Paris 2 Ancaster- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Paris 2 Ancaster

Who is going in this race this year? I just signed up and Wave2 is already full. Looks like a lot of people are in it this year.

mtbr member
    I'm in. Wave 1.

My new cross bike is so lonely, waiting to be ridden more than around the block. Might break it in at the tour of pelham, but this will be it's unveiling
    Last edited by CptSydor; 03-01-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Evil Jr.
    We'll be there about half way up Martin Road, yelling at you to kill it!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sock puppet
    check.

I hope I can suck Leigh's wheel up the final climb better than last year when she walked away...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm in.

I hope to have better success than last time - when I rode half the race with a broken handlebar. Or the time before that, when I flatted 10 minutes in. Wait a minute - I sort of suck at this race. Why am I doing it again?

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty
    Why am I doing it again?
    ummm, to show off your new sexy socks????

mtbr member
    I will be riding my classic mountain bike, expecting a classic lower mid pack finish. Not sure why either!
    Hopefully this year I won't be bonking when Unglued and 2WD go flying past me and I hope to be able to carry on a short intelligent conversation.
    I will definitely save a handful of mud to throw on Capt. Sydor's new bike when he goes flying past me on the road.(his bike will probably still be spotless from him tippytoeing through the woods with it instead of riding it through the mud)

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Yep, I'll do this again. Not yet sure whether to enjoy the familiarity and comfort of my Epic again, it did a fine job for me last year, or if I should tempt fate with the new-to-me-but-gently-worn CX bike...
    Jouko

mtbr member

yep, for the eleventh year I believe.

Hoping for sunshine, dry, and enough gas to get up the hill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvandall
    Who is going in this race this year? I just signed up and Wave2 is already full. Looks like a lot of people are in it this year.
    First time that I will miss it in a few years. I have some other races that I have put on the calendar later in the season and have to offset them with races like this one to keep the PR Department in check. Will miss some of you folks, have a great race!
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Yes. Since '99, actually.

I predict pain.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Lemmy Rules!
    Yep. Signed up. Was dismayed to learn that wave 2 was full as of last Friday, so as I do not have a race licence yet, I am in wave 3.

I have done this race every year since 2004, but this year, there will be one critical difference to years past...Yes, that's right folks - I'll be riding this race with gears for the first time ever, courtesy of the woman who hit me while I was riding to work last November and her insurance company. It will be interesting to see if it makes any difference whatsoever to my time and my ability to ride up the final hill.

Maybe I should change my signature to "fat guy on Colnago World Cup coming through"
    Strava made me do it....

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Jouko
    Yep, I'll do this again. Not yet sure whether to enjoy the familiarity and comfort of my Epic again, it did a fine job for me last year, or if I should tempt fate with the new-to-me-but-gently-worn CX bike...
    I've done the race on both a mountain bike and a cyclocross bike. I had much more fun on the cross bike.

I won't be there this year.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

sock puppet

Colnago eh?

must have been a good year...

Quote Originally Posted by Unglued
    Yep. Signed up. Was dismayed to learn that wave 2 was full as of last Friday, so as I do not have a race licence yet, I am in wave 3.

I have done this race every year since 2004, but this year, there will be one critical difference to years past...Yes, that's right folks - I'll be riding this race with gears for the first time ever, courtesy of the woman who hit me while I was riding to work last November and her insurance company. It will be interesting to see if it makes any difference whatsoever to my time and my ability to ride up the final hill.

Maybe I should change my signature to "fat guy on Colnago World Cup coming through"

Loving Life
    I'll be there this year in wave 1, on my new cx bike...looking forward to it

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jouko
    ...new-to-me-but-gently-worn CX bike...
    Hmmm. Is that what I told you when I sold you that bike? Damn. How do I put this to you gently...

Use the Epic.

mtbr member
    I would like to do this race once again. Its been a couple years. This time on my SSCX bike. Now to figure out the logistics.

mtbr member
    Last year the HOTN was the weekend before and was a really good lead-in for the mayhem of P2A.

This year the word is that HOTN is the weekend after P2A.

Thus, I'm looking for an alternative. I guess Pelham is an option.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Can't believe its selling out so quick. I finished 2:42 the year I did it (2008), but it looks like I'd have to be in Wave 3.

Is here any disadvantage to being in that wave, or sandbagging aspect to it?

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace

Is here any disadvantage to being in that wave, or sandbagging aspect to it?
    Everyone gets placed according to a chip timing system, so all that counts is how long between you cross the start and cross the finish line. The only thing is that you want to be with people approximately your own speed to take turns taking pulls. My strategy will be to get up to the front of wave 3 so that I can avoid getting caught in traffic off the start. Hopefully, I can find some like-minded individuals (such as yourself if I can keep up) to take pulls with until I catch wave 2.

However, there is a major road that the course crosses about 15km in. They close it completely for wave 1, for wave 2 or 3 they have a police officer who stops traffic every few moments to let riders through, so you may have to wait there a minute or two for traffic to clear. Usually, by that point, I am pretty glad of the rest.
    Strava made me do it....

veldrijder
    Getting a top 250 (i.e. Wave 1) finish out of Wave 2 is fairly possible since there's usually a bunch of eager folk who are stuck there and motivated to do well. Doing it out of Wave 3 could be a problem due to lots of slower Wave 2 traffic and not so guaranteed road crossings as mentioned.

Getting a top 100 or so finish seems unlikely if not impossible without starting in Wave 1. Sure it's all timed, so it can be done, but making the right group is crucial. If you get in a group that's working well together but is too slow for your liking, and as long as you don't mind not making too many friends during the race, do as I did last year and sit on for 20k before attacking and bridging to the next group

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    Getting a top 250 (i.e. Wave 1) finish out of Wave 2 is fairly possible since there's usually a bunch of eager folk who are stuck there and motivated to do well. Doing it out of Wave 3 could be a problem due to lots of slower Wave 2 traffic and not so guaranteed road crossings as mentioned.

Getting a top 100 or so finish seems unlikely if not impossible without starting in Wave 1. Sure it's all timed, so it can be done, but making the right group is crucial. If you get in a group that's working well together but is too slow for your liking, and as long as you don't mind not making too many friends during the race, do as I did last year and sit on for 20k before attacking and bridging to the next group
    Hmm, I'll keep this mind, esp if I'm singlespeeding this race..

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    must have been a good year...

Basically, the above-mentioned crash cracked the frame on my road bike (2008 Cervelo R3), but with the insurance money for full replacement value for a Cervelo R3, I got a new R3 with SRAM Red, and had enough money left over for a Colnago World Cup CX frame and brakes. Most of the parts off my old R3 were undamaged/had minor cosmetic damage in the crash, so they went on the cross frame.

I would rather not have been hit by a car and still have a 3 year old road bike and no cross bike, but all things considered, I think it worked out rather well...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr Decade+
    Basically, the above-mentioned crash cracked the frame on my road bike (2008 Cervelo R3), but with the insurance money for full replacement value for a Cervelo R3, I got a new R3 with SRAM Red, and had enough money left over for a Colnago World Cup CX frame and brakes. Most of the parts off my old R3 were undamaged/had minor cosmetic damage in the crash, so they went on the cross frame.

I would rather not have been hit by a car and still have a 3 year old road bike and no cross bike, but all things considered, I think it worked out rather well...
    Nice work. My neighbour borrowed, then broke, my favourite shovel. Do ya think you can get me a Pinarello?
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    Nice work. My neighbour borrowed, then broke, my favourite shovel. Do ya think you can get me a Pinarello?
    All you need is the right lawyer.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    My only attempt at the P2A was in 2009. I started from wave 2 as I didn't have a license. There was also a fierce easterly head wind that year that made any form of drafting important.

I ended up in around 150 place, but it was a struggle from wave 2.

Right out of the gun, there was a group of ~25 that formed off the front of the wave. We all rode the first section of rail trail as a group. There was a sharpe right hander up a loose slope and it was instant destruction of the pack from there. The group that had formed was a mishmash of more serious cyclists and some people who were fit and could keep up for the first few km, but there weren't many people to be found once the pack broke up.

