Ontario Singletrack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Ontario Singletrack

am going on a family vacation to Ontario near Halliburton and Caenarvon. I think we are staying on Boshkung lake. I was looking for singletrack within an hour drive. Also if there is some easier stuff around my 6 year old will probably want to ride some to.

trail gnome
    Some of the trails at Haliburton Forest & Wild Life Reserve are family friendly. Mostly double-track from what I remember.

Sir Sam's

Google says Buckwallow is exactly an hour away from Haliburton.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    There are trails just outside of Haliburton at Glebe Park. They are fun, but in no way beginner friendly. They are old-school tech. Super fun to ride for an experienced mountain biker. Probably misery for most mountain bikers.

I haven't mountain biked Haliburton Forest in years. It used to be pretty rough. Deep bush and a lot of bugs. I doubt a child would like it.

Sir Sams is great, but more appropriate for intermediate/experienced mountain bikers.

I suggest enjoying the lake! And buying beer at the Haliburton Highlands Brewery (3 minutes east of Carnavon) and Boshkung (right in Carnarvon).

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Buckwallow is excellent, very well maintained and has trails for all skill levels. Saw some kids on bikes when I was there last summer. This would be my first destination.

Glebe Park is pretty fun. It's a short loop, but it's central. I don't think it's as techie as AdamfromCanada is suggesting. Far from it. There are some technical rock rolls and punchy climbs, but many of those can be by-passed. That said, it might be a bit much for all but the most enthusiastic 6-year-old.

Sir Sam's is also lots of fun. You can do lift access (magic carpet) on the weekends. There's a mix of downhill and xc single track. I do the downhill on an Anthem SX, so there's no need for a big-travel bike unless you want to smash it at top speed.

EDIT: One more to add, Torrance Barrens. It's a bit further west from Buckwallow and I haven't ridden myself, but I've heard it's a great mellow ride and a very interesting location.