Our ride today (Hard wood hills)- Mtbr.com
    LBS Manager

Our ride today (Hard wood hills)

The first pic is of Mikes tube bulging through the tire before the ride. Unbelievable that it held for a lap of serious, gnarly and side winder. The rest of the pics are just our group having fun on the coffee run. Andrew TO, Merdoff, Mike and me taking the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

LBS Manager
    one more
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oh man, i'm sooo beat after that! That was a long 2.5 hours of riding. Not enough fuel in the tank for all of it. I was good up untill the last trail - Sidewinder. It was blatantly obvious that I was running on empty at that point!

That pic of me (the coat rack on the NRS) ..... I was sure I would be going down that spot on my face, arms, chest and whatever body parts would fit under and through the bike. Surprisingly I made it down in one piece.

Great company, as always. Riding with this group is always enjoyable and even educational ..... and tiring! I always look forward to the workout, taunting and support.

Good trails. The last time I was at Hardwood was about 12 years ago. Yeah, today was a nostalgia trip for me. If I lived closer i'd go more often. (i'd go to Kolapore more though )

Thanks to all for today. It was great!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

bi-winning
    Hardwood is my favourite trail i have ridden. Quite far though for me. I have only ridden there about 3 times, but each time was a blast.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Misfit Psycles
    sorry guys i cant make it...thanks for the invite...

you guys cant come on my death loop yesterday...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Muskoka

dump smell?

I'm curious.... how bad is the dump smell there in summer? I would think it would be even worse in summer than winter. But I haven't bike there at all since Buckwallow opened ( I live a few minutes from Buckwallow) but I used to ski there lots and some days the smell would gag me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    I'm curious.... how bad is the dump smell there in summer? I would think it would be even worse in summer than winter. But I haven't bike there at all since Buckwallow opened ( I live a few minutes from Buckwallow) but I used to ski there lots and some days the smell would gag me.
    I usually have a pretty sensitive shnozola. Heck, it's big enough! I didn't notice the dump smell at all. Actually, if it hadn't been for the screaming seagulls, asking about them and being told about the dump, I wouldn't even know there was a dump there. (shrug)

That's just my nose though. Other beak's may vary.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

sock puppet

was there on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    I usually have a pretty sensitive shnozola. Heck, it's big enough! I didn't notice the dump smell at all. Actually, if it hadn't been for the screaming seagulls, asking about them and being told about the dump, I wouldn't even know there was a dump there. (shrug)

That's just my nose though. Other beak's may vary.
    got hit by hail storm on my way back - had to pull over and wait for the hail to pass by...

no smell - just great trails and lot of fun...

sock puppet

you cant make it WHERE?

Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    sorry guys i cant make it...thanks for the invite...

you guys cant come on my death loop yesterday...
    are you coming out for a race Tuesday? i think many people will stay home due to extreme heat... anyone else?

i will surely be there... contemplating racing in speedo's...

okay, okay... maybe not...

Student
    i really want ot try riding there. i know rkj___ and he always says good thing about it. makes me want to hit it up even more!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

Mar 2006
    just depends on the way the wind is blowing.....it's not that putrid 'pukey' type smell you get from some city dumps, but it still isn't great.....not bad enough to make you wanna hurl, or ruin your appetite.....but enough to make you realize there is a dump there...

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by hossy
    just depends on the way the wind is blowing.....it's not that putrid 'pukey' type smell you get from some city dumps, but it still isn't great.....not bad enough to make you wanna hurl, or ruin your appetite.....but enough to make you realize there is a dump there...
    Each time if have ridden there the wind was fortuneately blowing in the "right" direction.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by hossy
    Huh.. and all this time I thought the smell came from riding behind Motoman771.. Guess you learn something new everyday! >
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Looking for Adventure

Thanks for the inspiration

to go out and ride Hardwood this past weekend. I haven't ridden there in 2 years, which I am embarrassed to say .
    It all came back though.....the thrill and excitement of classic trail systems like Hardwood. They are just as knarly and difficult as I remember . Not sanitized and safe like most trail systems today (Albion being an example) . There are still many Hardwood trail sections that force you to think and concentrate, or you fall and hurt yourself. It was refreshing!!
    And I remember many of the trail sections from 24 hour races of days gone by where surviving your lap was a top priority!

I will be going to Hardwood more often, and the $12 fee should not deter you guys who ride multi-thousand dollar bikes.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    I will be going to Hardwood more often, and the $12 fee should not deter you guys who ride multi-thousand dollar bikes.
    Ya it is a little ironic that some people are willing to pay $700 for a fork, but not $12 to ride. But of course, not everybody likes hardwood. That's fine.

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Ya it is a little ironic that some people are willing to pay $700 for a fork, but not $12 to ride. But of course, not everybody likes hardwood. That's fine.
    I would go more often and not complain about the fee so much if they kept the trails (particulaly gnarly) in better shape and stayed open latter so you could go after work.

mtbr member
    I don't mind the cost, but I agree, being open later would be a big plus, closing at 5 or 6, there is still a good 3 or 4 hours of daylight!

Members who have read this thread: 0