I was pretty lucky, I did find one other guy that was riding a similar speed as myself and we rode the entire race together to ensure we had help. Beyond that however, the people we did catch from wave 1 were the slower ones. You'd come to the back of a pack and realize they were generally going 5 km/hr slower than you and it wasn't worth it to try to rest, so you passed them. The people your speed from wave 1 were 10 minutes ahead and likely had larger groups of similar speed, so you weren't catching them.

So expect that from the latter waves, notably wave 3, you'll be breaking a lot of wind and it will be hard to find people to work with.

With previous solid results/qualifications, if you are looking to put down the best time/place possible, you might be able to send an email and request a move up. Not sure how easily that would work, but you never know.

mostbrokenestscaphoidever

yes...

I'm signed up for this... unsure how I will do, as this will be my first time on the bike for a long distance since my injury. I did however take a clinic at Joyride as my winter fix, so I can at least say I got some miles on the XC loop and the pump track

What the hell... I'll giverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! best I can...

Going to do it on my 1 x 9 build Misfit - just need to slap on some skinny tires and away I go!
    misfit diSSent 29er SS
    niner One9 SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've never done this one, but until I get a cross bike, I don't think I will either.

I have a sorry lack of base training this winter anyway, so not too many early season races...

Tim Farrar
    Apr 2007

P2A bike choice

Although P2A is a cross bike friendly race, you don't need one. Mike Simonson won on a 29er, Peter Mazur won on a road bike, albeit with spd pedals, 25mm tires and some luck, and Seamus Mcgrath won 3 times on his regular cross country bike with slicks. Seamus is back again this year, on his mtb. Its the motor, not the bike , and with appropriate tire choice, almost any kind of bike can be fast at P2A
    Tim Farrar.

mtbr member
    I'm in again; my second attempt at the full version, did the half-race in 2009. I have one bike (Giant Anthem) and one set of tires. It's what I've got and what I'm used to and therefore what I'll be riding the race in.

Here's hoping for decent weather, chummy camaraderie and beating last year's time.
    I love riding my bike!

mtbr member
    Got a cross bike this year and am looking forward to the race!

I'm probably going to start in wave 3 and will probably take it pretty easy at first.

My bike came with Speed Max cross tires, how will these tires work?

Cheers!

Ming

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    Got a cross bike this year and am looking forward to the race!

I'm probably going to start in wave 3 and will probably take it pretty easy at first.

My bike came with Speed Max cross tires, how will these tires work?

Cheers!

Ming
    I think Speed Max should be good. I ran Michelin Sprint Cyclocross semi-slicks last year and was happy with them. There is so much road and rail trail.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Should be there. I'm just looking for a mid pack Clyde finish. I'll probably ride geared though I may bring the SS out just to punish myself.

Should be a good time, hope to meet a few of you there. Wave 3 though, so maybe at the end over a beer or 2?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    For the mountain bikers, thoughts on the best tires to run for this race? Small block 8s? Obviously lots of XC trail, but it could be a little muddy as well.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I think Speed Max should be good. I ran Michelin Sprint Cyclocross semi-slicks last year and was happy with them. There is so much road and rail trail.
    Perfect Thanks!

I found myself an opportunity to get a set of CK classic hubs for really cheap, so I'm having my LBS building up a set of Open Pros on the CK hubs. Hopefully they will be ready in time.

Evil Jr.
    Open Pros
    Nice choice. Mine are indestructible.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by bladerunner09
    For the mountain bikers, thoughts on the best tires to run for this race? Small block 8s? Obviously lots of XC trail, but it could be a little muddy as well.
    Thanks
    There will be mud, yes, but it's not like a muddy XC course where you are constantly climbing, descending, and turning in the mud. In the P2A, you come across a muddy section, but you just keep the bike pointed straight and pedal. There are a couple slick downhills, but IMHO, that does not warrat a mud tire, just some extra caution.

I suggest a fairly narrow semi-slick, or whatever fast rolling XC tire you have available. Like I said before, so much of the race is on road and rail trail, you want a tire that rolls well on those surfaces.

IMHO, YMMV, etc....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I really wanted to try this race, but I have to work.

Bummer.

DG

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    This is my first year riding P2A. I got a Litespeed CX with The Captain mounted to Zipp 404 Special Editions. Got my UCI after I registered and am in Wave 3. I'm really hoping I can ramp up my training as the last few months have been anything but fruitful in the riding department.

Loving Life
    contact the guys who run the race, I was in the 2nd wave last year and got my licence after, they said they'd bump me to wave one. Problem was I forgot to go in and do it and didn't remember until I got to the start location. I ended up spending the whole race pushing the wind trying to catch people going a good speed from wave 1. Its always the same story though, everyone you catch is going to slow to sit on their wheel, and the guys who are going your speed are working with a group and are way ahead of you. Its good training but makes for a miserable race, I'd try to go to at least wave 2 if I were you

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev
    contact the guys who run the race, I was in the 2nd wave last year and got my licence after, they said they'd bump me to wave one. Problem was I forgot to go in and do it and didn't remember until I got to the start location. I ended up spending the whole race pushing the wind trying to catch people going a good speed from wave 1. Its always the same story though, everyone you catch is going to slow to sit on their wheel, and the guys who are going your speed are working with a group and are way ahead of you. Its good training but makes for a miserable race, I'd try to go to at least wave 2 if I were you
    Thanks. I'll contact them tomorrow and see if I can get moved up.

mtbr member
    I will be there for the very first time. I sold my CX bike, so I'll be toddling along on my trials-y singlespeed (23-16). I signed up a month or more ago, but volunteered for the third wave as I'm in no hurry and somebody else could use my "spot."

I'm mostly going because some friends are going.

mtb wipeout king
    I will be there this year again, this time with a little more knowledge and lessons (ty langford) for climbing. But hopefully the new bike helps, can't wait to break it into its first race.

mtbr Decade+
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald
    I will be there for the very first time. I sold my CX bike, so I'll be toddling along on my trials-y singlespeed (23-16). I signed up a month or more ago, but volunteered for the third wave as I'm in no hurry and somebody else could use my "spot."

I'm mostly going because some friends are going.
    If 23-16 isn't a typo, I can't see you making the halfway cutoff. Look into a bigger chainring...
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    If 23-16 isn't a typo, I can't see you making the halfway cutoff. Look into a bigger chainring...
    I suppose I could go 23-13 by stealing a loose cog off an old spiderless cassette and adding a tensioner. What ratio do people use when riding SS in this thing?

Evil Jr.
    I suppose I could go 23-13 by stealing a loose cog off an old spiderless cassette and adding a tensioner. What ratio do people use when riding SS in this thing?
    If I were to do it, I wouldn't go any lower than 38:16 or thereabouts (I'm hopeless at gear-inches). There's a TON of road.

mtbr member

didn't the P2A run about 3rd or 4th week of March about

ten or so years ago. Just think if it wasn't changed to 3rd week of April, we could be racing this sunday. Smart thinking there Tim and company.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    If I were to do it, I wouldn't go any lower than 38:16 or thereabouts (I'm hopeless at gear-inches). There's a TON of road.
    Agreeded. I did it on my SS last year - 29er with cross tires and ran 38:16 and that wasn't bad but could have really gone to 40 or 42. Anything lower then that you might as well run because you are going to be spinning a lot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have signed up for my 2nd attempt. Looking to pickup some fast rolling xc tires for mountain bike. Ones that I can use other places in season. Was thinking small block eights but worried they will clog right up in the mud. Last time i carried bike thru a lot of the mud chutes but the woods were pretty muddy too. Any one use continental speed kings? Schwalbe tires look good but very pricey. Thanks for the help.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neuf
    I have signed up for my 2nd attempt. Looking to pickup some fast rolling xc tires for mountain bike. Ones that I can use other places in season. Was thinking small block eights but worried they will clog right up in the mud. Last time i carried bike thru a lot of the mud chutes but the woods were pretty muddy too. Any one use continental speed kings? Schwalbe tires look good but very pricey. Thanks for the help.
    Eric
    Tire recommendations are a dime a dozen, but I've been using specialized fast trax and have found them to be really good for 'fast riding' situations. They can usually be found pretty cheap as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    CptSydor which model of specialized fast trax have you used? Checked out there site. They have big selection of tires. Might be worth a try.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neuf
    CptSydor which model of specialized fast trax have you used? Checked out there site. They have big selection of tires. Might be worth a try.
    thanks

http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bc/...1008&scid=1014

All the fast trak have the same tread, it seems the differences are the construction of the tire.

