An Ontario boy's journey to Whistler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

An Ontario boy's journey to Whistler

Figured I would try and do my share in pumping some more awesomeness into this forum.

Warning: Banter and off-topic discussion is highly welcomed in this thread. I may also poke fun at various elements of this forum. Please don't get your panties in a bunch! If you do, just click the 'go back' button and find some sites with panties.

Why am I doing this?
    I've never been a blogger, but having followed some great adventures in the ride report section of advrider.com (Find any reports by rtw_doug and you may be hooked too. Nothing like an redneck Alabama boy traveling around the world on bikes that are older than he is). With that inspiration I've been meaning to try and detail one of my own mini-adventures.

Goal: I hope to dazzle the reader with dangerous feats of riding DH in clipless pedals. I hope that a BC hospital is not part of my stay, but if I do, I will post pictures. Other than that, I might try to keep you amused. Hopefully I snap a couple good pictures, maybe a video of me cleaning a 2" up (that's not a unit typo). Generally, I'm doing this trip solo and I'm about as anti-social as you come (why do you think I spend all my time here, mostly lurking). So my evenings will be free to sit in my underwear, while having a beer, keeping the world informed of what I had for dinner.

Where to begin: Life's kicked me in the nuts a few too many times in the past 3 months. This trip was starting out more as a vacation, but it's definitely going to be an avenue for further soul searching. Good, I was tired of soul searching along the escarpment.

About me: I like long walks on a beach, dinners by candle light....wait, wrong website. Started riding MTB in the early 90's as a young teen. From then I've played around with almost every style of bike you can think of, on virtually every medium (I don't miss the BMX days when we would do the 30 km 'epic's into town). Call it the ADD, call it just enjoying bikes, but I like anything with two wheels.

When I try to define what biking means or what I get out of biking, it usually comes back to the same general definition over the past 25 years: A bike is a tool to take me places. Sometimes it's over technical terrain, destination nowhere, sometimes it straight up a paved mountain for an incredible vista and occasionally it's on something like a poodle path to a waterfall.

If I had to define my favorite MTB ride, it would be going fast. I spent 4 years riding some of the slowest, most technical XC out on the east coast. I enjoyed every ride, but dam, I like southern ontario clay. To me there is nothing that compares to being a jedi knight, dodging trees at mach chicken, heart pounding, feeling that good burn that comes with knowing you alone are keeping the pace. Legal disclaimer: I do this when it's safe, closed trails only, never 50 km/hr over the speed limit.

So why do you ask, am I going to Whistler, I don't think I'll find much clay there. Well, cause I like to ride anything and try anything, and Whistler is apparently popular for biking.

So why am I posting all of this now? I don't actually leave till Saturday. Well, cause I just packed up my bike and figured I'd tease ya'll a little.

Here she be.

I'm bringing my Jenson purchased, Fedex shipped YETI ASR. Some details of the steed.

Squishy parts: RLC 100, RP3. Close to 100 mm of Whistler destroying suspension

Wheels: Mavic 317 on XT hubs. Kenda Karma tires. 2.0's. I have no clue if those tires will be good (surely too narrow), but I had this wheelset just lying around and figured it was better than taking my race wheels. If you've read my other post, I normally ride specialized fast traks at 35 PSI. These can't be worse!

Drive train and brakes: 2011 XTR. 2x10, running 28/40 and 11-36. Should get me up most anything.

Cockpit and other touchables. WTB Silverado, Ergon grips, Time Z pedals. A bunch of Easton carbon stuff as well.

Will it all hold up? You'll have to stay tuned to find out.

Next installment: I'll be laying out my gear, tools, etc. Feel free to chime in with anything I'm missing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I love your post Jeff. Hope you have a great time soul searching is Whistler. Riding out west is completely different from riding in Ontario/Quebec. I find people are more laid back and sociable even for an anti-social like you. You will probably end up in some staff accomodation drinking with some barely legal girls and guys riding with running shoes and flat pedals. Have fun and maybe will have a Niagara endurance ride plan on you return.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cool. I'm flying to Calgary on Friday, and should be at Whistler by the 19th (by way of Kananaskis, Golden, Fernie, Nelson, Rossland and North Van). How long are you spending there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jduffett View Post
    Cool. I'm flying to Calgary on Friday, and should be at Whistler by the 19th (by way of Kananaskis, Golden, Fernie, Nelson, Rossland and North Van). How long are you spending there?
    I'm leaving Saturday the 21st (early, not riding).

I should be doing one day of DH and one day of XC 19 and 20th. Message me, maybe I'll have a line on these barely legal girls that JC speaks of.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    ....So my evenings will be free to sit in my underwear, while having a beer, keeping the world informed of what I had for dinner...
    bad brain pictures...damn you.

nice post - look forward to reading more
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Evil Jr.
    Have a great time Jeff! I've only ever been to Whistler once and that was Creekside at the end of BCBR but it was still a blast. May your soul return fully searched and your body fully intact!
    Last edited by garage monster; 08-09-2011 at 07:06 AM. Reason: typo!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Looking forward to your reports, you will have a blast!

We had a chance to ride at Whistler for a few days back in May. Because of the limited amount of time we had for riding, we chose to rent Stumpjumpers from Arbutus Routes (fantastic peeps, highly recommended). Thanks to our timing, visiting early in the season, the bikes were basically brand new. The riding was epic, even an Albion-loving clipped-in smooth-legged roadie-type like me couldn't help but fall in love with the flowy, rocky trails!

Best memory of the trip - the post-ride nachos (best nachos ever!) and beers at the base of the mountain on the patio of Fairmont Chateau Whistler. (pre-requisite culinary photo evidence attached)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails An Ontario boy's journey to Whistler-nachos.jpg  

Jouko

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Boy you gunna's die with that bike.

Worst tire choice eva.

Do yourself a favour go get a 2.35 Minion DHF for the front and either a 2.35 Larson TT or 2.20 Crossmark for the rear. You won't notice the loss in speed, but you will notice the extra traction and the volume.

Also how long is that stem 180mm? 200mm perhaps? Swap it out to 60mm or 70mm.

Those two small changes will help you enjoy the trails a bit more. Less racer position a little more upright and ready to tackle the tech.

What is your must ride list? I don't know all of the valley trails but I can maybe steer you towards some of the better stuff. Are you sticking to just Whistler? Or any plan to venture up to Pemberton? If you can swing it I highly suggest a big day in Pemby, it's the tits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Boy you gunna's die with that bike.

