mtbr member

Peterborough Now Has a Mountain Biking Destination - Harold Town is Open!

Announced at the Strength in Numbers premiere, Peterborough now has a Mountain Biking Destination - Harold Town is Open!

Join us on June 9th at 10 a.m. for a trail maintenance and building day.
    Last edited by evanholt; 05-29-2012 at 09:38 AM.
    Come visit Trail Swag, an outdoors blog for Ontario!

mtbr member
    Congratulations. Peterborough needed something more then small offerings in Jackson's and around Trent which I rode when growing up. While those trails were fun, they were too short and too spread out. The next time I'm visiting family, I may need to bring my bike with me to check this out. Once again, great work and congratulations to all those whose efforts resulted in this new trail network.

Living Life Behind Bars..
    Thats great news, can you give some trail info like distance ? loops etc. Never ridden there but passing through a few times a year so will stop in and check em out.

Evil Jr.
    Excellent news!

It seems like a lot of Conservation Authorities are getting on-board with MTB trails these days.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Nice! No more parking on the side of the road and hopping the gate! Will hopefully be there this weekend to check it out!

mtbr member
    I just wanted to bump this thread because today I finally got up to Peterborough with my bike and rode Harold Town and I wanted to share my experience for those who haven't had the pleasure.

At the risk of sounding like an old crusty man, "you kids don't know how good you got it." We never had anything like that when I grew up in Peterborough. What a great techy little track.

It's not a large parcel of land, but whom ever cut those trails made very good use of all the real estate available. It is a tight, twisty, rocky, rooty mess of a good time and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

I had read in an older Harold Town posting that the trails went by an old building. At the parking lot, I saw double track going straight up a very steep hill and I saw the building. I headed for the building. Going that direction, I soon discovered that I was essentially going backwards or - as others may call it - uphill. In truth that was a nice way to be introduced to the trails (slowly) and it was also a kick in the pride. I'm no trialist, but I like to think I can handle decently techy stuff (although heights on a bike scare me). That trail snakes it way up and over so many roots, rocks, narrow passes and bridges that I will admit to making many tabs, and even a few hike-a-bikes. Once I got all the way to the top (I was at the top of that initial hill I saw with the double track) I decided to turn it around and let gravity and my full sus 29er earn their keep while I did my best efforts to hasten my next brakepad purchase. That was fun. I wormed my way back to the parking lot and decided to climb that steep b!itch of a hill and do it all over again, this time taking different trails whenever the option presented. There are plenty of options and I'm sure i missed out on stuff (oh well, I guess I'll need to go back)/

That was certainly a lot different from the fast and smooth trails of Durham/Albion/Mansfield et al. I think all the rocks that should be at those locations have all been deposited at Harold Town. It certainly made for a slower average pace, but the smiles by mile were way up, and isn't that what its all about?

At about an hour from my house, it's a bit of a hike, but I'll be back for sure. The variety and challenge of those trails are worth it and will do nicely when my usual routes need a break.

Once again, congrats Peterborough, you got a gem.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    We want pics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey All

Glad you like the trails, we have been working hard to create a fun yet challenging riding destination.
    I am at work right now but will get photos posted of some of the trails soon.
    If anyone is interested we have a build day planned for this Sat july 14th at 10 am.
    Also, if anyone wants to be guided around the trail system let me know. Shoot me a pm

For anyone interested in riding there here are the directions starting from the end of the 115 in peterborough
    from the end of the 115 head north(straight) up Television rd
    travel 2km ish and hang a right on Old Norwood rd
    Continue for 2.2 km you will see the parking lot on the right (if you hit drumond line you have gone to far)

to hit the trails, head toward the grey building and keep to the right. Enjoy

Mac

mtbr member
    Trail work continued on the weekend with another public trail building day.
    Come visit Trail Swag, an outdoors blog for Ontario!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    is this worth the drive from Belleville area?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I would say it is. We have about 12 km of trail, doing a lap or 2 will take you a couple hours. If you want a guided tour let me know.
    Mac

mtbr member
    May 2012
    A tour would be quite cool. I'm busy this weekend but I would be willing to make the trip next weekend. Would that work for you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Next Saturday would work for me. Busy this weekend as well. Shoot me a pvt msg and we will work out contact info. If anyone else wants to join send me a msg as well

Mac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    We want pics.
    Ok. Seeing as you asked so nicely...

Was back in Peterborough today and managed to sneak out for another peak. This time my phone came with me so I could post some pics.

For your viewing and critical pleasure:

Look like fun?

mtbr member

nice pics....

Yes it does look like fun....

And totally different from my go to trails in Durham Forest. I think a trip to Peterborough is due very soon....

Great job guys!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Oh man can't wait for Saturday now! Better get some miles on my new Trance before I venture there for the first real ride on her!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So Puds is joining me for a tour, anyone else want to come too?

