OT Friday Fun Quiz: CBC Vote Compass- Mtbr.com
    Evil Jr.

OT Friday Fun Quiz: CBC Vote Compass

So here's a fun way to burn a few of those drab Friday minutes: the CBC Vote Compass!

If you're like me, you sit there in front of the election coverage and just scratch your head. I did the quiz and it turns out I'm almost exactly equal parts Liberal and Conservative (fiscally conservative and socially liberal) which is funny because I've been voting NDP federally for years! I guess I'm SO contrarian I even vote against myself! Ha!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

I dd what you see there.
    I'm very afraid about the future of Politics in this country.

How is it that the Conservatives and the Liberals who have routinely failed at their chance with power over the last decade, are still so arrogant to believe that they need a one on one debate, together??!?!?!? When did Politics become monopolized? Greens don't have a seat so that means no one wants to hear from them?? I think now more than ever people DO want to hear what they and other alternatives have to say.

It about time the people let Ignatieff and Harper know that due to their parties' transgressions they're in hot water so to speak. After all the "back door deals" - scams - severance packages (er golden handshakes) and dirty deals, from them, they're the LAST ones I want to hear from. I'd actually fully support a debate that ONLY includes the NDP, The Bloc, The Greens, and all the others that probably won't get any votes but being that we live in a free and democratic country SHOULD have their chance to mount the soapbox too.

I've also heard many people saying how they're sick of the leaders being Lawyers and Professors and other philanthropists. We need a leader from the people who have a mortgage, a car or student loan, who are subject the crazy costs of living, ride public transportation - the honest working class (not the commie bleeding hearts that run the unions - sorry I just don't think a labourer who pushes a broom for 10 years deserves the same as a skilled tradesmen).
    Last edited by XLNC; 04-01-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Evil Jr.
    The nice thing about our local debate is that they include ALL the candidates, even the nutty ones. I think our last ballot even had a Communist Party candidate. She seemed like a nice enough young lady but I think she only ended up with something like 17 votes.
    Last edited by garage monster; 04-01-2011 at 09:14 AM.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

I dd what you see there.
    That is nice, but locals also fail to accurately represent who will run the country.

Look at Hamilton. We voted NDP last time and we didn't exactly make out like bandits with the Government handouts or support.

In fact it sure was nice that all levels of Government seemed to abandon us when US Steel came in an offered a modest (albeit a criminally short) CBA and now that it's expired so soon (imagine that) they cannot offer anything comparible and all of the sudden there's a "labour dispute" and they need to lock out their employees.

Evil Jr.
    Speaking of the NDP in Hamilton...

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/raVGS3IyCQk?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/raVGS3IyCQk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Steady Creepin'
    I think Harper recently backed out of the one-on-one debate idea..

Yeah, I'm not so sure about the accuracy of that compass thingy either, according to it I'm a definite Liberal, although I've always voted NDP as well. Ironically though, in my current riding it looks like I'm going to have to hold my nose and actually vote Lib strategically.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I can side with the thinking that if you don't have a seat in the government you don't get into the debate. Getting a seat is earning your spot at the table. Where do you draw the line on all the small parties? Number of votes?

I have not done the quiz yet, my girlfriend did it earlier in the week and gripped about how there isn't really enough depth in the questions.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I feel this sums up the present election best.

My mother in law emigrated to Canada about 1966 or 1967. This woman has voted Liberal party since that day. Her statement a week ago shocked Joely and the rest of the family. She said that if she leaves the house in May to vote. She will be voting Conservative. She commented that this is becoming stupid and we are idiots for wanting to have so many elections so fast.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    This election has nothing to do with what the voters want nor what Canada needs. This is about the parties forwarding their own agenda's.

For the Liberal's this is pretty much a strategy to get rid of Ignitief. If they had any testicles they would have said enough is enough taken responsibilty and told him it's time to step aside. By going to election they can blame the voters for their downfall.

All this is going to do is make more Canadians apathetic and pay less attention. One can only listen to fear this, fear them, and so on for so long before they stop paying attention.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    I have not done the quiz yet, my girlfriend did it earlier in the week and gripped about how there isn't really enough depth in the questions.
    I did find the questions fairly leading but I did try to answer honestly and at the end of the day, it's just for fun. Nobody's gonna want to sit through a freakin' GMAT just to see which way they lean!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm just bummed that there isn't a Marijuana Party candidate in my riding, who am I going to vote for on my throwaway protest vote?

I look at the current policies of the main parties and they're all garbage, none of them address the current and future issues which our country faces, or if they do it's only in a superficial manner or one which is physically or mathematically impossible. We have $75 billion backdoor bailout for the banks among other things and no one talks about these issues. The NDP and Green Party thinks we can run the country on sunshine & unicorns, their energy policy is beyond stupid and will put us back 100 years. And the Liberals are just a useless mess at this point. I might as well vote for the Marxist-Leninist Party if they have a candidate in my riding.

This will be the second federal election where there isn't a party which sucks less and is in any way deserving of my vote. Last year we had a drunken peckerhead by the name of Rob Ford get voted in as the mayor, now we get another bunch of twats for the Federal election, I'd hate to see what "choices" we get when the Provincial elections roll around. I think I'm beginning to understand what it feels like to be a voter in the US.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius
    I

Last year we had a drunken peckerhead by the name of Rob Ford get voted in as the mayor,
    Hmm.. judging from this you must live in pre amalgamation Toronto.

Evil Jr.
    One of my favourite things about this election cycle so far was a call-in they did on Radio One yesterday asking people about their opinions on the idea of a "coalition" government. One guy calls in and says "Coalition governments just aren't fair!" Asked to elaborate, he didn't really have much to add.

Not fair? To whom, the party left out? Somebody needs a refresher on parliamentary politics!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    One of my favourite things about this election cycle so far was a call-in they did on Radio One yesterday asking people about their opinions on the idea of a "coalition" government. One guy calls in and says "Coalition governments just aren't fair!" Asked to elaborate, he didn't really have much to add.

Not fair? To whom, the party left out? Somebody needs a refresher on parliamentary politics!
    My bosses wife is proving my Dad's observation that Newfies are either really smart or really stupid but great people all around.

She stated that she was voting for the local female Candidate because she was a woman and ran 3 businesses. No idea what her platform was and all that. This would be like me voting for someone based on how good her boobs and but where.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    Hmm.. judging from this you must live in pre amalgamation Toronto.
    Yeah, the only part which had garbage service during the city strike a couple years ago.

My bosses wife is proving my Dad's observation that Newfies are either really smart or really stupid but great people all around.

She stated that she was voting for the local female Candidate because she was a woman and ran 3 businesses. No idea what her platform was and all that. This would be like me voting for someone based on how good her boobs and but where
    Your words of wisdom have allowed me to decide on my throwaway protest vote.

Go Green Party!

Evil Jr.
    Go Green Party!
    Not so fast! Wait until you see Stephen Harper in a sweater vest. It might be enough to sway you!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Yeah, the only part which had garbage service during the city strike a couple years ago.

It's easy really to figure it out. Pre amalgamation Toronto hates Ford while the pre amalgamation Scarborough, North York, and so on like him. Basically based on pre amalgamation boundaries.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Not so fast! Wait until you see Stephen Harper in a sweater vest. It might be enough to sway you!
    If he breaks out a pair of manties I might think about it...for the couple seconds it takes until I projectile vomit.

bi-winning
    This election has nothing to do with what the voters want nor what Canada needs. This is about the parties forwarding their own agenda's.
    That's the impression I get as well.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'm well along the 5 stages of political awareness... let's think back:

1. denial (ie don't care I'm only 16)
    2. anger (mildish: what they wasted how much on that boondoggle? Oh well)
    3. bargaining (I've got a mortgage and a whopping tax bill, goshdarnit I've got to be involved with this stuff!)
    4. depression (no progress on dat dere mortgage and dose taxes).
    5. acceptance (glad I don't have to be a politician).

yep I'm at stage 5 and good to go. Bring on the coalition!

