Paris Ancaster registration is open today- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Paris Ancaster registration is open today

Paris to Ancaster Bike Race
    Seems to me last year the 40 and 70k were the same price. Good discount before Jan 2nd.
    Decided to stick with the 40k - found last year I just can't ride that hard for 70k, last 20k was a death march.

P2A 2015 registration is open
    We are pleased to announce that registration for the 22nd annual Paris to Ancaster is open, just (barely) in time for the holiday season. Discounted entry for the traditional P2A70km and P2A40km races is available until January 2, 2015 so new years resolutions can be implemented while saving a a little cash. Gift certificate enrties are also available in the registration site store.
    New this year is a 20km version of P2A, with a little less mud than the longer routes, but still featuring the famous final climb of Martins Rd to the finish line. Special family pricing is available for P2A20. See Paris to Ancaster Bike Race for details.
    Due to popular demand, we are also offering a Fatbike category in the P2A40 this year. Minimum tire width is 3.7 in. It's the perfect bike for the winter riding on snow and ice, in preparation for P2A.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Paris Ancaster registration is open today-p2a.jpg

All my faucets is Moen.
    Well its been 5 years so I think I'm ready to try this again. I guess that's how long it took me to recover.

mtbr member
    I'm ready to give this a shot. I think I'll go for the 40km route to get to know this.

Quick question to those of you who have done this, which of my 2 bikes would be best to use?

My first bike is a Schwinn S-30 Dual-Suspension mountain bike with 26x2.1 Kenda SB8 tires.

The other one is a Trek Multisport 7000 Dual-Sport Hybrid, currently equipped with Conti Contact tires (for city riding). If the Trek is the better choice, then I'd be wide open to tire recommendations. This bike can handle up to 700c x 35c tires.

Any input you have will be appreciated.
    Last edited by DrugStoreCowboy; 12-24-2014 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added information to the post

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Usual advice is to equip for the road riding and suffer on the off road. Most of the P2A is gravel roads and gravel rail trail. By the time the 40K hits the offroad sections they are more or less unrideable anyways - between the mud and bikes and riders in the way.
    Skinnier tires with decent tread will make up time and save effort on the road sections over mountain bike tires. Good mud clearance is important. Look for some inexpensive cross tires - Chain Reaction will have a sale or free shipping over the winter, pickup a set then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Usual advice is to equip for the road riding and suffer on the off road. Most of the P2A is gravel roads and gravel rail trail. By the time the 40K hits the offroad sections they are more or less unrideable anyways - between the mud and bikes and riders in the way.
    Skinnier tires with decent tread will make up time and save effort on the road sections over mountain bike tires. Good mud clearance is important. Look for some inexpensive cross tires - Chain Reaction will have a sale or free shipping over the winter, pickup a set then.
    Thanks very much for this.

mtbr member
    Just signed up for the 70km. (Yeah, it's xmas day, but I don't have a life.)

Hope it's not a shitshow for me like last year. LOL

(Last year's MTBR entry)

"Disaster!!!
    Didn't even start. Got there to find out the exhaust of my SUV had melted and blown out my front tire. Totalled.

I was crushed, and no open lbs in sight. I was hoping there was a makeshift bike shop like at the 24h races, but no luck. Still picked up my bib number and $100 T-shirt."

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Im contemplating the 70km. Wondering how much I feel like suffering. I will be fresh from Brevard NC so I should be in decent shape.

Ive never done it before, on a scale of 1 to 10, what kinda pain we looking at here?
    compare it to expert ocups for me. Pain wise, i know the terrain is pretty flat and un-technical

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Ive never done it before, on a scale of 1 to 10, what kinda pain we looking at here?
    compare it to expert ocups for me. Pain wise, i know the terrain is pretty flat and un-technical
    <iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KOO5S4vxi0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Im contemplating the 70km. Wondering how much I feel like suffering. I will be fresh from Brevard NC so I should be in decent shape.

It's fundamentally different racing than an MTB O-CUP, this is a dirty (dirty) road race (not just a gravel grinder). Actually P2A is pretty different from just about most other races you'll find, which is where the appeal lies for many.

Un-technical, yes, if you are comparing it to a MTB O-CUP, but there are sections of the race where being able to handle your bike can provide you an advantage. It's generally flat as well, but you may not be saying that climbing into the finish.

Pain? You can suffer at any race, that's all up to you. Are you fighting to bridge up to the next group on the section of gravel road? Or are you fighting to hold of the wheel of the person trying to break away? Or are you just sitting back, riding where it feels comfortable. Thing about P2A, with 1000+ people, there is always someone going just a little slower, just a little faster or right at your speed. Who you decide to ride with will provide the level of pain you seek.

So no, to 'finish' the 70km race, for an expert level MTB racer shouldn't be much of a challenge. To race it however, might be a different story. There is lots of road racing strategy that comes into play in P2A, so not being savvy in that regard can send an expert MTB racer down the standings, far beyond where they would expect to be. Fortunately, P2A brakes up the road sections frequently enough that it's really not even close to a true road race (unlike something like steaming nostril).

So to answer your question, it can be whatever you want to be. If you are looking to get a good early season training race in, you can do it at an 8, not problem. If you want to try to crack the top 100, you better get ready for a 10.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    One thing that takes a while to realize is that for a lot of people it isn't even a race, just a big ride.
    Something that catches me by surprise every time is that most of the people in the race have no clue about riding in a race/group. I kill myself catching someone, let the heart rate get back down, pickup a few people along the way even. Then get out front, tell everyone that we will catch that group in front and then put in a big effort and catch them. Turn around to look and there is no one behind me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I think I need to give it a go. I have this cross bike that is always way to clean. Its a heavy pig but I want to try cross next year.

Why is suffering so much fun?

Lemmy Rules!
    I'm in. Wave 1. Am contemplating doing it on my MTB as a preparation race for Leadville but if I am in as good shape as I hope to be, it will be tempting to use the CX and go for a personal best result. Last year's result was disappointing and I need to turn that around.

And Machine, count on going hard for about 2.5 hours, with the toughest terrain in the past 10k.

And DrugstoreCowboy, throw some cyclocross tires on the Trek and give'er. The only downside to that setup is that if the hybrid does not have disc brakes, it is likely to pack up with mud going down the two mudslides at the end. Your best option (and many take this) is to shoulder the bike and run. That could save you a couple of minutes sorting your bike out at the end of the mudslide....

One last thing: Who in their right mind would want to do P2A on a fatbike?????
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Unglued, Im pretty sure this is your fault, You called me out after I picked up my cross bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    <iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KOO5S4vxi0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Ive never seen spinal tap, I think its about time. MY ability to get british humour is way better in my old age.

