Out-of-towner in GTA for a day - what to ride- Mtbr.com

Out-of-towner in GTA for a day - what to ride

Hi folks.
    I'm going to be in Vaughan this Tuesday for work and will most likely have a free afternoon to kill. Home base will basically be the 400/407 intersection. I've never ridden in the GTA or for that matter anywhere in Ontario; could someone recommend a must-ride 2-hour +/- ride that's fairly easy to navigate? I'll have a car, and I don't mind driving north as far as roughly Caledon/Orangeville. For reference, my typical rides are teeth chattering rocky-as-hell Pennsylvania, and I will bring either a 26" full squish trail bike, or a rigid 29 SS depending on any feedback over the next 10 hours when I leave.
    Thanks in advance!

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    For SS I would recommend Albion hills. Not sure how easy to navigate if you don't know it. Most places in Ontario have many short trails.

Rocky as hell? Agreement Forest in Campbellville (west of Milton on the 401). That one can be done on SS but 90% of of people in there are on duallies. I'd recommend using Trailforks app and having a GPS.

Can't do afternoon but might be able to swing you lights for a night ride at Albion.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'd say 29er SS and ride at Albion, which is the closest to your home base. Get a map, or use trails forks and ride all the trails for a few hours.

https://trca.ca/wp-content/uploads/2...lls-Summer.pdf

It will be totally different from your home riding, which I'd imagine would be a nice change for you? It's smooth, fast, rolling terrain and very SS friendly.
    Straight outta Rossland

Thanks, SS it is, and yeah smooth and fast sounds good. Will probably try Albion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    With no traffic, it's a one hour drive to the Hydro cut in Kitchener. Great riding and easy to navigate, well signed.
    https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.78...3.450301?hl=en

^ Wow, Hydrocut looks really sweet. I don't know if I'll make it there tomorrow, but will be keeping it in mind for next time.

mtbr member
    One thing about the GTA, "no traffic" is just about never!. Driving on the 407 should be ok (but expensive). Hwy 401 westbound traffic is slow from Toronto Airport to Milton starting around 3:00 pm until around 7:00 pm on a typical day, making Halton Forest an issue if you don't get there by 3:00. Albion should be no problem to get to!