GAME ON!
    this poll will make you a liberal because you didn't already know that you were one. i've always voted NDP and people rag on me for that. then the PC wins and people are pissed off at them, then the liberals win and people are pissed off at them and one day the NDP will gain power and people will be pissed off at them. when was the last time people were actually happy with the party in power? it seems to have been long before my birth because i certainly don't remember such a time. canada, as a whole, will spend 4 years (or seemingly every other year) whining about who is in power and then they'll teach them a lesson the next time by VOTING FOR THEM AGAIN! some lesson.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    this poll will make you a liberal because you didn't already know that you were one. i've always voted NDP and people rag on me for that. then the PC wins and people are pissed off at them, then the liberals win and people are pissed off at them and one day the NDP will gain power and people will be pissed off at them. when was the last time people were actually happy with the party in power? it seems to have been long before my birth because i certainly don't remember such a time. canada, as a whole, will spend 4 years (or seemingly every other year) whining about who is in power and then they'll teach them a lesson the next time by VOTING FOR THEM AGAIN! some lesson.
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3gMcZic1d4U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Steady Creepin'

Oh no, the dreaded C-word! Lots of fear mongering going on right now regarding it, yet not that long ago...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    this poll will make you a liberal because you didn't already know that you were one. i've always voted NDP and people rag on me for that. then the PC wins and people are pissed off at them, then the liberals win and people are pissed off at them and one day the NDP will gain power and people will be pissed off at them. when was the last time people were actually happy with the party in power?
    Myself, and most of the people I know were perfectly happy when Chretien & Martin's Liberals were in power, I voted for them in every election where I was of age and did so with a smile on my face. The worst you can say about them is they embezzled a few hundred mil, frankly I'm more than happy to write that off as the cost of politics given all the other positive accomplishments of their government.

As for the NDP, Rae Days were fun since I was a kid back then, and that's about the only good thing I can say about them.

Steady Creepin'

For the Liberal's this is pretty much a strategy to get rid of Ignitief. If they had any testicles they would have said enough is enough taken responsibilty and told him it's time to step aside. By going to election they can blame the voters for their downfall.

All this is going to do is make more Canadians apathetic and pay less attention. One can only listen to fear this, fear them, and so on for so long before they stop paying attention.
    Too true.. the Libs seem totally inept at choosing exactly what they need in a leader, someone down to earth and charismatic, even though they had one right under their noses on a few occasions now (Gerard Kennedy).

Political apathy is going to be the Cons best friend this time around, an election that nobody is really interested in plus the always reliable senior vote is gonna make this a tough hill to climb for the opposition I'm afraid.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LuMach
    Political apathy is going to be the Cons best friend this time around, an election that nobody is really interested in plus the always reliable senior vote is gonna make this a tough hill to climb for the opposition I'm afraid.
    In parts of the middle east people want to vote. While here we don't want to vote.

The reality not being mentioned is simply voter burn out. We are all tired of being told we have another federal election. This is increased by all the information sources around. So after a while people will be tired of it.

The smartest thing the Liberals could have done was to not push this. To take pause and sort their house out. Tell Iggy that it is time to leave and select a more capable figure head. Then sit down and actually come up with what they wanted to market to the public. Wait another year and keep their anti conservative fear mongering to a dull roar. They would have gained more support then what is currently there.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Myself, and most of the people I know were perfectly happy when Chretien & Martin's Liberals were in power, I voted for them in every election where I was of age and did so with a smile on my face. The worst you can say about them is they embezzled a few hundred mil, frankly I'm more than happy to write that off as the cost of politics given all the other positive accomplishments of their government.
    The people usually happy voting Liberal tend to have money. Those who usually are blue collar do not.

People like me who are former military and support those who are. Look at the Liberal's with the feeling of getting the shaft. Let us not forget the Liberal's set up the Camp Mirage fiasco.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hmm.. I think a death type ride will be planned for May this year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The people usually happy voting Liberal tend to have money. Those who usually are blue collar do not.
    I was a poor starving student in those days, then I was entry level worker stuggling to break into the workforce in my field.

To be honest I don't think it breaks down as neatly as you've outlined, each party has its diehard voter block, most other people will vote for whichever party gives them the best deal. What that "best deal" is depends on the person, and also on what the societal & economic issues are at the time which unfortunately is shaped to large degree these days by the media. Tax cuts and free handouts seem to be in vogue in recent years despite the damage they'll do to our country since we can't afford them for any extended length of time. Before that it was green energy, nevermind the fact that you can't run sizable 1st world countries on renewables.

People like me who are former military and support those who are. Look at the Liberal's with the feeling of getting the shaft. Let us not forget the Liberal's set up the Camp Mirage fiasco.
    The sad truth is the military gets shafted by everyone. It's almost as if there's an unwritten law in every civilized country which states that its government must find a way to dick over its armed forces.

namagomi
    Which party promises singletrack for all? I am thinking the conservatives... though they may pave over it one day with a highway at least we'll get to use the land for a while before that happens.

Steady Creepin'
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Which party promises singletrack for all? I am thinking the conservatives... though they may pave over it one day with a highway at least we'll get to use the land for a while before that happens.
    Nah, we won't.. the wealthy bird-watching retirees that vote for them en masse will ensure that MTB's are banned.

namagomi
    Nah, we won't.. the wealthy bird-watching retirees that vote for them en masse will ensure that MTB's are banned.
    Is it just me or is there something slightly psychopathic about bird-watchers as a group...

It doesn't seem as wholesome as some mountain biking.

I am also worried if one votes NDP or Green, the environmentalists will ban everybody from even farting in the woods.

mtbr member
    Uh ... Politics, I usually steer away from posting on these things but since we're all level headed here Why not!

I 'd love to see it mandatory that any party fielding federal candidates MUST have candidates running in every province, sorry the whole 'block' thing has unbalanced the federal system for ages now and will continue to do so. Not that Bouchard's original intention of having every province represented by a 'block' was necessarily terrible but at the moment I see it as a huge problem since the system is crippled by one province that scares the crap out of every politician.

Next is I'd like to see the end of lifetime pensions for public sector employees. why does it have to guarantee a lifetime of payout, possibly beyond the years it can actually cover?

In the end, this countries' politics are driven by internal agendas and so little true vision for the future. All they care about is securing their piece of the pie for the next 4 years with very little care for what happens outside of that. Until someone comes along with a true sense of speaking for the people and not being so self serving, i don't see much change ahead.

Steady Creepin'
    Is it just me or is there something slightly psychopathic about bird-watchers as a group...

It doesn't seem as wholesome as some mountain biking.

I am also worried if one votes NDP or Green, the environmentalists will ban everybody from even farting in the woods.
    son of a.....! that's how I've been scaring away bears all this time!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    They're all a bunch of goofs, we just have to pick the one that's the least goofy, with maybe a brain in their head some days lol. But where's our hard Right option?!?

Bored
    There are some awesome quotes in this thread. I laughed.

We have an Elvis impersonator running in my area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    Next is I'd like to see the end of lifetime pensions for public sector employees. why does it have to guarantee a lifetime of payout, possibly beyond the years it can actually cover?
    Maybe re-thinking the way the system works might be a good idea but you want to take away people's pensions? That's a major issue for you? Seriously?

rad to the power of sick
    While the accuracy of that compass is more than debatable, I scored where there was no representation. (Top right)

Regardless of how this election turns out, its a sure fire sign that our electoral system needs an overhaul big time and it needs to happen ASAP.

Four elections in seven years, 50% voter turnout... its all one huge bureaucratic money suck. More time is spent transitioning legalities between governments then actually getting things done. Regardless of your stance (left or right) the system is dated and inefficient.

The main sales pitch of this election should be the money being wasted on elections. Ironic.

Each election costs us 250-300million dollars. Over a billion dollars have been spent for nothing in return.

I can only hope that this induces some frustration, and citizens come out to vote.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akura
    Maybe re-thinking the way the system works might be a good idea but you want to take away people's pensions? That's a major issue for you? Seriously?
    I think you're taking it beyond the scope of what I intended. No I don't want to take away
    people's pensions. Simply put, if you have sufficient funds in your pension to support you for 20 years of retirement then that's great. My concern comes in at year 21 when the fund is technically exhausted but because you're a public servant you keep getting paid (and indexed) until you die, then your spouse gets 50% until they die. Doesn't seem to be an economically sustainable model when people are living way longer then they used to. For example the teacher's pension system is now short by $17billion as more and more teachers actually spend more time in retirement then working.

So yeah I agree with you, re-thinking the way the system works is well overdue. People work hard and try to save for their pensions as much as they can, this guaranteed lifetime payout is fine if the invested funds are there to support it.

Steady Creepin'
    I'm beginning to sense that we might just be surprised by voter turn out this time around. There's a feeling in the air that students are getting stirred up and mobilizing, especially after the embarrassing fiasco we had here in London recently.

A few interesting tidbits...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Ah yes. Let's all blame Harper.

Now let's look at what is being ignored. That being the failure of the RCMP specifically the officer in charge of the security detail. At the end of the day the incident in London falls on his shoulders. Their job was to provide security aginst wacko's with evil intent. Not tossing some student out because they went to another parties gathering.