So whatever suits your needs. The s-works is likely the lightest, the lowest level has a wire bead, armadillo for flat prone riding (like the south west).

Most shops around here would probably stock the fast trak control, which is the 'average' tire of the bunch.

Edit: I pretty sure mine are the controls (they certainly aren't s-works, UST, armadillo's or have a wire bead!). I picked them up for the bike show a couple years ago for $12 a tire. I regret not buying more than a set at that price. I really like them when I am doing general purpose, multi-surface riding (35-40 psi). I've used them in the Paris to Ancaster and Tour of Pelham at 50 PSI as well and find they worked well for me.

mtb wipeout king
    just a warning, the fast trax are like the sb8's in mud, they don't like it. I ran them all last year, I liked them for hard packed, but anything loose or slippery and they got squirley. I also found mud bound up on them.

I have 8's on the new ride so i will wait till i wear them down, but when i replace them I may look into a suggestion I read about using Spec's captains on the front and Fast trax on the rear. BTW local shops sell the FT controls for around $22 each.

mtbr member

Good job! Full Race Preview at RaceDayRush.com

For the newbies to this race as well as those that just want a reminder, you can watch the full course race from 2010 here...

http://www.racedayrush.com

mtb wipeout king
    Is there any way to download that vid so I can play it on my DVD player while I am indoors training. using a vid like that can make a boring training session a little better.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, we haven't got this set up as a download option being it was just raw race footage from from start to finish. I take it you don't have a computer accessible in front of your trainer? I will look into the download option.

mtbr member
    I signed up for the race last night. Now I'm getting excited about it

mtbr member
    I'll be on my Anthem-X with Rocket Ron's. Go till I blow as I always say.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosti
    Is there any way to download that vid so I can play it on my DVD player while I am indoors training. using a vid like that can make a boring training session a little better.
    There are loads of ways to download Flash videos from websites... google will show folks the way if they are so inclined. But the quality may be too crappy for your taste at full screen.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    For the newbies to this race as well as those that just want a reminder, you can watch the full course race from 2010 here...

Oh hells yes.

Thank you so much for posting this.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by misconceptionz
    I'll be on my Anthem-X with Rocket Ron's. Go till I blow as I always say.
    I've heard that about you...
    Strava made me do it....

I Strava Hamburgers
    Anyone doing this on a SS?

mtbr member
    @ Unglued...Oh come on Barry... your the one pussing out and riding with gears.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone
    Anyone doing this on a SS?
    As noted earlier in the thread, I will be toddling along slowly on my SS rock crawler. I have ordered a new crank just for this kind of thing, if it arrives in time I'll run 32-16 and spin along at a leisurely pace. Failing that I'll have to settle for 23-13 and I may not make the cutoff. So, yes I will be riding a SS, but from what the lycra-clad set are saying, I may be officially registered for the race but I won't be racing.

My goal is to clean the mud chute even after hundreds of people have chewed it up. From what I've heard, it is tricky to do late in the race and even tricker if you are surrounded by people slipping, sliding, and falling in front of you. I may need multiple attempts to get it, but I'll keep at it until I nail it, break the bike, or darkness falls.

I Strava Hamburgers
    I may be officially registered for the race but I won't be racing.
    Same, just getting my legs under me in this one

I haven't decided if I'm going to go geared, or ride the new SS being built tomorrow. I'm in Wave 3. I'll be on a black Kona Big Unit if I bring the SS

sock puppet
    actually he was candidly asking "blow who?" as in your statement "go till i blow"

just trying to help here...

definitely don't want to be in the middle...

Lemmy Rules!
    @ Unglued...Oh come on Barry... your the one pussing out and riding with gears.

My Misfit is available for loan if you want to put your money where your mouth is. No? OK then...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    My Misfit is available for loan if you want to put your money where your mouth is. No? OK then...
    We can settle this on Sunday. Of course I will be on my Anthem and you on your misfit but who's counting right?
    "Go till I blow..... chunks"

sock puppet
    We can settle this on Sunday. Of course I will be on my Anthem and you on your misfit but who's counting right?
    whats going on on Sunday? or is it P2A Sunday? i like watching people settling things... makes me feel less insular...

Lemmy Rules!
    whats going on on Sunday? or is it P2A Sunday? i like watching people settling things... makes me feel less insular...

Misconceptionz and I are headed out on a ride together. He's ripped my legs off on a road bike, so he thinks he can do it on a mountainbike too. We'll be riding in Bronte Creek in Oakville. You're more than welcome to join us and rip both our legs off as only you can. Feel free to pm me for co-ordinates.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Misconceptionz and I are headed out on a ride together. He's ripped my legs off on a road bike, so he thinks he can do it on a mountainbike too. We'll be riding in Bronte Creek in Oakville. You're more than welcome to join us and rip both our legs off as only you can. Feel free to pm me for co-ordinates.
    A friend and I were thinking of doing Mohawk/Hilton Agreement tomorrow. ANy idea how rideable stuff is given the snow from Wednesday? Is Bronte more rideable??

Lemmy Rules!
    A friend and I were thinking of doing Mohawk/Hilton Agreement tomorrow. ANy idea how rideable stuff is given the snow from Wednesday? Is Bronte more rideable??
    No idea. Have never ridden there, but it's very local to me. I hear it's rideable in the snow, though. Misconceptionz can probably tell you (and me) more, as he's ridden in in the snow earlier this season.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've ridden there a handful of times this Winter. If it's deep snow, it's hike-a-bike, but if it gets packed down from use, it's quite nice.

Lemmy Rules!
    Yeah, I've ridden there a handful of times this Winter. If it's deep snow, it's hike-a-bike, but if it gets packed down from use, it's quite nice.
    Good to know. Thanks. We'll try and pack it down for you on Sunday...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    I have ridden in Bronte with 10cm of fresh powder. It was hell but still rideable. Once its packed down it is slick but still fast. Its a good ride. Start at Bronte park entrance and go to the 407 and back. Always park outside the main park as they charge an arm and a leg to drive in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

yes

signed up in clydesdale again this year. should be a fun race. i had fun last year. hopefully not to muddy this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrclownprince
    signed up in clydesdale again this year. should be a fun race. i had fun last year. hopefully not to muddy this year.
    Is there a singlespeed, fat tyre, clydesdale, beginner, over-forty category? I could have a shot at that podium. Maybe.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Is there a singlespeed, fat tyre, clydesdale, beginner, over-forty category? I could have a shot at that podium. Maybe.

We make our own podium out of beer cases.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    We make our own podium out of beer cases.

haha, i thought they should raise clydesdale up to 250 pounds

i cut beer down to only weekends as part of my training schedule. that should gain me atleast 3 seconds overall.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by mrclownprince
    haha, i thought they should raise clydesdale up to 250 pounds

i cut beer down to only weekends as part of my training schedule. that should gain me atleast 3 seconds overall.

That's unfortunate. I find I'm faster after drinking beer. I've never looked at a clock to confirm though.

