Paul's Dirty Enduro- Mtbr.com
    Lemmy Rules!

Paul's Dirty Enduro

I have always said to myself, one day I would like to sign up for the 100k Paul's Dirty Enduro. That day has come.

Who else is in?
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Planning to do Paul again this year. I did the 60k last year and had alot of fun, course was awesome and pretty much all on singletrack. Not to sure why but I am considering doing the 100k this year for increase pain and suffering. It is one of the best race out there

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    In for the 30k.

Anything more would interfer with the Team NFI priorities.... BBQ, drinking Antiguan Rum, oogling,

mtbr member
    100k for me again this year. I can't wait for the pain and suffering. Especially the last 20k in the western forest....I thought I was going to die and I still had another 60k to ride...

Actually, I was just in the ganny tonight riding the 30k loop and it's in good shape more or less. A couple washouts from a crazy downpour on Monday but other than that it's all good.

I'll be doing the 60k loop Friday morning if anyone else is taking an extra long weekend and feels like joining in.

mtbr member
    Heard many a great thing, but never done it. I think I'll be in for the 100 km this year.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by akura View Post
    Actually, I was just in the ganny tonight riding the 30k loop and it's in good shape more or less. A couple washouts from a crazy downpour on Monday but other than that it's all good.
    Exellent... already so I can skid the corners and roost the DH's.

mtbr member
    Too bad this race is one week prior to the Fall 8 Hour race. I would not be able to recover in time.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    I was originally thinking of doing the 100k this year, but haven't gotten enough riding in so just doing the 60k again. Can't wait!

namagomi
    Hmmm, do i want another dose of PI..?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Is that fear I detect?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Is that fear I detect?
    The more you fear the PI, the itchier it becomes....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    100k for me again this year. I can't wait for the pain and suffering. Especially the last 20k in the western forest....I thought I was going to die and I still had another 60k to ride...

I'll be doing the 60k loop Friday morning if anyone else is taking an extra long weekend and feels like joining in.
    What time are you thiking of starting tomorrow?
    (I like an early start to beat the heat and get back home to my kids)

sock puppet

just don't dab in corners

and you are safe...

you will be a bit slower, but in the grand scheme of things, no one would notice...

besides, I heard that platforms will protect you from PI as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2 View Post
    What time are you thiking of starting tomorrow?
    (I like an early start to beat the heat and get back home to my kids)
    I'll be at the forest centre parking lot at 8:30.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'll be at the forest centre parking lot at 8:30.
    Cool. I might be there. Have to see what the rest of the family has planned first.

I'll post here as soon as I know.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    and you are safe...

you will be a bit slower, but in the grand scheme of things, no one would notice...

besides, I heard that platforms will protect you from PI as well.
    It's not the dabbing, but the incessant passing of humourless clipless guys on the single-track that gets one feeling itchy.

sock puppet

there is a solution to that too...

just start the last and no one will pass you.

I am actually considering this race as well. Have been toying around with it for a while, and it is one of those epics that I managed to miss somehow...

Old man's squishy or hardtail - does it really matter?

It's not the dabbing, but the incessant passing of humourless clipless guys on the single-track that gets one feeling itchy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

That depends... you doing the S&M race or the ride hard fast and cold beer with your riding buddies.?

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    I'm in. 60 or 100 will decide closer to the day.

Lemmy Rules!

I am actually considering this race as well. Have been toying around with it for a while, and it is one of those epics that I managed to miss somehow...

Stop giving away my race strategy.
    Last edited by Unglued; 08-02-2011 at 04:19 AM.
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet
    I'll be wearing spandex and clipless. Speedo swimmers will replace spandex at the finish.

Enough clue?

namagomi

I thought all old men had squishies.

Hardtail is fine, it is quite sandy, but not too rooty or rocky overall.

namagomi
    I'll be wearing spandex and clipless. Speedo swimmers will replace spandex at the finish.

Enough clue?
    Swimming goggles also? Best way to make sure the PI doesn't get near your eye...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Enough clue?
    Your stud factor increases in the OCA if you race in your Speedo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Akura,

We'll be there for an 8:30 start tomorrow

mtbr member
    Akura,

We'll be there for an 8:30 start tomorrow
    Looks like it's going to be a wet one. I'm still heading out but if I don't see you, I'll know why.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Looks like it's going to be a wet one. I'm still heading out but if I don't see you, I'll know why.
    We'll be there. Blue minivan, Giant and a Jamis.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Don't fall in the ivy, don't fall in the ivy.....

Rain, ivy and horse*****

Let's do 30 instead of 60.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7UMd2ckykuE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member

Slightly Damp

Don't fall in the ivy, don't fall in the ivy.....

Rain, ivy and horse*****

Let's do 30 instead of 60.
    A little wet but still a great ride!

Thanks for coming out, Paul's 60...or 30...is a great ride but always more fun with company. And kudos to your wife for riding the whole thing on slicks, that's quite the trick

Anyone who's thinking about doing Paul's this year for the first time should definitely get out and give it a go, it's a great event.

The signs are all up permanently now so come pre-ride the 15/30/or 60km loop anytime you want without worrying about getting lost.

mtbr member
    I'm in for the 30km this year. I have been doing Paul's Dirty Enduro for a few years now and it is always a fun ride and it is the people that make it so. Looking forward to this year's ride.

Lemmy Rules!
    Just looked at the website. 2000m of climbing. That's twice as much as the toughest day of Crank the Shield. If I had seen that before registering, I might have gone for the 60k instead. Oh well...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Allllrightythen... since this will be my first "race" ever, I thought why not sign up for the 60km. Gulp.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by thewake View Post
    Allllrightythen... since this will be my first "race" ever, I thought why not sign up for the 60km. Gulp.
    I'm not really viewing this as a race. It's just a really long ride on some really great trails. Sounds like you are approaching things the same way. Good call!
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I'm not really viewing this as a race. It's just a really long ride on some really great trails. Sounds like you are approaching things the same way. Good call!
    Ya, definitely not going to be killing myself out there. I figure that I'm obviously never going to be able to hang with the young and/or superfit, So I'll leave more space on the podium for them. I'm just going to cruz it and enjoy it. Really looking forward to it actually. Hopefully will be able to get out to pre-ride the 60 (or maybe just the 30) in the next week or so to give myself some comfort and knowledge about what will be coming my way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Registered for the 100K

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Well, well... I think I need to enter as well. 60km sounds doable. What's better? hardtail 29er or 26er squishie?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GroceryBagHead View Post
    Well, well... I think I need to enter as well. 60km sounds doable. What's better? hardtail 29er or 26er squishie?
    Isn't the answer obvious? 29er with full squish.

I Strava Hamburgers
    I've volunteered as a sweep for the event. Taking another stab at the 8H Solo the following week. That and its a chance to get out on my bike and just relax in the poison ivy.. err I mean bush.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Strongly thinking about this. Is the course more oriented towards technical singletrack, or xc style fire roads?

Basically, I'd much rather fail by smashing into trees and rolling down hills than fail because my legs give out (I have Paris Ancaster Single Speed for that, haha). What am I looking at?

Lemmy Rules!
    Ya, definitely not going to be killing myself out there. I figure that I'm obviously never going to be able to hang with the young and/or superfit, So I'll leave more space on the podium for them. I'm just going to cruz it and enjoy it. Really looking forward to it actually. Hopefully will be able to get out to pre-ride the 60 (or maybe just the 30) in the next week or so to give myself some comfort and knowledge about what will be coming my way.
    Look at it this way: you're going to be spending the day riding some great trails which you normally would not be able to access that easily. It's so not about the result and the podium for me. I just wanna see if I can ride 100k on a rigid singlespeed.
    Strava made me do it....