In the end it was the leaders of the security detail who failed. Because they would know that it was not in their mandate to do that. And the leader of this detail should have clearly stated that it was not in their security mandate. And doing that would exceeed their mission.

namagomi
    Ah yes. Let's all blame Harper.

Now let's look at what is being ignored. That being the failure of the RCMP specifically the officer in charge of the security detail. At the end of the day the incident in London falls on his shoulders. Their job was to provide security aginst wacko's with evil intent. Not tossing some student out because they went to another parties gathering.

In the end it was the leaders of the security detail who failed. Because they would know that it was not in their mandate to do that. And the leader of this detail should have clearly stated that it was not in their security mandate. And doing that would exceeed their mission.
    Oh God, don't bring up the RCMP... they need an enema!

I'm thinking Green's - legalized mary-j? Interesting.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Oh God, don't bring up the RCMP... they need an enema!
    Sorry. Irony of all the people who whine about police actions who are now ignoring it while bashing the Conservatives is getting to me. If we held this situation to the same standard as in non election times. You'd see demands for an inquiry, fire the RCMP, police brutality, and so on. Instead people are yelling at Harper and by ignoring the RCMP's actions you are empowering thhem in the future.

And this coming form the guy who doesn't endlessly bash cops.

Evil Jr.
    Televised leaders' debate tonight! Could be a fiery one!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Some of the debate is interesting, but I just dread the part where it becomes a big yelling match and they all try to talk over each other. Sheesh. Listening skills are undervalued in this society.

Evil Jr.
    I'm looking for Layton to make some more cutting Harper/sweater jokes!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Building ladder bridge then sex with wife is much more appealling

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I knew there was a good reason I have a ride scheduled for tonight...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Who cares about all this.

Something more important.. 11 days till the Oncoming Storm.
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qpe1Ywz8azM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And why the CBC is overated,
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cR9cjInN4P8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Evil Jr.
    Bah, I'm stranded in Cheesehead-land for the next three days. Live streaming on CBC will make me feel less homesick!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I really liked the new debate format! Everyone got a chance to say their bit, it really was a debate, and there was very little talking on top of each other.
    They did obliquely call each other liars quite often.
    I kinda love Gilles Duceppe. I just wish he wasn't so committed to breaking up the country.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    While out riding I sensed great fear. Came home and found out why. Something about Iggy experiencing the Layton Effect.

Steady Creepin'
    I thought Iggy came off rather well, better than I thought he would. I'll feel a little less guilty about my "strategic" vote this time.

Layton had a few moments but was a little disappointing overall, I truly believe in what the party stands for but I think a leader change might be in order for next time. Even when he's spot on, nothing Layton says ever seems to carry a lot of weight behind it, or hit home as much as it really should.

Harper was his usual cold and robotic, obviously practiced his Bush-style soundbytes, and flat out lied on a few occasions (we need live fact checker results flashed on screen for these things).

Duceppe always reminds me of a bitter old drunk mad at the world..

humber river advocate
    a huge clusterfuk that makes the subprime meltdown look like a holiday is brewing south of us.. $14.3 trillion national debt... wow... our largest export customer is in trouble big time. meanwhile... back in canada...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Evil Jr.
    I loved how everything Harper said started with "that's simply not true". To be fair, he has a lot of ugly stuff to deal with from Oda to the Auditor General (admittedly most of it is his own fault) so he did a good job of not looking too defensive.

Duceppe will come into his own tonight at the French language debate. A few times, his (valid) point got lost just because he was struggling through his English.

I watched. I drank beer. I worked on a Trail Plan. Evening well-spent!

namagomi
    I'm just glad no kittehs were eatenz and all reptilianz wuz well bhaved!

Steady Creepin'
    I'm just glad no kittehs were eatenz and all reptilianz wuz well bhaved!

we don't actually know that...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

seriously??? elections have never been about what the voters want!!! it's always about power and the party that wants it the most! that's the way the political system works anad has works for almost 150 years. the party with the most seats forms government and gets to implement their agenda. The concept of coalition govt as norm vis a vis Ignatief, layton, duceippe. is not a long term viable way to maintain govt. with parties constantly jockeying for position to get their things done.

time to end it and have a majority govt again. I for one am glad to see the govt wants to spend money on the military again, we've had tgoo many decades of liberal govt.'s stripping funding away from the military, to the point where some of our CF-18's are neasrly 30 years old!

'nuff said, go Harper!!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by was98strat
    The concept of coalition govt as norm vis a vis Ignatief, layton, duceippe. is not a long term viable way to maintain govt. with parties constantly jockeying for position to get their things done.
    There are plenty of countries that get along just fine with coalition governments. If nothing else, it would be an interesting change of pace. I suppose you could argue that it was already priced-in but the day the election was called, there was no perceptible reaction from stock or currency markets. That means that the "World" doesn't really care who's in power in Canada. They're pretty much assured they'll get roughly the same policies no matter who wins! Yay Canada!

More than a little slow
    Duceppe always reminds me of a bitter old drunk mad at the world..
    Dskunk always reminds me of a bitter old drunk mad at the world, not that this has anything to do with anything but it is nice to know that there is potentially a politician out there who has something in common with me. I am drinking Maudite right now. A Kaybec beer!!!
    I`ll be quiet now.
    Last edited by dskunk; 04-13-2011 at 08:02 PM.
    Cheers, Dave

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk
    I am drinking Maudite right now. A Kaybec beer!!!
    I`ll be quiet now.
    You K-beck-quoi are all the same! I see your Maudite and raise you a New Belgium 1554.

More than a little slow
    You K-beck-quoi are all the same! I see your Maudite and raise you a New Belgium 1554.
    This travelling life of yours doesn`t sound too bad sometimes, ya know?
    Cheers, Dave

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk
    This travelling life of yours doesn`t sound too bad sometimes, ya know?
    It has its ups and downs. For every Chicago or Seoul, there's always a Bumfuk, Iowa.

mtbr member
    .... and flat out lied on a few occasions (we need live fact checker results flashed on screen for these things).
    I'd love to see a green/red light above each candidate that would buzz when they're talking for true/false, would certainly make the whole thing entertaining to watch, could add a scoreboard to boot!

Evil Jr.
    Friendly reminder: tonight is the last night for advance polling. Since, we'll be driving back from NYC next Monday, tonight's the night for us.

I have to say, this late-in-the-race surge by the NDP is most interesting. Won't make a whit of difference in our oddly urban/rural riding but it could be interesting overall.

Evil Jr.
    I was really surprised how busy our polling station was. We snuck in just before the rush!

Historically, our little ADFW riding has excellent participation rates vis-a-vis the national average and it looks like it will be the same again this year.

mtbr member
    we can all hang our heads in shame now, for letting an abusive, unconstitutional, power hungry, capitalist asshat win a majority...

guessing that over the next few years, we can kiss a good bunch of our civil liberties goodbye..

Thanks midwest! and golden horseshoe!
    2008 Kona Caldera

"Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

mtbr member
    What a ****ing joke...
    2008 Kona Caldera

Lemmy Rules!
    Any party that is in power for more than 2 terms becomes corrupt (i.e. liberal sponsorship scandal). My strategy is generally to vote against the incumbent if they have been in power too long. If more people took that I approach, I think it would help keep our friends in Ottawa a little more honest.
    Strava made me do it....

Perpetual Hack
    With what the facker did with a minority is almost unbelievable.
    I really do shudder to think of what he and his gang of thugs will do next.
    Bring on the prisons for unreported crime.
    Bring on the firing of civil servants that do their jobs proudly.
    Bring on the un-tendered / unneeded stealth fighters
    Bring on the document changes - hey 180 degrees is good - no?
    Bring on the next tax break for the rich and corporations
    Bring on cutting of health-care
    Bring on an increase of opacity in government
    Bring on more contempt of Parliament
    'bout the only thing they will not do now is prorogue.

Welcome to the Canadian version of GW Bush term two.

Disgusted in how easily led, and ill-informed the Canadian electorate is.

michael

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The only good thing I can say is that the Bloc got wiped out.

Other than that, well, BOHICA.

bi-winning
    For those bashing the Conservatives, I'm curious what scenario you would have preferred. Of course, you are in no way obligated to respond with that.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Evil Jr.
    Wow a lot of interesting stuff happened last night! Where do you begin? I think, on balance, I'll take the Conservative majority in exchange for the Bloc losing Official Party status. And only one word can describe the swap between the NDP and the Liberals: unprecedented. What a night!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Unite the left, rebrand it as the The Democratic Party, and let's get on with a two party system. Regularly scheduled elections every four years would be nice too, that's Harper's own idea not mine. England's liberals dropped out of sight some time ago and they've done ok.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay.
    Unite the left, rebrand it as the The Democratic Party, and let's get on with a two party system. Regularly scheduled elections every four years would be nice too, that's Harper's own idea not mine. England's liberals dropped out of sight some time ago and they've done ok.
    That's exactly what Ed Broadbent and Stephen Lewis were floating on Radio 1 this morning. Bob Rae opened the door to it too as early as last night. This election could have some significant and far-reaching ramifications for the Canadian political landscape moving forward. This COULD be the start of a two-party system.

