Ottawa bike rental recs- Mtbr.com
    The Other F Word
    Jan 2005

Ottawa bike rental recs

Hi!

I'll be in Ottawa next Monday and am planning to ride at Kanata Lakes. I've never been there and really have no idea what kind of riding to expect - seems there's a range of everything? I'm a pretty solid XC rider, not so into drops and skinnies.

Bike questions:
    FS or HT?
    Good rental shops?
    Rental shops to avoid?

Thanks, and maybe I'll see some of you out there.

gabrielle
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Hi gabrielle,

So since I live in Ottawa, I don't really know much about renting a bike here but I do know Phat Moose had a 29er they were renting/demo-ing (not sure the size). They are awesome guys if that makes any difference. This place also rents decent bikes too but I don't know anything about them, just found them with google.

For KL a lot of people ride 29er HT's but most people ride full suspension. Either would be fine but if you're not used to rocky drops and rough trail, I'd go FS. The trails closer to the K2 parking are easier but if you make it onto Ridge or Outback, it's fairly advanced riding. You can always get off and walk any drops though. Note that KL is very easy to get lost but here is a map. I'd offer to help but I'm not available Monday.

Unfortunately it's going to rain all weekend so might want to be mindful of trail conditions, it's fairly delicate in there... the friendly people of OMBA, who maintain the trails, could help you with that and you might even find a trail guide too. If it's too wet in KL but you really want to ride, you might want to try trail 1 in the gatineau park. Somewhat mundane doubletrack but if you want to be on your bike, it works.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    I have used this company many times in the past while visiting Ottawa. Several times I rented bikes for several weeks (its cheaper by the week) and taken them all over Canada. They usually have a decent fleet of fairly new but not quite high end mountain bikes. The last time I used them their fleet was mostly Giants ... which were decent bikes and more than capable for a day at Kanata Lakes.

http://rentabike.ca/rentabike/en/files/index.php

mtbr member
    FYI - They usually have a few mtb bikes that are not listed on their website (Giant Trance etc.) I would give them a call and see what they have available...

The Other F Word
    Jan 2005
    Thanks, ya'll! I'll probably go with Rentabike, as Phat Moose's rental is a bit big for me.

It'll be my first time on a 29er...if you see somebody out there flailing around, come say hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrielle
    It'll be my first time on a 29er...
    Uh-oh, better budget a new bike for next season. Once you go 9er...there's no looking back!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Members who have read this thread: 0