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by elTwitcho View Post
    Strongly thinking about this. Is the course more oriented towards technical singletrack, or xc style fire roads?

Basically, I'd much rather fail by smashing into trees and rolling down hills than fail because my legs give out (I have Paris Ancaster Single Speed for that, haha). What am I looking at?
    Mostly windy, flowy singletrack with a lot of climbing and from what I hear, a fair amount of sand in the first 40k of the 100km distance.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    windy, flowy singletrack
    I'm so in!

a lot of climbing

Pretending I didn't read that!

Probably do the 60K but the 100K is tempting. I've never taken the dual squish on a ride longer than 25K though, so we'll have to see what happens. I've done a 360km brevet on my road bike, but apples and oranges and all that...

Looking forward to beer and a fantastic fail though

mtbr member
    I'm all signed up again for the 100K. The first time I did this race was the 100K, go big or go home I guess. All I remember is pain and the thought of "why did I do this" going through my head. Needless to say that was 2 years ago and I must have forgotten..... looking forward to it.

"Go till I blow..... chunks"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Just signed up for the 100k. Can you camp on Friday and Saturday or is it Friday only. I don't know if I will be in a driving mood after 6+ hours on the bike

mtbr member
    Gonna pre-ride the 60 (or try to) this Sunday. I'll report back re conditions etc. If anyone wants to join, pm me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Gonna pre-ride the 60 (or try to) this Sunday. I'll report back re conditions etc. If anyone wants to join, pm me.
    How was it?

I MAY go tomorrow...better see what the rest of the family has planned first.

mtbr member
    How was it?

I MAY go tomorrow...better see what the rest of the family has planned first.
    Yesterday was my first adventure in the Gan in over a decade, so its fair to say it was my first ride on real trails in there. Needless to say, I was very impressed with it.

I will say that it would appear that a lot of work needs to be done to clear trees in the wake of the recent storms we've had. There is one particularly dangerous one which I was unlucky enough to get up close and personal with. Its at the base of a very long fire road descent where we were doing over 40kph. I believe it was after the 100/60K-30K split. I think. It's difficult to remember. I was lucky to only have the wind knocked out of me and get cut up.
    That was probably the only felled tree which is outright dangerous, the others are simply annoying.

The other indelible impression was as to how virgin the whole trail felt. Compared to say Kelso or Durham, which are hardpacked as a result of so much travel, the trails on Paul's were soft (when not sand, in which case it was very soft).

Overall tho, it was a great way to spend a day exploring the bush. Between the maps available on the Paul's website and the trail markings, as long as one is committed to staying on the course, it's pretty much fool proof.

Now if we could just do something about that never ending hill near the end of the route....

mtbr member
    Yesterday was my first adventure in the Gan in over a decade, so its fair to say it was my first ride on real trails in there. Needless to say, I was very impressed with it.

I will say that it would appear that a lot of work needs to be done to clear trees in the wake of the recent storms we've had. There is one particularly dangerous one which I was unlucky enough to get up close and personal with. Its at the base of a very long fire road descent where we were doing over 40kph. I believe it was after the 100/60K-30K split. I think. It's difficult to remember. I was lucky to only have the wind knocked out of me and get cut up.
    That was probably the only felled tree which is outright dangerous, the others are simply annoying.

The other indelible impression was as to how virgin the whole trail felt. Compared to say Kelso or Durham, which are hardpacked as a result of so much travel, the trails on Paul's were soft (when not sand, in which case it was very soft).

Overall tho, it was a great way to spend a day exploring the bush. Between the maps available on the Paul's website and the trail markings, as long as one is committed to staying on the course, it's pretty much fool proof.

Now if we could just do something about that never ending hill near the end of the route....
    We've had some MAJOR storms here in the last few weeks and there's been a lot of washing out causing the normally pretty hard packed trails to feel a little softer. As long as the crazy storms hold out for a couple weeks it should be all good.

There will be trail cleaning/prepping every week from now until the race so not to worry, the nasty stuff will be all cleaned up.

Sorry to hear about your run in with the tree, that must've happened during wednesday's storm. There always seems to be giant trees down somewhere on that descent.

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself otherwise!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My ride report (that tree was at the bottom of Paul's Fave BEWARE everyone, until it gets cleared...

I just went this morning and did the whole 60 (minus an inadvertent short cut in the second Southern section). I cleared a bunch of dead trees that could be dragged or broken, but I couldn't move them all, so....

WATCH OUT - Near the bottom of the steep descent of Paul's Fave (when you are really flying), there are trees across the trail AND also on the Larch Lake Loop descent (maybe 2/3 of the way down - more fallen trees - I just barely stopped in time

Also, at the very beginning of Epsilon Pond, there is a huge fallen tree blocking the trail. You'll have to walk around it to rejoin the trail.

I'm trying to think if that is it or not..there are plenty of loose sticks and logs, and a few larger logs that are harder to get over than the typical ones. The sand is pretty bad in sections (10th Line comes to mind), including making some of the singletrack corners trickier than usual.

The very end singletrack has been replaced! We lose one of the nicest few hundred metres anywhere, but the new singletrack looks like it will be great once it is ridden in.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Team NFI is registered. Fear me Poison Ivy.

mtbr member
    The very end singletrack has been replaced! We lose one of the nicest few hundred metres anywhere, but the new singletrack looks like it will be great once it is ridden in.
    I rode it Saturday and was SO disappointed.....That was one of my fav spots....I hope you're right about it being good once ridden more but it's hard to get that feeling riding it now.

mtbr member
    I can also report that my cuts are scabbing nicely, my bruises are developing a nice tone, and the poison ivy is now blistering with abandon. I should be healed in time to do it all over again on the 17th.

The other thing I think we should advise/warn about - for the people who have never ridden in there (or at least not the 60K loop) and I'll need help from the vets on this to pin point it - is that somewhere up in "twilight zone" or thereabouts, there are two large pits in the middle of the trail on a bit of a fast section. When approaching it looks like something which could be pumped (and maybe an expert could) but when we got up close, they simply looked dangerous. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I thought I'd do any other noobs a favour and let them know about it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I can also report that my cuts are scabbing nicely, my bruises are developing a nice tone, and the poison ivy is now blistering with abandon. I should be healed in time to do it all over again on the 17th.

The other thing I think we should advise/warn about - for the people who have never ridden in there (or at least not the 60K loop) and I'll need help from the vets on this to pin point it - is that somewhere up in "twilight zone" or thereabouts, there are two large pits in the middle of the trail on a bit of a fast section. When approaching it looks like something which could be pumped (and maybe an expert could) but when we got up close, they simply looked dangerous. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I thought I'd do any other noobs a favour and let them know about it.
    That would be "Holey Land" and there are more than just two pits (4 I think). Until this year, there were planks across each pit, but they looked suspect (rotted?), so everyone rode around them - that was THE line. This year, the planks are gone, and you have a choice. The first two can be pumped, but you have to be ready for them...I missed the others, as I was so used to the old line that I didn't think of doing them until I was beside them, so I can't comment on those.
    You will know that you are close them, when you pass the East Feedzone, right at the entrance to Holey Land. You will climb a little first, but you're only about a minute in when the holes start.