Now im on the hunt for tires. I guess its better to suffer through the mud and have a better performing tire on the road/gravel?

mtbr member

Now im on the hunt for tires. I guess its better to suffer through the mud and have a better performing tire on the road/gravel?
    Yes, that's my opinion. Lots of top level guys run file tread tires for P2A and I personally think that's the way to go. Often the 'off-road' can be pretty 'crazy', from mud fests to soft farmers fields that tires don't make much of the difference.

And BTW, I'm back this year. Unfortunately DNS after getting the flu after picking up my race package last year. Got granted an elite wave start based on previous top 100 results.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    And BTW, I'm back this year. Unfortunately DNS after getting the flu after picking up my race package last year. Got granted an elite wave start based on previous top 100 results.
    Hmm. Did you email them?
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Hmm. Did you email them?
    Yep, just emailed them. Ran down my circumstance and previous results and asked politely.
    Straight outta Rossland

Lemmy Rules!
    Unglued, Im pretty sure this is your fault, You called me out after I picked up my cross bike.
    You're welcome
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p2a.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	949464
    It's not a thread till the smack talk starts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I'm in. Wave 1. Am contemplating doing it on my MTB as a preparation race for Leadville but if I am in as good shape as I hope to be, it will be tempting to use the CX and go for a personal best result. Last year's result was disappointing and I need to turn that around.

And Machine, count on going hard for about 2.5 hours, with the toughest terrain in the past 10k.

And DrugstoreCowboy, throw some cyclocross tires on the Trek and give'er. The only downside to that setup is that if the hybrid does not have disc brakes, it is likely to pack up with mud going down the two mudslides at the end. Your best option (and many take this) is to shoulder the bike and run. That could save you a couple of minutes sorting your bike out at the end of the mudslide....

One last thing: Who in their right mind would want to do P2A on a fatbike?????
    Thanks for this, Unglued. The Trek doesn't have disk brakes, so carrying it through the mudslides makes good sense. It also helps that my Trek is very light, so carrying it is not an issue for me.

As for the fatbike thing, I couldn't begin to imagine...

mtbr member
    Hey Unglued, I'll lend you my carbon Beargrease if you are willing to race it! You'll probably win the fat bike category.
    Burnt Norton

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DrugStoreCowboy View Post
    Thanks for this, Unglued. The Trek doesn't have disk brakes, so carrying it through the mudslides makes good sense. It also helps that my Trek is very light, so carrying it is not an issue for me.

As Unglued suggests you can mount CX tires on your Hybrid. Norco did it with one version of the VPX I think it was line. Just need to be careful with your tire size selection as depending on how wide your chainstays are. It may cause issues with tire size. To big and the tire will rub as the wheel and frame flexes from pedalling.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Well since I already put it up in the goals thread. Doing the Almonte version in my back yard April 12th.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    As Unglued suggests you can mount CX tires on your Hybrid. Norco did it with one version of the VPX I think it was line. Just need to be careful with your tire size selection as depending on how wide your chainstays are. It may cause issues with tire size. To big and the tire will rub as the wheel and frame flexes from pedalling.
    My Trek can comfortably handle a 700x35c tire, so I am considering the Kenda SB8 in that size or the Continental CycloXKing of the same size. I'm currently running the Continental Contact city tires at 700x32c, which are decidedly unsuitable for this run. Any other recommendations for tires? Again, 700x35c is the widest tire I can run without concerns with tire rub and other related concerns.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    My Trek can comfortably handle a 700x35c tire, so I am considering the Kenda SB8 in that size or the Continental CycloXKing of the same size. I'm currently running the Continental Contact city tires at 700x32c, which are decidedly unsuitable for this run. Any other recommendations for tires? Again, 700x35c is the widest tire I can run without concerns with tire rub and other related concerns.
    MEC has the Clement tires. But best to go into the store as theyhave others in store they don't list online.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm no expert but anything with fine knobs like that will fill with mud and not be great on the road.
    I run these - they are cheap and good enough for occasional use:
    Schwalbe CX Comp Cyclocross Bike Tyre | Chain Reaction Cycles

Watch over the winter and ChainReaction will have free shipping or at least a discount coupon.

This is even a folding tire and I see a pretty good review.
    Kenda Kommando 700 x 32mm Cross Tire Black Folding
    or
    Ritchey SpeedMa x Cross Comp 700 x 35 Black/Black Steel Tire

Niagara Cycle will ship with the post office or sometimes I'll get the girls to stop in on one of their shopping trips and pick up an order for me.

mtbr member
    I'm no expert but anything with fine knobs like that will fill with mud and not be great on the road.

Watch over the winter and ChainReaction will have free shipping or at least a discount coupon.

or

Niagara Cycle will ship with the post office or sometimes I'll get the girls to stop in on one of their shopping trips and pick up an order for me.
    Thanks very much for these recommendations, Slash5. The prices look very good.

Lemmy Rules!
    I've used Schwalbe CX comps and Hutchinson Bulldogs both of which worked well. Re Enduramil's recommendation for Clement X'Plores (I am pretty sure that is the one he is talking about) a friend of mine used them last year-they worked well on the road and gravel but gave 0 traction in the mud. IMHO the CX Pros are the best of both worlds and are reasonably priced if you are using them for just one race.

This year I will likely be rolling on Challenge Fango Tubulars
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I've used Schwalbe CX comps and Hutchinson Bulldogs both of which worked well. Re Enduramil's recommendation for Clement X'Plores (I am pretty sure that is the one he is talking about) a friend of mine used them last year-they worked well on the road and gravel but gave 0 traction in the mud. IMHO the CX Pros are the best of both worlds and are reasonably priced if you are using them for just one race.

MEC has the Crusades which look more dirt friendly. Tread pattern kind of looks like a Conti tire I had in 2005. ANd those where fine in the mud and such.
    Clement Crusade PDX 700 x 33 Folding Tire - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

The Xplore USH and MSO look like they would be more a dry weather or more likely a gravel grinder type tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Wave 4 70km for me, first bike race. Looking forward to it.

mtbr member

or

I wound up picking up these tires for my bike: Schwalbe Land Cruiser review - BikeRadar

They are the Schwalbe Land Cruiser tires in 700x35c. I paid $25.00 each at my LBS and 2 of the staff there as it turns out are regular riders on this event. They told me for the price these tires will do the trick nicely and I'll have no issues running them on my Trek. Thanks again for your recommendations, Slash5. They pointed me in the right direction...
    Last edited by DrugStoreCowboy; 01-02-2015 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Forgot to add some relevent information for this post

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Re Enduramil's recommendation for Clement X'Plores (I am pretty sure that is the one he is talking about) a friend of mine used them last year-they worked well on the road and gravel but gave 0 traction in the mud. IMHO the CX Pros are the best of both worlds and are reasonably priced if you are using them for just one race.
    Forgot to add. Certain types of mud no matter what type of tire you use you will have issues. Any clay based mud no matter what it will clag up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Always in for this race!
    www.abikeslife.com ontario bike stuff!