Worst tire choice eva.

Do yourself a favour go get a 2.35 Minion DHF for the front and either a 2.35 Larson TT or 2.20 Crossmark for the rear. You won't notice the loss in speed, but you will notice the extra traction and the volume.

Also how long is that stem 180mm? 200mm perhaps? Swap it out to 60mm or 70mm.

Those two small changes will help you enjoy the trails a bit more. Less racer position a little more upright and ready to tackle the tech.

What is your must ride list? I don't know all of the valley trails but I can maybe steer you towards some of the better stuff. Are you sticking to just Whistler? Or any plan to venture up to Pemberton? If you can swing it I highly suggest a big day in Pemby, it's the tits.

The stem's only 160 mm, but I run it with a -10 degree rise and flat bar. I had to disassemble the bull horn's, but they packed in their nicely.

If you are serious about the tires, let me know. I am a classic run what your brung, but if you think it will be a lot better, I might listen.

I don't have a must ride list. I'm going pretty fluid. From what I've read, getting a guide in a shop is a must do, so I'll likely just do that and plan from there. Obviously Comfortably Numb will be ridden, kill me thrill me, a river runs through it.

http://www.epicrides.ca/whistler_bike_trails.pdf

I'm guessing I'll just load up and start getting lost.

And I'm going to be staying in Whistler the entire time. To keep costs reasonable (as I'm heading alone), I choose between car rental, or nice accommodations. I picked nice accommodations, so I have a condo for the week. While I'd love to head out and explore, I'll have plenty to keep me busy for the week and it will just give me an opportunity to come back and ride elsewhere!

Evil Jr.
    I'm sure that people that have been there loads of times have a lot of other ideas (like I said, we were there just one night), but I can tell you that we really enjoyed our dinner out on the patio at Rim Rock Cafe. They treated us awesomely even though we showed up looking like we'd just been in a 7-day stage race.

Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Certainly serious on both the stem and tires.

Standard issue "Trail" bike for most all riders out here is a 5x5 or 6x6 with 2.35-2.5 tires (single ply no need for DH).

I agree to an extent with run what you brung, but if you are not going to be racing I'd go for a set up that is going to be more fun. The higher volume tires will be a little more forgiving on the rocks and roots, more aggressive side knobs are going to bite into the loose trail bed surface better.

Short stem is going to help with all the steeps and tech sections. No need to go to the silly 40mm and 50 that some locals prefer on their trail bikes, but a 70 will go along ways to helping.

mtbr member
    Certainly serious on both the stem and tires.

Standard issue "Trail" bike for most all riders out here is a 5x5 or 6x6 with 2.35-2.5 tires (single ply no need for DH).

I agree to an extent with run what you brung, but if you are not going to be racing I'd go for a set up that is going to be more fun. The higher volume tires will be a little more forgiving on the rocks and roots, more aggressive side knobs are going to bite into the loose trail bed surface better.

Short stem is going to help with all the steeps and tech sections. No need to go to the silly 40mm and 50 that some locals prefer on their trail bikes, but a 70 will go along ways to helping.
    Well the stem is already a 90 mm with a + 10 degree. As far as 'XC' race bikes go, the YETI certainly leans more towards a trail bike geometry.

Another good friend, who I trust advice from thoroughly, always rides the same bike and just asks locals about the best tires for the area. So maybe I'll look into that. It wouldn't be bad to have something other than a semi-slick in my shop!

Eat me.
    Jun 2006
    Getting something in a 2.3+ tire size would be loads of difference from a 2.0. Though I've never ridden in Whistler, while farting around at Kelso one day, I decided to bring some 2.3 Panaracer Razer MX's I had lying around. Traction is pretty crappy, but just the increase in tire volume compared to 2.1s made running over rock outcroppings and other chudder much smoother and made for a more confidence-inspiring, risk-taking ride overall. Had 717 rims similar to yours, but wished I had a wider rim like an 819 to take more advantage of the wider tire.

Looking forward to the blogging!

namagomi
    Something to remember when pumping the tires to 60psi and getting ready to drop-in to that 2" vertical slope - even in BC ambulance trips come out of your own pocket and you can't fly for months if you puncture a lung.

Also I agree soul riding is hard(particularly in clipless and a sausage suit) on the escarpment when you have some curmudgeons in hemp clothing and brand new Merrells shouting at you to stop killing the salamander.

mtbr member
    I'm jealous as hell....The last time I was in BC was for work and we got there a week after the park closed and I never got a chance to ride

Have a blast man, keep us updated.

mtbr member
    I was there in late June/Early July. For sure bring some wider rubber, soft compound isn't a bad thing either. I used 2.35 Nevs (Stick-E folding bead) and they were fine, not the fastest rolling but predictable in wet weather, good grip on rock/roots and reasonable weight.

Being able to get your weight as far back as possible when negotiating steep sections is key so think about the stem length. I have a 90mm stem but also a short TT on my frame so it makes for a good balance.

Kill me Thrill me was a blast and a good primer ride:

Kill Me Thrill Me trail ride | Mountain Biking in Canada

The only weird part was a helicopter taking off when we were downwind from the helipad which made for some not so fresh BC air....other then that, it was an awesome way for us to start our BC trip.

Have fun, the place is truly a mtb paradise.

bi-winning
    Cheers to riding somewhere new once in a while. Have a good trip CptSydor.

When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    I haven't forgotten about everyone. Been a little busy with family visiting, sitting on beaches, playing in waves, you know, hard work.

Friday is my big prep day and I'll be sure to give you a run down on the gear I am taking. It will include a wide array of sausage suits to meet the demands of changing variables like my mood and the shade of the sky that day.

Right now I want to introduce you to the most important accessory (or should I say accessories) for this trip.

If you have e-stalked me in these forums, which I certainly expect you have, (who wouldn't?), you will realize I enjoy rides that are occasionally long.

My goal in this trip, on the XC side is to see as much of the trail as I can, maybe sometimes twice. I fully expect to log 20+ hour week on the pedaling (XC) side of things (and I mean pedaling, not leaning on my saddle talking about how many hours I rode the week before, which is nothing, I've been at the beach!)

In that regard, Monkey Butt can become a problem. So I have packed my Monkey Butt prevention/treatment kit. This was put together for my by a pharmacist before transrockies a couple years ago. It works. Here are the contents.