...from parts unknown
    Sep 2006
    Signed up again after a few years hiatus. Good excuse to build up a new bike. Dekerf SST 29'r with Dekerf tuning fork, Surly Open Bar, older Race Face cranks, post and stem, Hope hubs, etc.
    If you're looking for me on the 17th, I'll be slow, steady, but stylin' in the 3rd Wave.
    Paris 2 Ancaster-dsc_0223.jpg
    Paris 2 Ancaster-dsc_0226.jpg
    Paris 2 Ancaster-dsc_0222.jpg
    Paris 2 Ancaster-dsc_0225.jpg

Evil Jr.
    Gorgeous DeKerf! Is it just me or are your grips backwards?

...from parts unknown
    Sep 2006
    Is it just me or are your grips backwards?
    Yep, they are (well, were) on backwards, LOL! Just put it together before the pictures were taken. Need to get a few rides in before the 17th.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

ride to/from P2A?

Anyone from Toronto have room for me and my bike? I'd love to do this one but I'm not having much luck with getting a ride out with anyone from my club. More than happy to split gas costs.

EDIT: Ugh. Seems the bus is sold out. Not sure how it's supposed to work but if anyone is going and is in the same situation and has room in their car, let me know.

Even a ride just to Paris would be great. I could always ride into Hamilton and take the Go Train home.
    Last edited by hidaniel; 04-05-2011 at 06:17 PM.

mtbr member

Final hill

Finally convinced a friend to ride St. G to Ancaster.

Tried to describe the end of the race to him.

For those with Don Valley knowlege - is the final climb the same as from the old unused silver trestle bridge up to Nesbitt or more like trestle bridge up to the Loblaws in terms of the length/amount of climb?

Ska
    Steel is real.
    I don’t know....everyone talks about using a CX bike and how advantageous it is but, personally, I’ve been chasing my best time (established while on a mtb) with a CX bike ever since. My times have usually been relatively close to it (except last year after a significant crash called for extensive trail-side fixin’s) but I’ve never been able to beat it.
    After the awful weather we’ve been having thus far, I’m thinking the CX bike will actually be nothing but a headache out there as everything will be soft and power robbing. Those little skinny’s are just going to sink in just enough for at least 65% of the ride to make you hurt. Although the road sections will be slightly better I doubt that there is all that much advantage in the grand scheme of things.

I just built up a new Niner and I’m considering more and more using that instead. We’ll see.

I hope the sun pops out for a few days and dies everything out before the event...

Ska!
    p.s. John, the Dekerf looks stellar!
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pikester
    Finally convinced a friend to ride St. G to Ancaster.

Tried to describe the end of the race to him.

For those with Don Valley knowlege - is the final climb the same as from the old unused silver trestle bridge up to Nesbitt or more like trestle bridge up to the Loblaws in terms of the length/amount of climb?
    You can watch it here if you want to see it...

Evil Jr.
    It's closer to the Loblaws version IMHO. It steepens up quite a bit on the last pitch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It's closer to the Loblaws version IMHO. It steepens up quite a bit on the last pitch.
    Although it has been a few years since I have ridden that final climb in P2A, I think the closest comparison is the fire road out of the Vale of Avoca up to Castle Frank Road. But potentially more ruts in P2A. And you've just ridden 59k. In the wind. And you're cramping.

So, just like that climb, but way worse.

mtbr Decade+
    You may think that, I once did.

Cycling is filled with pseudo intellectuals, faux-pro's and anti-fat clydes. The latter category negatively affects you (us). There is a segment of society that chooses to race clydesdale, although the sum total of their mass, the mass of their sweat dampened clothes and mud riddled shoes may only exceed 200 pounds by a few miniscule ounces. On the pro tour they call them sprinters.

These people are here, among us, sand bagging or plotting to sandbag us, the truly fat.

I order cheeseburgers by the bag, get a shawarma AND a gyro (because I can never decide) and I wear size 40 jeans. You heard me, 40! I may not have a "dikk-do" but I surely have a "sack-do". True clydesdales find manscaping and tying ice skates a chore.

I'll call a few out (the fakers that is):

Oggie (skinny fukker)
    Peter (Nogears) - only exceeds 200 when his ego is swollen from kids at Starbucks.

These pansies should be leading pelotons on the flats, yet they choose to humiliate the cardiovascular/mid-section impaired.

I feel a rant starting - I must go....

Screw them. The anti-fat.

Ed

Evil Jr.
    While it involves a different "tier" of corpulence, one of the reasons Floyd Landis was a "working-class" hero to me (aside from being a dorky kid raised in some backwater) was that we shared the exact same physical specs when he won the Tour: 5'10", 165. Shame about the testosterone.

mtbr member
    You may think that, I once did.

Cycling is filled with pseudo intellectuals, faux-pro's and anti-fat clydes. The latter category negatively affects you (us). There is a segment of society that chooses to race clydesdale, although the sum total of their mass, the mass of their sweat dampened clothes and mud riddled shoes may only exceed 200 pounds by a few miniscule ounces. On the pro tour they call them sprinters.

These people are here, among us, sand bagging or plotting to sandbag us, the truly fat.
    Oh dear,what have I unleashed? I confess, it was all meant in fun, I am not a podium hunter. I wasn't even down for the SS category at the Homage to Ice, and had I entered, I would have been 3rd. Truth be told, I consider the age categories to be fairly meaningless as well. Some people have good genes to be athletic past 40, some struggle.

The important thing is that we all go out and have fun. It sounds like you do, and for that I salute you regardless of the finish order.

mtbr member
    The final 2 km of the race gains 85-90 m depending on which tracklog I plot, although there are a few flat sections in it. No climb in the Don is of comparable length or elevation gain. In Toronto you'd need to hit up one of the access roads to the Scarborough Bluffs (check my "rides" link)

If you're just talking about the final pitch to the finish where you get into the crowd, the Loblaws climb up from the flats is about the same height and a wee bit steeper.

Ten days away. I'm starting to get twitchy.

mtbr member
    My legs are pre-cramping.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
    The final 2 km of the race gains 85-90 m depending on which tracklog I plot, although there are a few flat sections in it. No climb in the Don is of comparable length or elevation gain. In Toronto you'd need to hit up one of the access roads to the Scarborough Bluffs (check my "rides" link)

If you're just talking about the final pitch to the finish where you get into the crowd, the Loblaws climb up from the flats is about the same height and a wee bit steeper.

Ten days away. I'm starting to get twitchy.
    What about that long steep climb out of David Balfour park, how is it comparable to that?

I Strava Hamburgers
    At the hill's starting point I'll just be thinking about the cold beer waiting for me in my car... along with a bag of Doritos.... half way up the hill, the mental image of hugging the cold embrace of grass and getting off my bike will get me through. Near the top, the stars and inability to see will whisper softly to me that my time is near.

That's what I'm lookin forward to!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hidaniel
    What about that long steep climb out of David Balfour park, how is it comparable to that?
    Pfft - just come pre-ride it! It's a short drive from Toronto.

mtbr member
    I need to fedex some doritos and root beer to mr. & mrs. monster if they plan to have their cowbells on the finishing climb.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I need to fedex some doritos and root beer to mr. & mrs. monster if they plan to have their cowbells on the finishing climb.
    Oh, I think we could be convinced to have a supply with us. Which Doritos flavour are you into these days?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl
    Pfft - just come pre-ride it! It's a short drive from Toronto.
    That would be nice, if I had a car. I'm already planning on taking a VIA train just to get out there for the race. But by all means, if you want to pop by and pick me up for a preride, I'll keep my shoes by the door.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    That would be nice, if I had a car. I'm already planning on taking a VIA train just to get out there for the race. But by all means, if you want to pop by and pick me up for a preride, I'll keep my shoes by the door.
    Bummer. I would, except we're already right next to the course... VIA? Huh! I guess the GO doesn't really get that close. If you're feeling peppy after the race (ha!) you could try biking back to the Appleby station.

Anyway, it's steep, it's long, it's at the end of the race and most people get off, at least until they see the spectators. It'll be hard. But by then, you might not care, as it means it's almost over.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl
    Oh, I think we could be convinced to have a supply with us. Which Doritos flavour are you into these days?
    Cool ranch doritos and mill street organic for me, please...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Not sure, if you want to you can search that area for people's tracklogs on Garmin connect, although some of their elevation profiles may be suspect if they don't calibrate, as I often don't.

