Pickering area recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pickering area recommendations?

Looks like I have to drive out to Pickering tommorow, and I've never riden in the area...

Can anyone recommend some good local XC or single track?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What time? If in the morning, I can give you a nice tour. If not, I can make some good recommendations.

How much distance are you looking for?
    Last edited by nickboers; 10-20-2012 at 10:52 AM.

mtbr member
    That's an amazing offer and I sincerely thank you but it's looking like sometime in the afternoon. Can't even say for sure yet.

I think about 15 km would be about my max. Even that is probably pushing it. I've been off my bike since beginning of September due to an injury and it will be my first time back out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Here's my ride from yesterday afternoon in Duffins Creek Valley. Look at it in satellite mode, and follow along...

There's a small gravel parking area on Valley Farm Rd just North of Finch, on the West side of the road, right by the river, the Southernmost part on my ride. Go down the trail, stick to the right, by the river. Keep sticking to the right. Eventually you'll end up at a sandy spot where there's a 4 way intersection (about km 6.6 on my ride), with a bunch of DH trails and jumps, and a trail going up the hill. Go up the hill, then keep sticking to the right. As you pass under the hydro lines, you'll break off to the right from the 'main' trail. (about km 7) Keep sticking to the right. At km 7.45, there's a narrow trail to the right. It's not obvious. It'll go through a nice g-out as it crosses a wide downhill trail and go up the other side. If you miss it, you'll get dumped out onto a wide sandy trail, but just stick to the right, and you'll end up going down that wide downhill trail,and very soon after entering the forest on the downhill trail, you should see the crossing, go left. Keep sticking to the right. Very shortly after you ride over the pile of rocks and are forced to make a sharp right, there's a steep switchback downhill trail that drops down into the valley on the right side. (7.8km) You can continue on to the railway tracks past a nice lookout, turn around, and drop down that switchback trail. It's got a couple techy little drops around the switchbacks. Tricky, but fun. Once by the river, go right, then stick to your left all the way back to the car. If you have a look at the switcback DH and don't want to do it, just bypass it, stick to the left, you'll backtrack to the wide DH I mentioned earlier. Go down, turn right, and then stick left all the way back to the car. That'll be 7-8km. If you go up Valley Farm a bit, the trail enters on the West side, and will go all the way North to Taunton Rd via the Seaton Hiking trail. The Seaton Trail is marked with blazes and easy to follow. The Seaton Trail parking lot is at the West end of 3rd Concession.

mtbr member
    That's fantastic thank you! I have looked at the map and will print your directions.

Really do appreciate the help!

mtbr member
    Sorry to report my Pickering tour was cancelled last week. I will keep your route for future reference, again Thank You for your offer and detailed description.

Greg

Members who have read this thread: 0