So, your eyes probably went straight to the bottom. I'm just going to come out and say it, yep, that is a women's vaginal fungal cream. I thought the same thing when the pharmacist handed it to me. The look on my face led the pharmacist to re-assure me with a 'just trust me' and 'apply liberally in the event of anything catastrophic'.

So how do I use all this. Well the vasoline is a preventative. I've used some other products, but a liberal dolloping to the contact regions before a ride seems to work well for me. You can also use it mid ride if you wish to carry it, or say in the pit at a solo 8 hour. Just remember, if you apply mid ride, eat before application. Learned that one mid way through an 8 hour solo (actually it didn't bother me so much as my pit crew).

The zinc dioxide cream (baby butt stuff) and hydrocortisone cream are mostly just for light irritations. I find a light application of either keeps the area healing faster in subsequent long days (zinc dioxide for lighter shades of red, yes, with a mirror, you can check that area. looking is the best way to obtain empirical data).

The other stuff. Well that's if things go wrong. I can say, even though the tube looks well squeezed, I've only used it once or twice when things got bad after number of long, hard, shwetty, rubbing days; mostly preventative. I'm guessing if you won't wear a sausage suit, you probably wouldn't be caught dead with that in your kit, which is fine. A general topical anti-bacterial might substitute, but talk to your medical professional. I only play on the internet.

So that's it for today. Just working on getting my phone app'd up to record my routes so I can carry just one device, instead of GPS, phone and camera. Also configuring my new iPad. That's going to make updating on a patio with a beer so much easier. Hopefully with barely legal girls. In that case, the updates won't be all that good (or I'll direct you to other sites )

Finally, if you found this update offensive, uninformative, or just stupid. You may want to unscribe now!

Evil Jr.
    Well now I know what Canesten is!

Anyhoo, when I've had to protect the nether regions (which is rare enough), I've always gone with a single-can solution: Bag Balm. Seems to do the trick OK.

Don't forget to pack the moleskin!

mtbr member
    have a great trip
    hope your posts are heavy on the pics

namagomi
    Squirting Canesten on your man-hole is hardcore or crazy... Speaking of, I can't decide if looking at that picture is depressing or intimidating.

mtbr member
    @ GM

Funny, never, ever had an issue with my feet. The point where I don't even thing about them when prepping for any extended riding.

@ Trailtrash

I promise lots of pictures and less attempts at being funny when I arrive in BC. Till then, I promise nothing.

@ Electrik

Everything you are experiencing is natural. Just go with your feelings and let them be your guide in this journey.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Finally, if you found this update offensive, uninformative, or just stupid. You may want to unscribe now!
    This is a good place for me to hang out. A bantering-encouraged thread about an awesome bike trip. Also, I never know what you're going to say next and that is a good thing.
    Subscribed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    have a great trip
    hope your posts are heavy on the pics
    Yes, but hopefully he leaves the application of ointment pics on the iphone!

I've got a bad image in my head of someone at an 8 hour with vaseline all over their lips.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Subscribed. I'm interested in how you find the "XC" at Whistler on that bike. I'd definitely be sketched out on KMTM on something like that. But I'm a hack.

I would look into different tires and probably a shorter stem, though. I think it will probably make things more enjoyable for you. I found 2.35" super-tacky Minion DHFs worked quite well for BC XC. They're not too big but they offer good grip and predictable cornering and braking, though you'd probably find the added rolling resistance weird for a while. The tradeoff is worth it for those trails.

Now all I can think about is riding in BC, damn you!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yikes glad I ditched the sausage suits over a decade ago.

mtbr member
    Alright, so testing out some of the new technology with this post. Coming from my iPad.

Got some new tires. Hard to break old habits. I really didn't want buy a set of tires that were not going to get much use beyond this trip. I wanted something that would have some form of application back in souther ontario if I was going to drop some coin. Talking with some fellow riders, who ride in quite a few varied conditions around the world, they are running Maxxis advantages. Upon recommendation I went with a 2.25 front and 2.1 rear, hopefully they will serve as a solid comprise in both places. Frankly, they look like dirt bike tires compared to what I'm used to. Pumping them up to only 30 psi seemed like that was plenty. Stayed 2.1 rear as i was unsure of the clearance on the Yeti, but it's pretty narrow. I am learning, just slowly.

Picture, just so I can practice.

Also got my gps up an running on my phone. The app wasn't working then magically did. Part of the HCC hill climb route tonight. (Edit, good thing it worked, cause apparently my GPS falling off my motorcycle at 100 km/h, not a software problem is preventing it from picking up a signa.)

<!-- Start MMF Embed Tool -->
    <iframe id="mmf_blog_map" src="https://js.mapmyfitness.com/embed/blogview.html?r=904131310260599642&u=e&t=ride" height="500px" width="400px" frameborder="0">
    <a href="https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/45657628">iMapMyRide: Aug 11, 2011 06:43 PM</a><br/>
    <a href="https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/?location=Hamilton, ON">Find more Cycling Routes / Bike Rides in Hamilton, ON</a>
    </iframe>
    <!-- End MMF Embed Tool -->
    Last edited by CptSydor; 08-11-2011 at 07:06 PM.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=CptSydor;8333361]

I promise lots of pictures and less attempts at being funny when I arrive in BC. Till then, I promise nothing.

but humour's a good thing

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=trailtrash;8337126]

but humour's a good thing
    I was just saying that, trying not to drive people away thinking they were going to get an documentary on antifungal application. I didn't really mean it however. There will be plenty random crap, plenty of pictures, and plenty things that may make you go . From what I'm hearing though, people don't want all three at once.

Oh and just cause I went to the dentist today and had some local freezing.

Kramer - Dentist and fitness club - YouTube

mtbr member
    Sub'ed, can't wait for some pics and vids. Btw, how long is the plane ride to BC and how soon after are you hitting the trails?
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikojan View Post
    Sub'ed, can't wait for some pics and vids. Btw, how long is the plane ride to BC and how soon after are you hitting the trails?
    Plane ride is 5 hours. I arrive at 9:00 am PST Saturday. That gives me an hour to collect everything and make my shuttle. If not, I've got 3 more hours to waste in the airport . Should get in 12:30, check in, build my bike. I figure I can be out getting a sense of BC trails by 3:00 pm!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I just got back from 2 weeks in BC, My wife and I spent 6 days in Whistler. This thread my inspire to put together an account of my experiences!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanner View Post
    I just got back from 2 weeks in BC, My wife and I spent 6 days in Whistler. This thread my inspire to put together an account of my experiences!
    Excellent.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Evil Jr.
    Plane ride is 5 hours. I arrive at 9:00 am PST Saturday. That gives me an hour to collect everything and make my shuttle. If not, I've got 3 more hours to waste in the airport . Should get in 12:30, check in, build my bike. I figure I can be out getting a sense of BC trails by 3:00 pm!!!
    Ooh, that could be tight if they take their time with oversize.