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued
    Any party that is in power for more than 2 terms becomes corrupt (i.e. liberal sponsorship scandal). My strategy is generally to vote against the incumbent if they have been in power too long. If more people took that I approach, I think it would help keep our friends in Ottawa a little more honest.
    I would suggest the last Prime Minister the country actually vote FOR, was Pierre Trudeau. Everyone since then has been the result of us not wanting the other option. I can't stand Harper, but he has worked the system brilliantly. Didn't really have to do/say too much, just not make a mistake. Secure the hatches, it's going to be a rough ride...
    It's only pain......

Evil Jr.
    Don't forget that we still have massive regional disparities. Alberta overwhelmingly (>75% of the popular vote) elected Stephen Harper as PM. In Ontario, they gained a ton of seats by basically treading water when people jumped from the Liberals to the NDP. In Quebec, everyone basically just said F-you to the Bloc. Even the Greens have to be scratching their heads - elected May but lost 50% of their popular vote. Fascinating no matter how you slice it.

bi-winning
    Don't forget that we still have massive regional disparities. Alberta overwhelmingly (>75% of the popular vote) elected Stephen Harper as PM. In Ontario, they gained a ton of seats by basically treading water when people jumped from the Liberals the the NDP. In Quebec, everyone basically just said F-you to the Bloc. Even the Greens have to be scratching their heads - elected May but lost 50% of their popular vote. Fascinating no matter how you slice it.
    Considering this election was sometimes discussed as one that the citizens did not want, or need, it certainly did bring about some significant changes in the House.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Considering this election was sometimes discussed as one that the citizens did not want, or need, it certainly did bring about some significant changes in the House.
    That's the best part. All the "smart" people predicted that this was going to be the most boringest election of all time. lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel
    With what the facker did with a minority is almost unbelievable.
    I really do shudder to think of what he and his gang of thugs will do next.
    Bring on the prisons for unreported crime.
    Bring on the firing of civil servants that do their jobs proudly.
    Bring on the un-tendered / unneeded stealth fighters
    Bring on the document changes - hey 180 degrees is good - no?
    Bring on the next tax break for the rich and corporations
    Bring on cutting of health-care
    Bring on an increase of opacity in government
    Bring on more contempt of Parliament
    'bout the only thing they will not do now is prorogue.

Welcome to the Canadian version of GW Bush term two.

Disgusted in how easily led, and ill-informed the Canadian electorate is.

michael
    LOL.. you could take any party and say the same sort of things about them!
    Especially the NDP, lets not forget how they rewarded the unions in the early nineties for supporting them..by cancelling their contracts..remember Rae days??
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

rad to the power of sick
    Im happy for the conservative majority....but not a fan of harper and the reform party portion of the cons. Peter Mackay should be in his spot.

itll be interesting having a polarized house of commons.

Also, congrats to Elisabeth May. She'll be a solid contributor and hopefully introduce some fresh new ideas.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Other than that, well, BOHICA.
    Nothing new there. Regardless of who is in charge that is SOP.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    So let us ask the most burning questions,

Does Mr Layton of the honourable opposition ride flats or clipless? Wear a sausage suit?

sock puppet

I don't think he can ride...

but apparently he can be ridden at certain massage joints...

I don't know... I just heard...

Does Mr Layton of the honourable opposition ride flats or clipless? Wear a sausage suit?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Either way he should feel pretty hollow inside today. He has less power than before and the vote splitting on the center-left is what pushed things into a majority.

Our beloved country is in serious need of electoral reform. 60% voter turn out and only needing 40% off that turn out to field a majority government does not equal good representation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm curious what scenario you would have preferred.
    Just about any, in fact.

Evil Jr.
    I was listening to Preston Manning this morning too and when you stop to think about it, the rise of Reform has been a remarkable thing. Twenty years ago, they were nothing more than a fringe party with Western roots and now, after annexing one of the Canada's founding parties, they've formed a majority government.

While our system undoubtedly has its flaws (and what system doesn't), it can lead to tremendous progress. Where would we be now without Social Credit, the CCF or even the Bloc?

While I don't always agree with the outcome, I like that things like this can happen here. You just have to look at the US to see how deep-rooted partisanship can twist a nation in on itself. I'd much sooner have what we do than have to live with that.

mtbr member

do you mean bicycle Jack,

I don't know about a sausage suit, (geez there's an image I don't want to see at mealtime)
    but he did some riding (with his wife) back then

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/A...aspx?e=3102119

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    For those bashing the Conservatives, I'm curious what scenario you would have preferred. Of course, you are in no way obligated to respond with that.
    I truly wonder what the 'BLOC' would have done with a majority. Seperate, really? With total control that would truly have been interesting.

Otherwise, I have been following our system for years, and have regularly voted. Where have we gotten.

Majority governments leading to abuses and scandals.
    Minority governments ineffectual.

I think Mr. Harpers worse nightmare would be worth a shot.

My Coalition suggestion:

40% Bloc - 30% NDP - 30% Green

and the OH SO experienced PCs sorry Cs and Liberal as the official opposition.

That would be interesting times.

Stosh
    Last edited by Stosh (Canada); 05-03-2011 at 03:04 PM.
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

namagomi

Flats, it doesn't make much sense to wear clips when you've got a basket on the front! Plus when you have to dodge roadies with poor bicycle skills it helps to be able to stick a foot out.

BTW, the Bixi bikes are around town now - eat that, if you can, Rob Ford!

Perpetual Hack
    I just think the man can't open his mouth without a falsehood spilling out. Nobody else is allowed to speak. By the rules, gotta stick to the speech even if events have overtaken the content. I mean 4 questions only, back behind the barricade you journalist scum and btw if you want to follow the Bus, that'll be what $11,000. (if memory serves.)

I just love his Fury over a coalition - not that he ever signed a letter of intent to the GG, or he(( even his own CRAp party is a coalition - Conservative / Reform Alliance - they needed to change the name when some pundit added the small "p" to CRA moniker causing smirks and embarrassment all around.

What it comes down do is based upon his record - I don't trust him. As for reference to other parties - yup they all got their slime and skeletons but don't usually do a 180 immediately after the election on promises made - see above about transparency and openness - let alone the dirty pool such as the infamous How to disrupt Parliament info pamphlet...etc...etc...

Like the man above said, anybody but him. In my eyes he had his chance and blew it big time ( I voted for the Fracker the first time around - then got me eyes opened.) I tend to keep an eye on what goes on and usually don't forget in a week or two. OCD has some benefits

regards,

michael

McB
    mtbr member

I just love his Fury over a coalition - not that he ever signed a letter of intent to the GG, or he(( even his own CRAp party is a coalition - Conservative / Reform Alliance - they needed to change the name when some pundit added the small "p" to CRA moniker causing smirks and embarrassment all around.

Your comparing apples or oranges.

Back then, the Martin gov't had been in power for some time. In 2008 it was 6 weeks after the election.

Back then, the Martin gov't was caught in Adscam where the governing party STOLE MONEY FROM TAXPAYERS. Totally different than disagreeing with the contents of an "economic update".

All that said, it is still the right for the opposition to bring down the government if there is no confidence, but their argument is weak.

What I have a problem with is based on that weak argument and that they also want to form a rag-tag coalition government further based on LIES (four wisemen) in conjunction with pledged support from a SEPARATIST PARTY.

Harper has never asked Duceppe for any termed support for his gov't, especially IN WRITING.

So big differences here.

The difference is easy. Harper's letter was tasteful and non-confrontational. The intention was to make sure the GG was aware of the different options, and to let the GG that the opposition was well aware of those options as well. However, the letter does not advise the GG, which is the prerogative of the PM.

Compare that to the coalition's letter.

"Today we respectfully inform the Governor General that, as soon as the appropriate opportunity arises, she should call on the Leader of the Official Opposition to form a new government, supported as set out in the accompanying accords by all three of our parties."

The opposition has blatantly instructed the GG to call upon the to form a new government, regardless of the fact that in such a situation the GG would have alternate options, and would have to consider the advice of the PM first and foremost. They also ignore that just days ago they upheld the government in the throne speech.

Furthermore, trying to compare the Reform and Alliance as a coalition is a bit ridiculous considering that they were the same party up until the early 90's.