WolfPak Racing! :thumbsup:
    https://www.facebook.com/wolfpakracingcanada

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Signed up for the 70km wave 3 last week. Last year was the first for me. My goal was to finish. I enjoyed the first 60% of it, and spent the last 40% thinking "this is not fun, I'm not doing it again, but I'm sure I'll feel a sense of accomplishment when I'm done". I was so spent at the end I thought I was going to have some sort of medical problem during the rewards dinner. The next day I was thinking "I wonder how much better I can do next year" LOL
    2015 Brodie Romax
    2011 Giant Trance X3 "Andre"
    2013 Rocky Mountain SoloCX "Han"

I Strava Hamburgers
    There's something about P2A that makes people come back. I don't know what it is, but every year I echo the same comments.

mtbr member
    To recycle my lame joke from 2010, his username is "unglued".. and he will be riding tubulars this year....

I'd like to thank CptSydor for unintentionally giving me a kick in the ass with his posting of his comeback plan.... I will now be attempting same.

I shouldn't be hard to spot, with the size of the monkey on my back.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Well, my original plans have now changed. The key difference is that my gung-ho 8-year old son will be joining me in the 40k race. That'll make us an unofficial father-son team. I enjoy riding with him, and I did show him some of the YouTube videos of this event, and he's more than ready to go! We did the Tour de Norfolk 40k circuit in 2 hrs and 20 minutes with him setting the pace for 90% of the ride. I'm confident that he'll handle this very well. I just have to score him a more suitable bike for this...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I just have to score him a more suitable bike for this...
    Hmm...height wise that might be a bit challenging as don't know if they make much in CX type bikes in that size. Though there might be another option to look at. If you want to spend the money and his MTB has discs. And is using 26 inch wheels there might be a the possibility to fit 650b wheels on it. But that will depend on the frame clearance. And what is available for narrow tires in the 27.5.

mtbr member
    Hmm...height wise that might be a bit challenging as don't know if they make much in CX type bikes in that size. Though there might be another option to look at. If you want to spend the money and his MTB has discs. And is using 26 inch wheels there might be a the possibility to fit 650b wheels on it. But that will depend on the frame clearance. And what is available for narrow tires in the 27.5.
    I'd love that but he isn't very tall. I also need to keep in mind that he prefers to do more road work than Mountain biking, so, based on that, here are the 2 "leading" bikes I have in mind for him:

2010 Gary Fisher PreCaliber 24 - New and Used Bike Value

Diamondback Bicycles - Insight 24

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I'd love that but he isn't very tall. Here are the 2 "leading" bikes I have in mind for him:

2010 Gary Fisher PreCaliber 24 - New and Used Bike Value

Diamondback Bicycles - Insight 24

Of those two go with the Fisher. It is more of a MTB and if he is going to ride else where with you off road in the long term he will have more fun. He as you said is riding with you already most kids that age will want a bike more like daddies as my daughter observed.

Though take a bit of time to browse through Pinkbike to see what is in there before buying. I have seen the Kona Stuff 25 wheeled frame in there.

Tire wise...ask to check the book at your local shop. There might be some 24 inch BMX Cruiser tires that can fit on those rims with the right knobbie pattern but are skinnier.

mtbr member
    Of those two go with the Fisher. It is more of a MTB and if he is going to ride else where with you off road in the long term he will have more fun. He as you said is riding with you already most kids that age will want a bike more like daddies as my daughter observed.

Though take a bit of time to browse through Pinkbike to see what is in there before buying. I have seen the Kona Stuff 25 wheeled frame in there.

Tire wise...ask to check the book at your local shop. There might be some 24 inch BMX Cruiser tires that can fit on those rims with the right knobbie pattern but are skinnier.
    I'm going to take a look at the Fisher this weekend to see what it's like with my little guy. If that bike checks out, then I'll go address the tire issue next. Most bikes like this usually weigh far too much, but this looks like it could be better, seeing the frame is Alloy 6061, same as my Trek. Let's see what happens. I'll post back here once we've looked at the Fisher.

mtbr member
    I'm going to take a look at the Fisher this weekend to see what it's like with my little guy. If that bike checks out, then I'll go address the tire issue next. Most bikes like this usually weigh far too much, but this looks like it could be better, seeing the frame is Alloy 6061, same as my Trek. Let's see what happens. I'll post back here once we've looked at the Fisher.

I purchased the Gary Fisher. It is indeed very light and was in excellent condition, so this definitely will work.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    In regards to the tire argument. Just read a review in Grit CX and they liked the Clement PDX in the mud. And keep in mind this is from the land of filth and crappy conditions so if they like it it will be okay.

mtbr Decade+
    Curious as to how everyone's training is going? This winter has taken a toll on me!
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Curious as to how everyone's training is going? This winter has taken a toll on me!
    Think my training at being sick is going better.

mtbr member
    Training's going well actually. Been doing a Sufferfest training plan.
    The only thing I'm worried about is if there'll be snow on the trails come race day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Not too bad, been doing weights and core exercises since new year. Rode twice a week until the snow got too deep, then X-country skied twice a week. Started riding the trainer last week.
    Looks like we are finally going to get some temps around freezing starting on the weekend so will start riding on the Beach Strip 2 or 3 times a week. But the weight is really up there and not doing well at getting it off.

mtbr member
    My training is going better than last year - I was in an arm cast this time last year. That being said I need some longer outdoor rides under my belt before P2A, an hour at a time on the trainer doesn't seem like it will cut it.

mtbr member
    Not too bad, been doing weights and core exercises since new year. Rode twice a week until the snow got too deep, then X-country skied twice a week. Started riding the trainer last week.
    Looks like we are finally going to get some temps around freezing starting on the weekend so will start riding on the Beach Strip 2 or 3 times a week. But the weight is really up there and not doing well at getting it off.
    Having trouble with the weight too. Why oh why did they have to build an A&W in Bolton?

I Strava Hamburgers
    Been lifting.