One more dangerous part I just remembered form my pre-ride. About 8 km in, the trail crosses a road (I think its Carmel 2nd Line - it DEFINITELY says Snowmobile Crossing). This is another pump like down and up, except this year, the down is much more washed out than usual. Be careful.

mtbr member
    That would be "Holey Land" and there are more than just two pits (4 I think). Until this year, there were planks across each pit, but they looked suspect (rotted?), so everyone rode around them - that was THE line. This year, the planks are gone, and you have a choice. The first two can be pumped, but you have to be ready for them...I missed the others, as I was so used to the old line that I didn't think of doing them until I was beside them, so I can't comment on those. .

I have been through these holes several times they are rideable. Just be careful (if your are male) that on the up side your saddle doesn't smack your boys.

One more dangerous part I just remembered form my pre-ride. About 8 km in, the trail crosses a road (I think its Carmel 2nd Line - it DEFINITELY says Snowmobile Crossing). This is another pump like down and up, except this year, the down is much more washed out than usual. Be careful.
    that has just happened, next time you are I go through, throw in some larger rocks so the water will not wash them away.

Also, at the very beginning of Epsilon Pond, there is a huge fallen tree blocking the trail. You'll have to walk around it to rejoin the trail.
    Done, as of last night all has been cleared both at the entrance and the exit of the X-files. We left the new bypass in the centre of the X-files as those trees are too big for us to manage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    This is my first time to try Paul's Dirty, sign up for 60k. Planning to pre-ride this weekend. Could anyone tell me if the trail mark clear enough to follow? And what color the mark is? Thanks!

mtbr member

blowing the trails

To the person who blows the trails with a leave blower before a race in June or July in the Ganaraska.

It does a nice job of exposing the trail, but here is what we are finding. The removal of the leaves and needles exposes the very thin topsoil (which is just a few mm thick). When it rains this topsoil is quickly washed way exposing the sand. The sand gets washed into the corners and collects there making the corners sandy and loose. It might be best to rake the trails which will leave some of the leaves and needs behind on the trail to help support the topsoil from erosion. Raking is also more environmentally friendly

any other ideas?
    Last edited by temporoad; 08-31-2011 at 10:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkbear View Post
    This is my first time to try Paul's Dirty, sign up for 60k. Planning to pre-ride this weekend. Could anyone tell me if the trail mark clear enough to follow? And what color the mark is? Thanks!
    All the markers are pink, on metal signs. Very easy to follow, but I would strongly recommend you print off the maps available here: the fifeenth PAUL'S in the Ganaraska Forest Centre | September 18, 2010

Keep an eye open for the "splits" (i.e. where the 15K branches off, and where the 30 K branches off) as this will help you to orient yourself on the map. It's very easy to loose your sense of direction. For example, I crossed the 10th line and did all of YeeHaw without even realizing it.

Have Fun. Bring a bottle of water with dishdetergent in your car to wash yourself down with. I didn't do that and I'm paying the price currently. must... not.. scrath... the blisters...

mtbr member
    BTW, are dirt bikes allowed on this route in the central forest? Somebody had really done a number on B+ . Assuming that they are not allowed (perhaps they are) I suppose it would be almost impossible to police since the place is so large. anyway, it's shame because it really chewed up the ground and made it super sandy.

mtbr member
    Have Fun. Bring a bottle of water with dishdetergent in your car to wash yourself down with. I didn't do that and I'm paying the price currently. must... not.. scrath... the blisters...
    better still, you can use the bathrooms and there is a shower in them. (bring soap and towel)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    better still, you can use the bathrooms and there is a shower in them. (bring soap and towel)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    To the person who blows the trails with a leave blower before a race in June or July in the Ganaraska.

It does a nice job of exposing the trail, but here is what we are finding. The removal of the leaves and needles exposes the very thin topsoil (which is just a few mm thick). When it rains this topsoil is quickly washed way exposing the sand. The sand gets washed into the corners and collects there making the corners sandy and loose. It might be best to rake the trails which will leave some of the leaves and needs behind on the trail to help support the topsoil from erosion. Raking is also more environmentally friendly

any other ideas?
    That's probably Dan who runs the Substance projects races. He posts on here occasionally but you could check out his website and shoot him an email if you like.

mtbr member
    Rode the 60k loop (almost) yesterday and only had to dismount once about 2/3 down Paul's fav for a chest high fallen tree. I think I got a bit of heat stroke and unfortunately had to limp back to the parking lot without doing the last bit of singletrack that connects back to the 30k loop so I can't comment on that.

Definitely sandier this year in the trails closer to the forest centre but once you get past the 30/60k split it's all good except the 10th line but it's always a sandy slog no matter what.

2 more weeks!

Kidding myself...
    I'm in for the 60 again!
    "When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." ~H.G. Wells

wanna be racer...settling

I'm in for 60 k

I've heard this is a "MUST DO". Given I live close by.....in for 60!!
    That day has come :)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbragdon View Post
    I've heard this is a "MUST DO". Given I live close by.....in for 60!!
    See you there, John....this one's just a sprint for you

sock puppet
    So other than Unglued The Killer, who else is doing 100k???

I am contemplating signing up, but am trying to feel how much pain I want to handle next weekend. It's been a long season, however, never done the Paul's so may as well do it this year...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am doing the 110k, but I dont think you know me from Adam (no my name is not Adam).

Is anyone else camping there?

mtbr member
    I am also doing the 100k.... carpooling with unglued so we can start the ***** talking at 5:30am instead of at 8

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    I am doing the 110k, but I dont think you know me from Adam (no my name is not Adam).

Is anyone else camping there?
    110? I didn't sign up for that...

Not camping out on Friday. I figure I want to sleep in my own bed the night before the biggest suffer-fest of the year
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Maybe he plans on missing a corner.... or making it into a century?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    110? I didn't sign up for that...
    Ooops. My typing skills are akin to my MTB skills. My bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by misconceptionz View Post
    I am also doing the 100k.... carpooling with unglued so we can start the ***** talking at 5:30am instead of at 8
    Did you see the weather forecast for friday's overnight temperature? Brrr.

It'll be a chily start for the 100km riders.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I did a "Kids' 15 km pre-ride" on Saturday with another racer and his two (three if you count the one on his handlebars).

2:00 ride time (4:00 total time, including breaks, toad-catching, log-pile climbing, etc.)

Some logging operations near the end of the course, and lots of sand, but otherwise good (the 15km anyway)

mtbr member
    I saw that the temp. high is predicted to be 18. That's perfect in my books. Will be able to cover more skin. The PI from my pre-ride is almost gone. Would love to avoid another bought. It was nasty.

getting pumped!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The daytime temp looks perfect. Gonna need the thermal sleeping bags for camping though!

sock puppet
    that makes 3 of us so far... that is if i feel sadomasochistic on friday and decide to go for a centurion...

oops, akura is in as well and jcr is "thinking"... that is potentially 5

Lemmy Rules!
    that makes 3 of us so far... that is if i feel sadomasochistic on friday and decide to go for a centurion...

You guys gotta do it. 100k and 7+ hours on the bike, and never riding the same trail twice? How many times a year do we get to do something like that?
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Not thinking...already registered for the 100k. Will be staying at the Best Western in Oshawa on Friday night. There is 3 of us doing the 100k including the returning King Andrew.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    There are 3 of us in my group. 2 doing the 100k, and one doing the 60.
    We are doing the camping thing, though...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Will be doing the camping and BBQ thing the Sat night.

Lemmy Rules!
    One of the reasons I started this thread was so that I couldn't back out of doing the 100k. Good thing...my pre-race nerves are starting to kick in.
    Strava made me do it....

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    60k for me!