AC from Pearson I assume? (IIRC, Westjet connects in Calgary from Hamilton.)

mtbr member
    GM, yes flying AC, didn't feel like connecting with a bike even with the ease of flying out of Hamilton. I hope everything runs smooth and the bags come out quick.

Stuff is getting organized, finally getting some laundry done.

The bike gear

Deuter Race eXp air pack. I don't much like packs, but just got this one and it's nice.
    2L bladder
    Few extra tubes
    Pump (with duct tape)
    CO2 head if I feel like picking up some cartridges
    Tire lever
    Mini-tool w/ chain break
    Chain lube
    10 speed quick link
    Surgical gloves
    electrical tape
    Park tool patch quick patch kit
    Put in some zip ties after taking the pic
    Pedal wrench
    Pedals
    Shoes, two sets.
    Helmet
    Road ID
    Riding glasses
    E-load supplies
    2 bottles
    Creams and ointments
    Head lamp (just always travel with one)

Things I need: A couple rags, small first aid kid (unfortunately mine is buried in storage right now)

Things I wish I had: Spare hanger.

Everything will go in my gear bag, except a set of shoes (and second set of pedals) in the bike box. That way, if either gets lots, I have at least a 1/2 complete kit needed for riding.

The clothing

5 varied sausage kits
    'baggy' kit for park riding
    6 pairs of socks
    3 sets of gloves
    Arm and knee warmers
    Vest
    Packable shell

Anything you might bring?

Anything you might bring?
    naw...you're good

except that 'hanger'...Murphy's Law and all..

your bike will be rad for the XC trails there (i did a race there back in '07 on a 80mm titus racer-x)...it was kinda skurry...but fun

this is gonna be a good thread...

Evil Jr.
    The only thing I'd add is every tool you used to break down your bike to pack it. I think I saw a minitool in there but I'd prefer the real deal for re-assembly.

Already looking forward to the next post!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Is the Yeti a unique hanger? I don't think there is a single Yeti dealer in Whistler or the Vancouver area (I know none on the Shore forsure).

If it's common you might be able to source one. If not there is a guy out in Whistler that will CNC any hanger needed, if you are in a bind a shop like Fanatyko will be able to get you in touch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    The only thing I'd add is every tool you used to break down your bike to pack it. I think I saw a minitool in there but I'd prefer the real deal for re-assembly.

Already looking forward to the next post!
    That was the tool I used to break down the bike!

As for the derailleur hanger, one of my goals for tonight is to search that. See if there is anything else. I'm sure I can get something figured out once in the village, just rather finish off a ride by pedaling (preferably not singlespeed)

I'm knocking on wood, never had a hanger problem.

No. Just No.
    Is the Yeti a unique hanger? I don't think there is a single Yeti dealer in Whistler or the Vancouver area (I know none on the Shore forsure).

If it's common you might be able to source one. If not there is a guy out in Whistler that will CNC any hanger needed, if you are in a bind a shop like Fanatyko will be able to get you in touch.
    If the OP runs into a severe hangar problem (Yeti hangars are admittedly a bit on the soft side), I have a drawer full at my place in Vancouver - some new, some lightly used - as a result of owning several Yeti frames over the years. You'll have to figure out a way to get a hangar from me in Vancouver while you're in Whizzler, but if it saves a week of riding...

On the other hand, if you want to try to figure out some way to retrieve a spare hangar from me in Van before you head up 99 on the shuttle then feel free to suggest. I am ~15 minutes from the airport - by car or bike.

mtbr member
    Circlip, thank you very much for the offer of your hangers and time. Given my schedule tomorrow in Vancouver, I doubt I could promise a meet up and not waste your time. Things usually work out, and I'll deal with them as them come. Though you may get a frantic PM, and maybe I can email transfer some money and have one shipped overnight!

Tonight was running around getting some last things in order. It was a bit of a bummer day on the apparel side of things. I had ordered a new pair of prescription riding glasses a few weeks back. It was a long shot, but I was hoping they would come in before leaving. Kept checking my phone all day, hoping I'm missed the call, but nothing. Then magically, at close to 8:00 pm, a magical voice appeared on the other side of line, they had arrived!!!

Now I'm sitting back with a Creemore Springs, realizing I need to be up in far less hours than a regular nights sleep.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That was the tool I used to break down the bike!

As for the derailleur hanger, one of my goals for tonight is to search that. See if there is anything else. I'm sure I can get something figured out once in the village, just rather finish off a ride by pedaling (preferably not singlespeed)

I'm knocking on wood, never had a hanger problem.

Superfly just brought a set of allen keys with us when we went to California to build our bikes, including a big allen key for the pedals rather than a pedal wrench.

Have an awesome trip. Can't wait to read more!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Best memory of the trip - the post-ride nachos (best nachos ever!) and beers at the base of the mountain on the patio of Fairmont Chateau Whistler. (pre-requisite culinary photo evidence attached)
    Damn those snachos look good!!!

mtbr member
    great thread....will certainly follow!

riding out west makes you a far better rider....
    ride hard-ride safe!

bi-winning
    Deuter Race eXp air pack. I don't much like packs, but just got this one and it's nice.
    My sister has a Deuter Race. She finds it to be a great size for day trips both on and off the bikes. It is small enough to not feel like a drag to carry, but large enough to fit lunch, a map, camera, and other items you might need on a day out. So, once you return, you may not find yourself riding with it often, but you might find some other opportunities to use it.

mtbr member
    I knew this was going to happen. Last time I flew back around the high holidays, I was upgraded from economy to first class from Heathrow to Toronto. This included my own little 'cubbyhole' apartment that fully reclined. I knew I was going to be spoiled for future flights, and yep, economy blows. Luckily the inflight entertainment was working and a couple movies made the flight tolerable. (the fighter, great movie, second time seeing. True grit, I found that one a slight bit weird). The only problem with the flight was the guy next to me, pleasant enough chap, with the exception of the occasional head nod onto my shoulder while sleeping, and an hourly, rather smelly passing of wind. I've probably done that on a time or two, so I can't complain too much.

