Paul's Dirty Enduro- Mtbr.com
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Paul's Dirty Enduro

mtbr member
    Last year's PDE was my first ever race, so I understand that pursuant to Article 5.07.1(c)(ii) of the UCI rule book, that I am obliged to return this year and beat my previous time.

So I guess I don't really have a choice.

I will again ride the 60K and hopefully I won't have to walk the never ending hill this year. That hill (and indeed some of those immediately preceding it, ate me alive last year.

Too all those who plan on the 100k, you have my undying respect.

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Signed up for the 60k - thinking about trying it on my single speed - maybe.... Either way, looking forward to having a great day on the bike!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    how well is the race route marked? its a big forest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hozman67 View Post
    how well is the race route marked? its a big forest.
    The 60k is very well marked (and I understand the 30 and 15 are as well) with permanent metal markers with pink Paul's stickers, although you may wish to print out a map to bring with you. Personally, I like this one: the fifeenth PAUL'S in the Ganaraska Forest Centre | September 18, 2010

It's a certified IMBA epic trail now, which is why the course is marked permanently.

The first 40k of the 100k changes from year to year, so you can't pre-ride that, as if anyone would.

If you've got four hours for a ride, the 60k makes for a very nice day. Just take your PI pills first.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2WD View Post
    Signed up for the 60k - thinking about trying it on my single speed - maybe.... Either way, looking forward to having a great day on the bike!!
    I think I'll be doing the 60k on my SS too. T
    hen enjoy the day and have a fun ride without worrying about competition.

Lemmy Rules!
    I did the 100k on a singlespeed last year. It took me 7.5 hours and I was pushing up a lot of climbs by the end, but it still counts as one of the best days on a bike I have ever had. The trick is to think of it as an all-day tour rather than a race, at least for the first half.

And if I can do it, pretty much anyone can. Just saying.
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Too bad it overlaps with now bi-annual Crank the Shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Signature

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Too bad it overlaps with now bi-annual Crank the Shield.

But if you don't race you won't helping some Ontario riders mental health.

Lemmy Rules!
    Wish I could be there, but with the Provincials the weekend before and the fall Epic 8 the weekend after, something has to give....
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Wish I could be there, but with the Provincials the weekend before and the fall Epic 8 the weekend after, something has to give....
    The mind or the body?

mtbr member
    Not to burst your bubble Barry but I worked my A$$ off to finish in 7.5 hours. You sir did it in a respectable 8.5... Just sayin. It truly is a great race though and a character builder to be sure.
    "Go till I blow..... chunks"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I expect this year to be extra dusty.

mtbr member
    What is the terrain like, and how technical is it?

mtbr member
    I don't find it overly technical. The first 40k of the 100 has allot of sandy climbs that are normally used by dirt bikes so lots of ruts and roots.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by misconceptionz View Post
    Not to burst your bubble Barry but I worked my A$$ off to finish in 7.5 hours. You sir did it in a respectable 8.5... Just sayin. It truly is a great race though and a character builder to be sure.
    I thought it just seemed like 8.5 hours...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by micah356 View Post
    What is the terrain like, and how technical is it?
    the word "technical" means different things to different people, but I would say that it is no more or less technical then a ride at Durham, Albion, mansfield etc. etc. In fact, it's sort of exactly like those places, only more sand.

What I will say however is that it has some truly amazing stretches of single track, some of which go on for 3-5 kms. How often do you ride single unbroken stretch like that? not often.

Also, how often to you get to ride 60K+ without doubling back on any single track? (ok, not entirely accurate for the 100k, but they get a pass for shear awesomeness).

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    As stated; the first 40km are a sandy grind, especially the climbs. The last 60km are tons of fun flowy singletrack.
    I would be in for this if I wasn't already signed up for the Crank.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    If this upsets you,

Napanee group home owners file human rights complaint - thestar.com

Then please come out and ride.

mtbr member
    Just to be sure... I've just registered myself for the 60k. No backing out now.

The allure of the free t-shirt and socks was just too strong...

I Strava Hamburgers
    Had to drop out of Crank due to injury and sudden crash landing in training.

Attempting 60k on a SS, we'll see how healthy I am by then.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm in for 60km. Probably need to do a few 50+km rides before that though.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Attempting 60k on a SS, we'll see how healthy I am by then.
    Only counts if the singlespeed is a 35 pound chromoly hardtail with flats and hauling a 8 pack of Guinness. Anything less is sandbagging.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Only counts if the singlespeed is a 35 pound chromoly hardtail with flats and hauling a 8 pack of Guinness. Anything less is sandbagging.
    Well if you insist.....