Mac

mtbr member
    ptbo_mac,

I'd love a tour of Harold Town this Saturday (July 24) if you think it's worth the drive from Kanata. I plan on driving part of the way Fri night and then arrive early Sat. What time would you like to start the ride? I am down for any type of ride but I prefer bigger rides 4hrs+ if there is enough singletrack.

My plan on Sunday is to head East on Hwy 7 and ride Shambomeka Lake Trails unless you can recommend an alternative (Ganaraska Forest?)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Mtb_canuck,

FYI I'm driving a bit Of a distance as well and wasnt planning on starting until around 10am. On top of that you should know that I'm a newbie so the ride may be a bit slower than your used to, assuming ptbo_mac doesn't ditch me for being too slow and go with you! I would appreciate the opportunity to get some pointers from seasoned riders if you guys don't mind the newbie trailing behind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_Canuck View Post
    ptbo_mac,

I'd love a tour of Harold Town this Saturday (July 24) if you think it's worth the drive from Kanata. I plan on driving part of the way Fri night and then arrive early Sat. What time would you like to start the ride? I am down for any type of ride but I prefer bigger rides 4hrs+ if there is enough singletrack.

My plan on Sunday is to head East on Hwy 7 and ride Shambomeka Lake Trails unless you can recommend an alternative (Ganaraska Forest?)
    It is fun in there, but a 4 hour epic ride it is not, more like 1.5 hours (with significant overlap of trails). Of course, if you're willing to spend some time on sections and run them multiple times, you could spend all day. Depends on what you like out of a ride.

mtbr member
    puds, thewake,

Thanks for being candid ... I only mention my preference for big rides in case the opportunity was available. I ride with all types of folks (fast and slow, experts and beginners) so pace and ability are never an issue as long as everyone if having fun. In fact a slower paced ride at a new location allows more time for sessioning, pictures etc.

That said ... I destroyed my rear hub on a ride last night. Since I don't have access to another rear 12mm hub before the weekend, and my only other bike that's ride-able is my rigid SS (with a tall gear), I doubt I will make this ride. If things change I will repost. Meanwhile please try and take some more pics of Harold Town ... as I am still interested for a visit in the future.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    mtb_Canuck

Hope you get something worked out before the weekend, if not let me know next time your in the area and I will show you around. I do have a couple extra 142/12 rear wheels I could lend you for the ride. Actually I have one I am willing to sell if you need.

Pudz, 10 is a perfect time to start the ride. Lets meet in the main parking lot around then. You said you were coming along hwy 7 from the east. When you hit Television road (at the 115 cut off) head north (right) a km or so up the road you will see Old Norwood Rd hang a right and drive for 2km or so and you will see a big hill on the right and a parking lot. Thats Harold town. The property lies between Burnham line and Drumond line. If you hit Drumond you have gone to far.

Anyone else who wants to join us, meet us there at that time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptbo_mac View Post
    mtb_Canuck

Hope you get something worked out before the weekend, if not let me know next time your in the area and I will show you around. I do have a couple extra 142/12 rear wheels I could lend you for the ride. Actually I have one I am willing to sell if you need.

Anyone else who wants to join us, meet us there at that time.
    ptbi_mac, pudz,

Just to confirm that I will NOT make it to this ride this Saturday for several reasons. I really appreciate the wheel offer but I should have something ready by Saturday anyways. I will try my best to make it out to Harold Town sometime this season in which case I will gladly take you up on you effort to show me around.

Enjoy the ride boys! Looking forward to a trip report...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Id love to say i had a great ride today but I can't! I can say that it was a great place to ride though, the part that sucked was me! Lol. It was very technical and very climb happy, two things I am not as a newbie and fat guy! As for the trails, nice and tight Singletrack, some obstacles and structures here and there and well laid out. I would have had a great time if I was in shape! It was by far the most technically challenging and climb intensive place I've ridden. I felt bad for Mac having to wait as I hike-a-biked A LOT of the ride. It was definitely not flowing like Buckwallow (where I ride on weekends at the cottage) but different is good to me. I just need to build someone cardio and get some more seat time before I head back. Thanks again to Mac for the tour, and sorry once again for my pathetic effort today! Embarrassment is a good motivator though, so I'll be back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    this is great news. can someone provide a map to get there and maybe a trail map? I'd like to make it out there this summer.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    We`ll be working on a trail map over the winter in conjunction with the Conservation Authority. For the time being, got nothing to offer you but if you`re coming up this way I`m sure there are a few people around that would be happy to take you for a tour.

Thanks for all the encouragement and praises for the new trail network. A lot of work from a lot of people has gone into the new trail development and looking forward to building some new stuff soon.

Hope you all get a chance to come out and check it out.

Members who have read this thread: 0