But to my knowledge, there is no climb in the entire downtown area that gains more than 45m or so.

If there is, I'd like to add it to my rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
    Not sure, if you want to you can search that area for people's tracklogs on Garmin connect, although some of their elevation profiles may be suspect if they don't calibrate, as I often don't.

But to my knowledge, there is no climb in the entire downtown area that gains more than 45m or so.

If there is, I'd like to add it to my rides.
    Not sure of the elevation gain as I don't even bother taking the Garmin anywhere with moderate tree cover. If you want to check it out the entrance is at South Dr. just before Craighleigh Gardens. It's not stupid steep but it is a decent length, good for a end of Don Valley ride if you're going back through downtown.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    My legs are pre-cramping.
    That is fear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

final climb is longer, steeper ( in places) narrower and muddier than the David Balfour Hill. The best comparison ( and the longest hill in the city) is the Brimley Rd Hill in scarborough starting from the very bottom past the yacht clubs by the lake. When you ride it, imagine it unpaved, rutted and muddy

We rode the finishing hill in Ancaster a few weeks ago before the last big snow dump, and it had a big erosion chasm in the middle of it, reducing the rideable line to somewhat spicy off camber singletrack in places. (picture the Millwood hill up to the bridge in the Don- Crowther's woods). I really wonder what it's going to look like now....does anyone know if it will it get regraded or maintained??
    You can see what it (and the rest of the route ) looked like last year for yourself - Neil Ireland from racedayrush.com posted his helmetcam footage of the entire race. I plowed through the whole thing, so for other P2A newbies like me, here is a summary of the bits that you'll wish you knew about:

1st hard right turn onto steep loose gravel hill @19 min
    muddy drainage ditch/ bottleneck @ 38
    typical dtrack and farmers roads @ 39 -40
    grab a banana and take the jump! @67.30-68.3
    two muddy descents @ 111-113
    the infamous mud [email protected] 131
    and the loooong finishing climb.. @ 137

NOTE- the video is streamed, so you'll have to open it in a separate window, leave it to buffer and come back in about 30 minutes in order to be able to FF through.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rckygrrl
    I really wonder what it's going to look like now....does anyone know if it will it get regraded or maintained??
    The main reason we choose to heckle riders rather than race P2A is that a lot of it is our weekly Monday night ride. I'll post a report on conditions early next week. It'll still be steep and you'll still be cramping but at least you'll know how wet it is in advance!

mtbr member
    The main reason we choose to heckle riders rather than race P2A is that a lot of it is our weekly Monday night ride. I'll post a report on conditions early next week. It'll still be steep and you'll still be cramping but at least you'll know how wet it is in advance!
    Hey GM,

Would you bring a CX bike (Kona Jake the Snake) or a Top Fuel if the conditions are somewhat wet?

Thanks!

Ming

Evil Jr.
    Hey GM,

Would you bring a CX bike (Kona Jake the Snake) or a Top Fuel if the conditions are somewhat wet?

Thanks!

Ming
    Don't forget I actually race CX so the answer for me is ride the crap out of the road sections and run whatever I can't ride otherwise (ie. leave the XC bike at home regardless of conditions). YRMV!

mtbr member
    Don't forget I actually race CX so the answer for me is ride the crap out of the road sections and run whatever I can't ride otherwise (ie. leave the XC bike at home regardless of conditions). YRMV!
    That's what I'm thinking too. I got a lot more road miles in this year before P2A than previous years, so I'm hoping to be able to push that 53 ring down the road and rail trail a bit more this year.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    That d*(#$ hill. Kicks me every time - never seem to have enough left for it (picture: big guy walking beside bike, bars supporting upper body, face down). So this year I have swapped the 53/39 for a much more friendly 50/34.
    Looking forward to drinking a very cold beer in the parking lot. Now I just have to decide what particular brew it will be.

mtbr member
    Took advantage of the Wave 1 upgrade. Time to get dropped like a bad habit!

Can't wait for the mudslide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Me too. This will be my second competitive event ever. My first is this Sunday - Tour of Bronte.

mtbr member

I'm hoping to jump to wave 2 this year. On the registration site, they said they'd have a table during registration. Do you know if I can attempt to upgrade on Saturday or Sunday? I bet wave 1 is going to start super fast, and I'm just not sure if I'm in good enough shape to do that yet

I've been doing a lot of base miles lately, but no intervals.

mtbr member
    For me I was in wave 3; had I been in wave 2, I would have been content and stayed. I figured wave 1 would hopefully reduce the chances of getting held back at road crossings to wait for cars.

You can definitely ask them. I think I read that if you show up a bit early on race day you can try to talk to them to get them to move you up a wave.

I Strava Hamburgers
    I figured wave 1 would hopefully reduce the chances of getting held back at road crossings to wait for cars.
    Wait what? They stop cars and stuff for other waves but wave 3 is different?

Can someone explain to me the difference between the waves apart from speed? Are they treated differently during the race by way of the above kinda thing.....

I think I'm missing something here.

mtbr member
    Wait what? They stop cars and stuff for other waves but wave 3 is different.

Can someone explain to me the difference between the waves apart from speed? Are they treated differently during the race by way of the above kinda thing.....

IMO, P2A is almost like a road race, where drafting can significantly help you. Most of the faster riders are in wave 1 and 2, so the faster guys in wave 3 a lot of times don't have good people to ride with. ie they faster guys are way ahead up the road, where as the people you caught are going too slowly.

In addition, there are more people in wave 3, so there are always a few bottlenecks during the race where it jams up, and everyone has to get off their bike and wait.

I started at the back of wave 3 for the past few years because I always get there too late, so I'm going to try to get to wave 2 this year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Wait what? They stop cars and stuff for other waves but wave 3 is different?

The road portions of the route are essentially closed for the Wave 1 riders. Wave 2 and 3 riders may have to wait for the police/marshals to stop traffic and let you through.

Wave 1 are the fast riders, and in theory, the better riders. They will mostly ride as a group, drafting one another, whereas Wave 2 and 3 will have lots of average joe riders - not riding at high speed, nor with the ability to draft, etc.

mtbr member
    I am making a gross generalization here, but in general the people racing and taking it a little more seriously are in wave 1, so on the course, they might get preferential treatment (and even more so for the lead group). In an event like P2A, the majority of the 1300 people are out for the challenge and being held up here and there is not as big of an issue.

I have marshaled for the P2A in the past, I can say that roads are not all closed, nor even all intersections overseen by police (for any of the waves). All riders are expected to obey the rules of the road unless otherwise instructed by a police officer (though sometimes they aren't even paying attention, ask the Monsters about the Squeezer). I was stationed after the powerline mudslide, at the corner of Gravel Pit Rd and Mineral Springs Rd. There is a stop sign and a right hand turn for riders, with cars traveling on Mineral Springs having the right of way.

That was messy and something I prefer not to do again. I had no authority to stop cars or allow riders to break the rules of the road (the stop sign), but responsibility to ensure the safety of everyone at that corner. Most cars and most riders were responsible, with cars happily stopping when a stream of riders were pouring onto the road or riders safely entering the intersection. There were however more than a few occasions when I was told off by riders for not stopping traffic (mostly those middle aged men battling for 250th), or had cars pass waiting traffic, then cyclists over a blind hill/corner.

So a reminder to everyone, only Police can stop traffic, or wave you through a intersection (and I wouldn't even trust them, take a look yourself). In all situations, the road is assumed open and follow the rules of the road.

mtbr member
    mostly those middle aged men battling for 250th

I lol'd. That is usually the case.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Ahhh.. Thanks for the explanation, makes sense now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    hey all, i registered to ask questions in here. i dont own a MTB -- yet, i suppose.

anyways, i have reasonably good cardio and a ss cross bike on 34c vittoria XG pros. i just bought the bike last winter[craigslist find] and have only about 120kms saddle time on it and almost no experience riding in sloppy conditions. i have never raced before and im in wave 2. am i going to die 42/16?[i have a 36t chainring but this feels WAAAAY too easy, even for me - i like to spin] is the final climb even doable at this ratio?

if you see this bike in the ditch, im the dead guy next to it.