..forks to my face.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    Training's going well actually. Been doing a Sufferfest training plan.
    The only thing I'm worried about is if there'll be snow on the trails come race day.
    Be careful of doing exclusively sufferfests to train. They are all pretty high-intensity and you could peak too early if you do nothing but all winter. I'd try and build in a couple of "Netflix" rides and 1-2 sufferfests a week so you are not overdoing it
    Strava made me do it....

Lemmy Rules!
    Been lifting.

..forks to my face.
    BS. Everyone be warned...14Stone done gone got himself a coach...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr Decade+
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    Having trouble with the weight too. Why oh why did they have to build an A&W in Bolton?
    I use the coupons for two Teen combos for $10.99 and eat it all!!! Come on P2A.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Lemmy Rules!
    Seriously, it's been a tough winter for training. I had a regular Saturday morning gravel ride going with some friends (including Jouko and MTBMeister) until it got really stupid cold out but since then I have been in my pain cave and on the track at the new velodrome. I'm gunning for a personal best this year but there's still a lot of work to be done.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    BS. Everyone be warned...14Stone done gone got himself a coach...
    So you're telling me I haven't been stuffing my face to my greatest potential all these years doing it on my own?

My winter has been OK. I sold my trainer in the late fall, no regrets, so there has been no indoor riding, except a 2-3 spin classes at work, but after a couple I said forget it. I was riding fairly regularly into the start of January (3-4x per week), but since then its primarily been skiing, snowshoeing and running, though I'm still getting in at least 1 ride per week and I tell myself my daily 5km round trip by bike does wonders.

Really been waiting on the time change this weekend to allow me to get out more reasonably after work for road/CX rides. If the weather starts cooperating, I should commence logging some more serious saddle time this weekend. I just need it close to 0. I'm hoping that staying relatively active and the higher miles the past few years should allow me to jump into solid program to prepare me for P2A.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sandbaggers all!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ive managed 4 hours on a trainer.....but I have been extreme snow shoeing!!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I am impressed that Capt Sydor has been able to stay so illness free in the petri dish of illness that is a university. Especially under this years temps that has so many inside more than normal.

mtbr member
    Be careful of doing exclusively sufferfests to train. They are all pretty high-intensity and you could peak too early if you do nothing but all winter. I'd try and build in a couple of "Netflix" rides and 1-2 sufferfests a week so you are not overdoing it
    I hear ya. Sufferfest has training plans put together by Dig Deep Coaching. It's mostly 4 days a week with 2 days with a video, and 2 days of zone 2 endurance rides. So it's not so bad.

I Strava Hamburgers
    So you're telling me I haven't been stuffing my face to my greatest potential all these years doing it on my own?
    It takes a big man to know when to put the fork down.
    It takes a bigger man to take the smaller mans plate and continue eating.

mtbr member
    Temp is going up. Might get a few road rides this week.

mtbr member
    It has been tough to keep something resembling a riding program going for me. I finally got some riding in yesterday and will keep going whenever I can.

This was also the first real run my little guy had on his newly-aquired Gary Fisher Precal 24 and I'm pleased to say that he did really well on it! He took to that bike like fish do to water!

mtbr member
    So who got in some riding this weekend?

I managed a couple hundred km on the CX bike (on the road) over the past week.

Hoping to start throwing in some more gravel/off-road to my CX rides, but doesn't look like mother nature is going to cooperate in removing the snow. Not looking impressively warm for the next week.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Closest I got to riding was a trip to Guelph to BackPeddling and then spent the afternoon in the Woolwich and Baker St..
    I would consider moving to Guelph just for those 2 pubs.
    BackPeddling is very cool and worth a trip but sure is expensive.

I think I should give up on loosing 15 lbs and gain 15 and ride as a clyde. Gaining 15 would be a lot more fun than loosing it.

mtbr member
    I'm not racing this, but did about 110 km of road riding on the weekend. Saturday was wet, and yesterday was windy, but it's better than not riding. I am itching to get back to trails though. The fat bike kept me on the trails all winter despite the cold. 2 road rides during the week and 2 on the weekend so far, and I am not getting the bug for it like previous years. Maybe when it gets a little nicer out.
    Burnt Norton

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Hoping to start throwing in some more gravel/off-road to my CX rides, but doesn't look like mother nature is going to cooperate in removing the snow. Not looking impressively warm for the next week.
    After the last 2 months minus 7 is knee warmers weather.

mtbr member
    I really am happy to see the thaw and the sunshine.
    Got out to Sydenham on Saturday and sunday, but I don't think I will be racing P2A, the first time I missed in 15 years. Still there is a lot of good riding coming soon. I got a new bike, so hope the trails dry soon.

mtbr member
    What did you get? I bought a carbon Beargrease last year so I'll have to live vicariously through others' new purchases for a little bit.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    I got in a little over 60km of windy, mostly gravel roads yesterday. Felt like pretty good P2A training and even included a long climb at the end. I'm still on my geared winter bike though, I need to get some single speed rides in to get used to grinding up the hills since I'll be racing single speed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Was just looking at the long term forecast. Pretty crappy.
    Shows 3-4 through to the beginning of April.

Looking further ahead to the end of next week and the official start of spring, however, there are numerous indications that a significant weather pattern change will occur.
    This will likely lead to a jet stream pattern similar to what we saw during February, and it looks like this will persist through early April.
    If this pattern does take hold, however, late March and April will feel and look more like late winter from the parts of the Prairies to the Maritimes.

mtbr member

Looking further ahead to the end of next week and the official start of spring, however, there are numerous indications that a significant weather pattern change will occur.
    This will likely lead to a jet stream pattern similar to what we saw during February, and it looks like this will persist through early April.
    If this pattern does take hold, however, late March and April will feel and look more like late winter from the parts of the Prairies to the Maritimes.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    What did you get? I bought a carbon Beargrease last year so I'll have to live vicariously through others' new purchases for a little bit.
    I hate to admit this but I drove into my daughter's carport, with my Giant XTC carbon on the roof, and pretty much smushed it. Picked up a new (to me) Giant XTC advanced SL frame on ebay , (26er,) mostly because the Magura fork on the older frame is really nice so I built up the new one with that and mostly XO drive train, 2 x 9, Magura brakes and Stans Podium wheels. I will post a few pictures of the old frame when I fell worthy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    I hate to admit this but I drove into my daughter's carport, with my Giant XTC carbon on the roof, and pretty much smushed it. Picked up a new (to me) Giant XTC advanced SL frame on ebay , (26er,) mostly because the Magura fork on the older frame is really nice so I built up the new one with that and mostly XO drive train, 2 x 9, Magura brakes and Stans Podium wheels. I will post a few pictures of the old frame when I fell worthy.
    That is awful. This is the second story I have heard like this. My winter riding friend is primarily a roadie, and one of the guys in his group drove into the garage with the bike on the roof rack. I thought that was a bit of an urban myth, but I guess it happens. I'll be sticking to my hitch rack.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    That is awful. This is the second story I have heard like this. My winter riding friend is primarily a roadie, and one of the guys in his group drove into the garage with the bike on the roof rack. I thought that was a bit of an urban myth, but I guess it happens. I'll be sticking to my hitch rack.
    This was the only frame I bought brand new and although Giant would warranty the frame, it meant I would get a 40% discount on a new one but it wasn't worth it. Will post some pics of the damage.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Paris Ancaster registration is open today-1625757_10203194908462910_649841809_n_zps87daa949.jpg

mtbr member
    Double post. Sorry.
    Last edited by Thatshowiroll; 03-26-2015 at 05:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Broke my clavicle whilst showing off my mad skiing skills, so i'm selling my P2A entry.

