Opinions or Suggestions on Buying a MTB?- Mtbr.com

Jun 2004

... and if we just ... Opinions or Suggestions on Buying a MTB?

Hey guys newbie here,

Well i want to buy a MTB since i want to get into the sport. I'm not sure what bike i want to buy but the one that i have in mind is this one.

Give me your opinons or suggestion on what to buy

Schwinn240 DSA

Click Here

Is this bike worth the price? Can i find anything better?

I do want a FS suspension bike that will last.

It's in my price range of 499.99 cdn. I'm looking to spend around 600$ max

but i also found this Norco Screamer bike for 649.99. but seems abit much.
    Click Here

so let me know what u all think.

Jun 2004
    I'm not speaking from experience myself but I've heard numerous times that full suspension bikes in this price range are not the best purchase. Usually someone will suggest spending the $ on a hardtail which will be a much better value in this price range or save the $ for a better FS bike. Just relating what I've read countless times.

almost there!

one things for sure...

I wouldn't recommend buying a bike from Canadian Tire because I doubt they would honour the warranty if something breaks, or if they do honour the warranty they don't have a mechanic on site to fix the problem.

I would check the bikes in your price range on this part of this site:
    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2003_ful..._byprice.shtml

And I'd recommend buying it from a bike shop. Also take your time so, and don't let any sales people rush you into a purchase. And make sure you get the right sized frame.

Good luck.

Mar 2004
    Yeah.. I'd recomend going with a hardtail considering your price range. A good quality hardtail will be better on the trails and will be more efficient than a low end full suspention. Hardtails are underestimated, I have a Giant Rainier and love it..!! I was considering a FS too, but even with my price range I wouldn't have gotten the FS that I wanted.. Check out some of the manufacturer's websites like Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Norco, Swinn, Elsworth ect.. there are tones of manufacturer's and the people in the forum will give you good advice if needed.. also you can check out the Product Reviews and look at what people think of certain bikes... although don't base your desision on the reviews.. it all comes down to how you feel on the bike, and what your using it for. And yes, check out your LBS (local bike shop) but don't be pressured by the sales people.
    That's all..
    Have fun..!!

b_r

mtbr member
    What the other folks here have said is basically it. You get what you pay for and in that price range a hardtail bike will have better components and will generally last longer.

A full sus at that price range is really a compromise bike, they downgrade everything to make it affordable and it isn't necessarily that serviceable (ie different springs for diff weights, easy to replace worn bearings/bushings?, etc...)

That said, if you want a full sus bike to get into the sport you could always buy it and give it a go for a season or two, if you like the sport and want to start pushing yourself/riding style, you could sell it and buy something better suited at that point.

Good luck

Clem

Jun 2004
    I'm a Newbie too!! I just bought a 2004 Fuji Odessa for $450 including tax yesterday. I found this site after the purchase and I wish I would have done more research. I haven't touched a bike in 14 years but I really want to get in on this sport.

Anyway what does hardtail and FS mean? How good is the bike I bought? I want to start mountain biking and maybe cruise my neighbourhood.

Thanks,
    GQ Guy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GQ Style Guy
    I'm a Newbie too!! I just bought a 2004 Fuji Odessa for $450 including tax yesterday. I found this site after the purchase and I wish I would have done more research. I haven't touched a bike in 14 years but I really want to get in on this sport.

Anyway what does hardtail and FS mean? How good is the bike I bought? I want to start mountain biking and maybe cruise my neighbourhood.

Thanks,
    GQ Guy
    The important thing is to get out and ride.
    A rigid bike has no suspension other than the seat and tires. Hardtail means it has front suspension forks with rigid rear and FS means full suspension (front suspension forks and a linkage suspension and shock for the back). FS bikes are heavier and cost more.
    Mountain biking is a relative term, how good your bike is depends on where you want to go. It should be ok for light trail riding, don't think it will work for you if you plan on doing rock gardens, big jumps and stuff like that.
    You get what you pay for. Low dollar ($450) usually means a heavier bike with acceptable, but not great components. I think the Fuji's are made in China.

My advice is do as much riding as you can, find out the limitations of the bike you have, check out this forum and others like bikeforum.com, talk to people you meet out biking, and you'll find out what you should have.

Jun 2004

Update

well after doing some research and hearing some advice from u guys i finally bought 2004 Giant Yukon.....hardtail.

Pretty impressed with it so far.

but in Satin Black.

Click for Specs

Mar 2004
    Nice ride..! Can't go wrong with a Giant..

b_r