OT: Who's doing Warrior Dash

Okay, so a co-worker just sent me this.

http://www.warriordash.com/

Ontario event July 3 at Horseshoe.

http://www.warriordash.com/register2011_ontario.php

Oh, i can see the trail damage already.

Who's in.

Evil Jr.
    Wow, I HATE running but that looks like a lot of fun. Kinda like the Mud Run on steroids!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Wow, I HATE running but that looks like a lot of fun. Kinda like the Mud Run on steroids!
    Same. I despise running. but this does look pretty epic. and cycling fitness does transfer over, right?
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hmm... I sense weakness.

You know.. I can create a way better course and charge way less. T

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    and cycling fitness does transfer over, right?
    I wish. If it did I'd be able to run for more than 5 minutes without dropping dead.
    Unfortunately the only way to get good at running, is running.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius
    Unfortunately the only way to get good at running, is running.
    Actually, I found that wasn't true. When I was an active paddler, we were on our own as far as cross-training was concerned. I chose MTB racing while most of my team mates opted for running.

One year, they dared me to enter a 10k as a "team building exercise", presumably to watch me crash and burn. It turns out that with NO training whatsoever, I turned in a perfectly competitive time. Running is for wimps (and people who haven't yet figured out wheels).
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Actually, I found that wasn't true. When I was an active paddler, we were on our own as far as cross-training was concerned. I chose MTB racing while most of my team mates opted for running.

One year, they dared me to enter a 10k as a "team building exercise", presumably to watch me crash and burn. It turns out that with NO training whatsoever, I turned in a perfectly competitive time. Running is for wimps (and people who haven't yet figured out wheels).
    You're a rare, lean, mean running machine as cycling fitness doesn't typically transfer over that well. Cycling has little impact on the joints and body compared to running, and the lighter you are, the better the results.

Personally, I haven't the slightest clue what sort of rush you get from running, unless you are being chased for something you did that was off base. There's no speed element or burms to hammer so it's perplexing to me what constitutes making it fun, but it's bigger than cycling in it's user demographic.

Being a runner without training has a lot to do with body mass dynamics, especially if you are already fit. But who the hell really wants to run anyway. It's a snorefest to say the least.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    You're a rare, lean, mean running machine as cycling fitness doesn't typically transfer over that well. Cycling has little impact on the joints and body compared to running, and the lighter you are, the better the results.
    It may in fact have something to do with single-speeding. Runners typically DIE going uphill while I was perfectly happy to dip into the "red" zone to get to the top and "coast" down the back side. YRMV!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

If I vere try to drag you out for a run. Don't.

Last time I took anyone out from my team trail running... they refuse to join me anymore.

Lemmy Rules!
    I spent the first half of this decade running marathons and half marathons. Since I have gotten serious about biking, I wouldn't run if you paid me. I don't even run to catch public transportation.
    Strava made me do it....

namagomi
    Being a runner without training has a lot to do with body mass dynamics, especially if you are already fit. But who the hell really wants to run anyway. It's a snorefest to say the least.
    Everytime i've dabbled in running i feel like i'm travelling along at a snail's pace... About cardiovascular fitness, it transfers over of course, but the muscles used and the bio-mechanics are different.

Saying all that, I think the closest sport to riding is xc skiing... so maybe a new event can be born. Snow-shoe, ride and then ski!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Everytime i've dabbled in running i feel like i'm travelling along at a snail's pace... About cardiovascular fitness, it transfers over of course, but the muscles used and the bio-mechanics are different.

Saying all that, I think the closest sport to riding is xc skiing... so maybe a new event can be born. Snow-shoe, ride and then ski!
    These existed a few years ago, put on by some of the adventure racing groups in Ontario - they were called winter adventure races. I remember volunteering at a couple, one at Albion and one at Hardwood. AR in Ontario has decreased dramatically over the last couple years though, and winter racing is no exception. From a google search, doesn't look like there has been one since 2007 or 2008.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    If I vere try to drag you out for a run. Don't.

Last time I took anyone out from my team trail running... they refuse to join me anymore.
    Careful, I also held the team record for the Grouse Grind!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued
    I spent the first half of this decade running marathons and half marathons. Since I have gotten serious about biking, I wouldn't run if you paid me. I don't even run to catch public transportation.

My people have an ancient Celtic word for people like you. Quitter.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Careful, I also held the team record for the Grouse Grind!

Ah, yes the Grouse Grind. More of a grind dealing with all Lemmings who jumped onto it because it became popular. And not doing the popular thing is bad.

The BCMC trail just right of the grind is way better by the way.

Lemmy Rules!
    My people have an ancient Celtic word for people like you. Quitter.

I should also add that thanks to running, I have the left knee of an 80-year-old man, and he wants it back.
    Strava made me do it....