What you get:
    -P2A 70km - Wave 3 entry
    -2015 P2A T-Shirt
    -Pre-Race Bus and Bike Transportation

Asking $80 all-in, no tax etc...
    (At the moment the cost for a single rider entry only, is $82.)

Don't know why their "entry transfer" is worth $20, but I still have to pay CCN for that service.

PM me if interested. Thanks.

mtbr member
    So who's ready (besides thatshowiroll )?

Been managing some great CX rides and good hours over the past few weeks.

Did some hill repeats on Martin Road yesterday. It was pretty soft on the lower part, top part didn't get any less steep

Had a big P2A prep-ride today with a group of 12 or so. 90 km and lots of climbing all through the rail trails, access roads, etc of hamilton. Did Martin towards the end. Firmed up substantially on the lower part over the last 30 hours or so. Still as steep.

Gonna try to do the last 20km or so next weekend.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    I'm as ready as I'm gonna be and feel pretty well prepared.

I've managed to get in some quality gravel road rides and more recently rail trail rides, all with some climbing. Maybe I'll even make it up Martin Rd without dismounting this year?

Uxbridge Icebreaker next weekend, but only the 15km option to preserve my legs as much as possible for P2A.

mtbr member
    So, I'm thinking about using my Panracer Pasela's in 32cc, since they are already mounted on my good wheel set.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, what is everyone else using? We need more tire talk.

Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Ran this, Bontrager CX-0, last year and it worked pretty well, so I'll try again this year. Running it with tubes on my single speed MTB.

mtbr member
    Schwalbe Land Cruiser (700x35c) on my Trek Hybrid. These worked really well when I did the Steaming Nostril / Running Nose event in St. Jacobs in March.

The link: Land Cruiser - Schwalbe Professional Bike TiresParis Ancaster registration is open today-1431.jpg

Lemmy Rules!
    Last year I ran tubulars-Challenge Fango's. They worked fine but weren't a huge advantage over clinchers as this race is best run with a higher tire pressure. And given my proclivity for flatting at this race (see my 2011 race report for all the hilarious details)this may be courting disaster. So I am going with my tried and tested p2a setup of Schwalbe CX pros on Ultegra Road Tubeless wheels. It'll at least work well on the pavement
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member

Tubes. Not Even Once.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Paris Ancaster registration is open today-index.jpg

mtbr member
    The Rock and Road Race Team have been doing weekly P2A prep rides, which have been CX rides transitioning from road in early march to mixed surface as the conditions have become suitable.

We did a final ride yesterday, focusing on the last 13 or so km of the course. Other than something like 6 flats, it was a great chance to have a mellow ride and talk about tires.

As a side note. Martin road was dry and firm then entire way up. Today is gonna change that however . We'll see what the rest of the week brings. Both mudchutes still have wheel sucking mud holes and apparently lots of thorns as well.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Reminder to self - pickup a fresh patch kit this week and make sure there are a couple of tubes in the backpack.

mtbr member
    Reminder to self - pickup a fresh patch kit this week and make sure there are a couple of tubes in the backpack.
    Good idea, I best do that as well. I've already got the patch kits, but need to go get a couple of spare tubes.

mtbr member
    Good idea, I best do that as well. I've already got the patch kits, but need to go get a couple of spare tubes.
    Good advice. Here's my boneheaded mistake from last year:

(From the 2013 thread)
    "Disaster!!!
    Didn't even start. Got there to find out the exhaust of my SUV had melted and blown out my front tire. Totalled.

I was crushed, and no open lbs in sight. I was hoping there was a makeshift bike shop like at the 24h races, but no luck. Still picked up my bib number and $100 T-shirt."

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    So for those of us that this is their first bike race ever:

We just grab our race packet at the Community center in Ancaster (Sunday morning looks to be OK), get driven over (w/ bike) to where exactly in Paris? (I didn't take the bus as I have someone who can take me)

Get changed, line up, and follow where everyone else is going?

No safety briefing or further instructions required?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    My first time also. Looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by P90Puma View Post
    So for those of us that this is their first bike race ever:

We just grab our race packet at the Community center in Ancaster (Sunday morning looks to be OK), get driven over (w/ bike) to where exactly in Paris? (I didn't take the bus as I have someone who can take me)

Get changed, line up, and follow where everyone else is going?

No safety briefing or further instructions required?

Thanks.
    Pick up your race stuff at the finish line, then get driven to the start. I'd plan it so you arrive with enough time before the race to warm up (20 min) and line up 10 minutes in advance. Seeing as this is your first race, you likely don't need to line up earlier to secure a front position.

I'd be ready to ride/race once you reach the start. Best place to get dropped is Governors Road and 55/2 intersection. The start is about 1km north of this intersection on 55. The road will most likely be blocked to traffic and/or really back upped. It will be quite obvious you are near the start to the race and where to go. There really aren't any facilities at the start line to get changed and again, you are unlikely to get the car within 1km of it anyway. So just hop out of the car, ride to the start, there are some okay roads past the start to warm-up on, then roll into your appropriate start coral. There is a Tim Hortons at this intersection where many people will be doing the same thing (including myself)

I usually bring a light weight wind breaker to wear while warming up if the weather is a little chilly or wet, then toss it in my back jersey pocket for the race. Nice to have in case you are stopped with a mechanical anyway. I might bring an extra bit of water/drink in a plastic bottle and toss it before the race in a garbage if I need to have extra water while warming up.

As for directions during the race, just follow everyone else. You won't get lost and it will be obviously marked or more often, police/marshals at any turn/intersection.