A couple of questions:

can you camp both nights?
    is there veggie options for the post race meal?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by VVagabond View Post
    You can camp Sat night. The Don Rats will be easy to spot.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    You can camp Sat night. The Don Rats will be easy to spot.
    Does that mean you can't camp Friday night? only Saturday?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VVagabond View Post
    60k for me!

A couple of questions:

Last year there was vegetarian chili. I think everything else was bean & green salads and what not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You can camp both nights. That's what I am doing.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Great, thanks akura and RiotMTB.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Last year there was vegetarian chili. I think everything else was bean & green salads and what not.
    I recall there being a lot of the veggie stuff. Something about the majority being better hunters.

sock puppet
    hmm, eat lots of perogies and bring some to share with me. i'd guess you'd be climbing around 1700-1800, but that means you will also be descending that much... win-win...

mtbr member
    I'm signed up for the 60km. I've never been to Ganaraska so don't know what the trails are like (aside from rumours of a little poison ivy in the area).
    Anyone have an idea of what the course is like? Hilly? Any guess at the elevation gain?

I'm trying to figure calculate how many perogies I need to eat prior.
    I love riding my bike!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetfilly7 View Post
    I'm signed up for the 60km. I've never been to Ganaraska so don't know what the trails are like (aside from rumours of a little poison ivy in the area).
    Anyone have an idea of what the course is like? Hilly? Any guess at the elevation gain?

Those aren't rumours!

It is hilly but you are going to love it. Be sure to make lots of motorcycle noises through the berms!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Those aren't rumours!
    What is this Poison Ivy you all speak of??

Some kind of new Pork Chop marinade?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mmmmmmm....Pork Chops...
    And perogies??

mtbr member

The 100k has over 7000 feet, not sure about the 60 but I will tell you that nothing is free. You have to work hard for every reward of flowy single track or long descent.

snowbound
    Jan 2005

I rode the loop last November, my garmin showed 4350 feet, our moving time was just under 4 hours.
    The garmin also showed I burned 4750 calories, or roughly 63 perogies (at 75 cal each).

Results will vary based on your weight(I am 195lbs), effort(I estimate I was at 80% race effort) and temps.

Rather than consuming all the perogies before the race, consider carrying some with you to refuel along the way.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Hey guys.

If anyone wants to go volunteer, they're still looking for marshals and such. If you're interested you can email:

bbc at bloomfieldbicycle.ca

They're looking for anyone and anything right now to help make it a smooth event.

namagomi
    Bring a pair of disposable gloves in case you mechanical/flat and FYI i think there will be frost there tomorrow morning - good luck to those tenting it tonight

Lemmy Rules!
    I have entered the "oh [email protected] what have I gotten myself into here" stage of pre-race mental preparation....
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    I have entered the "oh [email protected] what have I gotten myself into here" stage of pre-race mental preparation....
    Deep breaths. You'll do fine. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sock puppet

pffft... i still don't know which bike

i will race tomorrow...

I Strava Hamburgers
    Bring a pair of disposable gloves in case you mechanical/flat and FYI i think there will be frost there tomorrow morning - good luck to those tenting it tonight
    Holy hell that's a good idea. Adding some latex gloves to my mobile toolkit now!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Holy hell that's a good idea. Adding some latex gloves to my mobile toolkit now!
    Not a bad idea if someone has a bone sticking out of their shoulder where it shouldn't too.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Actually that and I get to use all that first aid I learned from the internet.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YOf0XgGaTrA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Evil Jr.
    Actually that and I get to use all that first aid I learned from the internet.
    Another handy item, if you have them to spare, is a bunch of quick links. That way you can convert people to SS (when they bust their derailleurs) on the fly like some kind of benevolent forest spirit.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Got a 8,9,10 and KMC quick link in there.
    Chain Breaker
    Stans
    Tube for a 9er.
    Patch Kit
    Bungee Cable
    Duct Tape
    First Aid Kit
    Hand Pump
    3 CO2s

And now some latex gloves!

Hopefully I have to use 0 of this kit, and everyone makes it over the line without a mechanical or an injury!

Edit: Was thinking about a flask with some whiskey but that might be frowned upon.

Evil Jr.
    All I'd add (and I'm sure you have it) is a solid multi-tool or, better yet, a full set of Allen keys plus a Torx tool.

And tire irons...

I Strava Hamburgers
    Actually didn't think of Torx tools.

You know, I almost wonder if it'd be beneficial to start a thread, or redirect the group ride thread with a "what should you bring" kinda flavor for trail mishaps.

Evil Jr.
    If you still have space, throw in a 15mm wrench. Good for pedals and wheel nuts (you never know what kind of bike people will bring).

Lemmy Rules!
    Deep breaths. You'll do fine. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.
    Yeah, you're right. If it gets too hard, I can walk
    Strava made me do it....

Lemmy Rules!
    i will race tomorrow...
    Easy. If you're gonna be on the bike all day, there's really only one answer. It begins with "tall" and ends with "boy"
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet
    Edit: Was thinking about a flask with some whiskey but that might be frowned upon.
    yeah, your right...

burbon is much more acceptable...

sock puppet

hmm, too late...

Heck, I'll go old school and bring the HT. Thanks for the advice Akura... I'll have a couple of Ibuprofens in my back pocket, just in case...

And if I survive, I'll make sure I brag about it...

Easy. If you're gonna be on the bike all day, there's really only one answer. It begins with "tall" and ends with "boy"
    Last edited by osokolo; 09-16-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Evil Jr.
    yeah, your right...

burbon is much more acceptable...

mtbr member
    Heck, I'll go old school and bring the HT. Thanks for the advice Akura... I'll have a couple of Ibuprofens in my back pocket, just in case...

No problem man, glad to help.

Made the list, checked it twice and everything's packed up and ready to go for tomorrow. I just took some things out to the car a few minutes ago.....gonna be a chilly night for campers if they're not prepared....There was frost at my buddy's place this morning and he's not even 5 minutes from the forest centre....

Good luck to everyone, hope you all have a great ride.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I feel sorry for those early morning starters. Well I would if I actually felt anything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

This will be my first race on a hardtail. I just got it built up...but don't worry, I took it for a 10 minute spin at the local dog park to make sure I can handle racing it for 3 hours. Ibuprofen, you say?

I Strava Hamburgers
    Sweep Report:

1 bent derailleur, bent it back in place for them, wire stripped out, they were able to finish the 15K.

One bike 2 broken shifters after a crash. Convert to singlespeed by adjusting rear derailleur. I felt bad for the guy because he got called off the course

0 Medicals

The trails were awesome.

wanna be racer...settling
    EEk..my last week of nightly intake of red wine and being absent from any form of bike saddle didn't prep me for today's 60 k.....strange!?!?!? Started strong and bonked at 45 k mark...last 15 k was Brutal. At least I can use the 4 hour and second finish as a benchmark to beat next year! Amazed at the tenacity of all those 100 k finishers. This course was absolutely UNREAL...so much single track, beauty climbs and blistering fast downhills...a GIVEN for annual event fo shore!
    That day has come :)

Lemmy Rules!
    Best day on the mountainbike all year. Started off slow as I had heard the first 40k of the 100k was the worst part of the course. It was. Took it easy so as to not spin my legs out. Attempted most of the climbs.

The 60k after going through the start area was awesome - fast, flowy, but challenging. My pacing strategy worked out, but I didn't have that much left at the end. The last 15k, and especially the "climb that never ends" was really tough.

I didn't have a super-fast time and was well down the standings. Don't care, though, 'cause I had a blast and can now say I have ridden Paul's Dirty Enduro 100k on a singlespeed.