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RunRideSki
    These existed a few years ago, put on by some of the adventure racing groups in Ontario - they were called winter adventure races. I remember volunteering at a couple, one at Albion and one at Hardwood. AR in Ontario has decreased dramatically over the last couple years though, and winter racing is no exception. From a google search, doesn't look like there has been one since 2007 or 2008.
    Actually, there was one this year at Hardwood.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    yeah, the hardwood race was a blast this year. They are pretty keen on running it again next year.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Actually it does. The earobic and anerobic training results are the same. That is not the problem that is missed. As John Howard the great American cyclist learned at the Ironman back in 1980 in his first IM the problem is running technique. And the body being used to the activity. He had the engine just the frame it was powering was not ready to run.

However he did spend the time on technique and adapting to the impact. As proven 11 months later with the win in 1981.

Personally, I haven't the slightest clue what sort of rush you get from running, unless you are being chased for something you did that was off base. There's no speed element or burms to hammer so it's perplexing to me what constitutes making it fun, but it's bigger than cycling in it's user demographic.
    Running on road is about as stimulating as watching paint dry. The fun is when one goes trail running.

Being a runner without training has a lot to do with body mass dynamics, especially if you are already fit.
    That and the fact your running technique has not been fracked up by the voodoo science of running shoe makers.

gentle like
    Running on road is about as stimulating as watching paint dry. The fun is when one goes trail running.
    Absolut.

Just to be the (honest) contrarian in this thread, I never had the slightest interest in running until a friend invited me to do this big long crazy run in Iceland back in 2008. I had been mtb'ing for 15 years at that point. It looked like an amazing experience, and so I decided to give it a go ... from zero to 55km in ten months.

After a couple of months of training for the run (on trails), I realized that I had found my true love. Don't get me wrong, mountain biking is great, and still do it ... as a change up from running. But trail running is just ... it's just absolute perfection for me. It's just so pure (though no, I don't do the whole 'barefoot running' thing).

These days when I see an amazing trail, I don't picture myself riding it. Not really ever.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Running, the only activity people do where they will not seek help in doing it better. People will hire a golf pro to improve their swing, a swim coach to improve their swimmming, and a cycling coach to improve their bike racing.

Yet think will swallow voodoo science when it comes to foot wear and quit because they don't run well. Yet will not seek out the same type of help as they would for any other sport they will do.

Steady Creepin'
    Quote Originally Posted by kept man
    Absolut.

Just to be the (honest) contrarian in this thread, I never had the slightest interest in running until a friend invited me to do this big long crazy run in Iceland back in 2008. I had been mtb'ing for 15 years at that point. It looked like an amazing experience, and so I decided to give it a go ... from zero to 55km in ten months.

After a couple of months of training for the run (on trails), I realized that I had found my true love. Don't get me wrong, mountain biking is great, and still do it ... as a change up from running. But trail running is just ... it's just absolute perfection for me. It's just so pure (though no, I don't do the whole 'barefoot running' thing).

These days when I see an amazing trail, I don't picture myself riding it. Not really ever.
    I've taken up trail running this season myself. I figured it was another way to burn calories and get more use out of all the trails we have here in London that are off limits to MTB's, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it a lot more than I expected. Glad I started..

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    For any of you runners out there,

A condensed version of

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/he...service=mobile

The book that is worth reading whether you are a runner or not. Some of the info in it is transferable to cycling and triathlon as well. Trust me..this book is worth it.
    http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...by&ikwsec=Home

The irony of this book being out now is alot of the info in it we used to do. Frank Shorter, Pre, Dave Scott, Brian Maxwell to name a few.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I signed up and I hate running. Just doing it for fun so will run what I can which will be less the five minutes and walk. I think the date is July 9 not 3 or is my eyesight getting real bad. Which it is unfortunately. It looks like a fun day so might as well go for the fun.

mtbr member
    Running, the only activity people do where they will not seek help in doing it better. People will hire a golf pro to improve their swing, a swim coach to improve their swimmming, and a cycling coach to improve their bike racing.

Yet think will swallow voodoo science when it comes to foot wear and quit because they don't run well. Yet will not seek out the same type of help as they would for any other sport they will do.
    I don't know if I can agree with this, all you have to do is look at the size of the groups for The Running Room clinics, There is way more books on training for running then there is for biking.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jrastories
    I don't know if I can agree with this, all you have to do is look at the size of the groups for The Running Room clinics, There is way more books on training for running then there is for biking.
    They only cover a quarter of the equation. Plus running room is geared around one thing.. making money by selling product. Simple.

The large area the books and Running Room places do not cover is skill and technique. This is an area that will improve one's running more then a pair of shoes ever will. Basically learning to learn to run well means one needs to improve their technique. And area pretty much neglected.

Alot of issues and pain the average runner experiences are technique oriented. And area that can lead to great improvement and enjoyment of the activity. Let's look at a easy example.. my wife Joely.

She tried to run with the shoes they told her she needed. Yet had the same problems prior to the running store. When I ran with her the first thing I noticed was she was running more like a sprinter then a distance runner. As soon as changed her body angle half the problems disappeared.

Running Room and those running books never cover these little details. Well, Born To Run has lots of info on it.