Don't forget supplies to change a flat, or two, lots of water (1.5 liters) and food (1000 calories)
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Pick up your race stuff at the finish line, then get driven to the start. I'd plan it so you arrive with enough time before the race to warm up (20 min) and line up 10 minutes in advance. Seeing as this is your first race, you likely don't need to line up earlier to secure a front position.

I'd be ready to ride/race once you reach the start. Best place to get dropped is Governors Road and 55/2 intersection. The start is about 1km north of this intersection on 55. The road will most likely be blocked to traffic and/or really back upped. It will be quite obvious you are near the start to the race and where to go. There really aren't any facilities at the start line to get changed and again, you are unlikely to get the car within 1km of it anyway. So just hop out of the car, ride to the start, there are some okay roads past the start to warm-up on, then roll into your appropriate start coral. There is a Tim Hortons at this intersection where many people will be doing the same thing (including myself)

I usually bring a light weight wind breaker to wear while warming up if the weather is a little chilly or wet, then toss it in my back jersey pocket for the race. Nice to have in case you are stopped with a mechanical anyway. I might bring an extra bit of water/drink in a plastic bottle and toss it before the race in a garbage if I need to have extra water while warming up.

As for directions during the race, just follow everyone else. You won't get lost and it will be obviously marked or more often, police/marshals at any turn/intersection.

Don't forget supplies to change a flat, or two, lots of water (1.5 liters) and food (1000 calories)
    This is awesome, thank you very much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anyone have a good feel for how wet the course is likely to be this weekend (aside from the mud chutes of doom)?

I'm digging through my 'cross tires and trying to decide which ones to throw on... In order from fast to slow (and less to more grip), I have old Conti Speed Kings (low fast knobbies, sorta like their new Cyclocross Race tire), Mud 2s, or Rocket Rons. Probably any of them will do, given my current lack of fitness, but I gotta obsess over something leading up to race day.

Lemmy Rules!
    My advice: you can make up the most time on the road and railtrails, so run tires suitable for that.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    My advice: you can make up the most time on the road and railtrails, so run tires suitable for that.
    Agreed with Unglued. I think the Speed Kings would perfect (my opinion is that file treads are ideal for this race). While the off-road sections are memorable, they comprise a minority of the race and half of them, tire tread doesn't come close to making a difference.

As for conditions, as of Sunday, the area was pretty dry as we were getting some nice sunny/windy/warm temperatures. This week with the rain and colder temps will change that a bit, but I think conditions will be good enough that anything generally resembling a path/trail will be okay.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks Unglued and CptSydor, that's what I thought. Time to move the Speed Kings to the geared bike (I don't think I'm up to a 3+ hour singlespeed sufferfest at the moment).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikingnerd View Post
    Thanks Unglued and CptSydor, that's what I thought. Time to move the Speed Kings to the geared bike (I don't think I'm up to a 3+ hour singlespeed sufferfest at the moment).
    I've found that P2A is fairly single speed friendly. The majority of the race is on consistent and flat surface, which if you're geared correctly is no more work than on a geared bike. It's the few short muddy sections and Martin Road that are more challenging. Martin Road in particular is a section you need to be willing to hop off and walk, but lots of geared riders do that too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    I've found that P2A is fairly single speed friendly. The majority of the race is on consistent and flat surface, which if you're geared correctly is no more work than on a geared bike. It's the few short muddy sections and Martin Road that are more challenging. Martin Road in particular is a section you need to be willing to hop off and walk, but lots of geared riders do that too.
    My current gearing is a little on the low side for a long flattish distance (a more cyclocross-friendly 42:18). If I still have a 16T freewheel in the basement, I might consider SSing it on Sunday. Otherwise I will spend at least two hours spinning like a crazed hamster!

mtbr member

good luck to all P2Aers on sunday,

I am missing this year after riding it 14 of the last 15 years, but it looks like the weather is going to be sunny and dry, so the mud slides will probably only be 2 feet deep and you will hardly notice them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I Strava Hamburgers
    Reported for using my likeness without permission!

Edit: Loses a lot of meaning when your all caps post gets filtered.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=14Stone;11924051]Reported for using my likeness without permission!

but your avatar is so much nicer

I Strava Hamburgers
    True story!

mtbr member
    Name:  61587548.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  114.0 KB

That means a head wind for much of the way and temperatures that 'feel' much colder.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Dry to keep the speed up in the woods and headwinds to keep the speeds down on the roads. Good year for single speeds?

No. Just No.
    OK folks, cough it up here with some reports from the trenches. The good, the bad, the ugly, and the downright despicable. Everything from the thrill of victory to the agony of defeat.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    OK folks, cough it up here with some reports from the trenches. The good, the bad, the ugly, and the downright despicable. Everything from the thrill of victory to the agony of defeat.
    14 Stone after many years of effort finally podiumed in his cat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Never seen it this dry. Mineral Springs mud chute wasn't - just dirt. Farm fields were all rideable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    I love P2A. Probably my favorite race, partially being in my back yard, partially that I love doing silly rides on my CX bike.

After getting the flu last year the night before the race, I was side lined for the race. This year the bad luck continued, though I must say all previous years to this I've had great luck in this race that is notorious for flats and broken derailleurs.

Here's my sob story.

Friday evening: Decided to have some sushi. Friday night, awake...I won't go into details. By Saturday morning I was feeling okay and able to eat, stomach wasn't feeling great, but I could eat, so I hoped it wouldn't affect me too much.

Sunday morning: Everything seems okay. Weather was beautiful, got to the line, okay warm up, okay placement in the starting pen. Hoping I can rock this out.

Race starts, holding good position on the opening rail trail, probably right around where I hoped to finish. Right hander comes, the long climb out, I'm riding with Jeremy Powers, how cool is that (and no I wasn't that far up, he was that far back). Got out onto the roads, passed one of the top Norco riders who was fixing something. He came storming back, held his wheel for a while, it was after this effort that I knew I wasn't quite recovered from Friday. I did my best to put in efforts/hold wheels, but I was just missing that punch.

About 1/3 of the way through the race, something was off on my pedal, looked down to see it coming off the spindle. This is very ironic, I ride Time. I've questioned people who ride eggbeaters as to why they would choose a pedal that is notorious for failing.....karma caught up with me. I stopped to see what I could do to fix my pedal. Pulled off the end cap, bearings came tumbling out. That not good. Put the end cap back on and hoped I could make it. Spent the rest of the ride constantly sliding the pedal body back onto the spindle and trying to hold it there.

About 1/2 through the race, we passed a police car and a rider down. Looked back to see it was a good friend. Immediately turned around. There was a police officer there, ambulance was on the way, he didn't look so good. Stayed a while, but not much I could do it was just a waiting game for the ambulance. Took my phone out, contacted his family, gave them basic information, then proceeded on.

