ontario hot singletracks equal to fruita ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. ontario hot singletracks equal to fruita ?

Does Ontario have any hot single tracks that is equal to fruita or moab in the US? Is Ontario becoming too boring or too Canadian? Has anyone ridden the trails in Algonquin park ?

LBS Manager

Lots of great trails

But if we want to keep them we better not post them here. Think about why some trails are hidden gems. and keep them that way or they might be gone before you know it . Remember the case with our favorite laywer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    But if we want to keep them we better not post them here. Think about why some trails are hidden gems. and keep them that way or they might be gone before you know it . Remember the case with our favorite laywer.

yeah. I remember our favorite, lovable lawyer. I believe I know which trail you are refering too. I wish we have legal option of banning lawyers from mtb trail completely. They are liability to us.

banned
    Feb 2005

Ride?

Looks like somebody gave you a ride out of the GTA.
    Have you rode Johnny's trail at the Heights? Bud

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

what johny trail?

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred
    Looks like somebody gave you a ride out of the GTA.
    Have you rode Johnny's trail at the Heights? Bud
    You are back phatty. How are you doing?
    What johny trail ? The name is not even on the book I bought from bike store.

banned
    Feb 2005

Loser

Loser

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Moron !

Apr 2005
    I love all that simcoe single track - the heights and all the surrounding stuff.. it's awesome (including arguably Hardwood Hills, because even though it's its own closed system the topography is similar). The stuff at the Heights and surrounding is even better though..

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. What simcoe track ?

Quote Originally Posted by fastwheniwanttobe
    I love all that simcoe single track - the heights and all the surrounding stuff.. it's awesome (including arguably Hardwood Hills, because even though it's its own closed system the topography is similar). The stuff at the Heights and surrounding is even better though..

What simcoe track are you referring to fastwheniwanttobe? I am not familiar with it.

mtbr member
    Lawyer? Maybe I shouldn't ask.

What's wrong with HH, Picard? Bored with it, or ....... ? I can understand if you're going there all the time - it gets repetitous if you get used to it. Where all have you gone to? (yes, i'm also casing where to ride this year now that i'm back into it )

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Lawyer? Maybe I shouldn't ask.

What's wrong with HH, Picard? Bored with it, or ....... ? I can understand if you're going there all the time - it gets repetitous if you get used to it. Where all have you gone to? (yes, i'm also casing where to ride this year now that i'm back into it )
    Hey man, I am no lawyer. I am technical support in IT. I am not some low life , greedy SOB. I rode H/H many times. The trails are predictable. I want to do wilderness trail like Durham forest or Buck wallow. PM me this May so we can ride. I want long expedition type ride. I don't like stunts man. I wipe out once. scared once is enough !!

They say I have a problem
    Uhh Picard, you are in Southern Ontario...There aren't too many wilderness trails...That includes Durham...You should try Haliburton Forest...They've got some nice trails there and I'd consider that wilderness...If you can get hold of a car and feel like crossing the border I can definitely recommend the Pisgah Forest in Western North Carolina....Now that is wilderness trails!!

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Best in West and Best in East

There isn't much like Fruita in Ontario, even as good as our local trails are, they can't compare.

Fruita is some of the best riding in the west, Luclily we're only 7hrs from some of the best riding in the east at Kingdom Trails, VT. It's worth heading out if you have a car and 4 days to go do some riding out there.

You may want to look into some of the trails in Tremblant as well, their single track was pretty epic last time I rode it, but that was a few years ago, it may even better now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad-WL
    There isn't much like Fruita in Ontario, even as good as our local trails are, they can't compare.

Fruita is some of the best riding in the west, Luclily we're only 7hrs from some of the best riding in the east at Kingdom Trails, VT. It's worth heading out if you have a car and 4 days to go do some riding out there.

You may want to look into some of the trails in Tremblant as well, their single track was pretty epic last time I rode it, but that was a few years ago, it may even better now.
    What trails in Tremblant? There is no mountain biking in Tremblant. You can ride a mountain bike to the village of Tremblant, but that is very tame, boring ride.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    Does Ontario have any hot single tracks that is equal to fruita or moab in the US? Is Ontario becoming too boring or too Canadian? Has anyone ridden the trails in Algonquin park ?
    There is nothing like Fruita or Moab in Ontario. We have trees and I can't explain to you how weird it is riding without trees above you. I live in downtown Toronto and it was just weird staying in Fruita without buildings towering over me too. We have some areas just as technical (little known secret: people only take pictures of the technical sections) but we don't have the elevation gains, large amount of slick rock, the epic straight line rides (we have usually have loops) and we're not a desert. We have different fauna and flora why would you want Ontario riding to change?

I've never ridden the trails in Algonquin (hiked and portaged some) but I have ridden Haliburton Forest and I think it has some good riding.
    Last edited by Braids; 04-18-2005 at 07:48 AM.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!

Algonquin Park bike trails

You were asking about Algonquin Park....

The Minesing Mountain Bike Trail (XC skiing in winter) has a mix of very rocky sections, some hills, some smooth single track, and several boggy, muddy sections.

There are 3 or 4 different loops you can take, depending on how much riding you want to do. The longest is about 24 km, I believe. It's usually pretty wet in there until late summer, and it can be very buggy as well.

It's definitely worth trying out if you're in the area, but I don't know if I'd drive the 3-4 hours from the GTA just for a day on those trails. There's also a short trail at the Southern tip of the park that you can take bikes on, but I haven't ridden it.

The rest of the trails in the park are reclaimed rail beds. Not very exciting, but okay for beginners.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. good trails ?