Upon arrival in Vancouver, I was pleasantly surprised my baggage arrived safely and did so rather quickly. Back int Toronto I think I got a lady who was just training, and she was a little older, didn't seem too comfortable with technology. She couldn't figure out how to check in my bike. She went to talk to people who explained, only to return and not be able to figure it out. People came and showed her, only to leave, and she still couldn't. Get it right. Eventually a baggage sticker came out, it said YVR, so I took the leap of fait and dropped off my bike.

With my baggage in hand, I headed for my shuttle. Went to the desk, it's closed till 10:15. My bus leaves at 10:00. This possess problem. Luckily a sign indicated that if you were catching the 8:20pm Whistler bus, just head to bay 5. Humm, what about the 10:00 am bus? and where was bay 5? Luckily a girl who wasn't as vertically challenged as I am noticed a rather inconspicuous set of directions to bay 5. At this point I was getting closes to the bus departure time given that my flight arrived 20 minutes late. Being of the male species, I only skimmed the directions, figuring it shouldn't be so hard to find the magical bay 5. My skimming picked out the fact that I needed to take an elevator to the third, find a starbucks, then takes an elevator back down to the original 2nd floor. The problem solver in me immediately thought, that seems unnecessary,i can simplify this. After contemplating for a few moments (and reading the directions a little more clearly ) It appeared the new dimension of level 3 allowed me to transport between terminals. Then it clicked, this could take more than the 10 minutes I had. Luckily, given all the racing I do, I called out a few passes, spent some time in zone 5, knocked over a couple foreigners and I made my bus with with a few minutes to spare. I hope I didn't cause any international incidents.

Bus ride to Whistler was uneventful, but very scenic. Too bad I was on the wrong side of the bus to get any descent pictures.

Once in Whistler I checked into my condo and immediately went for some food. burritos! Served by cut Australian girls. Great combo!

Next order of business was to pick up some light reading.

condo is nice, and yes that is me bed in the wall. Good thing there is couch in case a night gets a little rough. I could see myself getting hurt.

Built up the bike.

Went riding (slowly to start, did you see the size of the burrito?). More to come.
    Last edited by CptSydor; 08-13-2011 at 07:52 PM.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    My internet is crapperoo right now. My phone won't connect any more, the ipad is in and out. Phone has a couple videos, but i can't upload and the bluetooth won't recongize the two devices to transfer. Not sure why the pics aren't showing. I'm going to drink beer.

Hopefully tomorrow things will be happy

Edit know the problem with the pics, just need to figure out how to fix.
    Last edited by CptSydor; 08-13-2011 at 06:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update, glad the flight went without any troubles! Just wondering, did you ever consider taking via rail instead of flying? I was planning on heading up to vancouver for like a month and was thinking about going with them, plus they really good deals on their sites. Oh and male isn't a species, its a gender lol Good luck with the pics!

EDIT: Believe me If anyone knows how much economy sucks its the 6'5 guy that never gets the seat in the end.

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    my internet is working but can't get the pics to open either

mtbr member
    Slowly getting the pictures figured out. I can't get the direct img links from Facebook without a right click function on the iPad. So I am using flickr instead, but they still don't just give the direct image link, but put it with other crap in a HTML code, so I have to pull it out of that, which is tough with an iPad (or I should say laborious).

With my Internet kicking out, I've lost lots of posts, so I'm doing everything off line the pasting in. Though I forget sometimes!

As for taking the train, that's like 3-4 days, as romantic as it would be, the 10 total hours today was plenty. That's a lot of riding time. Oh and i' m not s biologist, for all I know, a male is phylum.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    My first ride in whistler.

After eating that burrito, even with Building my bike up, I was still a wee bit full. My initial plan was to just casually pedal around the village, then maybe hit up a few kilometers of trail to get a feel for the riding.

Well, the casual ride didn't last very long and I was soon seeking out sow trail. I started in a little area/trail called 'cut yer bars'. It varied between blue and black diamond, depending on which section of trail. Here is the entry, touching dirt for the first time on this trip.

The trail was rocky, rooty, up and down. as much as I've said I love the fast trails, this was a blast. Unlike some technical places I've ridden, there seems to be more flow still to the trail, if that makes any sense. I played around in this area for about 45 min to an hour. At one point I came out of the trail system, and just started back at the beginnig. I rode a lot of the stuff twice, due to the navigation issue. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Typical trail on 'cut yer bars'

Fun little section with switch backs and bridges. Some serious gnomes out here.

I was here. At the the furthest point of the trail, but got to ride new trail back. A little bit of old gravel road with climbing. Reminded me of the kelso climb!

Just before I took that picture, there was a nice little rock face roll down. It was a nice little reminder to trust the bike, lean back and giver. We don't have too many sections like that at home. The tires worked really well. Though everything was bone dry, but I hooked up well.

After riding 'cut yer bars', I didn't feel like heading back yet, so I pulled out the guide and picked another trail. The whistler classic was close by, ' a river runs through it'. Really fun trail with lots of skinnies, bridges, rooty ups. Even one downhill open section with some jumps I hit (and have video, though it's kinda pathetic, I'll upload if things go better.

Proof I at least rode to the trail head

Some typical river runs through it

One thing I saw on the trail, which was awesome. *There were two all female instructional groups out riding.

A little disappointing, though I should be picky, but from what I had read, *expected to be better was the signage. It took me and another chap a good 10 plus pull out the map, is it right, left, and some directions to find a river runs through it. Most intersections were not marked on what I rode tonight. Apparently it's better elsewhere. I'm not complaining, getting lost is half the fun.

After the, headed back to the village, watch some people in the lower park for a few minutes.

Here is the route.

<iframe id="mmf_blog_map" src="https://js.mapmyfitness.com/embed/blogview.html?r=655131328115920343&u=e&t=ride" height="500px" width="400px" frameborder="0">
    <a href="https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/45964728">iMapMyRide: Aug 13, 2011 05:19 PM</a><br/>
    <a href="https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/?location=Whistler, BC">Find more Cycling Routes / Bike Rides in Whistler, BC</a>
    </iframe>

Only issue of the day, for some reason my rear brake is tight. After a bit of braking, the cylinder is really tightening up and catching my back rotor. Need to look at that tomorrow. Never had the issue before.