[bike is 36/16 in this pic]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 416deckard
    hey all, i registered to ask questions in here. i dont own a MTB -- yet, i suppose.

anyways, i have reasonably good cardio and a ss cross bike on 34c vittoria XG pros. i just bought the bike last winter[craigslist find] and have only about 120kms saddle time on it and almost no experience riding in sloppy conditions. i have never raced before and im in wave 2. am i going to die 42/16?[i have a 36t chainring but this feels WAAAAY too easy, even for me - i like to spin] is the final climb even doable at this ratio?
    36/16 will probably be too easy. I ran 38/16 on my SS with cross tries last year and could have went to 40/42. You will spin way too much on the flats with a 36. As for the final climb - even if it is dry you will have to walk it. It gets too steep especially if you run a 42.

bi-winning
    Gear your SS for the flat, not the final climb. There is no shame in walking/jogging up the final hill, especially when you realize you are going about as fast as the guy beside you spinning up on his mountain bike in 22/34.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    thanks all. i figured i should gear for the flats where i actually have some skill. i figured worst case scenario i'd jog for all the muddy stuff

Lemmy Rules!

I rode the last 2 years on a converted 29'er with cross tires and a 42-16 gearing. That's the right gearing for this race, and you will be just fine. You won't make it up the final climb or the rocky hill after the first 10k of rail trail, but you won't be the only one walking, and you will be moving faster than a lot of the people still on on their bikes. I would 100% recommend against moving down to a 36-16 gearing.

By the way, nice bike.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hi all,

did this race in 08 on a fixed gear tri-frame with knobbies... 42x15, bad idea. The race was absolute torture.

got a CX bike this time around, what kinda tire pressure do you guys run for this race?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by one_gear
    Hi all,

did this race in 08 on a fixed gear tri-frame with knobbies... 42x15, bad idea. The race was absolute torture.

got a CX bike this time around, what kinda tire pressure do you guys run for this race?
    Any time I ride my CX bike on trails, I run the tires c*ck hard. It rattles me, but I don't like the risk of pinch flats that comes with lower pressures.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    I've never done this one, but until I get a cross bike, I don't think I will either.

I have a sorry lack of base training this winter anyway, so not too many early season races...
    Last edited by MTBmonster; 04-09-2011 at 07:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Any time I ride my CX bike on trails, I run the tires c*ck hard. It rattles me, but I don't like the risk of pinch flats that comes with lower pressures.

Eemm... good point. Maybe I should try a tubeless CX setup. Just got a set of Stans Alpha 340 rims for the roadie last week, and so far so good

mtbr member
    Eemm... good point. Maybe I should try a tubeless CX setup.
    It we get a lot of rain the days before, I may run hutchisons tubeless on ultegra rims. Otherwise, a file tread with a tube at pressure. Too much pavement and hardpack dirt roads for low pressure setups, IMO.

Lemmy Rules!
    The last 3 years, I have run 80 PSI and have not been unhappy with the results. Anything lower than that, and I suspect the roads sections of the course would seem too much like hard work...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Oh, the weather channel is forecasting a bit of rain on the race day. I'm going to start my anti-rain dance tomorrow

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    check. 42/16. 34Cs @ 80psi.

another question: im parking my vehicle at paris. friends and i had planned to ride back afterwards[its ~32kms if you take the most direct route so no big deal] dumb idea? actually regardless of what you all say, its happening so haha i guess we'll just deal with it.

mtbr member

Some P2A Reconnaissance

Went out for some gravel and light trail grinding this morning.

For those not local, here is the 'dreaded' final climb up Martin Rd. The upper half of the road is in great condition. There were cars using it to access Dundas Valley conservation area half way down, the lower half, which is 'closed' is a ridable mess, as usual.

Here is the road

The entrance to Martin Rd

The first half was a little sloppy, but easily ridable. The only place I got off was at the top of the steep little pitch shown in the distance. If I had gotten off into the leaves, I likely could have made it up. It should stay about the same condition unless we get significant rain the day before or race day.

Lower half is ugly, but again, easily ridden.

Upper half of the road. Cars were coming up and down, it's graded and in 'perfect' condition.

The steep section at the end. Normally pictures don't accurately portray steepness, this however seems to do a pretty good job

The end

The elevation profile. The entire road is almost 2 km long, however it's the section between 1.4 km (207m elevation) and 1.8 km (249 m) that seems to get people. And notably there is a 150 m section (1.6 - 1.75 km) that is a little nasty. See above picture. First time up in on a CX bike for me, no spinning like the MTB, but not too bad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    awesome. seeing these pics has me much more relaxed.

im totally fine with grinding it out as my cardio is good but i was super concerned it was going to be too technical for me. if this is the 'difficult' part im feeling much more confident.

confident like i'll finish and not die.

mtbr member
    awesome. seeing these pics has me much more relaxed.

im totally fine with grinding it out as my cardio is good but i was super concerned it was going to be too technical for me. if this is the 'difficult' part im feeling much more confident.

confident like i'll finish and not die.
    There are only a few tricky sections, but as far as a mtb race goes, it is barely technical. I have a friend that is legally blind with glasses, and even he thought about doing this race

It's always my legs that cramp up towards the end that gets me, so I wish I had better cardio. My advice would be don't go out too hard if you haven't put in a ton of miles.

sock puppet

soooooo, any reports from the field on

general conditions for the off-road and off-gravel road sections? Soft? Wet? Muddy?

How about mud slides?

Time to start considering tire selection.

Quote Originally Posted by nvandall

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    general conditions for the off-road and off-gravel road sections? Soft? Wet? Muddy?

How about mud slides?

Not sure about the actual course, but I can report that in the area, the frost is only just coming out of the ground. All the local conservation areas are closed to horses and cyclists and are really muddy/mucky. The rain today won't help. But it could all change by next weekend.

mtbr member
    Good idea. Let's take a look in the shed:

• 2.35" Kenda Nevegals
    • 2.35" Kenda Small Block 8s
    • 2.35" Maxxis Ignitors (UST)
    • 2.1" Kenda Small Block 8s

I could look at this in a negative way, but I prefer to I'm think that tire selection will not increase or decrease how much fun I have on this ride one way or another, and that I sould go with whatever's on the bike right now.

Another possibility is that since I'm not going to be going fast no matter what, I should mount the Nevegals and try to clean the mud chute. They are excellent when dealing with deep ruts, roots, and shoes dropped by hapless riders.

I have yet to hear anyone describe P2A as technical. Technical cyclocross to me means off-camber riding and especially off-camber turns, hairpins that require finess to complete with a minimum or absence of braking or loose climbs that need careful choice of line and weighting to keep the rear wheel from spinning out.

If your cardio is stellar, you have the luxury of choosing between two options: First, go so fast that you are in agony, but thanks to your cardio you are in agony ahead of everyone else in agony, or back off slightly and work hard but enjoy yourself in the middle of the pack.

The rest of us have to choose between being in agony in the middle of the pack or working hard off the back :-)
    Last edited by raganwald; 04-11-2011 at 07:03 AM.

I Strava Hamburgers
    If I had to choose from that list i'd go 2.1" SB8.

You could go Nevegals.... but I suggest leaving the leather and straps at the end of the race. We'll already know your a masochist if you bring those.

mtbr member
    If I had to choose from that list i'd go 2.1" SB8.

You could go Nevegals.... but I suggest leaving the leather and straps at the end of the race. We'll already know your a masochist if you bring those.
    I don't think it matters. There's a certain distance to be covered and a certain budget of wattage to be expended covering it. The choice of tyres within this narrow range of possibilities only changes the amount of energy turned into heat through rolling resistance, which in turn increases the total number of calories burned covering the distance and lowers the speed at maximum wattage, increasing the time required to cover the distance.