Thanks to all the race organizers, volunteers and great people on the trails for making this such a great day.

Now I'm cracking open a bottle of wine, then going to bed...
    Strava made me do it....

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Stellar day on the bike, love those trails. What an excellent vibe after the race as well. Unglued has the right idea, I'm going to crack a bottle of liberty school cab. Oh and those socks, too cool, great idea.

sock puppet

congrats Barry (and race report)

I am convinced that all 100km race finishers should get a finisher medal. The weather was great, the course was perfect and still pushing a human body on two wheels over 100km of relentless course is tough, to say the least. We all "hit the wall". Some sooner, some later.

I don't know what was worse today at 7am, waiting for the race start in 5 degrees Celsius or thinking about what lays ahead. The fact that i had to get up before 5am got me thinking "what the hell am I doing"... But the option of living down broken commitment and Barry's determination to "go big or go home" got me going...

Took 10 minutes of the race to warm up. The start of the 100km race was strikingly similar to the O-Cup start - hammer all out until the singletrack... I didn't know much about the course and "the first 40km" but was soon rudely awakened. Sand everywhere. Sand on the doubletrack, sand on the singletrack, sand on the gully climbs... I hate sand. Those climbs would have been tough even if it was hardpack but sand made them worse. I had a feeling that we were either climbing or descending. For the next 40km that was the theme... There were some adrenalin pumping descents, technical climbs but most importantly - great bunch of riders on the course. I had a privilege to ride some 20kms with Queen Heather - last year's female overall winner. What a tough cookie she is. At times, I had to turn the turbo on just to stay on her wheel in the singletrack... We parted ways mostly due to Heather's inability to match the speed of the group on the doubletrack and/or some tough climbs... I was truly impressed with Heather...

I was relieved when we hit the start/finish area after 40kms of... too much sand and too much climbing. On sand.

We passed by just as 60/30/15km racers were lining up to start their race. Although the organizer put a lot of effort in marking the course - at times it was tough to confirm that we were riding on actual course. 4 of us missed the turn in the first 40 clicks and I had to break hard few times NOT to miss the turn again. I blame it on the state of oblivion that sets in pretty quickly, which makes it hard to read signs... We were busy surviving.

Last 60kms of this race were riding haven. 95% singletrack and it was sweet. Forget all the pain and burning muscles, sometimes in the upper body, on the top of quads and calves. My arms were equally sore - towards the end it became a problem on few descents. It was interesting how the little group that I was part of, went through it's many lives. My resume was not up to the resumes of the rest of the group, but every one has his/her day when this doesnt matter as much. We all went through individual tough times, got second, third, fourth winds, suffered, hammered etc. Never at the same time. Lots of mind games.

My nutrition strategy was the first "perfect storm" of my racing career. Just perfect. Enough electrolytes (carried few extra tablets), chewy food, extra bottle with recovery powder that I was carrying in my pocket empty, planning to top it off with water on the last aid station - for when muscles start screaming for proteins, not just carbs. Switched to pure water at the half of the race... Worked like a charm. Or maybe it was just a coincidence, and I just chose to blame it on great nutrition.

I was flying today, to the point that I could not believe that I could push pedals so hard after 4 or 5 hours of equally hard hammering... Flying up and down those trails at such speed was just added fun, though I almost ate it a few times in sandy corners or off camber fast sweepers. The hard tail was the right call, and I kissed good bye any communication with my back after a couple of Ibuprofens. Renegade tires were fast, though a bit twitchy in some corners that caught me by surprise. However, benefits way outweighed few concerns. Great tires.

The bike worked excellent, not a missed shift or chainsuck. It is so important that equipment issues are non-existent - without it a good result or top fun is not achievable. Had to stop and tighten up the rear bottle cage bolts - due to teeth shattering rough sections of the trail. But that was my fault for not loctite-ing them anyway.

The finish line could not have come at the better moment. I hit the wall at the top of the hill that I thought would never end. I thought Ontario was flat. I guess not flat enough and two of these hills, particularly the second one instigated weird creativity to come up with most funny curses that my mind could have come up with... Luckily, after this last major climb, it was smooth sailing to the finish line. I just had to bring it home safe. And I did.

One of the toughest one day races I have ever done. The only tougher single days were at LaRuta - day one, and maybe day 6 of Transrockies.

It was really nice to put names to faces of Akura and Misconceptionz. Nice to meeting you guys. Akura - congrats on collecting a significant cash donation for Canadian Mental Health association - that was a very noble thing to do, and the occasion could not have been better. Too bad you had a mechanical - but way to convert your rig to singlespeed and hang in there till the end.

Unglued - monster 100k race. I bow to your tenacity and determination. Respect!

Everyone else, particularly organizers and volunteers - thank you for your effort - it was top notch. Chili was AWESOME. More important than Poison Ivy wash for me. I was that hungry.

And of course - all the usual suspect that had way more important things to do than to compulsively post on this forum - and that is to ride their bikes on fantastic trails with all friends.

Agreed with Unglued - the best day on the bike this year.

Best day on the mountainbike all year. Started off slow as I had heard the first 40k of the 100k was the worst part of the course. It was. Took it easy so as to not spin my legs out. Attempted most of the climbs.

The 60k after going through the start area was awesome - fast, flowy, but challenging. My pacing strategy worked out, but I didn't have that much left at the end. The last 15k, and especially the "climb that never ends" was really tough.

I didn't have a super-fast time and was well down the standings. Don't care, though, 'cause I had a blast and can now say I have ridden Paul's Dirty Enduro 100k on a singlespeed.

Thanks to all the race organizers, volunteers and great people on the trails for making this such a great day.

Now I'm cracking open a bottle of wine, then going to bed...
    Last edited by osokolo; 09-17-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Stellar day on the bike, love those trails. What an excellent vibe after the race as well. Unglued has the right idea, I'm going to crack a bottle of liberty school cab. Oh and those socks, too cool, great idea.
    Stick a fork in me. I'm done. An epsom salts bath is calling
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    Well done guys!

bi-winning
    Great race report osokolo.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member

Congrats to everyone....

amazing write up as usual Oggie..

I can not even imagine to ride 100k on any kind of bike.... Yet..

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Well done to the 100k guys.

After the 30k was done and chili scarfed. It was beer at the DJ's with the guy's.

More details when a little more sober.

sock puppet

I was hoping

you were going to come out from under your rock and introduce yourself....

but i understand your intimidation and fear from large group gatherings...

Well done to the 100k guys.

After the 30k was done and chili scarfed. It was beer at the DJ's with the guy's.

More details when a little more sober.

mtbr member
    Having completed the 60k, I must say that I agree with Osokolo in that anyone who finishes the 100k deserves some serious recognition. The thought of adding 40k of sand to what I rode yesterday makes every part of me hurt.

What a great event though, will definitely go back next year to try and beat my time. Hopefully I wont have to walk as many of those climbs in the last 10-15k next year. Having said that, I did beat my personal goal for this year by 20 minutes, so I'm feeling very pleased with myself as it is.

I also just want to send out cosmic intertubes good vibes to the two riders that I rode with from about 40K to about 50K. I needed the company at that moment in the ride and their mere presence, after riding alone for long stretches, was a god send.

Also very pleased with the cool weather and that I was able to ride the whole time with a majority of my skin covered. Here's hoping I escaped the PI this time, cause the last couple of weeks since my pre-ride have been itchy.

Party on Garth!

sock puppet
    Barry
    Are you still with us? Alive?
    I can't imagine 50k Challenge at Hardwood without you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Signature

mtbr member

My favourite race of the year

My personal race was a little bittersweet but definitely a great event and a great day all around.

