Ontario Trails Strategy- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Feb 2005

Ontario Trails Strategy

In early December the Ontario Government created a Minister's Advisory Committe on trails to provide advice on the development of an Ontario Trails Stratgy. Of the 19 groups appointed to the advisory committee none represented cycling of any kind. Of the 9 topics covered at the stakeholder workshops, none addressed the need for trail construction standereds. No emphasis was placed on environmental and social sustainability of trails.
    I.M.B.A. has proven itself as an outstanding trails organization in every aspect and yet was not invited to the table. The process is happening far to fast with very little oppertunity for public comment. I wonder where MTBiking access will be after the Ontario Trails Strategy comes into effect. Would anyone like to comment on the future of MTBiking through Public Property? Does anyone have an idea that would improve riding in Ontario?

banned
    Feb 2005
    All the info can now be found here www.ene.gov.on.ca/envregistry/024689ep.htm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred
    In early December the Ontario Government created a Minister's Advisory Committe on trails to provide advice on the development of an Ontario Trails Stratgy. Of the 19 groups appointed to the advisory committee none represented cycling of any kind. Of the 9 topics covered at the stakeholder workshops, none addressed the need for trail construction standereds. No emphasis was placed on environmental and social sustainability of trails.
    I.M.B.A. has proven itself as an outstanding trails organization in every aspect and yet was not invited to the table. The process is happening far to fast with very little oppertunity for public comment. I wonder where MTBiking access will be after the Ontario Trails Strategy comes into effect. Would anyone like to comment on the future of MTBiking through Public Property? Does anyone have an idea that would improve riding in Ontario?
    I'm really surprised that IMBA was not involved since they just opened up their Canadian offices and this could have been a chance to make a big move and show how they plan on supporting mountain bikers in Canada.
    19 (User) groups? I can't think of 19 outdoor sports that would have that much pull in Ontario that would not include mountain biking and I'm even reaching into Golf here Hunting? ATV? Skidoo? Motorcyle? Horses? XC Skiers? Hikers? Mushroom pickers? Geocachers? Why is mountain biking at least not on this list?
    IMBA will have a booth at the bike show this year I would suggest everybody who is going and interested please approach their table and ask them about this situation. If I do go I will be bringing this up.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    (Heh, heh.....mushroom pickers)

Thanks for the heads-up, guys!

I've just sent a quick e-mail and the link to that notice to one of the Ontario reps. from IMBA, in case they had not heard of the plan.

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pucker Factor
    (Heh, heh.....mushroom pickers)
    I thought I posted a ride report in this forum where we were lectured by a guy out picking mushrooms. He had a hat on that read something like "Ontario Federation of Wild Mushroom Pickers." He proceeded to ask/lecture us about who built the trail we were riding on and if we were aware of the costs to the region. I got the feeling he didn't like mountain bikers because we could scare horses. I think he likes horses because they fertilize the mushrooms.
    Don't mess with the Ontario Federation of Wild Mushroom Pickers they've got trail rights too. If the guy were we lectured by is any inidcation they're an crotchity (sp?) bunch too!

PS. We were riding in control at the time and the only reason why he was able to talk to us is because we stopped to have a friendly chat with him which he took as an opportunity to bum us out. I was hoping to learn stuff about wild mushrooms.

mtbr member

want to know about wild mushrooms

I was hoping to learn stuff about wild mushrooms. [/QUOTE]

Chew, chew ,chew...wait......wait....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

whats else is there to know....

:
    Last edited by smiley; 03-03-2005 at 01:59 PM. Reason: same old thang..sp

banned
    Feb 2005

rbart4506

rbart4506

"Do you ralize that the only way for this sport to continue to grow is to increase the access to trails, not limit access."

You sound so smart.
    Please tell us all how to handle the liability and insurance issues, which is the heart of the
    access problem.

I expect you will say nothing because that is likely what you do about trail access, nothing.

They say I have a problem
    Will you please stop hijacking my threads and taking quotes out of context!!

Now what have I done for trail access...Not tons, but I do what I can...I was part of the trail building crew at Kelso when the Xtreem trail was constructed...I've done some other trail maintenance days....I've talked to the conservation authority in the Dundas Valley about trails issues and conditions...I've been in contact with IMBA about those same trails in Dundas and the possibility of IMBA sanctioned work in the area...I behave as a responsible mountain biker whenever I am out riding...I am friendly and curtious to other users and aid people when needed (eg lost hikers/bikers)...I say hi to everyone and make sure people don't see me as a problem biker...I stay off the trails when they are wet and it is inaapropriate to ride...

Could I do more, yes...But I do work and have a family, plus other responsibilities so there's only so many hours in a day...

Rich...

PS...Please stop cross quoting me!!!
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred
    rbart4506

"Do you ralize that the only way for this sport to continue to grow is to increase the access to trails, not limit access."

You sound so smart.
    Please tell us all how to handle the liability and insurance issues, which is the heart of the
    access problem.

I expect you will say nothing because that is likely what you do about trail access, nothing.
    That was a bit harsh. I'm assuming you know him and as his friend, have a disagreement with him?

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    That was a bit harsh. I'm assuming you know him and as his friend, have a disagreement with him?
    Nope never met him before...Sorry answering for rbart4506...

Shell

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut

that darn Rich guy...nope.. nobody knows him.. and the ones that do think he is a meen guy..LOL

Hi shell.. congrats on the new road bike..lets get together for a ride, and together we can push Rich off the trails.. into a wild mushroom patch. full of horse stuff... so he can blaze a new stinking trail.. accross the lands..( grin)..

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Irritated_muppet
    that darn Rich guy...nope.. nobody knows him.. and the ones that do think he is a meen guy..LOL

Hi shell.. congrats on the new road bike..lets get together for a ride, and together we can push Rich off the trails.. into a wild mushroom patch. full of horse stuff... so he can blaze a new stinking trail.. accross the lands..( grin)..
    Hi there Mr Muppet...

Been a while...I didn't know who this was at first...

Thanks for the congrats...Maybe you can make it down our way some time...

Shell

They say I have a problem
    Well Shell will feel at home following my stink *laugh*....

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"