From that point on it just wasn't a race anymore. Rode it out at a comfortable pace. Endo'd in the second mud chute, walked 1/2 of it. First time I haven't ridden all of them. Rode all of Martin, I take pride in that.

So I definitely didn't earn my 'elite' wave upgrade this year. Not sure if I'll be back next year, life is switching things up, but hoping I can be.
    Straight outta Rossland

I Strava Hamburgers
    Not so much a race report... report:

I bought a Norco Jubei 5 years ago after waking up one night with chest pains. I realized how far I had fallen from my years before where I played rugby and any other contact sport.

My first ride, I made it to the end of my street, and I thought... holy s#!t, what am I doing. The next day, I did 5k. Eventually 20km rides were the norm. Then one day I just went out and went till I was exhausted, and came home, thinking "who does this".

I joined a 24h team for HAN after 3 months of riding a bike. On my pre ride, I kept saying to myself "Man you are way out of your league". Every lap that I left on, I felt heavier and heavier. My legs just that much harder to turn over. During my 4th lap, I came across a rider who had blown a pedal. Since I had no clue what to bring with me each lap.. I brought 2 of them. I handed them off. "Thanks Clyde", and I was on my way. ... Clyde?

After the race when I finished my 4th lap I found a quiet place while eating my 3rd McChico, I let the absolution of accomplishment wash over me. It was a rush of emotions.

During the winter, I read up on a few races and bought myself a trainer and did what I could. During this time a friend of mine told me about a buddy who did this race called Paris To Ancaster, and it had a class for big guys... I signed up within an hour.

And I got schooled... it was the hardest thing I've ever done. It was painful, unforgiving. I was bleeding, muddy and in shock. But I finished that sum*****, and the feeling of accomplishment returned, and I was hooked on racing. In the rain, you couldn't see the tears, but I was a proud man, and I resolved myself to get on that podium. It became a consuming goal.

Over the years, I've trained, lost, trained, had mechanicals, trained, got beat, trained harder, crashed... and every year this race would be a burr in my mind for 365 days until my next crack at it.

During that time, I've met a lot of you here. Some in passing, some in racing, and some have become ShlT talking buddies. But any meeting I've had with anyone has been positive, and the words of encouragement got me back on my bike when I figured it was time to just give up.

So yes, I got on the podium yesterday, and yes, it took me 5 years to get to 2nd place. My incredible wife and family's patience with me has been extraordinary and I will remind myself of this daily.

But to my ECMTBR friends, if ever our paths crossed, thank you for being awesome.

So yesterday, after being on the podium, I found myself in a quiet spot, eating my 3rd orange... and the feeling of accomplishment washed over me for the first time in 5 years after my first P2A.

Lemmy Rules!
    Best P2a ever! Got in with a fast group in the rail trail and hit the first climb about 10km in with an average speed north of 34km/h. One sketchy moment on the rail trail when another rider went down right in front of me at high speed. I couldn't stop without causing a major pileup behind me. I'm not sure what happened-It was one of those moments when everything went into slow motion. I think I actually bunny-hopped over his head. I saw him after the race and he was fine.

I was in a fast group thru the first few sections of road and gravel trail and powered thru the first single track. Was starting to feel it by the lap of the orchard and hung on like grim death for the next 20-30k but ended up riding quite a bit of it in the wind. Saw Cpt Sydor's friend by the side of the road with a lot of blood on his fave but fortunately the paramedics were with him and he was getting the help he needed. I hope he's OK. Has the indignity of getting passed by Riot (again). Held his wheel for a little while but apparently he got one of those electric motors fitted to his Crux (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

The first mud chute was ok and I stayed on the bike the whole way down. The Powerline mud chute was a gong show. I knew MTBMeister was somewhere out there with his camera and I wanted to make sure I was on the bike when he took my picture. I celebrated this goal with a huge endo into a thorn bush. Then I was on the road and descending into Mineral Springs.

Martin Road is always tough after 60+ km. but for the first time ever I rode the whole damn thing! My friend John was taking pictures on the steep part of the hill and asked me why I looked so miserable. I gave him the finger. Cpt Sydor, despite an apparently eventful race, had still managed to finish ahead of me, and was up the hill yelling what I think was encouraging things.

Over the finish line in 2:42. Not my best finish time or my highest finish (343rd I think) but my highest average speed and within 41mins of first place overall (another PR for me).

I didn't achieve all of the goals I set myself (finish in top 250, under 2.5 hours and ride both mud chutes) but it was a great day to be on the bike and this bodes well for that little race I am doing in the Rockies in August.

Congrats to all who raced and a huge shoutout to my teammate 14Stone who, after 4 years of bad luck at this race, finally took his rightful spot on the Clydesdale podium.

That is all

mtbr member
    2015 - finish P2A without the involvement of paramedics.

I did not even try to ride powerline, even though it was driest I've seen in many years. Not this year.

Any updates on the rider who went down? Nobody wants to be that guy, but eventually we all get a turn, it seems.

Workin for the weekend!
    So yes, I got on the podium yesterday, and yes, it took me 5 years to get to 2nd place. My incredible wife and family's patience with me has been extraordinary and I will remind myself of this daily.

But to my ECMTBR friends, if ever our paths crossed, thank you for being awesome.

So yesterday, after being on the podium, I found myself in a quiet spot, eating my 3rd orange... and the feeling of accomplishment washed over me for the first time in 5 years after my first P2A.
    Awesome Post fella! Congrats!...
    Todd :thumbsup:

Lemmy Rules!

I bought a Norco Jubei 5 years ago after waking up one night with chest pains. I realized how far I had fallen from my years before where I played rugby and any other contact sport.

My first ride, I made it to the end of my street, and I thought... holy s#!t, what am I doing. The next day, I did 5k. Eventually 20km rides were the norm. Then one day I just went out and went till I was exhausted, and came home, thinking "who does this".

I joined a 24h team for HAN after 3 months of riding a bike. On my pre ride, I kept saying to myself "Man you are way out of your league". Every lap that I left on, I felt heavier and heavier. My legs just that much harder to turn over. During my 4th lap, I came across a rider who had blown a pedal. Since I had no clue what to bring with me each lap.. I brought 2 of them. I handed them off. "Thanks Clyde", and I was on my way. ... Clyde?

After the race when I finished my 4th lap I found a quiet place while eating my 3rd McChico, I let the absolution of accomplishment wash over me. It was a rush of emotions.