Lemmy Rules!
    Don't take anything Enduramil says about this race too seriously. If memory serves correctly, he did the 30k and got cut off by an eleven year old kid...
    Strava made me do it....

No. Just No.
    Don't take anything Enduramil says about this race too seriously. If memory serves correctly, he did the 30k and got cut off by an eleven year old kid...
    Enduramil and the squirt locking elbows and bars.

I know who I'm placing my money on, and he probably doesn't need to shave yet.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

http://forums.mtbr.com/eastern-canad...ed-405346.html

Though I do admit to being passed by the kid. It was more a commentary of how dad's lousy race passing etiquette was being learned by his kid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The 15km and 30 km is marked well as they are the only trails I ride out there then I can't get lost. Too bad because there are some good trails out there but I am usually on a time restriction and can't afford to get lost. I'm signed up for 30 km unless I have to work that day. Which I am good with that since it goes to a good cause. For anybody that has family not racing don't forget there is the new Treetop Trekking located right by the start/finish line. You can check the web site out TREETOP TREKKING | GANARASKA | FEATURES & COURSES . Good way to spend three hours but you also need to book in advance.

They did try and have the race the weekend following CTS but there was a booking conflict.

It is always a good time at Paul's.

Don't forget there is a canteen there now as well. I am sure he would appreciate the business. It sure is nice to be able to ride on the weekends and know you can get something to eat or drink after, It's pretty basic items but sometimes anything is better then nothing especially way out there.
    Last edited by gmstrek8; 08-14-2012 at 06:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmstrek8 View Post
    The 15km and 30 km is marked well as they are the only trails I ride out there then I can't get lost. Too bad because there are some good trails out there but I am usually on a time restriction and can't afford to get lost.
    FYI the 60km loop is completely permanently marked as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for confirming that akura. I assumed it was but because I have never done it I didn't want to give the wrong info. I did the 15 km tonight. The Ganny is a little messy with the past rain and wind we have had. Plus lots of Horse #$%*

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    According to the Facebook page... a woman wants to do the 60k on a cross biike.

mtbr member
    According to the Facebook page... a woman wants to do the 60k on a cross biike.
    Wow, big respect for that lady if she does.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Didn't a couple try it ona tandem bike a few yrs ago?

mtbr member
    They were there again last year. The time your talking about it took them 12 hours to finish. Not sure what their time was last year or if they did the full 100.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Holy crap.. Ganny on a Tandem would be a lesson for sure.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hmmm... I seem to have installed new chain and cogset. As wsell as new BB and cranks. Maybe I'm taking this year a wee bit more seriously.

No. Just No.
    Hmmm... I seem to have installed new chain and cogset. As wsell as new BB and cranks. Maybe I'm taking this year a wee bit more seriously.
    I predict many Strava KOMs will fall to this new monster we call The Enduramil.

Does the trusty steed need a new name? Mistress Lite?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Sorry, the awoke Team NFI racing does not speak Strava.

Does the trusty steed need a new name? Mistress Lite?
    No. Only lightening to happen would be the waistline. And besides there is great joy in crushing others on lighter bikes.

Lemmy Rules!

I know who I'm placing my money on, and he probably doesn't need to shave yet.
    Can you please be more specific?
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Can you please be more specific?
    So.. how was it racing Major Taylor back in the day, Grandpa?

mtbr member

60k adventure

On Saturday, we headed over to Ganaraska and rode the 60k - it was awesome! The weather was perfect for riding, but we only saw two other groups of people all day (hikers and horseback rider). I can't believe how much of that route is singletrack! It was well marked, and well maintained (for the length). Some sections were a bit over grown (ouch, raspberries!), but there wasn't too much deadfall.
    That was the longest I've ever ridden a mountain bike in one shot, and I was pretty dead when we finished. When we got back to the parking lot, I could smell a barbecue - there was a wedding going on in the new building - and I considered crashing it just for the food!
    Epic day on the bike. Lots of fun!

Anybody tried the new tree-top trekking course there yet?