I started out mid-pack and fought the dust, avoided getting caught in any wrecks (there were lots), and managed to work my way up into the top 3rd by about the 2nd or 3rd piece of singletrack. All without having to do any hammering out of the gates which always kills me as I take a good 15-20 minutes to warm up.

On some of the early switchbacks I spotted 'the fast group' of about 7 or 8 riders but there were still lots of people between myself and them so I put it out of mind and just focused on the game plan. It was a pretty simple plan, a nice steady spin up the long climbs and hammer the **** out of everything else. It must have been working because I picked off a ton of riders before the 30/60k course split.

After the split it was pretty stagnant. I rode behind an older gentleman for a long while. Every time I thought it was time to go by, he'd surge and pull away and then I'd catch him again a few minutes later. This must have went on for a good half hour and finally he cracked, I squeaked by, and he disappeared behind me.

Holey land was murder on my back...I said after last year's 100k that I was going to do a lot more work on my core over the winter and spring but.....that didn't happen and I paid the price with pain yesterday. My legs and lungs still felt great so I put my back out of mind as much as possible and kept pushing and ended up getting by 4 or 5 more riders before getting out of there.

I crossed the 10th line and into yee-haw very strong and optimistic. I've ridden this 60k loop countless times before and after looking down at my computer and seeing my ride time I knew I was having a blisteringly fast ride (for me anyway). I passed 1 or 2 more people early on in yee-haw, and kept seeing glimpses of other riders up ahead. Pushed on for another 5 minutes by myself until I saw what I thought were a few of the jerseys of the riders in the original group of fast guys.

I never thought I had it in me to be riding near the top of the field for any kind of race like this but here I was....This gave me such a huge boost of confidence that I swear my back healed instantly, the pedals were turning over fast and I was flying and then I heard a CRUNCH.....I looked down and saw my rear derailleur twisted and gnarled into my spokes. F!!! I went from feeling amazing to crushed in an instant.

It took me at least 5 minutes just to get everything untangled but eventually I was able to get the rear mech off, shorten the chain, and turn it into a make-shift singlespeed. By this time I couldn't count the number of riders that had gone by....My top of the field finish was gone so all I could do was keep going. Every time I stood up to climb, my bike would squat, the chain would jump all over and I'd have to get off and fix it. It took me a few tries to figure out that if I couldn't sit and grind away that I had to get off and run. I came out of yee-haw 25 minutes behind where I should've been and pressed on.

I rode the remainder with an australian girl (cycle solutions maybe?) catching her and losing her countless times and chatting away for some nice company until eventually I crossed the finish line at 4h2m.

I'm a little disappointed to think about what could've been but that's mountain biking and **** happens and everything else turned out amazingly well.

It was great to meet Oggie and put a face to the name and shoot the **** for a minute. Congrats again on the 2nd place finish that's an amazing piece of riding, the 100k's a tough race.

Also, we raised the most money as a family for the second year in a row for a cause that really hits home with us and I think that makes up for any amount of broken derailleurs.

Can't wait to do it all again next year!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Also, we raised the most money as a family for the second year in a row for a cause that really hits home with us and I think that makes up for any amount of broken derailleurs.

Can't wait to do it all again next year!
    Congratulations on that again...three times what we raised as a family! Wow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    THANK YOU if whoever found and returned my GoPro posts or lurks on here.

Lemmy Rules!
    Barry
    Are you still with us? Alive?
    I can't imagine 50k Challenge at Hardwood without you.

Alive and well. Legs are sore, but Unglued Jr. just announced he wants to go on a bike ride, so duty calls. I guess my total mileage for the weekend will be 105k.
    Strava made me do it....

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Congrats to Unglued on his excellent ride and Oggie for the super fast time in a very competitive category and to every one on here who raced. What a great event and great cause!
    The organizers were as amazing as the singletrack!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    This was the toughest race I have done. At least that is what my body is still telling me today.
    The sand on the first 40k was brutal. I will have nightmares of it for the rest of the week. Didn't have my nutrition properly dialed in for that kind of workout that early in the race.

I was not so unhappy with the 'forever' climbs of the last 60k, cuz the 'forever' decents were such a hoot they more than made up for it.

I'm not so impressed with my time; but just happy to say i finished it.

Now for next weekends 8 hr??

namagomi
    Still blowing dust out of my nose... If you liked paul's 100k you should try Victoria's 100(mile), in the spring if you haven't considered it, Victoria's has 2000ft less climbing but 60 more km of track and no dreaded PI(but no cool socks). However there are lots of derailleur and spoke snapping twigs on both courses!

Unfortunately I saw a couple crashes(everybody was ok) and I even crashed on a bunch of wash-out in a corner that was over-grown with bush. Should have taken the platforms so I could of easily dropped a foot there! Oh well. It was interesting and frustrating to see a lot of the faster riders really struggle on technical sections or just get off and walk up them. That lead to a lot of passing and I don't hear too well so i'll just end up going by much to a couple rider's apparent chagrin if they don't speak up loudly and ask me to wait. - it is a race though. Congrats to osokolo(Oggie?) who stuck a 2nd place - that required a lot of determination.

Too bad I missed the rubber chicken and HSCoach's free GoPro... i could have held it for ransom on mtbr - but glad they got it back anyways

Time to go for a recovery ride!

sock puppet
    too bad you didn't introduce yourself. maybe when i replaced my sausage suit with regular inconspicuous clothes?

that was weak and disappointing. congrats on finishing your race.

namagomi
    too bad you didn't introduce yourself. maybe when i replaced my sausage suit with regular inconspicuous clothes?

that was weak and disappointing. congrats on finishing your race.
    Thanks, i think... Had fun there ripping around there and i'm sure you did also.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    you were going to come out from under your rock and introduce yourself....

but i understand your intimidation and fear from large group gatherings...
    Saw the awards. Was hanging with my buddy Dean catching up. Plus met the poster known as 14 Stone. Though for the life of me can't recall his real name... I blame the combination of lack of sleep, Antiguan Rum, and was enjoying a wee bit of a free viewing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Bittersweet CRUNCH

My personal race was a little bittersweet but definitely a great event and a great day all around.

After the split it was pretty stagnant. I rode behind an older gentleman for a long while. Every time I thought it was time to go by, he'd surge and pull away and then I'd catch him again a few minutes later. This must have went on for a good half hour and finally he cracked, I squeaked by, and he disappeared behind me.

I never thought I had it in me to be riding near the top of the field for any kind of race like this but here I was....This gave me such a huge boost of confidence that I swear my back healed instantly, the pedals were turning over fast and I was flying and then I heard a CRUNCH.....I looked down and saw my rear derailleur twisted and gnarled into my spokes. F!!! I went from feeling amazing to crushed in an instant.
    Akura, was I the old gentleman? I was riding a white single speed Gary Fisher Rig and had a black jersey and small CamelBak. If so, I caught back up to you as you just got your single speed fix going. You were right behind me and I mentioned how we were both riding single speed. Just after that you had to stand going up a switch back and that's when I heard some awful chain skipping and a few choice curse words. You finished just 4 minutes behind me so you did an amazing job with the shape your ride was in.

Cheers, Rob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rramsay View Post
    Akura, was I the old gentleman? I was riding a white single speed Gary Fisher Rig and had a black jersey and small CamelBak. If so, I caught back up to you as you just got your single speed fix going. You were right behind me and I mentioned how we were both riding single speed. Just after that you had to stand going up a switch back and that's when I heard some awful chain skipping and a few choice curse words. You finished just 4 minutes behind me so you did an amazing job with the shape your ride was in.