During the winter, I read up on a few races and bought myself a trainer and did what I could. During this time a friend of mine told me about a buddy who did this race called Paris To Ancaster, and it had a class for big guys... I signed up within an hour.

And I got schooled... it was the hardest thing I've ever done. It was painful, unforgiving. I was bleeding, muddy and in shock. But I finished that sum*****, and the feeling of accomplishment returned, and I was hooked on racing. In the rain, you couldn't see the tears, but I was a proud man, and I resolved myself to get on that podium. It became a consuming goal.

Over the years, I've trained, lost, trained, had mechanicals, trained, got beat, trained harder, crashed... and every year this race would be a burr in my mind for 365 days until my next crack at it.

During that time, I've met a lot of you here. Some in passing, some in racing, and some have become ShlT talking buddies. But any meeting I've had with anyone has been positive, and the words of encouragement got me back on my bike when I figured it was time to just give up.

You got 3 oranges????? WTF!
    Strava made me do it....

I Strava Hamburgers
    Big man's gotta eat!

mtbr member
    Another P2A is in the books, and as usual it was memorable. The weather was great, standing in the wave 2 staging area with a blue sky it was warm enough that I peeled off the leg warmers before starting. I was feeling pretty good with my only doubts being around the gearing on my single speed. I was running the fastest gear I have, 34x16, which was okay for last years P2A.

The gun sounded and we were off. It was the usual super fast pace on the first section of rail trail and I was spinning away madly trying to keep up. The course heads up hill after that for a little while and I was settling into a decent pace. Crossed the first bit of mud, the ditch by the side of the road, and then into the first section of single track. I passed about 20 riders in that first section, my mountain bike skills helping out there.

Back onto the road and it became apparent I was way under geared. I was spinning like a hamster, doing bursts of pedalling and drafting to hold on to the wheels of people cruising at a mid 30km/h pace. I knew all this spinning would catch up with me eventually.

A pattern quickly emerged with me passing a group of riders in the off road sections, and then being passed by them on the road sections. With about 10 km to go the occasional twinges in my thighs became a little more insistent, I had to back off the pace a little. I had caught up with my friend at this point and he was in a similar condition, so we worked together to battle the head wind up to the mud chutes. Rode the first chute, and jogged the second feeling not too bad at that point.

I attempted to stand up to get up the first hill after the Mud Chute of Death and both my quads emphatically told me to sit back down or they were going to make life miserable. Knowing Martin Road was still ahead I eased off and slow pedalled the small hills leading up to Martin Road.

I rolled into the start of the Martin Road climb and kept a deliberately slow pace holding the cramps at bay. As the pitch increased I hopped off and started the march up. My legs were twinging, but I could still walk pretty well. At the steepest part I looked around and took in a pretty surreal scene. My friend was about 100 m ahead of me walking with pretty stiff legs, another guy was doubled over with cramps beside me receiving assistance, a women just in front of me was also suffering from cramps and was walking very slowly without bending her knees, and the air was filled with the sounds of bag pipes. I chuckled inwardly at the absurdity of what we put ourselves through in races like this. I walked until the pitch eased, hopped on my bike and pedalled the last stretch across the finish line. I was hoping to crack the top 10 in SS and missed by 15 seconds.

Next year Im bringing a bigger gear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    First bike race ever complete, hit the deck hard once and had a small earlier tumble. Had lots of fun, averaged 21km/hr for the whole 70km.

Will do it again next year for sure.

I saw a number of pro looking photog's in the race, any websites to check out their pictures of the race?

mtbr member

I did not even try to ride powerline, even though it was driest I've seen in many years. Not this year.

Any updates on the rider who went down? Nobody wants to be that guy, but eventually we all get a turn, it seems.
    He's still in hospital. Has some facial fractures, optimistic it won't require surgery. There will be some dental work required by the sounds of it. He's posting on facebook and most concerned about what happened!
    Straight outta Rossland

I Strava Hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by P90Puma View Post
    First bike race ever complete, hit the deck hard once and had a small earlier tumble. Had lots of fun, averaged 21km/hr for the whole 70km.

Will do it again next year for sure.

I saw a number of pro looking photog's in the race, any websites to check out their pictures of the race?
    www.apexracephotography.com

Pics will be up shortly. I'm sure there are many more.

Dog Slow
    Woof, I finished! My second fastest P2A finish so far coming in just a few minutes behind Unglued, no injuries or mechanicals but lots of cramps like others have mentioned. I even managed to carry some sort of bush in my rear wheel for what seemed like 20km before I had to extract it from the wheel and cassette before the mud shute and Martin hill. A good day with friends spent on the bike, and a big congratulations to 14Stone on the podium!
    Last edited by Rocket Dog; 04-27-2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: SPEEELING MYSTAKES

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Big man's gotta eat!
    Beer in 3 weeks at Long Sock buddy. Post race....no exemptions.

Well done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

F n A dude!! Well done!!

mtbr member
    Some great stories here - and 14Stone big up! That's gotta be the post of the year here.
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My race report is here...

RiotOnRacing: P2A - Riot's Race Report

mtbr member
    www.apexracephotography.com

Pics will be up shortly. I'm sure there are many more.
    I saw 4 decent photos of me that they have, so I placed an order with them for all 4 of them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    My race report is here...

RiotOnRacing: P2A - Riot's Race Report
    An excellent read, I definitely enjoyed reading it. It put a smile on my face recalling some of what went on...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    An excellent read, I definitely enjoyed reading it. It put a smile on my face recalling some of what went on...
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    I always enjoy the reports Riot, keep them up please.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I always enjoy the reports Riot, keep them up please.
    Thank you, will do. I enjoy writing them. My wife get's a kick at me giggling at my own bad humour as I write them...

mtbr member
    He's still in hospital. Has some facial fractures, optimistic it won't require surgery. There will be some dental work required by the sounds of it. He's posting on facebook and most concerned about what happened!
    Yes, as I have learned, the most important part of being diagnosed for a traumatic brain injury is posting to the internet every step of the way.

Hope he's back in the saddle soon... following medical guidance, of course...do as I say and not as I do...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    Next year Im bringing a bigger gear.
    Just something to consider...
    1st place was 42x15 - 2.8
    2nd place was 46x16 - 2.875
    3rd place was 38x14 - 2.71

My 29er mtb gear is either 34 or 32x16 - 2.125 or 2, and I jumped it up to 2.71 for this race on the CXSS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    Thank you, will do. I enjoy writing them. My wife get's a kick at me giggling at my own bad humour as I write them...
    Hopefully she's not actually kicking you at the same time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusJuice View Post
    Hopefully she's not actually kicking you at the same time.
    So you've met my wife?