So with Nevegals, I will take longer to cover the course and burn more calories while expending the same effort per minute. In other words, I'll burn more fat on the Nevegals :-)

Evil Jr.
    You will want to commit seppuku after riding that far on pavement on Nevegals. Of the list you have, I'd use the 2.1 SB8s. Ultimately, it's your choice but don't say you weren't warned!

mtbr member
    You will want to commit seppuku after riding that far on pavement on Nevegals. Of the list you have, I'd use the 2.1 SB8s. Ultimately, it's your choice but don't say you weren't warned!
    The SB8s are on the wheels right now, so that's almost certainly what i'll be riding that w/e. That being said, I confess to a certain amount of trollish behaviour here. I was stoked to ride this until I went out to Ancaster a few weeks ago and rode the rail trail. After half an hour of flat, featureless riding I had lost all will to do the race.

Right now I'm thinking that if the heavens open and it's pouring rain on Sunday morning, I'll be there. If it's really nice weather with excellent, fast conditions then I'll bail on P2A. My fault, I should have done P2A years ago when I was into 700c.

p.s. I don't mean to suggest that I think P2A will be boring, which is an indirect way of insulting the people who are pouring blood and sweat into doing well. What I mean is, given my experience with racing, that a flat, fast race is mostly about the race, a little like Nascar where the tactics and strategies are the defining characteristics of the adventure. So my expectation is that what will make P2A great is the battle with the others of similar abilities. Who pulls? Who tucks? Who follows too closely and goes down then they bump wheels? Who is in with riders that are too strong and will be dropped? Who is in with riders that are too weak and will end up doing all the work? This is all exciting stuff, but not applicable to a duffer like me who is not up to your standard of excellence. I really should have done more research before signing up, I would have realized that I do not have the requisite speed or equipment to enjoy the adventure properly.
    Last edited by raganwald; 04-11-2011 at 09:09 AM.

Lemmy Rules!
    . I really should have done more research before signing up, I would have realized that I do not have the requisite speed or equipment to enjoy the adventure properly.

Wrong - it's a great spring tour with about 3,000 of your closest cycling friends. It's a great way to spend the day regardless of what you ride or how fast you ride it.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr Decade+
    I agree with unglued.

It is a citizen's race. This year I'm bailing on the P2A due to final exams and dire/desperate need of finding a job. However, both of my finishes (I cracked Top 1000 once) were meaningful and enjoyable.

Fretting over equipment is like peeing into the wind AND arcing the pee upwards. Just enjoy the moment.

FWIW, I used a RM Vertex, with ~1882 vintage IRC Mythos II's, both years, and felt they were a good choice.

Hey, it looks like warm & dry temps for the rest of the week. Slainte.

I Strava Hamburgers
    I will be fighting furiously for 874th place.

Evil Jr.
    I will be fighting furiously for 874th place.
    Look out 875!

sock puppet

new sport?

... arcing the pee upwards...
    feel free to post any youtube videos or graphic pics, please.

mtbr member
    feel free to post any youtube videos or graphic pics, please.

mtbr member
    I think he meant videos of the pee....

Lemmy Rules!

This year I'm bailing on the P2A due to final exams and dire/desperate need of finding a job.

Seriously? Reading your posts after the race (post-race posts?) are one of the highlights of this event for me. Can you just make one up or something?
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Video
    Never saw that before.

I'm the loser hacking my way down the right side at 1:54. Yep, I Iook pretty bad.

mtbr Decade+
    Seriously? Reading your posts after the race (post-race posts?) are one of the highlights of this event for me. Can you just make one up or something?

Sure.

It is exam week next week so it is either ride or celebrate like a monkey in a bountiful banana tree for stress relief.

If I take option "A" I'll write up a faux P2A report. If its option "B" - no report.

sock puppet

actually,

racing the pee upwards...

i'd pay to see that...

I think he meant videos of the pee....

mtbr member
    racing the pee upwards...

i'd pay to see that...
    Funny you guys should mention this. A few years back, I was with a group of 3-4 other riders that came up on a dude behind a sole, leafless tree, crouched down taking a full crunch. Poor guy didn't have much cover, but he assisted in a some laughter will hammering away at max speed! I was filming with the helmetcam, but it wasn't part of the post race footage...

mtbr member
    Wet: Wide Hutchison Bulldogs tubeless at 50-60PSI
    Dry: Narrow Vittoria XN File Treads tubed at 70-80PSI

Two inches of rain forecast Friday and Saturday, looking like option 1

mtbr member
    Wet: WTB Crosswolf
    Damp: WTB Crosswolf
    Dry: WTB Crosswolf

Evil Jr.
    Rode Martin Road last night. It's in great shape right now - completely rideable. With that forecast tho...

I Strava Hamburgers
    Wet: Dos Equis
    Damp: Dos Equis
    Dry: Dos Equis
    Snow: Dos Equis
    Apocalypse: Bud Light

mtbr member

I think you bought my bike!

Have a great race!
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny
    I think you bought my bike!

Have a great race!

if a guy in an audi uniform bought your bike then yes its me haha

thanks im pretty stoked although last night i had a dream i went OTB at speed in the woods.

mtbr member
    if a guy in an audi uniform bought your bike then yes its me haha

thanks im pretty stoked although last night i had a dream i went OTB at speed in the woods.
    that's the one...lol. You picked it up from my office.

Enjoy!
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

another question: im parking my vehicle at paris. friends and i had planned to ride back afterwards[its ~32kms if you take the most direct route so no big deal] dumb idea? actually regardless of what you all say, its happening so haha i guess we'll just deal with it.

with regards to this: does anyone see an issue with leaving my vehicle in the parking lot[is there a parking lot?] in paris? or can i expect a tow away?

is there any commercial locations with parking nearby that would be a better alternative?

thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    one more: the 'baggage transfer truck' -- everyone who is registered has access to this or is this only for those doing the bus? i was going to wear a small knapsack but if i can do a bag transfer that would be SUPER sweet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    thanks for the info, what kinda gearing do you guys run? which combo on average?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So I'm sitting at work thinking about the race on Sunday, wondering what i'm going to wear for the race. I checked the weather on my phone and it's calling for 70% chance of rain and only 7 degrees. I have never raced before, and rarely ride in the rain.

Any suggestions on what to wear, or buy for the race to keep me warm. I'll be doing the 35k. Any input Would be appreciated.
    Riding a Norco Fireball with Full XT
    Driving a 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC

mtbr member
    Wear something to block the predicted 45km per hour headwind.
    If you are warm and toasty at start,you will be sweating and then getting very very cold .
    don't over dress.
    micro weight wool long sleeve (or poly long sleeve or arm skins)then a riding jersey again wool (or poly )
    then a light(spring ) wind/rain jacket or vest
    your hands and feet may be the ones getting cold.
    Good luck on Sunday
    FAT since 09.
    Fatties are year round bikes!

Evil Jr.
    Wet, cold and windy are tough conditions but as long as you're moving along at a good clip, staying warm shouldn't be an issue.

Were I racing, I'd probably be wearing a poly undershirt, a long sleeve merino base layer, a regular jersey, a light shell, light running tights, regular bib shorts, poly liner socks, heavy merino socks, winter cycling boots and light windstopper gloves.

If you don't ride much in crappy conditions, that might sound like a long list of stuff you don't have but beyond equipment, THE number one thing you need to get through a race in conditions you don't like or know is a POSITIVE attitude. If you start worrying about being wet and cold, you will feel wet and cold. Focus on the finish line!

mtbr member
    Right now, Environment Canada is calling for 0-3 degrees with rain or snow. I don't mind that, but if it's a serious easterly wind, crap, that is going to be miserable.

Given that forecast, here is what I'll roll up to the line with.

Light weight merino wool hiking socks
    Waterproof winter riding shoes.
    Leg warmers
    Tights
    Bibs
    Sleeveless base layer
    Long sleeve heavy base layer
    Jersey
    Windproof vest
    Windproof, mid weight glove.
    Something to cover my ears (but not my head)

I will carry with me in case I need to layer up
    Ultralight weight windproof, water resistant jacket
    Second set of gloves
    Skull cap.