Brittany
    TRCA
    Toronto and Region Conservation Authority
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: http://www.trca.on.ca/
    Phone: (416) 661-6600

mtbr member
    Ahhhh... the old, ride for 4 hours then attend a wedding trick. That's why I only ever ride wearing one of these:

Black and White Tuxedo Lycra Spandex Zentai Morph Suit - Milanoo.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TRCA View Post
    On Saturday, we headed over to Ganaraska and rode the 60k - it was awesome! The weather was perfect for riding, but we only saw two other groups of people all day (hikers and horseback rider). I can't believe how much of that route is singletrack! It was well marked, and well maintained (for the length). Some sections were a bit over grown (ouch, raspberries!), but there wasn't too much deadfall.
    That was the longest I've ever ridden a mountain bike in one shot, and I was pretty dead when we finished. When we got back to the parking lot, I could smell a barbecue - there was a wedding going on in the new building - and I considered crashing it just for the food!
    Epic day on the bike. Lots of fun!

Anybody tried the new tree-top trekking course there yet?

Brittany

Hey Brittany

Glad you had a nice time. I think I saw you heading out for your ride from the trees. If you were wearing black. I rarely run inot anybody on the trails when I am out there. I knwo the 15 km has some raseberry bushes covering the trails. I haven't been on the 30 yet as I usually don't have enough time after work.

As for Treetop Trekking I went out twice as a customer and now I am working there PT. It is a lot of fun.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    It seems the bear has ully fawoken from 6 years of hibernation. Set new PR on Un Speakable TT course... immediately followed puking. Guess I better go harder.

mtbr member
    Instead of riding my bike this weekend and "training" for this year's PDE, we decided to take the kids for their first back-country canoe experience. It was an amazing weekend and I think we've successfully entered two more canoe lovers into the fold. So that's a success.

Of course, I got Poison Ivy, so in a way, I like to think that I was in fact training for Paul's.
    Last edited by thewake; 08-27-2012 at 06:11 AM.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewake View Post
    Of course, I got Poison Ivy, so in a way, I like to think that I was in fact training for Paul's.
    Apparently, getting nekkid and rolling in patches of P.I. helps to build up an immunity to it. Not implying this was a cornerstone of your weekend agenda, just that someone needs to try this and let us know how it works out.

mtbr member
    I haven't been in the Gan for over a month, so I have no idea what the conditions will be like, but judging on how much sand we saw in glen major/walker woods/DF yesterday, it's gonna be DUSTY!

In Durham, especially on the TRCA side, it felt like every corner was a sand box. Makes for some pretty sketchy moments from yours truly and a few bails from others in the party. I always expect the Gan to be sandier then Durham, so if that's anything to go by, it's gonna be hairy. Anyone been in there recently who can update us?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Well this sucks, this makes event number 3 of the year had to pull the plug on.

No. Just No.
    Well this sucks, this makes event number 3 of the year had to pull the plug on.
    Obviously you want someone to ask the question "Oh noes, why did you have to pull the plug on this event?"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Obviously you want someone to ask the question "Oh noes, why did you have to pull the plug on this event?"
    Well.. there is the things happen in three's thing.... 3 years of cancellations before I finally raced it. So of course this now makes 3 cancelled events for 2012. Maybe it wasn't enough red meat, Slept in the same room as the wife to often, or I could do what everyone else does.... It's Rob Ford's and Harpers fault.

Sadly I have become underemployed in the last week and a half . Bike shop lay off and despite efforts to come up with any workable solution. It was simpler to do the hard thing and cancel this year. Sucks though as it would be easier to accept if I had wrecked my frame or knocked myself out in a crash.

Though I can use this as an excuse to maybe buy a new seatpost to make myself feel better.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 09-09-2012 at 05:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Boy, no love for Paul's this year it seems. The confirmed list is at 247 riders. There were 411 riders last year. I just can't see another 160 riders registering on the day, especially as they're calling for rain, but who knows. The discussion on here as certainly been quite muted compared to last year as well...

Too bad, it's such a fun event.

More than a little slow
    Oh, I don't know.
    The Ganaraska is beautiful with a bit of rain. Hard packed sand instead of light fluffy stuff.
    Paul's is easily one of the best races around and an awful lot of people know about it.
    Is the confirmed list just for people who registered online? I've been in quite a few smaller races that have way more people show up to race than appeared to be registered in the lists online.

And it really is such a fun event.
    Cheers, Dave

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Boy, no love for Paul's this year it seems. The confirmed list is at 247 riders. There were 411 riders last year. I just can't see another 160 riders registering on the day, especially as they're calling for rain, but who knows. The discussion on here as certainly been quite muted compared to last year as well...