Tomorrow is likely comfortably numb.*
    Last edited by CptSydor; 08-14-2011 at 11:24 AM.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Last night was pretty relaxed. Walked around the villager, listened to some music, got groceries, then went to bed. Woke up on EST time. Had checked the forecast last night and they were calling for rain today. Decided on not doing comfortably numb with the potential precipitation and give the rest of the week is supposed to be nice.

So I started looking through the guide book this morning, figured I would sat more local incase the wet came. I started looking and figured i would play around in the lost lake trails for a while. Curiosity got the better of me, and i came across 'crazy train/hey bud' which are double black diamond trails on the north side of the ski hill (don't think they are accessible by the lifts, but I am not 100%). this would require me to ascend part of the mountain. I figured when I ended I would be right at the lost lake trails and could play around if suited my mood.

Around 7:30 the clouds were a bit broken, so I geared up and headed out. Right out of my condo I ran into trek and fox getting ready to run a woman's clinic. So many girls riding and learning, great to see.

From there it was climb. So pavement through the village, then a network of old and current access roads.

The start of the off road climb.

there started to be better views as I climbed.

With this pic, I'm about 3/4 of the way up. It was the last time a got a good view of the village. Maybe 0.5 km after this picture I came up a steep little pitch. Over the rise, maybe 30m up the trail was a black bear. I got off and we kinda just looked at each other as I was getting out my phone. Unfortunately with my touch screen and gloves, I don't get pictures snapped off very quickly. Just as the camera was focusing he waddled in the bush. I mounted back up, started singing a tune and rode past where he was. I've seen lots of bear poop in the trails around here.

Not long after I was done the climb. From my condo it was 8km and 450m of ascending. That 8 km includes some minor detours as well tying to find my way. There were far more options than my map suggested. Maybe 6.5km direct.

Now it was time to descend. With the map it was easy to find the trail head, though not marked, but apparent. Time to descend. Sorry the pic is a little foggy, it was misty up there.

There is one trail head for both crazy train and hey bud. Though both are doubles, the description lead me to believe hey bud my be a little more suitable. The two trails diverge about 50 m down the trail. I'm actually not sure which trail I rode, but in retrospect there was point where I had an option, though i didn't think it was the split at the time, but I think that is where I chose to ride hey bud.

Overall it was fun. Definitely glad and can appreciate the advice for more aggressive tires. I can also understand why a trail bike is a bit different out here. My 4 inches of travel were well used. I also spend lots of time behind my saddle (though never felt the need to lower it). There were a couple sections where given my bike and the steepness and natural features on the trail, and given I was riding alone, the smart move was just to walk. That was okay, it was only a couple 10-20 m sections.

Here was a typical pitch. The picture, as usual doesn't really portray the grade. There were some sections that were just continuous like this. I would just look back up and realize the elevation I just lost.

There was also some sweet sections of flatter trail, not much, but some. I didn't pedal much, and my brakes got a work out (which I managed to fix before heading out with a twist of screw)

Some sweet trail

Eventually the descend ended on a gravel road and I cruised back into the village. Think another morning I'll climb back up and hit crazy train. It's a quick 1.5 hour ride.

I started to head into the lost lake trails, but it started to rain lightly. The clouds were really closing, given that I was wet from the ascent, and it wasn't all that warm (I was wearing a vest) I decided to head back and play it safe. Good thing, it started raining and has been steadily for an hour.

So right now just hanging out watching some sports, maybe take a lazy Sunday afternoon nap. If the rain let's up, I'll ride again this evening in lost lake. I might wait until later to do comfortably numb. I think I might do 'kill me thrill me' out, then 'comfortably numb' back making an epic day. So want to make sure the weather is good and things are dry. Might hit the park tomorrow, we'll see.

Here is the ride data. It appears that my track stopped somewhere coming down the mountain. So it's a little longer than indicated.

iMapMyRide: Aug 14, 2011 09:45 AM
    Find more Cycling Routes / Bike Rides in Whistler, BC
    Straight outta Rossland

namagomi
    Nice, how wide are your bars... do you really think one would have to cut them? Seems not

Laughed at just "trying a little bit of the trails" and ending up spending the whole day... total addict behaviour. I wonder, as a mtb'r, if Whistler is not analogous to pleasure island or the Land of lost toys. Don't stay too long!

mtbr member
    My bars were just right! There were many tight switch backs with trees and the such.

Just realized I missed the second half of a river runs through it yesterday (thought it was a bit short). Going to head back out tha way again for another ride this week for some of the other trails, so I guess I'll just have to ride it again! Ah shucks

And it is pretty addictive seeing all the trails, the sun just peaked out and it looks like everything is breaking up. Time to plan the afternoon route.

mtbr member
    My bars were just right! There were many tight switch backs with trees and the such.

Just realized I missed the second half of a river runs through it yesterday (thought it was a bit short). Going to head back out tha way again for another ride this week for some of the other trails, so I guess I'll just have to ride it again! Ah shucks

And it is pretty addictive seeing all the trails, the sun just peaked out and it looks like everything is breaking up. Time to plan the afternoon route.
    Did you run RRTI from the top, as in just around the right hand bend in the road? We rode it twice, once from the parking lot midway, we rode in turned right and rode to the bottom, then again from the top after the right hand bend in the road. Awesome trail, with woodwork everywhere! So much so it was a bit confusing at times which bridge to take

They had just built this bridge the week before we were out there to replace the one that was damaged during the winter.

Have fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails An Ontario boy's journey to Whistler-100_0621_web.jpg  

Live Free or Ride!
    Whistler is a one of a kind experience. Not sure when but they have the freestyle comps there too, awesome if u can catch one.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    Just got back from a 3.5 hour ride. I'll post up a report after a shower, but at the end I decided to go finish a river runs through it. Let's just say, I missed the good stuff. I only did the north end last night. Hit it all today. The south end was 5-6 times longer and they have extended it recently cause I came out a rainbow park, and all the maps I have say it stops earlier.

I really enjoyed the south half. Lots of everything, lots of wood. A few that didn't have roll outs, had to use my trials skills when I hit the end and realized this.

And as far as I can tell, not slope style events. Cranks works was back in July

Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan View Post
    Did you run RRTI from the top, as in just around the right hand bend in the road? We rode it twice, once from the parking lot midway, we rode in turned right and rode to the bottom, then again from the top after the right hand bend in the road. Awesome trail, with woodwork everywhere! So much so it was a bit confusing at times which bridge to take

They had just built this bridge the week before we were out there to replace the one that was damaged during the winter.

