Parks Canada Mountain Biking Guidelines- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302

    Parks Canada Mountain Biking Guidelines

    http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/progs/np-pn/...dav-vag01.aspx

    You may know draw weapons and may the best fighter win.

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    640
    I know that I would not want to fight Parks Canada, after reading that I can see they have their chit together.

  3. #3
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    I don't have any problems with those guidelines. Kinda sucks (a bit) if you're a downhiller but overall, it has IMBA written all over it. Nice work Mark!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  4. #4
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,812
    Seems like a big step forward to me!

  5. #5
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    i like it. good section on technical trail features.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  6. #6
    Misfit Psycles
    Reputation: nogearshere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,772
    a resource that cross referenced the parks allowing MTB usage and perhaps a scale of difficulty would be helpful.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,831
    Woot woot bring on the high alpine epics. Parks Canada will lead the way and the provincal parks will hopefully follow.

    I hope they don't get hung up on building TTF's and focus more on the natural alpine trails.

  8. #8
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    I hope they don't get hung up on building TTF's and focus more on the natural alpine trails.
    There are so many good ones already out there (once you get up there). Yoho comes to mind almost right away!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  9. #9
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884


    XC/AM is the right choice and where most riders exist. Real DH on unmaintained/controlled courses would be sketchy and higher maintenance?

    Interesting that they'll allow trail features, but what are the Canada building codes covering such features? I really think the should play up the natural features.

  10. #10
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    :

    Interesting that they'll allow trail features, but what are the Canada building codes covering such features? I really think the should play up the natural features.

    Well we need to seperate the whole TTF issue into 2 seperate discussions. For oibvious reasons. Those 2 being,

    A. TTF's for crossing creeks, and such. Like how ladder bridging was originally started. To deal with wet ground, little creeks, and so on. The stuff that the majority who have not seen and do not understand because it is lumped into B.

    B. TTF's that are there simply for the fun of it. This is the version of ladder bridge that is in the various vids and youtube clips. Which is what the majority of people have seen who are not mountain bikers.

    If this is not kept seperate it will be like it is now in Ontario. Where even a ladder bridge which is 6 inches above the ground to allow water to run off. It is deemed evil and ripped out. The section filled with rock and gravel which drains even less.

  11. #11
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    Well we need to seperate the whole TTF issue into 2 seperate discussions. For oibvious reasons. Those 2 being,

    A. TTF's for crossing creeks, and such. Like how ladder bridging was originally started. To deal with wet ground, little creeks, and so on. The stuff that the majority who have not seen and do not understand because it is lumped into B.

    B. TTF's that are there simply for the fun of it. This is the version of ladder bridge that is in the various vids and youtube clips. Which is what the majority of people have seen who are not mountain bikers.

    If this is not kept seperate it will be like it is now in Ontario. Where even a ladder bridge which is 6 inches above the ground to allow water to run off. It is deemed evil and ripped out. The section filled with rock and gravel which drains even less.
    ttfs can be anything. rock/wood ramps for landing and take off, enhanced natural features
    such as step ups/drops/gaps, reverse grades, etc... a bridge, is well just a bridge and has standards. of course people still like/build the big a$$ features like this.

    http://www.dropmachine.com/forum/vie...33638&start=15

    there is a problem building ttf in ontario out of dimensional lumber... and that's rot/insects.
    in the end you have to treat the wood. cedar helps, but it still needs treatment. if you look at old bridges/structures (in the humber area there are quite a few), you notice that the ones that withstood the test of time have been creosoted/tarred cedar. creosote is not the best for the enviroment and almost all of those structures have been damaged by fire. the cribbing method works way better, needs less maintenance, and blends into the enviroment and can provide habitat for animals/plants...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    640

    Racist

    Did I miss something ... can we race on Parks Canada Land?
    just asking

  13. #13
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred
    Did I miss something ... can we race on Parks Canada Land?
    just asking

  14. #14
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,530
    A common reason that TTF's are considered complaint worthy by land managers is that hikers on a MTB trail come across a ladder bridge or something that is difficult or impossible to navigate on foot and has no bypass, so as often as not they end up being removed because they aren't walkable by a person on foot. In a large trail network where many trails intersect and some are developed for hikers and some for MTB use, it's almost a guarantee that a hiker can enter an MTB trail at an intersection, either knowingly or unknowingly.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  15. #15
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket
    of course people still like/build the big a$$ features like this.
    Yep, pretty safe to say this won't be showing up in downtown Banff any time soon.

    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k1lluaA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    332
    im impressed, they appear to have come a long way in a short time...
    2008 Kona Caldera

    "Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket
    of course people still like/build the big a$$ features like this.

    http://www.dropmachine.com/forum/vie...33638&start=15
    Andrew builds some amazing stuff. Great rider also.

  18. #18
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    A common reason that TTF's are considered complaint worthy by land managers is that hikers on a MTB trail come across a ladder bridge or something that is difficult or impossible to navigate on foot and has no bypass, so as often as not they end up being removed because they aren't walkable by a person on foot. In a large trail network where many trails intersect and some are developed for hikers and some for MTB use, it's almost a guarantee that a hiker can enter an MTB trail at an intersection, either knowingly or unknowingly.
    Escalator to nowhere!



    Or in our case, skinny to nowhere!

  19. #19
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Escalator to nowhere!



    Or in our case, skinny to nowhere!
    Who you calling skinny?
    https://forums.mtbr.com/trail-building-advocacy/studded-tires-during-winter-678405.html

  20. #20
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred
    I don't understand the connection between studded tires and ttfs? Explain yourself.

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    I don't understand the connection between studded tires and ttfs? Explain yourself.
    You get into alot of fights, it make me moan.
    You type smart, but then talk of a broken Phone

    Perhaps this will help.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=683295

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTPzT...F225B8C2963BF2
    Last edited by Phat Tyred; 02-18-2011 at 06:04 PM.

  22. #22
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred
    You get into alot of fights, it make me moan.
    You type smart, but then talk of a broken Phone

    Perhaps this will help.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=10212458

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTPzT...F225B8C2963BF2
    Link doesn't work.

    Further, it's not a fight or anywhere near one in that thread... though you tried to start one. In fact i think you're trying to start one here.

    So get to your point, because it's not clear to me and if there isn't one i'm just going to toss you on my ignore list - life is too short.

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Link doesn't work.

    Further, it's not a fight or anywhere near one in that thread... though you tried to start one. In fact i think you're trying to start one here.

    So get to your point, because it's not clear to me and if there isn't one i'm just going to toss you on my ignore list - life is too short.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST01b...eature=related

  24. #24
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Link doesn't work.

    Further, it's not a fight or anywhere near one in that thread... though you tried to start one. In fact i think you're trying to start one here.

    So get to your point, because it's not clear to me and if there isn't one i'm just going to toss you on my ignore list - life is too short.
    Let's do lunch!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrPxk...eature=related

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Braids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    A. TTF's for crossing creeks, and such. Like how ladder bridging was originally started. To deal with wet ground, little creeks, and so on. The stuff that the majority who have not seen and do not understand because it is lumped into B.
    You should read what you post.

    1. Technical Trail Features: are obstacles or design elements on a mountain biking trail that improve trail flow or add difficulty in order to challenge the skill of trail users. TTFs are an important part of mountain biking trails and are meant to enhance the mountain biking experience. Typically, a mountain biker has the option to ride or bypass a TTF. Works constructed solely for the purpose of enhancing trail safety or access (e.g. a bridge crossing a stream) or to ensure ecological or commemorative integrity are not considered TTFs.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.