Of course don't let facts get in your way.
    Rider Up,

Mike McB

"Over Thinking, Over Analyzing, Seperates the Mind from the Body" - Tool

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    On Sunday night I was thinking of ways to fund the 2011 summer riding while working less. I surfed the world wide Intraweb and observed the high level of Liberal paranoia brewing. I also noted that Ontario is a bastion of the Liberal party.

With fore thought, I ordered my minions to aquire as much stock in tin foil as possible. And it appears I was correct in this. My empire appreciates the Liberal paranoia and it's side effect in needing tin foil.

I dd what you see there.
    I'm not nor have I ever been a Pinko, but I'm really happy the NDP benefitted from the people's "torpedo of truth" to the LIberals. Now perhaps Hamilton, who routinely voted NDP in the past might benefit from their persistent support now that Jack has a little more presence in the house.

sock puppet

Nope. McSquinty never took a 180 degree turn...

few minutes after the count was done...

Never. Ever.

I think we are in for another change in the fall...

I just think the man can't open his mouth without a falsehood spilling out. Nobody else is allowed to speak. By the rules, gotta stick to the speech even if events have overtaken the content. I mean 4 questions only, back behind the barricade you journalist scum and btw if you want to follow the Bus, that'll be what $11,000. (if memory serves.)

What it comes down do is based upon his record - I don't trust him. As for reference to other parties - yup they all got their slime and skeletons but don't usually do a 180 immediately after the election on promises made - see above about transparency and openness - let alone the dirty pool such as the infamous How to disrupt Parliament info pamphlet...etc...etc...

Like the man above said, anybody but him. In my eyes he had his chance and blew it big time ( I voted for the Fracker the first time around - then got me eyes opened.) I tend to keep an eye on what goes on and usually don't forget in a week or two. OCD has some benefits

regards,

michael

Perpetual Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by McB
    Your comparing apples or oranges.

Back then, the Martin gov't had been in power for some time. In 2008 it was 6 weeks after the election.

Back then, the Martin gov't was caught in Adscam where the governing party STOLE MONEY FROM TAXPAYERS. Totally different than disagreeing with the contents of an "economic update".

All that said, it is still the right for the opposition to bring down the government if there is no confidence, but their argument is weak.

What I have a problem with is based on that weak argument and that they also want to form a rag-tag coalition government further based on LIES (four wisemen) in conjunction with pledged support from a SEPARATIST PARTY.

Harper has never asked Duceppe for any termed support for his gov't, especially IN WRITING.

So big differences here.

The difference is easy. Harper's letter was tasteful and non-confrontational. The intention was to make sure the GG was aware of the different options, and to let the GG that the opposition was well aware of those options as well. However, the letter does not advise the GG, which is the prerogative of the PM.

Compare that to the coalition's letter.

"Today we respectfully inform the Governor General that, as soon as the appropriate opportunity arises, she should call on the Leader of the Official Opposition to form a new government, supported as set out in the accompanying accords by all three of our parties."

The opposition has blatantly instructed the GG to call upon the to form a new government, regardless of the fact that in such a situation the GG would have alternate options, and would have to consider the advice of the PM first and foremost. They also ignore that just days ago they upheld the government in the throne speech.

Furthermore, trying to compare the Reform and Alliance as a coalition is a bit ridiculous considering that they were the same party up until the early 90's.

Of course don't let facts get in your way.

Nice Straw-Man there.

The point was simple - Coalition is a bad word for him but he has put forward one and his party is one - don't care about the details its the principle. As for Reform-Alliance, nice try, that that was old, what I was referring to is the coalition formed with the Old ProgressiveConservative + the rest. Read my boy. They dropped the Progressive part - bout the only thing they were truthful about - no longer Progressive.

BTW - The GG well knows their duty and options as being the Queens Rep and technically above the PM.

I have not stated my current leanings, nor have I said what I feel about a coalition - by whatever means it occurs. All I have stated is that I don't trust Harper based upon his record. I have stated that I voted for him the first time around. The rest is in your imagination.

Have a good night.

michael

mtbr member
    Great...now George Bush has a majority government.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by akura
    Great...now George Bush has a majority government.
    lol. Like or lump him, Harper is still left of most Democrats. God bless Canada!

Steady Creepin'
    Gobsmacked..

sock puppet

sorry dude...

the people have spoken. It is called democracy...

I would have preferred minority government without the coalition majority though. but between the NDP - Liberal coalition and Conservatives - I'll take the latter...

This puts more pressure on Harper. No excuses any more. As well as he got the majority now, if he screws up, he may end up like Liberals next time around...

Look at what is happening in Belgium. A year after the election - still no government... I don't think it is an alternative for us...

So we may agree or not, we may like Harper or not - but he is our PM now and we should support him for the duration of the term and then we will have another decision to make based on his results...

I really didn't like the options this time around, but who knows what can happen to Trudeau in time for the next election...

Nice Straw-Man there.

The point was simple - Coalition is a bad word for him but he has put forward one and his party is one - don't care about the details its the principle. As for Reform-Alliance, nice try, that that was old, what I was referring to is the coalition formed with the Old ProgressiveConservative + the rest. Read my boy. They dropped the Progressive part - bout the only thing they were truthful about - no longer Progressive.

BTW - The GG well knows their duty and options as being the Queens Rep and technically above the PM.

I have not stated my current leanings, nor have I said what I feel about a coalition - by whatever means it occurs. All I have stated is that I don't trust Harper based upon his record. I have stated that I voted for him the first time around. The rest is in your imagination.

Have a good night.

michael

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    the people have spoken. It is called democracy...

I would have preferred minority government without the coalition majority though. but between the NDP - Liberal coalition and Conservatives - I'll take the latter...
    You know, there is more than one concept of democracy, the one you are thinking of is where the majority are the "winners" also called majoritarianism. Often called the tyranny of the majority when it imposes negative liberties. This is the type which differs from a partnership democracy. Harper obviously couldn't work with a partnership and that is a bit scary. I'm not gonna say who will win and lose, obviously nobody should be forced to lose since it's not really a competition in my view. We'll see in 4yrs.

Evil Jr.
    So we may agree or not, we may like Harper or not - but he is our PM now and we should support him for the duration of the term and then we will have another decision to make based on his results...
    Since so much stuff actually gets done at the Deputy Minister level with the revolving door that is cabinet, we kind of end up with the same basic brand of governance no matter who's in power.

Harper's PM now and I respect that. He has four years to earn my next vote. The clock is ticking...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    And thus continues the fine tradition of Canadian whining.

He suck, they suck, my view of democracy is better then your view, beitch, snivel, whine, blah, blah blah, blah, blah, puke.

sock puppet
    You know, there is more than one concept of democracy, the one you are thinking of is where the majority are the "winners" also called majoritarianism. Often called the tyranny of the majority when it imposes negative liberties.
    depends on the angle... between the tyranny or majority and tyranny of minority - I think less evil is tyranny of majority. I don't think there will be tyranny however. I felt there was tyranny of minority who always complained but didn't have any GOOD solutions to the problem they complained about... At least the government can function this way, and if it is not good - we replace it next time. Isn't that one of the points of democratic electoral systems?

This is the type which differs from a partnership democracy. Harper obviously couldn't work with a partnership and that is a bit scary.
    depends on the angle again... even though G20 billion $ spent was far from perfect, it was still better spent than eHealth billion, or gun registry billion or sponsorship scandal etc... But again, people have spoken. 160 vs 30 is pretty telling, isn't it. Rob Ford story in Toronto is pretty telling too. That is the way things are going right now. They were given a chance and let's see what they do with it.

Wanna bet on Hudak now?

I'm not gonna say who will win and lose, obviously nobody should be forced to lose since it's not really a competition in my view. We'll see in 4yrs.
    Nobody was forced to lose anyway - what are you talking about? Who do they blame for their loss? Harper? Canadians? Maybe, just maybe - themselves?

One thing that I agree with Ignatieff - the only worse thing than the loser is - a sore loser.

Life will go on no matter what and it will not be SIGNIFICANTLY different.

sock puppet

is this whining or what?

And thus continues the fine tradition of Canadian whining.

He suck, they suck, my view of democracy is better then your view, beitch, snivel, whine, blah, blah blah, blah, blah, puke.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Nope.. just an observation.

sock puppet

i thought

you were whining about whiners....

but if you didn't whine, then don't worry about it....