Too bad, it's such a fun event.
    I think some of it is riders are changing events as this is the last CTS. So they want to get in to add it to their Palmares.

For others it's fuel costs. I wish it was possible but it seems this week has developed into the full Ugh week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Signing on Saturday am for 60 km race. My 1st race in 13 months. Gonna hurt!

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk View Post
    Oh, I don't know.
    The Ganaraska is beautiful with a bit of rain. Hard packed sand instead of light fluffy stuff.
    Paul's is easily one of the best races around and an awful lot of people know about it.
    Is the confirmed list just for people who registered online? I've been in quite a few smaller races that have way more people show up to race than appeared to be registered in the lists online.

And it really is such a fun event.
    it is an awesome and noble event...

raced it last year and had a blast... but endura is right... CTS is the only stage race this season for me - so can't miss the riding as well as the social aspect of it, not to mention nightly farting competitions...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    it is an awesome and noble event...

raced it last year and had a blast... but endura is right... CTS is the only stage race this season for me - so can't miss the riding as well as the social aspect of it, not to mention nightly farting competitions...
    Yup. Is nailed it...well, except for the farting thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've entered the 60 km event, should be a blast. This will be my first PDE. I'm considering using the drop box service but I don't know what will already be available at the feedzones. Generally I would want to refill my camelbak with a couple litres of water (if it's really hot out), grab a new bottle of sport drink, and pick up some gels or a protein bar? For those of you that have done this event before, what was provided at these checkpoints? How do you plan to use the drop box service?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman! View Post
    I've entered the 60 km event, should be a blast. This will be my first PDE. I'm considering using the drop box service but I don't know what will already be available at the feedzones. Generally I would want to refill my camelbak with a couple litres of water (if it's really hot out), grab a new bottle of sport drink, and pick up some gels or a protein bar? For those of you that have done this event before, what was provided at these checkpoints? How do you plan to use the drop box service?
    Last year was my first race and I didn't do the dropbox thing, but it sounds like a great idea if you require specific things. I'd suggest getting there bright and early if you plan on using this.

However, it would appear that your list of items is already covered at the feed stations (assuming it's the same as last year). Last year they had Hammer Nutrition products (a cooler full of Heed and gel packets and possibly energy bars as well, can't remember) at each station. They also had coolers of ice water as well as fruit, bananas & oranges maybe others, and peanut butter based sandwiches.

I rode with a camelbak for water and bottle in a cage for the heed.

Maybe it was dumb of me (cause I did end up walking the majority of the final climbs) but I did skip the first feedzone. I found it just came too early for me and I had Gels and Heed on me already, so I just kept plugging away. The next two feedzones however were a welcomed break. Actually, the last one, I wanted to just lay down

mtbr member
    doing my first one this weekend. not that i am threatening the podium or anything but am i gonnna have to wait in a 40 person line to get to the refilling coolers and snacks and whatnot? also for the dropbox is it easy to find your stuff there or do you have to sort through a pile of other peoples packages to find yours?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkonbobo View Post
    doing my first one this weekend. not that i am threatening the podium or anything but am i gonnna have to wait in a 40 person line to get to the refilling coolers and snacks and whatnot? also for the dropbox is it easy to find your stuff there or do you have to sort through a pile of other peoples packages to find yours?
    From my very limited experience, the Feedzones are pretty chill. The beauty of one giant 60km loop is that the field gets spread pretty thin. Last year I finished mid pack for my age/category and there were stretches (one time was over 30mins easily) where I was completely alone. The Feedzones never had more than 10 people at them, the first one being the busiest, most whom were just sorta hanging out, sharing a laugh. This is a fun event, first and foremost. Or maybe it's just that all the seriously fast people were long gone already and I was in the more chill/fun group...

mtbr member
    Also doing this for the first time. I haven't ridden in Ganaraska in at least 10-11 years!

sock puppet

you will love it!!!

all the best to all of you racing Paul's this weekend... it is a noble event and i am sorry i can not join you - as the Crank the Shield took precedence... sucks when we have to pick between two great events...

next year - i will be back to Paul's... hope to see you all and more then...

keep the rubber down and have fun... now that Endura is out - the safety of the event went up by a million measuring units. children will feel safe racing, again.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber495 View Post
    Also doing this for the first time. I haven't ridden in Ganaraska in at least 10-11 years!

Person
    Sep 2005
    I rode the 30km loop last night and the trails were fantastik. With a little rain it will be even better.