I don't mind driving biking park outside of GTA but it better be exciting. The only place left is Durham forest, Buck wallow. Do you guys know any provincial park that has good trails above barrie?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    What trails in Tremblant? There is no mountain biking in Tremblant. You can ride a mountain bike to the village of Tremblant, but that is very tame, boring ride.
    8 years ago I was riding there, and there were a few of other riders doing downhill as well there. I rode with a friend up the really long trail up a km or two and headed across the face on single track, continued for about 6 hours having no idea where we were and passed one person on fire trails.

Some of the best riding I've done..

Apr 2005
    Picard, there's a system of literally hundreds of kilometres of local-maintained trails around the Heights of Horseshoe.. part of this system was host to Lake to Lake North last year. Very easy to get lost in but oh so awesome. Whenever I've ridden them it's been with locals so I never get lost, but i'd be screwed on my own. Worth a trip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad-WL
    8 years ago I was riding there, and there were a few of other riders doing downhill as well there. I rode with a friend up the really long trail up a km or two and headed across the face on single track, continued for about 6 hours having no idea where we were and passed one person on fire trails.

Some of the best riding I've done..
    Got it, but today they don't allow any mountain biking on the mountain itself. I go there skiing in the winter and trail running in the summer or fall. No biking allowed whatsoever these days.

Speaking of trail runnnig, anyone tried the Festival of Colors run, where you get to run from the bottom to the top (pretty much straight up the mountain) against time? I did it twice and managed to get close to 37 minutes. The very best do it under 30 minutes, but then I am 42 years old.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

trails around horseshoe ?

Picard, there's a system of literally hundreds of kilometres of local-maintained trails around the Heights of Horseshoe.. part of this system was host to Lake to Lake North last year. Very easy to get lost in but oh so awesome. Whenever I've ridden them it's been with locals so I never get lost, but i'd be screwed on my own. Worth a trip.

where are the trails around heights of Horseshoe? Are they located near niagra region? I am not familiar with it. Can you describe how to get there?

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    hehehe... you want wilderness... check out haliburton forest fer sure... just don't book the bears den (cause that's our favorite cabin )
    the trails are one of the best in ON, long, some very tech stuff, and wild (I mean bearpoo on trail kind of wild ) ...we rode 12hrs (with a couple of breaks) one day.... it was awsum...bloody beat after though love that place
    I Ride, I Know

Custom User Title

Good job! best riding in Ontario for my money...

I also like to get WAY out the city when I do my riding and for that reason I agree that Haliburton Forest and Algonquin Park are tied for the best camping/riding in the province.

Both have more trail that I can take in for a weekend and camping that is camping, not elbow to elbow in a field with other campers.

Both have great online resources,
    http://www.haliburtonforest.com/bike.htm
    http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/mustrails/biktrail.html

Best part is.. they actually welcome mountain bikers

Everything south of these spots are too busy, too short or just too boring for me. I do love to slip out to Hardwood Hills to prep for my weekend trips, but again, if adventure is your thing you will be bored and tire of the crowds. I have tried looking around the Barrie area for some better training spots but fireroads and double track are not worth the effort, I might as well save the hassle and road ride till I can get away.

Last edited by Bill Payer; 04-20-2005 at 11:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. time driving to haliburton forest ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Payer
    I also like to get WAY out the city when I do my riding and for that reason I agree that Haliburton Forest and Algonquin Park are tied for the best camping/riding in the province.

Both have more trail that I can take in for a weekend and camping that is camping, not elbow to elbow in a field with other campers.

Both have great online resources,
    http://www.haliburtonforest.com/bike.htm
    http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/mustrails/biktrail.html

Best part is.. they actually welcome mountain bikers

Everything south of these spots are too busy, too short or just too boring for me. I do love to slip out to Hardwood Hills to prep for my weekend trips, but again, if adventure is your thing you will be bored and tire of the crowds. I have tried looking around the Barrie area for some better training spots but fireroads and double track are not worth the effort, I might as well save the hassle and road ride till I can get away.

Hey Bil Payer, do you know if I need a GPS to ride haliburton forest? How long does it take to drive from TO to haliburton forest ? I never visit that place before.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!

Haliburton Forest

A free, colour coded trail map is provided when you sign in at the office. A GPS isn't needed to get around, but you could bring one for the sake of curiosity.

If you want to camp there, book NOW! The camp sites get snapped up very quickly, and you'll be SOL.

I hear that it's quite muddy and buggy there until later in the summer. Fantastic trails though....you won't be disappointed.

Drive time is about 4 hours from the GTA.

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    damn... 4hrs????... I think he meant by car....
    2.5hr MAX
    I Ride, I Know

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Well, I guess maybe 4 hours is a bit generous, but I'm not sure where exactly he's coming from in the GTA, so I gave it a bit extra. Traffic definitely is a factor, too.

Coming from Brampton, I think it took us almost 3.5 hours to get there. If you can get there in 2.5 hours, I'm coming with you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Lets stick to Durham forest.

I live in East York area, Victoria park subway. It seems that Haliburton is far away. I would need careful planning. I just stick to Durham forest this summer. It is big enough I hope. I want long ride in forest. If there is any predator, I will shoot first ask question later. That's my Clint Eastwood motto.

Are you guys going to durham when weather gets better ??????

I already rode that
    My friends and I usually ride at durham/glen major during the summer. I usually dont get lost there unless my friend starts leading us through GM's fireroads then I get confused to where I am.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I think what the title of this thread should've been is "Is there any great riding in Southern Ontario?"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    sorry I forgot this....