I could go on and on. But I'm coming at this from a coaching perspective of actually wanting to see one improve. Not to sell you new shoes every 6 months or another shirt.

mtbr member
    People do what is the easiest way to improve their game, and for most people it is joining one of these running groups, to them it is taking steps in the direction of becoming a better runner. That is all I am saying. I know the importance of coaching in running as well as in cycling. There is the one easy thing to do is to increase volume and that is what running groups do, as well as books. Then you can focus on a lot of the little details if you are motivated to do that.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

gentle like
    Quote Originally Posted by LuMach
    I've taken up trail running this season myself. I figured it was another way to burn calories and get more use out of all the trails we have here in London that are off limits to MTB's, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it a lot more than I expected. Glad I started..
    Cool! There's a really fun run down in Londontown come the fall - Vulture Bait.

http://www.vulturebaitrace.com/

Not being a Londoner meself, it was a much prettier run that I was expecting. If you didn't feel like getting all 'cross racing come the fall, and were looking for a slightly different something to train for ...

I just got back from my first 10k in almost a month, thanks to a really bad ankle roll playing volleyball. It's been four weeks of heat, ice, repeat, and at last I was able to (relatively) comfortably find my stride again. I can't say it was really a good run, but hey, for me running is on that list along with sex and pizza ...

Steady Creepin'
    Quote Originally Posted by kept man
    Cool! There's a really fun run down in Londontown come the fall - Vulture Bait.

http://www.vulturebaitrace.com/

Not being a Londoner meself, it was a much prettier run that I was expecting. If you didn't feel like getting all 'cross racing come the fall, and were looking for a slightly different something to train for ...

I just got back from my first 10k in almost a month, thanks to a really bad ankle roll playing volleyball. It's been four weeks of heat, ice, repeat, and at last I was able to (relatively) comfortably find my stride again. I can't say it was really a good run, but hey, for me running is on that list along with sex and pizza ...
    Totally forgot about that! I've seen the vulture bait signs up before at Fanshawe but never gave it a second thought. Definitely interested now that I've added running into the mix, thanks for the heads up. I've ridden that 25k loop on my MTB countless times but never thought to run it, wow that would be tough, but definitely fun.

gentle like
    They only cover a quarter of the equation. Plus running room is geared around one thing.. making money by selling product. Simple.

The large area the books and Running Room places do not cover is skill and technique. This is an area that will improve one's running more then a pair of shoes ever will. Basically learning to learn to run well means one needs to improve their technique. And area pretty much neglected.

Alot of issues and pain the average runner experiences are technique oriented. And area that can lead to great improvement and enjoyment of the activity. Let's look at a easy example.. my wife Joely.
    Very similar story here. After spending a couple hours and going through technique (and ten shoe options) at a quality running shop over here Mrs. Kept is running without foot or knee pain for the first time ... ever? She could not believe how great her half marathon a couple weekends ago went.

Of course, her willingness to finally recognize the importance of not just buying shoes that are on sale, and using old (worn out) biking socks was also a key turning point in this process.

Alternatively on the technique end of things, the number of folks I have seen this spring out pounding away with their heels in their Vibram five fingers or Merrel or Keen (or whoever) barefoots ... oh, the humanity. It would be bad technique in big cushy big drop trainer, but in barefoots? I wince at every sighting.

gentle like
    Quote Originally Posted by LuMach
    Totally forgot about that! I've seen the vulture bait signs up before at Fanshawe but never gave it a second thought. Definitely interested now that I've added running into the mix, thanks for the heads up. I've ridden that 25k loop on my MTB countless times but never thought to run it, wow that would be tough, but definitely fun.
    I really liked the loop - had never been to Fanshawe before, and it was much prettier than I was expecting.

mtbr member
    It may in fact have something to do with single-speeding. Runners typically DIE going uphill while I was perfectly happy to dip into the "red" zone to get to the top and "coast" down the back side. YRMV!
    Just did the dash down here in Maryland this past weekend and had an absolute blast! Some of the steep inclines they threw at us definitely put me in my singlespeed mind-set and it wasn't too bad at all. It was interesting to see how the runners struggled with recovery from the vertical obstacles. Not sure if mtn biking gives you an advantage in climbing rope walls or hay stacks but it seems like it works on some portion of your arms/upper body during the tougher climbs. The biggest thing I took away from the experience was how much my "singlespeed mind-set" helped to push me through the pain and agony during some parts of the race. No gears to think about, it's just you, the trail, and your mind. When it hurts like hell, push even harder (without injuring yourself ofcourse )

I try to balance mtn biking and running as best as I can and I'd say they the two are different animals. The cardio/endurance carries over but to an extent since the pace, muscles involved, and breathing is quite different. I love both for different reasons.

All fat, all the time.
    Did my first warrior dash this past weekend here in Indiana.

It was a blast.! mud, beer, turkey legs, women in tight outfits.....sweet I am not a runner (hate it actually), but enjoyed every minute of the event.

We did a "no drop" group outing so it was slow going, but my "no running" training helped out haha, felt great after. next year I will actually see how fast i can do it.

Members who have read this thread: 0