Nope.. just an observation.

namagomi
    depends on the angle... between the tyranny or majority and tyranny of minority - I think less evil is tyranny of majority. I don't think there will be tyranny however. I felt there was tyranny of minority who always complained but didn't have any GOOD solutions to the problem they complained about... At least the government can function this way, and if it is not good - we replace it next time. Isn't that one of the points of democratic electoral systems?

depends on the angle again... even though G20 billion $ spent was far from perfect, it was still better spent than eHealth billion, or gun registry billion or sponsorship scandal etc... But again, people have spoken. 160 vs 30 is pretty telling, isn't it. Rob Ford story in Toronto is pretty telling too. That is the way things are going right now. They were given a chance and let's see what they do with it.

Wanna bet on Hudak now?

Nobody was forced to lose anyway - what are you talking about? Who do they blame for their loss? Harper? Canadians? Maybe, just maybe - themselves?

One thing that I agree with Ignatieff - the only worse thing than the loser is - a sore loser.

Life will go on no matter what and it will not be SIGNIFICANTLY different.
    It's not really about winning, giving out Canadian flags to the winners and nothing to the losers since people in the majority tend to naively conclude their opinion is only what matters. Would you run a marriage that way? God help you :P

The first past the post system really does smother a lot of people's opinions since when you look at the popular vote things are a bit more balanced. Take for instance the green party which collected many votes but not until recently could achieve a seat - who spoke for those Canadians until now? Yes a majority was achieved by the PC, but the other 40% of Canada needs to be understood as in partnership otherwise Harper is going to step on toes and half of us will end up with a Canada we feel a little more alienated by just so somebody can think they're "gettin' r done."

sock puppet
    It's not really about winning, giving out Canadian flags to the winners and nothing to the losers since people in the majority tend to naively conclude their opinion is only what matters. Would you run a marriage that way? God help you :P
    wtf?

and if the "other" side "won" than the now "happy side" would be whining like you are whining now... What's the difference? Time to feel how it feels to bend down, for a change... What doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

Get over it. For the next 4 or 5 years, you get what you get. We all do. Depending on the outcome of this term, we will vote again...

The first past the post system really does smother a lot of people's opinions since when you look at the popular vote things are a bit more balanced. Take for instance the green party which collected many votes but not until recently could achieve a seat - who spoke for those Canadians until now? Yes a majority was achieved by the PC, but the other 40% of Canada needs to be understood as in partnership otherwise Harper is going to step on toes and half of us will end up with a Canada we feel a little more alienated by just so somebody can think they're "gettin' r done."
    And after winning 1 (one) seat - Liz says "today we proved that Canadians want change in politics"...

I like the fact that we have more diversity in our parliament, but to say that 1 green seat proved that Canadians want change.... kinda funny...

Anyway dude, get over it. Get into politics and change things if you feel so strongly about it. I doubt you would hear as much whining had Liberals, BQ and NDP coalitioned PC out of power, if they could...

On a second thought, don't. Please...

namagomi
    wtf?
    Yup... you read my mind.

No. Just No.
    ...people in the majority tend to naively conclude their opinion is only what matters. Would you run a marriage that way?
    Assuming we're counting people with whole integers, having the majority vote in a marriage as you suggest above means you must have a much more liberal (pardon the pun) definition of marriage then I do, at least according to typical westernized norms.

If you start using any justification that incorporates the words "Goddesses" or "Violent Torpedo of Truth" then I will concede the point.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Assuming we're counting people with whole integers, having the majority vote in a marriage as you suggest above means you must have a much more liberal (pardon the pun) definition of marriage then I do, at least according to typical westernized norms.
    I think you get my point - at least i hope you do.

We all have to make our beds and sleep in them and in that vein Harper just got some rope to hang himself with. Lets hope he doesn't **** up too badly.

No. Just No.
    I think you get my point - at least i hope you do.

We all have to make our beds and sleep in them and in that vein Harper just got some rope to hang himself with. Lets hope he doesn't **** up too badly.
    So, you're not intending to be the founder of the new PPC (Polygamist Party of Canada) and run for office in the next federal election? There's at least one community here in BC that would send a lot of votes your way.

More seriously though, I hope Harper and the Cons take the opportunity to drop the polictical BS and subterfuge going forward. Here's a quote below from Brian Mulroney of all people, from a TV interview last month commenting on the upcoming election and his legacy within the evolution of his former party;

“Popularity is meaningless unless you use it to do big and good things for your country and for the people of Canada.”

Which I will paraphrase as saying that what you do is more important than getting re-elected.

namagomi
    So, you're not intending to be the founder of the new PPC (Polygamist Party of Canada) and run for office in the next federal election? There's at least one community here in BC that would send a lot of votes your way.

More seriously though, I hope Harper and the Cons take the opportunity to drop the polictical BS and subterfuge going forward. Here's a quote below from Brian Mulroney of all people, from a TV interview last month commenting on the upcoming election and his legacy within the evolution of his former party;

“Popularity is meaningless unless you use it to do big and good things for your country and for the people of Canada.”

Which I will paraphrase as saying that what you do is more important than getting re-elected.
    Not me, but if you want to make the trip out to Bountiful and try to work our way up the ladder it might be fun. My point about marriage was only that usually one person holds more cards than the other and if they're not of the partnership persuasion that person can let things goto their head and they'll screw the whole thing up. That is how i view things in this country, it's a marriage of sorts and if your partner(s) aren't happy it will be a miserable situation.

Anyways, i'm interested to see how "Vegas" handles her new seat... lol

No. Just No.
    That is how i view things in this country, it's a marriage of sorts and if your partner(s) aren't happy it will be a miserable situation.
    I don't know why I hang on to idealistic concepts within our country's political system. History shows my hope to be sadly misplaced.

Maybe safer for me to take the more typical Canadian viewpoint of "Oh well, things could be worse."

Evil Jr.
    Interesting quote coming from the father of Free Trade, the GST and Meech Lake.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Interesting quote coming from the father of Free Trade, the GST and Meech Lake.
    Mind you it does show that he 'might' have learned something from how he left the party to Kim and the unfortunate resulting election.

Twice as powerful as current Green party in the House back in 93. Thank you Martin Mulroney.

Stosh

Before anyone blows out a sidewall he went by his middle name.
    Last edited by Stosh (Canada); 05-04-2011 at 06:03 PM.
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh (Canada)
    Mind you it does show that he 'might' have learned something from how he left the party to Kim and the unfortunate resulting election.
    It wasn't entirely clear. He didn't specifically connect his legacy to that statement, although it was a bit of an eye-opener to have someone who has played at the top step of the political game pitch out such a simplistic and idealistic musing. Maybe it was indeed a retrospective critique in the way of "Do as I say, not as I do"?

mtbr member
    Get over it. For the next 4 or 5 years, you get what you get. We all do. Depending on the outcome of this term, we will vote again...

LOL....wtf does this mean, depending we will vote again? deep in your mind you agree that we have install a dictator, not a democratic government?

remove head from ass...

Well, atleast we can all look forward to more burning of tax payer money, and crushing of civil liberty... (see g20 summit) (case in point)...

oh and if you honestly believe that what we practice here is democracy, than your head is so far up your ass its probably lost for good....get a clue, then argue..
    2008 Kona Caldera

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by k1lluaA
    LOL....wtf does this mean, depending we will vote again? deep in your mind you agree that we have install a dictator, not a democratic government?

remove head from ass...

Well, atleast we can all look forward to more burning of tax payer money, and crushing of civil liberty... (see g20 summit) (case in point)...

oh and if you honestly believe that what we practice here is democracy, than your head is so far up your ass its probably lost for good....get a clue, then argue..

Thank you for proving my point.

That being people like you spend so much time hating something you shite all over anyone else's view. People like you are part of the problem. That problem being you disrespect others who's political views differ then yours. And unless they follow what you believe they are not allowed to speak? Guess what, this is Canada and if you vote you are allowed have an opinion. But does not allow one to to shite on someone else because their views are different. This has been going on for 4 weeks now and is old and tired.

As a veteran once told me.. never shite on someone for their political views. What matters is whether they voted.

And if you can't handle that. Then guess you had better find a country more to your liking. As most here have no clue what a dictatorship looks like nor lived in one.

Frak I hate this bull shiete

sock puppet

lookey lookey..

you have no idea what a dictatorship is... Be thankful for living in one of the best and most democratic countries in the world. And if the current political sphere is not exactly what you wanted, that is too bad. If you don't like the system - become part of it and change it. At least here you can do it. Elsewhere, in real dictatorships - you'd be behind bars... or deceased...

remove head from ass...
    dude, my head is not up your a$$. Must be someone else's. I have to admit that I still prefer opposite sex. Not that there is anything wrong with your choice...

Harper had nothing to do with G20 security. It was your buddy McGuinty (LIBERAL FYI) who passed some SECRET laws (oops) that gave police certain powers that you apparently didn't like. Your other buddy Mayor MIller was in charge of the police. That was a quick update on "facts" that you are talking about.