Cheers, Rob
    Hey Rob, I definitely remember you and your white Gary Fisher but the older gentleman I mentioned was riding a geared bike.

Congrats on your finish time too...I have a new respect for the amount of leg strength and the timing of momentum it takes to ride singlespeed.

And sorry about the profanity for anyone who was around me until I got my bike and rhythm figured out! Good thing there were no children riding the 60k!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    [QUOTE=akura;8458636
    Congrats on your finish time too...I have a new respect for the amount of leg strength and the timing of momentum it takes to ride singlespeed.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks! That was my first time trying the 60 and my longest race of the year on a single speed. I don't know how guys like Zac Wheeler and Scott Bentley finish so close to the top of the 100K on single speeds. They must come from another planet!

mtbr member
    Rob I think I may have ridden behind you. I was riding a Giant Anthem. You mentioned it was good we were both riding with glasses on. I was behind you for most of the 40k (if that was you) Super strong on that single speed.

Oggie it was very nice to meet you. Great write up and described it perfectly. I think I hit the wall at least 4 times and dreamed for a moment what it must feel like to throw in the towel and DNF but I could never live that down.

I managed to suck a log into my rear wheel which bent my rear hanger a bit but was able to get it back into shape and shifting again (which was lucky as that was only 15k in) besides that I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said..... yes it hurt, yes there was sand, yes there was even more sand, yes there was a TON of climbing and yes it was amazing to finish the race for a second time.

The two greatest things for me was
    1) shaving 2 hours off my previous finish as my previous best was a horrible 9.5 hours with this year being 7.5 hours which also put me into 7th place in my category.

2) (and this part is the best) beating the Tortoise (Barry A.K.A unglued) as he called himself, as for the last few weeks he kept drilling into me Tortoise vs. Hare, and your going to go too hard and blow. Well I tell you this, I did go too hard but I did NOT blow... I win

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Results

Great event as always.
    Already looking forward to next year

here is a link to the results
    OCA Race Results - Sixteenth annual Paul`s Dirty Enduro

mtbr member
    Sad to see my result dropped to 8th in my category but still happy with my finish. Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    THANK YOU if whoever found and returned my GoPro posts or lurks on here.
    You're welcome.

EDIT: I don't know if you checked the last video file yet? I made some jokes about how I just filmed myself finding a GoPro?
    Last edited by lukey; 09-19-2011 at 10:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Congratulations Oggie! Nice work!!

mtbr member
    One of the toughest one day races I have ever done. The only tougher single days were at LaRuta - day one, and maybe day 6 of Transrockies.
    At the post-race bonfire on Saturday night, there was a bit of talk about a future possibility of *maybe* adding a second lap of the final 60km, to make another distance option: a 100-miler.

Apparently one of the racers (Zac?) already was serious enough about this idea and confirmed this with the organizers: if he came in from the 100km in less than 5 hours, he was heading back out for another 60km.

Didn't quite happen I guess, but those there are some interesting clues that this event might evolve. If the poison ivy and western forest aren't evil enough, at least there's a possibility that it can be stupidly way too far.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” TS Eliot
    Last edited by lukey; 09-19-2011 at 10:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    First time doing this race. Longest thing I've done was Lake2Lake this summer but it simply doesn't compare. I think I was 'done' at 45km, leg cramp that I caught a bit earlier didn't help either. Managed to finish 60k in about 4 h 30m. I was hoping for a bit faster time, but for a first time it's not too bad.
    Definitely doing this thing again next year.

sometime mtbr
    May 2010
    This event kicked my ass! I only did the 60k and man am I glad. I came into the ride carrying an extra 40lbs than normal and man I paid for it. I do a lot of road riding and a fair bit of MTBing and am by no means a rookie but I messed everything up. Didn't drink enough, didn't eat enough and by 10k in I had the biggest exertion headache I've ever had but I carried on and actually starting feeling good and was making pretty good time to the first rest stop and loved the trail between the first and second rest stop. I did stop at second stop and was still feeling pretty good but about 1k past I caught up with a few other riders who had fallen going up a hill and when I jumped off bike to run up said hill BAM!!! both legs cramped so hard I couldn't move, stumbled off to the side and just watched everyone go by but it was all I could do. Finally got back on bike but suffered with leg cramps every 5-10k never so bad to get me off bike but almost went down a few times. At the last stop I was so pooched I was just going to keep going down road as I didn't even see the arrows, but got turned around and off again. This is when my reserves kinda kicked in and I actually managed to do the last two big climbs but it was painfully slow, on the NEH my garmin wouldn't even register a speed. I did finally finish 5:12:00 from the start. I must say I was pretty damn disapointed and pretty much just left with no mingling at all. I was impressed with my kids results and glad they had such a great day. After all was said and done and the suffering and humiliation over I really did enjoy it especially when out in no mans land on the great single track, no one around to pressure me, no fear of slowing anyone up just single track glory! I will be back next year and will cut an hour or two off my time or just do the hundred. Thanks a lot for such a great day, it was amazing to see so many like minded people get together for a great cause!

I Strava Hamburgers
    I can't get over how some people feel they put in a disappointing ride or are humiliated by their performance.

News flash:

You were on your bike for 60KM dude. Some people weren't even awake when you started that ride. Be proud. Be sore and learned, but be proud damnit!

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by youcoming View Post
    . I will be back next year and will cut an hour or two off my time or just do the hundred!
    Yeah! that is a great goal to have, good to hear!

sock puppet

hey sweeper...

nothing wrong with people setting their own personal goals, eh?

I can't get over how some people feel they put in a disappointing ride or are humiliated by their performance.

News flash:

You were on your bike for 60KM dude. Some people weren't even awake when you started that ride. Be proud. Be sore and learned, but be proud damnit!

I Strava Hamburgers
    Nah that's not what I meant. Personal goals are great to have, but I just don't think people should beat up on themselves if they don't reach em.

I just think endurance athletes have a certain right to be proud of any accomplishments over people who choose not to push themselves. That's all.

mtbr member
    I realized in time that I was not prepared for the 60km and dropped down to the 30km. I am less fit now than I was earlier in the season.
    Quite early in my ride, I started having problems with back spasms (not uncommon for me). The atmosphere I'd had noticed at the start area, that this is more of a group ride and not a race, became more apparent as the ride went on. (See, I'm not even referring to is as race.) There were some gloriously long sections of singletrack, with long trains of riders that could only go as fast as slowest rider. Yet not once did someone ask or attempt to pass. Everyone was just having fun and riding their bikes the woods. Lots of hooting and hollering of joy. I loved this! This is why I ride my bike!
    Almost halfway through my course was another fantasticly long section of singletrack. I found myself in the middle of group of about 8 riders moving along at a nice clip. Awesome! A few climbs and some doubletrack later, I found myself completely alone. For the second half of the course, I think I saw about 10 riders in total, fewer and fewer as the ride went on. This led to some profound mind-wandering. One of the draws of this event for me, other than a chance to check out the fabled trails of Ganaraska, was to ride for my uncle, who commited suicide last June. Riding 'in his memory' never really sat well with me, because my uncle was not an upstanding kind of guy. He was a jerk and a horrible father and I've always been surprised that my cousins turned out so.....normal. That's when it hit me, I was riding for my cousins. And I decided that I will do this ride every year, for them.
    I also decided that I will be better prepared next year and have a go at that 60km course you folks keep raving about.
    So now I've gotten my first look at the trails at Ganaraska and I loved it! I'm not such a big fan of that loose sand, but the rest of it was awesome. I look forward to getting to see more of it next year.
    I love riding my bike!