Ivy seemed ok too but I still went with the big socks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Good news about the poison ivy. Still going to wear long socks and uv arm protecors to kerp the oils off. Last time i raced the ganny i ended up on oral steroids!

mtbr member
    Tomorrow's weather prediction looks great in terms of riding with covered skin. Gonna be a chilly start for you 100km animals!

60km of pain and fun rolled into one coming my way. Let's do this!

mtbr member
    Wow, first time out for this one, and it was a blast! I'll definitely be back next year! The trails were in great shape (for the 60km route). Not sure how long it took to complete the 60km course though, hopefully they will post the times online soon.

mtbr member
    When I said 60km of fun and pain, I should have underscored, bolded and coloured the word pain.

Needless to say, I did not meet my goal of besting last year's time. Indeed, I was three minutes slower.

Everything started out so well. The course was in perfect shape (thank you friday rain!) and the temp was perfect. For the first 40k I was feeling good and making better then expected time. Then the leg cramps began. I've had cramps before, but not like this. Debilitating. Those last 20k and especially every climb after the last feedzone was an exercise in torture and survival. As the cramps would act up (always toward the end of a climb), I'd have to stop and stand there until my muscles stopped doing their crazy dance (it looked like an alien was going to burst out of the top of my legs!) and then gingerly get back on and limp onwards.

If I hadn't made such good time in the first 40, it would have been a lot worse than 3 minutes slower than last year, that's for sure.

So... anyone have any cramping advice/remedies?
    Last edited by thewake; 09-17-2012 at 11:07 AM.

almost there!
    My only advice for cramping up and it's happened to me a lot is to train for long events with really long rides - and to make sure you're really well rested before each race. Electrolytes help but the real solution is becoming accustomed to riding for that distance.

mtbr member
    Training? That sounds hard. Isn't there a pill I can take?

In truth, you're probably on to something. Due to family responsibilities etc. my rides are usually under 40k and more often in the 30k range.

I guess I just hit my wall...

mtbr member
    Oh do we really need to train for long rides? Haha, this reminds me of a friend who came for a quick visit at Hot August Nights last year, after watching some of the people pass by she was convinced she could handle a 24 hour solo adventure even though she has only attempted one trail ride ever over 1hr.

Not really a magic pill, but since I started mixing perpetuem in my bottles for the long rides I usually don't feel like a bag of ass as much during/after rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Results are up.
    http://www.bloomfieldbicycle.ca/pauls/2012results.html

Great race, first time for me. 60k was very humbling. Way more climbing and singletrack than I anticipated. Will be back next year.
    Eric

mtbr member
    So... anyone have any cramping advice/remedies?
    i am usually a big cramper including during ride, post ride and middle of the night cramps but this year i have been hitting the NUUN tablets hard (one per water bottle or one per 20oz in camelbak) and making damn sure i drink a minimum of 20oz water per hr and more if its hot. i have had almost no cramps all season until the final climbs of the 60km this weekend and they were gone shortly after the race.

try some NUUN or similar electrolyte tablets. might work for you as well.

Evil Jr.
    I would even recommend starting your hydration routine the day before a big event. I try to take in a litre of water in the afternoon prior and I drink another litre of "Nuun" water on the drive up to the venue all on top of whatever I drink during the race.

For 8 Hour solos, I start taking Enduralite capsules starting in hour two.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I would even recommend starting your hydration routine the day before a big event. I try to take in a litre of water in the afternoon prior and I drink another litre of "Nuun" water on the drive up to the venue all on top of whatever I drink during the race.

I'd go further then the day before for hydration. I'll explain the best I can. From what I'm starting to understand is there are two type of hydration we have to consider.. Plasma level hydration- the blood and Muscular- cellular level. Sure we all hydrate the day or two before but the reality is we can only take in so much before we pee it out.

As I understand the area that effects cramping the most is Muscular- Cellular hydration. The problem here is it takes longer for this to occur. Cell's are selective in what they let in. So osmosis across the cell wall doesn't occur very quickly. It doesn't happen in two days. It takes a week or more. For it to truly work you need to be taking in magnesium, calcium, and added sodium and potassium as well as water. Wonder if Creatine would work as well.

The body dehydrates from the plasma first then the muscles. So if you haven't put effort into Muscular-Cellular hydration the week and half before your already behind when you try to hydrate 2 days out.

Members who have read this thread: 0