Paris to Ancaster Pre-ride?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ddakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    443

    Paris to Ancaster Pre-ride?

    Hey everyone. I'm interested in pre-riding the last 4 or 5 kms of the Paris-Ancaster Route Saturday afternoon when I go there to register. Can anyone give me detailed descriptions of how that race finishes so I can find the route? I've never ridden it.

    Cheers,
    Dan

    p.s. Anyone interested in a Saturday-afternoon ride around 2ish before registration opens?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swerny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,024
    it finishes at the big ass hill at the back of the Recreation centre by the playing fields. .
    Look for the mud.
    Sorry I can't be more descriptive than that.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    51
    Hi Dan,

    The race finishes at the Ancaster Community centre...If you drive in the parking lot follow it to the back parking lot where the baseball diamonds are and the big hill starts there and follow that to the end well to the asphalt road. That road is Mineral Springs. Turn left and follow that to Gravel Pit Road turn left onto that road and go up the gravel road under the bridge and follow to the gate where the trailer is then turn right at the next intersection which is the mud shoot.

    Hopefully this helps.

    Shell

    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Hey everyone. I'm interested in pre-riding the last 4 or 5 kms of the Paris-Ancaster Route Saturday afternoon when I go there to register. Can anyone give me detailed descriptions of how that race finishes so I can find the route? I've never ridden it.

    Cheers,
    Dan

    p.s. Anyone interested in a Saturday-afternoon ride around 2ish before registration opens?

  4. #4
    They say I have a problem
    Reputation: rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    460
    Good instructions Shell...

    Dan, just for clarification the hill is at the far end of the sports centre....to the left if you are driving in the main entrance....it's actually an old gravel road that still provides access to a few homes at the bottom...

    Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ddakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    443

    Thanks!

    Thanks for the info guys/lady.

    Shell/Richard are you guys riding the race this year? I'm actually wussing out and only doing the Harrisburg to Ancaster. I guess in a way I'm sandbagging because I think I can do better in the shorter race at this point in the season.

    Cheers,
    Dan

  6. #6
    They say I have a problem
    Reputation: rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    460
    No we are passing on it this year...The last few times we've done it, it's been a mudfest and we weren't looking forward to that again...Of course the weather has been just perfect this year and it looks like it will continue...In the end it doesn't really matter because I have my kids this weekend so racing won't work....not to mention we haven't been on the mountain bikes or trails yet this year....This road biking thing is proving to be quite interesting and fun...

    Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    604
    I've been on the roads quite a bit this year as well and it's a nice change from mountain biking. I know that once I can hit the trails again though, there will be no comparison, but it's great to be able to ride both varieties and keep it interesting.

    One pet peeve I have to share though...being chased by dogs. It was funny at first, you're driving by someone's property and the Dog on the property barks at you...next time a couple of beagles chase me for a hundred feet, but when a dog the size of a horse chases me for 2km, manages to cut in front of my bike almost taking me out, then almost gets hit by a car, it's pretty annoying. I love dogs, but hate many dog owners. You think your dog is calm so you don't leash them, well when something happens you have no one to blame but yourself.

    Sorry about the rant, my heart rate is still high from the recent chase

    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    No we are passing on it this year...The last few times we've done it, it's been a mudfest and we weren't looking forward to that again...Of course the weather has been just perfect this year and it looks like it will continue...In the end it doesn't really matter because I have my kids this weekend so racing won't work....not to mention we haven't been on the mountain bikes or trails yet this year....This road biking thing is proving to be quite interesting and fun...

    Rich

  8. #8
    Economy Stimulator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Thanks for the info guys/lady.

    Shell/Richard are you guys riding the race this year? I'm actually wussing out and only doing the Harrisburg to Ancaster. I guess in a way I'm sandbagging because I think I can do better in the shorter race at this point in the season.

    Cheers,
    Dan

    Yah when i saw you were only doing the short course all i could think was "sandbagger" I am way past outta shape for this race and i refuse to do the short course. That said i could show you the last strecth of it if you like. say 2pm at the main entrace. I'll be the guy on the black kona kula sporting a kona jersey.
    Last edited by teebor76xc; 04-14-2005 at 09:30 AM. Reason: typo

  9. #9
    They say I have a problem
    Reputation: rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    460
    I know what you mean...We had a couple dogs, on last night's ride, look as if they were going to go and chase us...Shell was leading and panicked a bit, looked away for a sec, and ran through a nasty pothole...She saw it at the last second and was kind of shook up by the whole thing...She does not like dogs when she's on the bike...Myself I just keep riding and if they get too close...Like beside me, they get a nice boot to the head...That usually stops them...

    Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ddakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    443

    Sandbagger :)

    Quote Originally Posted by teebor76xc
    Yah when i saw you were only doing the short course all i could think was "sandbagger" I am way past outta shap for this race and i refuse to do the short course. That said i could show you the last strecth of it if you like. say 2pm at the main entrace. I'll be the guy on the black kona kula sporting a kona jersey.
    Yeah I'll accept any harrassment I take about doing the short race Sunday. The problem is it was that or nothing because the first novice road race of the year at the Hershey Centre in Mississauga is Monday so I didn't want to blow the wad all on Sunday. For those of you just getting into road biking, the Hershey race is part of the Vaughan Midweek Cycling Club. They have regular racing on Wednesdays but a novice crit race every Monday. It's $7 I think to entre and it's basically a way to introduce yourself to road racing. Should be fun.

    But yeah if you want to do a ride Saturday afternoon that would be great. I'll meet you at the Ancaster Community Centre main entrance at 2 p.m. If anyone else wants to come along, feel free. We'll ride for a bit and then go register.

    Cheers,
    Dan

  11. #11
    Economy Stimulator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Yeah I'll accept any harrassment I take about doing the short race Sunday. The problem is it was that or nothing because the first novice road race of the year at the Hershey Centre in Mississauga is Monday so I didn't want to blow the wad all on Sunday. For those of you just getting into road biking, the Hershey race is part of the Vaughan Midweek Cycling Club. They have regular racing on Wednesdays but a novice crit race every Monday. It's $7 I think to entre and it's basically a way to introduce yourself to road racing. Should be fun.

    But yeah if you want to do a ride Saturday afternoon that would be great. I'll meet you at the Ancaster Community Centre main entrance at 2 p.m. If anyone else wants to come along, feel free. We'll ride for a bit and then go register.

    Cheers,
    Dan

    Hey Dan,

    Congrats on your finish, quite respectable for a sandbagger! Next year i am going to run the 30K and get me some hardware! Give me a shout next time you are doing the intro road thing, as i wouldn't mind hitting that up(but not tonight). Have a good one.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ddakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    443

    Thanks!

    HA HA....yeah I was definitely happy with the result yesterday. It's my best-ever finish in any race so I was pretty happy.

    Thanks for showing me the last stretch there Saturday. It really helped out a tonne at the end.

    Nice job yourself too. Considering there were 1,000 people racing it looks like you had a good day!

    Cheers,
    Dan

  13. #13
    Economy Stimulator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    HA HA....yeah I was definitely happy with the result yesterday. It's my best-ever finish in any race so I was pretty happy.

    Thanks for showing me the last stretch there Saturday. It really helped out a tonne at the end.

    Nice job yourself too. Considering there were 1,000 people racing it looks like you had a good day!

    Cheers,
    Dan

    Thanks, I placed exactly the same as last year overall. Oh well, guess i should have focused on cardio this winter instead of upper bod strength. Plenty of time to get in shape yet...i think a little recovery road ride is in order tonight. Damn its nice out today!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ddakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    443

    Race!

    Forget the recovery ride...come do an easy crit race in Mississauga!

    6:30 pm start and it's the first one so there's no pressure. It'll be 30km I'm told.

    Dan

  15. #15
    Economy Stimulator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Forget the recovery ride...come do an easy crit race in Mississauga!

    6:30 pm start and it's the first one so there's no pressure. It'll be 30km I'm told.

    Dan

    its tempting

  16. #16
    Economy Stimulator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Forget the recovery ride...come do an easy crit race in Mississauga!

    6:30 pm start and it's the first one so there's no pressure. It'll be 30km I'm told.

    Dan

    Well how'd it go last night? distance? pace?

Similar Threads

  1. Midwest or East Coast Riders...Epic Help?
    By Giventofly in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 01:34 PM
  2. Epic Va rides?
    By ncbiker in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 07:58 PM
  3. Singletrack snow ride on an 18 wheeler....... at night.
    By Objectionable Material in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 12:15 PM
  4. Is there a better way to start the New Year? a ride report
    By Yeti_Rider in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 04:46 PM
  5. AZSF04 Spring Fling Pre-Gathering Organization thread
    By AZ Mikey in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 06:15 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.