Have fun!
    t

Evil Jr.
    Not on purpose, but I haven't had a chance to check your progress until after 8 on Sunday night. Sitting here in my club chair with a martini (shaken, not stirred, ), a huge smile just spread across my face while reading your reports. Keep having fun and keep posting!

mtbr member
    So after trying my hand at some climbing and then serious descending this morning, I figured it was probable best to take the afternoon lightly. A 450 ascent followed by a double black diamond descent is a pretty good days riding. After some showers rolled through late morning, the sky's started to break about noon. I had planned on touring around the lost lake trails in the later afternoon if the weather picked up.*

I was sitting around, watching tv and scanning the guide book, well, once the sun broke through, that was it. I inspected the sky's and figured I had a couple hour window to ride. I also figured, I'm in whistler, why waste my time on the blue and green trails of lost lake. So I headed off towards the emerald estates area, which is all black diamond xc stuff.

Unfortunately at some point this morning the GPS turn off on my phone, hence why I lost the last bit of route. Not sure why, possible to conserved battery, but I didn't think I was low at any point. Regardless it was still off when I started it for this afternoons ride. Needless to say, i only realized about 1/2 way through the ride. I just left it off since i was missing most. I'd you check out the map below, you'll see the area I was riding.

https://www.whistler.com/resources/p...ike_trails.pdf

I rode down the paved valley trail out to the emerald estates. Once you get there, you start climbing. Between the initial rode, then the gravel trail, I'm guessing I ascended about 150m. The guide book I have gives the direction the trail is meant to be ridden (if applicable, which it is for most of the advanced trails). So I headed out and started on $hit happens (the names are great). This trail climbs up quite a bit, then at the peak you have options for returning back down (you can continue on $hit happens, or take anal intruder intruder). The first half of $hit happens wasn't Anything special (look at me 2 days and I'm down playing some great trail). It was a pretty open trail, rocky, mostly used for the ascent.*

When I hit the top, I decided on coming down anal intruder. The guide booked suggested part of $hit happens had been cut off some new builds, so i figured anal intruder might leave me more trail, and less possibility of getting lost trying to find trail heads. I made a good choice (I assume however) but anal intruder was a blast.*

Entry into anal intruder.

This was a nice two step rock face into the trail, pretty fun way to start. There was another rock face descent, then the trail traversed for a while. It reminded me of riding in Halifax. It was a 100% technical. You had to work for every inch of trail. There wasn't a section where you weren't manouvering around roots, rocks, ups, downs. It was relentless (in a good way)

Here was another rock face into a bridge.

I didn't really get pictures of the middle section. But just imagine undulating 5-10m ups and downs with lots of rocks and roots.

Then came the descent. It was about 100 m of descent and freaking fun. The trail was just perfect for me and my bike. It was technical and a times steep, but nothing that was just hang off the back and hope for dear life (which I got a bit of this morning). A few ttf's on the descent, lots of nice tight, technical switchbacks with good berms. A few sections where you could let of the breaks and catch some speed. Over a++.

A log ride to bridge after a technical little descent on the way down describes the pic below. Rode It twice, once as I came down, second to get a video. I've figured why my videos weren't uploading, and i have to post, but since i can't edit them, you would have to see my fast ass clam clammering up the hill before I came back down.

Right after this pic, I thought I ended my trip. I was getting going again after putting my phone away, I was kinda frustrated as the skeeters were bad. In a hast, i went to move my bike over a log and lost it. Hit the ground trying to run, but felt my ankle turn. Crap, crap, crap. Definitely stretched the ligaments, and i could feel it. I wasn't sure how it was going to progress. I racheted my shoes tight and rode on. It was painful for about 15 minutes then slowly started subsiding. I've got a little tightness and slight pain now, but I don't thing there will be any I'll effects in the morning.

Still descending. I missed the nice little bridge shoot down the first time through (it wasn't really a visible line). So I took a pic and went back up to ride it. It was a nice run off, so you just just let is fly.

One of the final sections with some nice rocky, technical switchbacks. Yes there is a trail in there.

After I finished anal intruder, I rode back to emerald estates to hit big kahuna. I tried to got back via 'no girly men' but could find the trail head, so it was pavement. Back i climbed up the start of $hit happens, and then proceeded to get lost trying to find big kahuna. There has been more trails built in the area I suspect, most likely descents from higher up on $hit happens and I think i started up most of them thinking there were big kahuna. I finally found my way to what i hoped was the trail I was looking for, and I just followed it. (the area I was in was bordered by the highway and $hit happens, so I wasn't worried about getting lost, I would have been spit out eventually.

I finally met a guy in the trail, going in the opposite direction who confirmed i had finally made in onto big kahuna. He said however is was best rode the other way. When I started to mention my guide book said the opposite he immediately chimed in that it wasn't right, or at least that not how they all rode it.*

After finishing big kahuna (I wasn't overly impressed), I descended down white knuckle and back out to the highway. On my route back, The valley trail went straight back, or a slight detour towards 'a river runs through it'. If you didn't catch my other post, i realized today i missed the entire south end last night. What the he'll, let's go finish it up.

Unfortunately I put the camera away at this point with one exception. The south end of river runs through it great. The north end is much tighter and technical, slower. The south end opens up a bit more and you can carry a bit more speed. It's also a lot longer than the north section. To summarize, it was awesome. Still decided which I enjoyed more, anal intruder, or the south part of river runs through it. They tie. There were lots and lots of bridges. Some high, some slow, some with roll outs, occasionally the ended a drop (usually found this out after i was committed) but a little pedal kick to drop handles it fine. There were even sections that were pump track like in nature. Just a blast.*

I did pull out the camera for the double teeter. I rode it upon approach, and when done figured I needed to get a video. There would be little ass watching required. I've ridden all sorts of teeters (4-5) this afternoon alone. Get up, find your balance, feel the teeter drop, line it up, roll out. Well, the double teeter was a little different. Normally when a teeter drops and it hits the ground, you are off it. The jarring cause by impact has no effect. Well, when that first teeter hits and you have to roll off to another elevated bridge, it really is an exercise in control. First time through, I barely held on. Second time, knowing want was coming, I still barely held on.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/27703423?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="https://vimeo.com/27703423">Untitled</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user8100202">cptsydor</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Finished off the trail and made my way back. 5 hours riding today. Thinking about the park tomorrow, but I really want to hit more XC. I should probabl6 give my legs a bit of a rest day if I am going to hit kill me thrill me and comfortably numb as a big epic Tuesday. (or more XC tomorrow, park Tuesday, epic wednesday). I'll decide tomorrow.

