Park trails threatened by pipeline in Saint John N.B.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Park trails threatened by pipeline in Saint John N.B.

Folks - Maritimes and Northeast Pipelines is laying a 30" inch natural gas line to supply their NE U.S. market and their preferred route is through our beautiful Rockwood Park and across some of our trails. They require a 100 m corridor for this and many trees will be cut and animal habitat destroyed. We are fighting them with all we have but need national support. Will your parkland be next? Write or call the National Energy Board to help us save our trails and parkland.

Last edited by johe; 02-15-2006 at 08:46 AM. Reason: omission

Nov 2005
    I thought that the purpose of a park was to conserve the land. Rockwood park isn't that big...one would think that the pipeline could be routed around it.
    On the other hand If it follows the existing power lines it may not be that bad, provided they kick some money into the park for re-hab.

I'll be sure to voice my opposition to the NEB.
    Thanks for the head's up.

PS. & OT: I think you need 2 single-speeds...one for you and one for your son.

Orest.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the support Orest!

We really need to protect all parks in Canada this way. Parks are not "protected" unless they are designated so by the governments.Even our our University was built on 84 acres of parkland (Tucker Park) in the late 60's of which only 30 acres of the original park is left and that remainder will be taken by the campus expansion and other " growth ". The Pipeline company said an "alternative" route to the Rockwood Park route that they would consider going around it and right through the remainder of Tucker Park. They are locked onto Rockwood Park though and only came up with alternative land routes to involve more property owners who would get enraged to take the focus off the Rockwood Park.

Ryan seems anti-ss and still is lazy with the hills with his geared bike. I'll let him ride my ss a few times to see what he thinks and if he can " mash " and maybe I'll get my steel trek 930 converted to singlespeed if he wants it. . By the way here's a trail we rode through together when you visited .. it's fairly close to the proposed pipeline corridor.

Oct 2005
    THis sucks, I ride rockwood all the time. Im gonna write them up as soon as I can

mtbr member
    We are forming an MTB " liberation " group to protect the park. email me at joegodin((at))gmaildotcom if you want to participate in some rides / activities we're planning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Man I live on Redhead rd, all Saint John officials care about is how long and they can suck the Irvings as*hole. BTW they are saying they need a 100m coridor. they only really need 20m for a pipeline. the other 80m who knows? they Did the same thing with the land the expropriated in Redhead. The road they're putting in requires 80m (DOT requirement) but they took a 120m.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Resnick
    Man I live on Redhead rd, all Saint John officials care about is how long and they can suck the Irvings as*hole. BTW they are saying they need a 100m coridor. they only really need 20m for a pipeline. the other 80m who knows? they Did the same thing with the land the expropriated in Redhead. The road they're putting in requires 80m (DOT requirement) but they took a 120m.
    The pipeline company is applying for a 100 m "corridor" and this corridor crosses 3 sections of the NB Trail as well as other well used trails. We're fighting them as hard as we can. Watch this blog for updates - https://www.friendsofrockwoodpark.blogspot.com/
    I'm a bike geek, nature freak, whatever...

Members who have read this thread: 0