Parry Sound anyone?- Mtbr.com
    FeelIng Cranky!

Parry Sound anyone?

heading to the cottage for the long w-end. Just north of Parry Sound and Nobel off 559. Anyone know of any good mountianbike places? The net has been less than forthcoming. And other than the snowmobile trails I'm drawing a blank.

Thanks!
    Lisa

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Years ago I tried to ride in the Parry Sound area. Gave up looking for decent riding. My family has a place just south of Parry Sound. I came to the conclusion that the time spent up there was better spent in the water and on the dock hanging out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I don't know of any trails in the Parry Sound area myself, but a 60 to 90 minute drive toward Gravenhurst and Bracebridge opens up more possibilities. If you look at any of BlackCanoeDog's posts, he has links to both videos and photos of trails in that area. I have only hiked the Torrance Barrens area last summer, it was a great place. Only downside in those open ride areas is the bugs. I was warned not to go there last week while on vacation as the deer and horse flies are bad this summer. I did spend a bit of time at Buckwallow which would be a 90 minute drive from Nobel. If you have never ridden there and can make the trip, it is highly worth the drive. A few miles up highway 11 is the Bracebridge Resource Management Centre. It is not technical, has some tooth spots, and a fantastic swimming hole on the Muskoka rivet. That was a welcome relief to last weeks heat.

Steve

FeelIng Cranky!
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Years ago I tried to ride in the Parry Sound area. Gave up looking for decent riding. My family has a place just south of Parry Sound. I came to the conclusion that the time spent up there was better spent in the water and on the dock hanging out.
    Yes, but jumping in said water after a really Epic ride would be even better! I can't believe there are no good trails up there! And I really don't want to drive 60-90 minutes. Buckwallow is on my to do list on August 20th (can't wait!)

Thanks Guys!

mtbr member
    There are a couple of trails at Kilbear Park. You can do them in both directions. It is not a lot of riding, but they are ok. There is good swimming afterwards. On the way in to the park, there are a couple of spots where you can ride into the bush sort of. It is a lot of Canadian shield stuff. I went with a friend and we just rode in with a compass and got a bunch of pretty awesome riding. These are not marked trails or anything and there is a bit of bushwhacking here and there but it was worth it. I think there is a place in Parry Sound called White Squall Wilderness Shop and they sell bikes or have a bike shop. They might be worth a call.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The terrain in the area is rather swampy and boggy so it's not amazing for singletrack. There is a ton of shield, but plenty of swamp between the rock.

Muskoka
    This came up when I googled Parry Sound mtbiking...looks interesting!

http://www.parktoparktrail.com/home.html

http://www.parktoparktrail.com/cycling.html

as mentioned above, I would look for a bike shop in Parry Sound and talk to the staff. I would be surprised if there isn't any good mtbiking in that area!!
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

humber river advocate
    there is a huge network of trails around ardbeg. though mainly atv and 4x4.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    This came up when I googled Parry Sound mtbiking...looks interesting!

http://www.parktoparktrail.com/home.html

http://www.parktoparktrail.com/cycling.html

as mentioned above, I would look for a bike shop in Parry Sound and talk to the staff. I would be surprised if there isn't any good mtbiking in that area!!
    The Parry Sound to Sprucedale section of that is old rail line. Bring a dust mask as you'll be choking on dust from ATV's.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    The Parry Sound to Sprucedale section of that is old rail line. Bring a dust mask as you'll be choking on dust from ATV's.
    Thanks for that, Shirk! I am headed up to the cottage (10km south of Sprucedale) for the weekend and was debating whether to bring my road bike or my cyclocross bike. You have helped me decide to bring my cross bike and explore some of those trails out Sprucedale way...
    Strava made me do it....

FeelIng Cranky!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Thanks for that, Shirk! I am headed up to the cottage (10km south of Sprucedale) for the weekend and was debating whether to bring my road bike or my cyclocross bike. You have helped me decide to bring my cross bike and explore some of those trails out Sprucedale way...
    Yeah thanks from me too! I googled trails in parry sound many times, but never came up with that! Guess I didn't use the word Cycling! As for the Bike shop, I went to the LBS in Parry Sound and could have died in the middle of place for all the attention they paid. They weren't very nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck50 View Post
    Yeah thanks from me too! I googled trails in parry sound many times, but never came up with that! Guess I didn't use the word Cycling! As for the Bike shop, I went to the LBS in Parry Sound and could have died in the middle of place for all the attention they paid. They weren't very nice.
    This. I was looking for trails in PS a few years ago. The owner of the LBS who sells MTBs had no clue where any trails were. WT friggin' F!

FeelIng Cranky!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    This. I was looking for trails in PS a few years ago. The owner of the LBS who sells MTBs had no clue where any trails were. WT friggin' F!
    LOL! no kidding! She was downright mean to me!

Like your Sig. You a RUSH fan?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck50 View Post
    LOL! no kidding! She was downright mean to me!

Like your Sig. You a RUSH fan?
    Darn right.

FeelIng Cranky!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    Darn right.
    Amen brother!

Me too!, going to crank some vinyl at the cottage this weekend!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    There are a bunch of really fun trails on the Bruce that are open for bikers.
    mtbthebruce.com/

I went last summer and the trails were completely empty but surprisingly well maintained.