However, I do think that the police was pretty laid back. What would possess anyone to go out in that rain and protest something that is so insignificant that is beyond belief? Who cares about G20? How do you fight for democracy that you are talking about? Dressing in black and one shop window at a time? Or one police cruiser at a time???

Wow, now that is democracy I guess...

I wonder what would you do if someone got on your lawn and smashed windows on your house and set your car on fire...

As far as burning our money, LIBERALS had a pretty good run at it with sponsorship scandal, eHealth billion dollars gone with the wind, another billion in gun registry that is nowhere to be found, secret RAISES to over 35,000 unionized public workers (out of our pocket, can you believe) etc, etc... And you are talking about burning taxpayers money from a Liberal angle... tsk, tsk...

Endura is right. Harper was voted in the office by Canadians who voted. Liberals were booted out by Canadians who voted. What is wrong with that? It is people like you who caused Liberal demise. And by the looks of this thread, they are a long way from recovery. Unless of course, they amalgamate with Layton. Which may be the only way.

But before they do that - they should elect Bob Ray for a new leader. I wonder if that would drop their seat count down to a single digit.

Iggy was right too... The only thing worse than a loser is a sore loser.

Be thankful for living in one of the best countries on the planet. You don't want to know what a dictatorship is. Though I think you SHOULD find out. The hard way. As there is no better way to learn and remember and come back to mother Canada and kiss the ground as soon as you are off the plane...

Your repeated comment about the head and the a$$ was already addressed. No need to repeat myself...

Steady Creepin'
    you have no idea what a dictatorship is... Be thankful for living in one of the best and most democratic countries in the world. And if the current political sphere is not exactly what you wanted, that is too bad. If you don't like the system - become part of it and change it. At least here you can do it. Elsewhere, in real dictatorships - you'd be behind bars... or deceased...

dude, my head is not up your a$$. Must be someone else's. I have to admit that I still prefer opposite sex. Not that there is anything wrong with your choice...

Harper had nothing to do with G20 security. It was your buddy McGuinty (LIBERAL FYI) who passed some SECRET laws (oops) that gave police certain powers that you apparently didn't like. Your other buddy Mayor MIller was in charge of the police. That was a quick update on "facts" that you are talking about.

However, I do think that the police was pretty laid back. What would possess anyone to go out in that rain and protest something that is so insignificant that is beyond belief? Who cares about G20? How do you fight for democracy that you are talking about? Dressing in black and one shop window at a time? Or one police cruiser at a time???

Wow, now that is democracy I guess...

I wonder what would you do if someone got on your lawn and smashed windows on your house and set your car on fire...

As far as burning our money, LIBERALS had a pretty good run at it with sponsorship scandal, eHealth billion dollars gone with the wind, another billion in gun registry that is nowhere to be found, secret RAISES to over 35,000 unionized public workers (out of our pocket, can you believe) etc, etc... And you are talking about burning taxpayers money from a Liberal angle... tsk, tsk...

Endura is right. Harper was voted in the office by Canadians who voted. Liberals were booted out by Canadians who voted. What is wrong with that? It is people like you who caused Liberal demise. And by the looks of this thread, they are a long way from recovery. Unless of course, they amalgamate with Layton. Which may be the only way.

But before they do that - they should elect Bob Ray for a new leader. I wonder if that would drop their seat count down to a single digit.

Iggy was right too... The only thing worse than a loser is a sore loser.

Be thankful for living in one of the best countries on the planet. You don't want to know what a dictatorship is. Though I think you SHOULD find out. The hard way. As there is no better way to learn and remember and come back to mother Canada and kiss the ground as soon as you are off the plane...

Your repeated comment about the head and the a$$ was already addressed. No need to repeat myself...
    I agree with some of what you've been saying, but let's not cross a line here. You're talking about the unfortunate actions of a number of people that numbered less than 100, probably closer to 50. That's less than 100 idiots that smashed windows and burned cruisers (though, curiously there was no police presence there at the time) out of over 10,000 peaceful protesters that took the G20 as an opportunity to raise their voices for their particular causes. There WERE rights violated, abuses, and hundreds of illegal arrests and searches of people who were well within their rights to be where they were. There's plenty of proof out there that speaks to this and more importantly, there's the Ombudsman's report. Although, I wouldn't expect any accountability..

Harper a dictator? I agree, that's a bit too much. My parents immigrated to Canada in the late 60's from a country with a fascist dictator, complete with a really mean secret police. It's a whole other world that we have no real concept of here in Canada. That said though, the Harper gov is the most socially and economically conservative government we've ever had in this country and a lot of people will be marginalized in the next 4 years. Personally, I'm preparing for potentially tough times ahead, my wife and I work in a field that relies a good deal on government funding, which I'm expecting will drop significantly. We'll adapt though.

I'm just hoping that Harper will be wise enough not to rock the boat too much, the Libs are proof that Canadian voters are fickle, and with a few wrong moves you can go from popular to insignificant almost overnight, relatively speaking. For now, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed we don't start seeing the privatization of health care..

sock puppet

now we can have a decent discussion...

and thank you for that...

I agree with some of what you've been saying, but let's not cross a line here. You're talking about the unfortunate actions of a number of people that numbered less than 100, probably closer to 50. That's less than 100 idiots that smashed windows and burned cruisers (though, curiously there was no police presence there at the time) out of over 10,000 peaceful protesters that took the G20 as an opportunity to raise their voices for their particular causes.
    Those thousands of people who had every right to be there - could they have not expressed their concerns a week later, or a week earlier? Why offer those 50 or a 100 idiots as you call them, a cover for their criminal activity? There is a pattern of behaviour at G20 or G8 etc... Yes, they had every right to be there, I agree - but where is common sense here? Once the destruction and criminal activity starts, how do you draw the line if you were the police. A crowd is a crowd... What do you do? What WOULD YOU do?

There WERE rights violated, abuses, and hundreds of illegal arrests and searches of people who were well within their rights to be where they were. There's plenty of proof out there that speaks to this and more importantly, there's the Ombudsman's report. Although, I wouldn't expect any accountability..
    what WOULD YOU do to find the criminals. They were clearly part of the crowd. If I was there - as soon as I saw the destruction starting - I am out of there in a hurry. But no, the crowd did not disperse. Why? How do you control it?

Harper a dictator? I agree, that's a bit too much. My parents immigrated to Canada in the late 60's from a country with a fascist dictator, complete with a really mean secret police. It's a whole other world that we have no real concept of here in Canada. That said though, the Harper gov is the most socially and economically conservative government we've ever had in this country and a lot of people will be marginalized in the next 4 years. Personally, I'm preparing for potentially tough times ahead, my wife and I work in a field that relies a good deal on government funding, which I'm expecting will drop significantly. We'll adapt though.
    Harper has been in power for few years already. I am not seeing any hardship, as a matter of fact, I thought Canada navigated fairly successfully through the recession. I am sure you will "blame" this on Liberals, but I wouldn't. I give props to Harper and his government for relative success...

I'm just hoping that Harper will be wise enough not to rock the boat too much, the Libs are proof that Canadian voters are fickle, and with a few wrong moves you can go from popular to insignificant almost overnight, relatively speaking. For now, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed we don't start seeing the privatization of health care..
    I don't think Harper will rock the boat or privatize health care. That would be the end of him and Conservatives to the higher tune than Liberals this time around. Why are Canadian voters fickle when they give Harper a majority and not fickle when they vote in Liberals???

C'mon man, I have not seen this much of an outcry when Liberals won in previous elections, by the Cons...

With regards to government fundings and cuts that may or may not happen - did it ever occur to you that maybe those that gave Harper a majority are as fed up with their money been blown on stuff that they don't agree with? There is so much government funded activity out there that sometimes it is sickening. Most if it is right and needed, but a lot of it is an outright waste. Someone has to clean it up. We are overtaxed already. I hope Harper does an honest and fair job at it.

Keep in mind that I am no Conservative or Liberal or NDP. I would legalize weed, but that doesn't paint me Green either.

I voted for Iggy last time around. He didn't do too much as a leader of the opposition, at least not in my eyes. I will vote for any party that will do the best job for this country, our city and our families.

In a way, the majority is a blessing for Harper, but also a HUGE responsibility. He can not blame the opposition any more. It is all him and his government. We'll see how it works out. There is always the next election as a test of anyone's work.

We'll be watching...

Steady Creepin'
    and thank you for that...

