• 08-11-2011
    raganwald
    OT: Optimism, and how it relates to bickering
    Optimism

I wrote this essay a while back when I was dealing with some personal issues. The preamble wonít make very much sense if you arenít a part of certain fringe software development culture, sorry about that. And you folks seem to be fine, well-adjusted cyclists with absolutely no need for advice from anyone, especially me, on how to manage their emotions.

However, I thought you might find the concluding parapgraphs interesting in light of recent bickering on the forum. I really think that the world is a better place when we are careful to praise each other as people and save our criticism for our arguments.

But thatís just my view, take it for what you will.
  • 08-11-2011
    garage monster
    Always interesting to learn about what helps people get over rough patches. When I'm down, I try to isolate the main thing that's bumming me out and compartmentalize it. That way I can deal with it on it's own without having it affect the rest of my mood (and mind). :)

If that doesn't work, there's always music (:thumbsup:):

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UBkw8QQsE8w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And cute pictures of cats (:D):

• 08-11-2011
    dhpunk~
    Quote:

Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    And cute pictures of cats (:D):

....that kitten has been submitted by rear naked choke.

:D
  • 08-11-2011
    electrik
    I saw the words programming and Ruby on the mtbr - vomited by reaction - promptly checked a dirty IT hipster wasn't trying to make me write it and then closed the thread shuddering. :thumbsup:

Time to ride a bicycle!
  • 08-12-2011
    jmoote
    Thanks for this Reg. The particular anecdotes are easily translated to something those of us outside the programming world can relate to (ok, maybe I'm not completely outside, but anyway...)

It took a couple reads to really sink in, but I think it's well worth it and very well said.