Evil Jr.
    That's when it hit me, I was riding for my cousins. And I decided that I will do this ride every year, for them.
    I also decided that I will be better prepared next year and have a go at that 60km course you folks keep raving about.
    That's an awesome and noble goal.

Mrs. Monster will be looking for a riding buddy once Jr. pops (since I'll be at home playing Mr. Dad) and I think you guys would make great training partners!

namagomi
    This led to some profound mind-wandering. One of the draws of this event for me, other than a chance to check out the fabled trails of Ganaraska, was to ride for my uncle, who commited suicide last June. Riding 'in his memory' never really sat well with me, because my uncle was not an upstanding kind of guy. He was a jerk and a horrible father and I've always been surprised that my cousins turned out so.....normal. That's when it hit me, I was riding for my cousins.

I don't think anybody likes that loose sand, I think it's worse in the west forest for the 100k riders. Anyways the sand led to some scary moments at the bottom of hills. The best advice is to relax and not over-react with the steering. At least it's softer than dirt if you crash

mtbr member

Burrito

I registered for this event online, and there was an area of the form where you were supposed to put your sponsor affiliation, so I entered "Bean Burrito" because...why not? Most of my molecules come from burriti. Credit where credit is due.

Once set in motion by that entry form, there was a task that needed to be done.

So at 7AM, I made my way into the hanger with three Taco Bell burritos, each carefully baggied along with some emergency trail hot-sauce packs, which I sent ahead to feed stations 2,3 and 4. I then went back to my tent and ate two more Taco Bell burritos for breakfast. Long story short, I had an awesome 5-burrito ride. Fantastic all the way. I don't know how anyone does this event without burritos any more. Honestly one of my best metric century dirt rides of my life.

burritos!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    While I race this because of family being effected.

This year I admit I had something else on my mind as well coming into this weekend after I some news from Whistler. And that having fun in the end was more important then the result. That being stressed out about results mattered less then about the fun factor.

TeamNFI: 2011 Paul's Dirty Enduro

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    That's an awesome and noble goal.

Mrs. Monster will be looking for a riding buddy once Jr. pops (since I'll be at home playing Mr. Dad) and I think you guys would make great training partners!
    So... your title as of November will be House Husband?

mtbr member
    Oooooooooo, there's a daunting and exciting challenge! Sounds like fun! I'm game if she is.
    I love riding my bike!

mtbr member

This year I admit I had something else on my mind as well coming into this weekend after I some news from Whistler. And that having fun in the end was more important then the result. That being stressed out about results mattered less then about the fun factor.

"treat it as fun.. bomb the DH's and skid the corners."
    I hope this means something different than what I think. Skidding corners is more unacceptable than lets say....not calling a pass...

These are my local trails so I hope you can see my point, it's sandy enough in there on the doubletrack without skidding around corners and wrecking the singletrack....

Evil Jr.
    So... your title as of November will be House Husband?
    Not quite but I will be doing my bit. Riding together is out until the kid can hold his head up so we'll tag-team it until Spring.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I hope this means something different than what I think. Skidding corners is more unacceptable than lets say....not calling a pass...

These are my local trails so I hope you can see my point, it's sandy enough in there on the doubletrack without skidding around corners and wrecking the singletrack....
    Maybe if you actually asked a question instead of jumped to conclusions you might actually learn something.

sock puppet

Does that imply that one can not have fun and a good result at the same time?

Or are you just speaking for yourself?

Signature

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Does that imply that one can not have fun and a good result at the same time?

Or are you just speaking for yourself?

Fun and a good result only occurs when I arrive on site.

mtbr member
    Maybe if you actually asked a question instead of jumped to conclusions you might actually learn something.
    Sorry if I misunderstood what you said in your report but it was easy to come to that conclusion with the words skidding and drifting around corners. Coming from more of a car background, to me, both of those things mean a loss of traction be it controlled or not.

What did you mean?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

sock puppet
    Who is the kid that kicked your a$$?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Who is the kid that kicked your a$$?
    No idea. Though you gotta feel sorry for a kid racing... it's bad enough with parents on the sidelines. But having your parent a bike length behind?

Evil Jr.
    No idea. Though you gotta feel sorry for a kid racing... it's bad enough with parents on the sidelines. But having your parent a bike length behind?
    As long as the parent's not a total jerk, I don't see this as a problem for Citizen events. I'd love to do Paul's with my son!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    As long as the parent's not a total jerk, I don't see this as a problem for Citizen events. I'd love to do Paul's with my son!
    It's good when they are young. But at a certain point parents have to let their kids go ahead.

In the beginning I was always running and riding events right next to dad. But as I got older he slowly let me get a head. Once I hit 12 it was pretty much we would see each other at the start and at the finish. He was mature enough to let me race and figure it out on the course on my own.

sock puppet
    Why don't i see your rep? Anyone else?

Evil Jr.
    Why don't i see your rep? Anyone else?
    I still see yours. You're still at 13 and "will become famous soon enough."

sock puppet

I'd love to race with my son

and the only reason for letting him go or him letting me go - would be the speed - whoever is faster...

sock puppet
    I see Enduras rep at 0. Wanted to give him some good rep out of pity, but there is no hand to click on for me...

PS... I realized he is on "vacation". Moderator comment removed.

Evil Jr.
    I see Enduras rep at 0. Wanted to give him some good rep out of pity, but there is no hand to click on for me...

Hey moderator - did you stick your nose in here?
    Ooops, "locked - time out"!

sock puppet

what????

Endura is locked out?????

oh boy...

I better before I am read my rights...

sock puppet
    Ooops, "locked - time out"!
    Sorry, I am outta here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lukey View Post
    I registered for this event online, and there was an area of the form where you were supposed to put your sponsor affiliation, so I entered "Bean Burrito" because...why not? Most of my molecules come from burriti. Credit where credit is due.

Once set in motion by that entry form, there was a task that needed to be done.

So at 7AM, I made my way into the hanger with three Taco Bell burritos, each carefully baggied along with some emergency trail hot-sauce packs, which I sent ahead to feed stations 2,3 and 4. I then went back to my tent and ate two more Taco Bell burritos for breakfast. Long story short, I had an awesome 5-burrito ride. Fantastic all the way. I don't know how anyone does this event without burritos any more. Honestly one of my best metric century dirt rides of my life.

burritos!
    I remember you. I asked you about the burrito choice at one of the feed stations. You passed me on the climb afterwards and then stoped to help that women.... never saw you again after that..... thought the burrito didn't give you the power to catch back up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by misconceptionz View Post
    I remember you. I asked you about the burrito choice at one of the feed stations. You passed me on the climb afterwards and then stoped to help that women.... never saw you again after that..... thought the burrito didn't give you the power to catch back up

Yeah, those people you saw that were stopped with the mechanical were two friends of mine. We got the bike running again, and I did the last 33km with friends in the same time it took to do the first 58 on my own. We were having fun and it seemed waaay more fun to cruise back with my buddies and crack jokes and keep on feeding them motivation and electrolytes. I had a really fun day, and the only thing I took seriously was the burritos.

mtbr member
    Lukey : Have I got the sock for you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paul's Dirty Enduro-socks.jpg  

namagomi
    lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    Lukey : Have I got the sock for you
    Needs more stink lines.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Code:
    Needs more stink lines.
    Maybe but thats quite the cloud there

almost there!
    I've been doing the 60k since 2003 and I have to say it is one of the best bike rides I do every year.

namagomi