Those thousands of people who had every right to be there - could they have not expressed their concerns a week later, or a week earlier? Why offer those 50 or a 100 idiots as you call them, a cover for their criminal activity? There is a pattern of behaviour at G20 or G8 etc... Yes, they had every right to be there, I agree - but where is common sense here? Once the destruction and criminal activity starts, how do you draw the line if you were the police. A crowd is a crowd... What do you do? What WOULD YOU do?

what WOULD YOU do to find the criminals. They were clearly part of the crowd. If I was there - as soon as I saw the destruction starting - I am out of there in a hurry. But no, the crowd did not disperse. Why? How do you control it?

I don't know what I would do, but the rights violations I'm speaking of didn't just happen at the scene of the black bloc's (and agents provocateurs?) criminal activity, nor were they necessarily a search for criminals. There WAS police brutality, even assaults on journalists. Those are facts, and frankly I'm a little disturbed that all "our" police needed was for the powers that be to loosen the reigns a little (call it a loose interpretation of the Public Works Protection Act) to unleash all this brutality on the public. Hearing that one police officer say something like "this isn't Canada anymore" was a little scary to me, and it should be to you too. The footage is out there.

Harper has been in power for few years already. I am not seeing any hardship, as a matter of fact, I thought Canada navigated fairly successfully through the recession. I am sure you will "blame" this on Liberals, but I wouldn't. I give props to Harper and his government for relative success...

I would give props to the regulations we had in place that minimized the impact of the recession. Harper did navigate us through it, but not sure he deserves too much credit.

I don't think Harper will rock the boat or privatize health care. That would be the end of him and Conservatives to the higher tune than Liberals this time around. Why are Canadian voters fickle when they give Harper a majority and not fickle when they vote in Liberals???

C'mon man, I have not seen this much of an outcry when Liberals won in previous elections, by the Cons...

With regards to government fundings and cuts that may or may not happen - did it ever occur to you that maybe those that gave Harper a majority are as fed up with their money been blown on stuff that they don't agree with? There is so much government funded activity out there that sometimes it is sickening. Most if it is right and needed, but a lot of it is an outright waste. Someone has to clean it up. We are overtaxed already. I hope Harper does an honest and fair job at it.

Keep in mind that I am no Conservative or Liberal or NDP. I would legalize weed, but that doesn't paint me Green either.

I voted for Iggy last time around. He didn't do too much as a leader of the opposition, at least not in my eyes. I will vote for any party that will do the best job for this country, our city and our families.

In a way, the majority is a blessing for Harper, but also a HUGE responsibility. He can not blame the opposition any more. It is all him and his government. We'll see how it works out. There is always the next election as a test of anyone's work.

We'll be watching...
    Anyways, I had some other answers to your quote but I deleted them and decided not to bother, you make several valid points, I don't necessarily see things the same way but I can respect another's opinion. I'm just at the point in life where I've stopped trying to change anyone's mind or force my opinion on them, I also suck at arguing on the internet! Like you said, there's always the next election...

Back to lurking..

wwg
    No Class
    Harper had nothing to do with the G20 security? What?! Harper is responsible for that $858 million fiasco.
    Q: Who's faster than me?
    A: Just about everybody, including your oldest living relative.

sock puppet
    the discussion is about police force action, not about suits with sun shades and earbuds.

Harper was not in charge of the police.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by wwg
    Harper had nothing to do with the G20 security? What?! Harper is responsible for that $858 million fiasco.
    Nobody was in charge, this is what it will come down to... perhaps some poor clerk will get fingered. Oh well.

sock puppet
    I thought you would call it a day and I respect that... We both know where we stand, and I do respect your point of view, as much as you do mine. I hope this was not an argument, but discussion. I didn't try to change your opinion or views, just wanted to hear them.

I was hoping for minority government, but between NDP and CONs, at this time I gave my trust to CONs. The ball is in their backyard and depending on how they play it - they will be rewarded accordingly at the next election...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Nobody was in charge, this is what it will come down to... perhaps some poor clerk will get fingered. Oh well.
    How quickly the bull sheite grinders forget. Or more like skip over because it is inconvenient.

The fiasco of G20 was started by Chief Blair. Who made a request for extra security powers to Queen's Park. There was a discrete discussion and vote in Queens's park to enact a little known of security act. Little known because the last time it was used was during WWII. That it was on the books for the purposes of securing infrastructure - power plants, airports, and so on from enemy attack.

There is no secret act that was used. But people want to believe there is some secret because it fits the whole big bad conspiracy bull shite grinding that has been going on for 4 plus weeks. Just a forgotten law.

You want to hold McGuinty responsible? It's very simple.. show up at the next provincial election and simply vote his arse out.

Now quit whining.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The fiasco of G20 was started by Chief Blair. Who made a request for extra security powers to Queen's Park. There was a discrete discussion and vote in Queens's park to enact a little known of security act. Little known because the last time it was used was during WWII. That it was on the books for the purposes of securing infrastructure - power plants, airports, and so on from enemy attack.
    Man, is there anything that McGuinty hasn't screwed up yet in some way?
    I can't wait to vote him outta there later this year.

namagomi
    How quickly the bull sheite grinders forget. Or more like skip over because it is inconvenient.

There is no secret act that was used. But people want to believe there is some secret because it fits the whole big bad conspiracy bull shite grinding that has been going on for 4 plus weeks. Just a forgotten law.

You want to hold McGuinty responsible? It's very simple.. show up at the next provincial election and simply vote his arse out.

Now quit whining.
    People just went a little bat-**** crazy... what's his name Mr. Sonne included. There were also the massive raids on UofT residences by Toronto police, so it's not like the so-called public works act was the only abuse of power during that time. Of course i'm not sure it's McGuilty's problem alone... i'm sure that blair, a municipal employee, was pressuring for every little abuse of power he could get his grubby fingers on and forecasting Armageddon if police couldn't violate your charter rights via unreasonable search and seizure.

Personally i'd rather get rid of Blair than McGuinty since Blair was most likely the guy running the show on the ground and obviously was prepared to let most of the city get trashed in order to keep his units near the conference. So who were the police there for? Who decided to have the g20 in downtown Toronto? Well...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

mtbr member
    all im going to say to all this g20 not harpers fault ******** is... why have it in the largest city in the country? hrmmmm...so that you can ensure that riots are started (in some cases by undercover police maybe, use your ****ing heads) and then justify police powers being escalated...

Could have been done in a small town, or on a ****ing island for gods sake...and wouldnt have cost OVER a billion dollars... Its not about what was spent...its about what it COST..

Oh and for all those who like to draw on other countries, or worse places to live to compare to this, bear in mind that currently we dont live in those countries, and Canada used to be number 1 helping those countries, but now, WE DONT EVEN RATE IN TE TOP 10... at least the liberals know what foreign aid means...
    2008 Kona Caldera

mtbr member

yea I bet half of these guys in black are either

all im going to say to all this g20 not harpers fault ******** is... why have it in the largest city in the country? hrmmmm...so that you can ensure that riots are started (in some cases by undercover police maybe, use your ****ing heads) and then justify police powers being escalated...

Could have been done in a small town, or on a ****ing island for gods sake...and wouldnt have cost OVER a billion dollars... Its not about what was spent...its about what it COST..

Oh and for all those who like to draw on other countries, or worse places to live to compare to this, bear in mind that currently we dont live in those countries, and Canada used to be number 1 helping those countries, but now, WE DONT EVEN RATE IN TE TOP 10... at least the liberals know what foreign aid means...
    undercover cops OR Harper's MPs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKgFs...yer_detailpage

Steady Creepin'
    I thought you would call it a day and I respect that... We both know where we stand, and I do respect your point of view, as much as you do mine. I hope this was not an argument, but discussion. I didn't try to change your opinion or views, just wanted to hear them.

I was hoping for minority government, but between NDP and CONs, at this time I gave my trust to CONs. The ball is in their backyard and depending on how they play it - they will be rewarded accordingly at the next election...
    Nah, not in the least.. a debate, if nothing else. All's good..

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    So.. the NDP lied to the people. Did a little voodoo candidate PR. And dead silence about it.

Interesting double standard. If the Conservatives did this there would be another 8 pages of how dare they.

I guess it's okay because it wasn't the conservatives.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I guess the NDP just isn't important enough for anyone to care about them.
    Either that or they're having PTSD flashbacks of the Bob Rae era.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    So.. it's been roughly 2 weeks. And what transpired is exactly as I predicted... that being Iggy got his exit strategy. So now he can say it was the voters who didn't want hime not the fact my daughter has more leadership qualities.

It's funny how quiet it has become after the Liberal party collapsed like a building made of card board during a monsoon. Every time I think of Iggy trying to take on Layton I still think of this,

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OFaaVrqxqTc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    I'm blaming the lousy weather on the majority government!
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

Members who have read this thread: 0