Oylmpic course as ridden by Geoff Kabush- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Oylmpic course as ridden by Geoff Kabush

This site (Catseye) does not provide sound so don't be trying
    to crank your speakers .
    This site is the software/player for Catseye's new helmet cam .

INOU Atlas | 2012 Olympic Course

humber river advocate
    words fail me...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Evil Jr.
    Not loving the camera position. I got bored of looking at the back of Kabush's knees and stem and bailed after 2 minutes.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

trail gnome
    A video focusing on the technical sections....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/40LTmLI4JDI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Bring your Road-Bike Geoff!

ups and downs
    What I still don't get about all these "man made" technical features on courses, they seem to be created by a sadist (or TV producer), like the rock gardens with nasty sharp pointed rocks that are actually going to seriously injure a rider if they crash at speed.

This isn't supposed to be Death Race 2000, those technical features are supposed to challenge their skills not disable a rider. There's lots of ways to design technical trail surfaces that are a challenge to ride across and will cost them time if they mess it up, but a crash on one of these features is going to bottle up a lot of people behind them with no escape route, and trying to run around a bad crash in the narrow rock garden sections (depending where the course tape is) is likely going to result in more people falling over because they have no walking traction on the rocks.

Root carpets and buried roots and rocks that make the surface uneven and challenging can achieve that without spilling blood. The course designer should have spent some time in a place like Offenburg that has a challenging natural terrain.

Stuff like this requires some skills to get through fast, and might leave a bruise or scrape but won't likely break a bone if you get it wrong.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oylmpic course as ridden by Geoff Kabush-2012_0311new0005.jpg  

Oylmpic course as ridden by Geoff Kabush-2012_0405new0006-001.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Evil Jr.
    I agree. It seems especially odd the way the tech sections are walled-in with really big rocks. It's almost as if they're designed to cause a bottle-neck at some point and allow the top five or ten riders to really take off on the rest of the field. It's not really how selections are meant to be made.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Looks like it was built by a professional landscaper.

mtbr member
    I think the big nasty walls are all production value. The sharp nasty sections will look 10 times worse on TV when it is on air, compared to the fact that the actual line is not nearly as bad as the TV producers will make it look. It is to add some AWW to XC racing, riders going really fast and dropping off of what looks like really nasty rock gardens.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    cyclocross trail?
    Team Van Go

the older I get the better I was

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    but a crash on one of these features is going to bottle up a lot of people behind them with no escape route, and trying to run around a bad crash in the narrow rock garden sections (depending where the course tape is) is likely going to result in more people falling over because they have no walking traction on the rocks. .
    thanks to Rachel Atherton we have learned you can leave a course and re-enter at a different point if it offers no advantage, so riders could hoof it off course around a crash and be A-OK.

Members who have read this thread: 0