I commute year round, and hate rain gear, so being wet is not unfamiliar to me. I just try to wear things that don't absorb much water. That's a preference.

I would also look at your projected time and effort. 2 hrs at full tilt, you'll be warm with very little. As the time on course increases, exposure to the elements also increases and generally exertion will decrease, meaning you'll need a bit more clothes to stay comfortable.

My general rule for commuting, where I like to be cool and have moderate exertion is to stand outside and be uncomfortably comfortable. I'm not frozen, but I ain't warm. This translates well to racing where I exert more, but like to be warmer.

Worst case, if this is your first race and you are unsure of your time. Wear a small back pack with a couple extra layers. Shouldn't weight much, and worst case, you'll want them at the end of the race.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Embrocation. Great globs of it covering every part that matters (and, this is important, not even touching the parts that really matter).

A warm hat helps too.

But otherwise, I agree with garage monster. If I decide that I am not cold, then I will not be cold.

Wet, cold and windy are tough conditions but as long as you're moving along at a good clip, staying warm shouldn't be an issue.

Were I racing, I'd probably be wearing a poly undershirt, a long sleeve merino base layer, a regular jersey, a light shell, light running tights, regular bib shorts, poly liner socks, heavy merino socks, winter cycling boots and light windstopper gloves.

If you don't ride much in crappy conditions, that might sound like a long list of stuff you don't have but beyond equipment, THE number one thing you need to get through a race in conditions you don't like or know is a POSITIVE attitude. If you start worrying about being wet and cold, you will feel wet and cold. Focus on the finish line!

mtbr member
    I am feeling for some of you that are registered for this watching the weather reports. I opted out this year for the first time in some time, and won't regret it based on the forecast.

As a chronic weather watcher, I find Environment Canada forecasts to be rather weak compared to this...

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/schools/caonpoi1763514

This is a little more optimistic. No easterly winds, which would really suck large. But very strong it appears. Good luck folks!

mtbr member
    I think we have a chance of a big tailwind or crosstail.

I'm doing the St. G to Ancaster - I did the Dirt Dash with slicks on my Mtn Bike - 1.5 on front and 1.9 on back at 60 pounds pressure - I appreciated the speed boost!

Will that be suicide for the weekend? - by the time I get to the mud we're all walking anyways.

Someone asked about the Baggage Transfer Truck - available to all - bring a plastic bag - write race number on - It allows you to carry more stuff to the start and make a last minute decision what you actually race in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It often seems that until just a few days (and sometime hours) prior, the Weather Network employs a random weather icon generator for their forecasts. I too am a chronic weather watcher and, looking at the current randomly generated weather icons, I predict that it will rain on Saturday and might rain on Sunday. Or not.

I am feeling for some of you that are registered for this watching the weather reports. I opted out this year for the first time in some time, and won't regret it based on the forecast.

As a chronic weather watcher, I find Environment Canada forecasts to be rather weak compared to this...

This is a little more optimistic. No easterly winds, which would really suck large. But very strong it appears. Good luck folks!

mtbr member

I'm a chronic weather watcher as well for my commuting.

I find EC to the glass half empty, weathernetwork glass half full.

But, a south west wind, that will be gold compared to a NE

I'm not sure if the course changed much, but I did it in 2009 with a fierce north easterly. Last year was a southwesterly. In 2009, 200th place was 2:31, 2010, 2:15.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you want any chance of staying warm when it's cold and you're wet, don't stop. Even 30 seconds of inactivity will put you in a world of pain.

mtbr member

Me too.

Have fun folks....stay warm and keep the rubber side down.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    going to need buckets of positivity here. should turn out pretty epic this weekend, if we survive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

[bike is 36/16 in this pic][/QUOTE]

If anyone sees an ancient brown rocky mountain MTB in the ditch, I'll be the one speeding away on my nifty new Felt.

mtbr member
    20-30mm of rain on Saturday, it looks like we maybe in for a treat on Sunday.

5mm on Sunday doesn't bother me too much, I just hope it doesn't rain TOO much during the race.

Lemmy Rules!
    It occurs to me that Sunday will be the first time I've ridden a bike with gears in a race since 2006...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thank goodness for being too Fat and out of shape early in the season to have signed up for this chilly/damp/muddy fun!!

Good luck to all!!

I Strava Hamburgers
    God of Gears, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you will remember if we were good men or bad, why we rode, or why we bonked. No, all that matters is that many stood against a possibly nasty Paris to Ancaster. That's what's important. Valor pleases you, Gears, so grant me one request, grant me tailwind! And if you do not listen, then the hell with you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Weather Network is now saying 6 degrees and partially cloudy at race start time. Things are turning around weather wise.

mtbr member
    It occurs to me that Sunday will be the first time I've ridden a bike with gears in a race since 2006...
    Unless you count last year with your controversial ratio change. JUST KIDDING. Not opening that can of worms again. I love you Barry.

sock puppet
    I love you Barry.

I am happy for you guys...

mtbr Decade+
    Unless you count last year with your controversial ratio change. JUST KIDDING. Not opening that can of worms again. I love you Barry.
    I cleared him of all wrong doing. His doorhandle's remain pee-free.
    Last edited by Biggie; 04-15-2011 at 09:09 AM.

mtbr member
    I am happy for you guys...
    I love you too Oggie.

sock puppet

Louder mortal

Can't hear you...

God of Gears, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you will remember if we were good men or bad, why we rode, or why we bonked. No, all that matters is that many stood against a possibly nasty Paris to Ancaster. That's what's important. Valor pleases you, Gears, so grant me one request, grant me tailwind! And if you do not listen, then the hell with you!

mtbr member
    14Stone - I think the God of Gears actually may have heard you.

Not to curse it - but forecast does seem to be less wet than before

I Strava Hamburgers
    Good.

The CCM in the garage is getting nervous. Sacrifice would have been next.

mtbr member
    14Stone - I think the God of Gears actually may have heard you.

Not to curse it - but forecast does seem to be less wet than before
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSS it'll be mostly dry on Sunday

mtbr member
    Not to let a little secret out, but Barry has been riding to work with Gears for years....
    Not well mind you, but that's not the point

mtbr member

how's about we make it the A2P instead, first of all

the wind is out of the SE at 30 kliks, which means we would have a tailwind the whole way and the second thing is we start DOWN martin road. What say?

Lemmy Rules!
    Not to let a little secret out, but Barry has been riding to work with Gears for years....
    Not well mind you, but that's not the point

I will rip your legs off, little man. Bwa-ha-ha-ha
    Strava made me do it....

Lemmy Rules!
    I cleared him of all wrong doing. His doorhandle's remain pee-free.

Nspace just had to bring up the unfortunate dinglespeed incident...
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet
    ... little man. Bwa-ha-ha-ha
    that is cruel...

Single speed

Wicked tailwind it will be.

Good to see most of the usual suspects in this years P2A.

Checkin accuweather:
    http://www.accuweather.com/canada-fo...ent=6&metric=1

Looks like a wicked 43 km/h tailwind forecast. A little on the cooler side though.

Maybe a little spinny with my 42X16 with that much wind up my cape, I'm thinkin' I could use it for a sail though.

See ya all there!
    J

mtbr member

boy I'm glad you're right and I'm wrong on the wind, here

Quote Originally Posted by McGyver29er
    Good to see most of the usual suspects in this years P2A.

Checkin accuweather:
    http://www.accuweather.com/canada-fo...ent=6&metric=1

Looks like a wicked 43 km/h tailwind forecast. A little on the cooler side though.

Maybe a little spinny with my 42X16 with that much wind up my cape, I'm thinkin' I could use it for a sail though.

See ya all there!
    J
    http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0523

is the weathernetwork forecast and I must have read saturday not sunday.
    Now the world is right, finally,

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6CbQOLqZ8IA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0