more of a test then the Pines but the Pines is a good "change of pace/scenery" ride that is fine for riding every once and a while to keep things fresh .

It's just like golfing .
    I could never pay for a membership and golf the same course over and over again . .
    I prefer new challenges as this keeps things from getting redundant .

Avenger of Evil
    $75?? I paid $25 for my OCA card... Seems a little high to me, obviously

Cool.. sounds like you got a deal.
    According to their online registration
    http://www.ontariocycling.org/
    The cost has gone up to $75.00.
    I dont mind spending the 5 bucks or so to ride an area that I know we will be able to ride in the future, and not have the privelage taken away.

Agreed , Cains/Komoka is more of a test then the Pines but the Pines is a good "change of pace/scenery" ride that is fine for riding every once and a while to keep things fresh .

My thoughts exactly...It's great to have different places around to ride. Thats the nature of our sport...Diversity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

re: pines

For sure, nothing like going to different places to ride, which is what I've been doing the past few years, since we pretty much lost kains/komoka, well most of the trail system in London (ESA area now), gotta love developement=more revenue,
    Fanshawe and Boler are great to ride, just not every day/weekend, thats all

Moderator Moderator
    That sucks, I enjoyed riding the Pines a few times a year, its only 40 min from me, was nice to mix it up. I sure hope they bring back the $3 deal....would be nice.

Avenger of Evil

Phone call

I spoke last night to a nice lady at Pedal Power Bike in Woodstock. She said that the land is owned by UTRCA and leased to WCC. The issue is that UTRCA is worried about lawsuits from non WCC members that are not insured.
    I asked "if I had a membership at Fanshawe would that work", and I was told No. UTRCA carries insurance at Fanshawe and the other camping areas, as there are more activities than cycling going on there.
    She also mentioned that to her knowledge, no one has been ticketed yet , but many have been warned.

Members who have read this thread: 0