Oh, and the ride deserved a beer. Bowen island brewery mixer pack. I won't pass judgment cause a cold beer is always good after a ride. I'm going to gent some Greek food!!!

Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sweeeeet TR. Love hearing about the trails from another perspective.

The best thing about Bowen Island beer is that it's inexpensive. Best bang for your buck beer is Tree Brewing in the tall cans, taste good and cheap. Granville is meh. Phillips has a bunch of good beer. Driftwood also good, Farmhand is a summer favourite of mine.

mtbr member
    Sweeeeet TR. Love hearing about the trails from another perspective.

The best thing about Bowen Island beer is that it's inexpensive. Best bang for your buck beer is Tree Brewing in the tall cans, taste good and cheap. Granville is meh. Phillips has a bunch of good beer. Driftwood also good, Farmhand is a summer favourite of mine.
    Yep, it was inexpensive, and I made it cold. Thanks for the other tips, if tomorrow goes as I planned tonight, I'll burn through that mixer pack and be looking for more:

mtbr member
    Report to come later, I think the GPS track tells a pretty good trail to start. What to do this afternoon?

<iframe id="mmf_blog_map" src="http://js.mapmyfitness.com/embed/blogview.html?r=901131343549647744&u=e&t=ride" height="500px" width="400px" frameborder="0">
    <a href="http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/46209706">iMapMyRide: Aug 15, 2011 12:12 PM</a><br/>
    <a href="http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/?location=Whistler, BC">Find more Cycling Routes / Bike Rides in Whistler, BC</a>
    </iframe>

mtbr member
    So last night I was sitting around with my guide book, deciding what to do in the morning. I've been reading through pretty much all the trail descriptions, just to get an idea. I came across one trailed named Khyber Pass. What grabbed my attention about this trail was that it started at the top of Whistler mountain at over 1800 m elevation. My interest peaked and wondered how you got there. Well you can take the lifts up, then do an hour ride/hike a bike, or you could earn the right to descend by climbing all the way to the top. Well that sounds interesting, nothing like a little *11 km ride to start off your morning (with 1200 m vertical ascent, average grade of over 9%).*

*I must put out a disclaimer, i'm not that new to 1000+ meter ascents, both off and on road. I've done a couple in alberta/BC during transrockies (and over 18000m over 7 days), plus on a couple non riding vacations I've snuck out to climb l'alpe d'huez and Haleakala crater (though I never finished the later). So, as you can tell, as soon as I read climb to the top, that was it, it must be done.

Woke up pretty early to temps below 10*C. Fueled my self up on apple juice and the remains of a McCain deep and delicious cake (prime riding fuel!), dressed up and headed out by 7:30 am.

Got to the base of the service road up. I had done a pretty good job of detailing the intersections and maps in my guide book to ensure I didn't spend too much, or hopefully any time off track. When I first started climbing, which is right at the base of the bike park, I asked someone in Whistler attire if this was okay to be climbing these active roads. His only response was 'people do it'. Okay, I set off, staying out of the way of the trucks, (and I was passed by a fair number going both up and down).*

At about km marked 1.5, a descending truck pulled over to me and guy told me out right I wasn't permitted to ride the service road. I tried to convince him that i was told otherwise below (which was a bit of a tail, there is a big difference between people do it and you are allowed). He wasn't having an of it. He said i needed to get on the trail (just to the side of the road) and ride down. When i exclaimed I wasn't keen on that idea, I think he assumed I was just a roadie not comfortable descending trails, and I was just out for training ride. He generously offered a ride down in his truck, to which I said 'not I want to go the top'. Now at this point I was about 1km from the first level of the bike park and I think he assumed that is where I meant. The look on his face was that of 'there are mountains everywhere, go climb elsewhere'. I can't blame the guy, from a due diligence stand point, he was doing his job. Finally, when I got the impression he thought I was just some chump, which i am, but believe otherwise, not to mention we were at a standstill of me not wanting to go down, him not letting me continue up, I explained that I wanted to go all the way to the top and ride Khyber pass. As soon as I said that, something changed in his demeanor and he started problem solving for me. I think at this point he realized I was a little more serious. I can respect that they probably get lots of inexperienced people exploring around and again, they really need to play a little big brother here and there. But, he offered me this solution, the park was closed, I could ride up the single track to km marker 2.5 (since the park didn't open for a couple hours) At this point, my route went off the major access road that was heavily traveled. From there i could continue my route. Sure thing sir! So I jumped on the single track, and continued climbing. At one point, from what I could tell from the markers, actually rode up part of A-line! Seriously, how many people have rode up a-line?

I eventually made my way up, but got a bit lost looking for my junction, which was tought not being on the major service road. I had ascended above the junction, and the trails didn't seem to easily connect back to my route (which was the service road I was permitted to ride). Well, don't tell the nice man, but I road about 250m back down the high traffic road to my junction, then I was clear to climb away! Unfortunately, the less used road was also a little less groomed, so it wasn't as easy of a spin, but I was happy to be climbing legally.

From there, well, it was just a granny grind. Not much to say, point your nose up and go. There were some nice steep sections, likely approaching 15%, but I rode everything. Things change a little after I hit this bridge over nice mountain stream.*

From here on it was a combination of hike a bike and riding. Actually, the first *bit after this bridge was mostly hike a bike, but it leveled off and I was able to ride good portion, but it finished with hike a bike. And yes, i had to make my way through some snow. (sorry about the pic, I was just through a swamp in the clouds, it was a bit moist)

No long after the swamp, I got a good section of riding in and snapped a couple pics. At this point I was likely at 1700 m in elevation (I started at 650m)

Looking down.

Looking up. Yep, I'm up there.

After these pics, I had a little more riding then final hike a bike. Finding the trail head was not easy as there was lots of snow. It was a battle of really trying to look ahead and try to find the ribbon of trail that started underneath the white stuff. After a few back and forths and searching, I found my way onto the Khyber pass descent. It took me a little time to find my way, and I was really starting to think what the he'll I was doing, didn't want to just ride back down. Took a break, my cell phone was working, so I sent a few txt messages while I was climbing!*

Incase you didn't look at the gps route, it was 11km and 1200m ascent.

When I first started descending Khyber pass, I really started questioning my ride choice. I was really sweaty, cold, my fingers were numb, and the start of the trail (once i found it), was straight down, very technical, and well beyond my current set of skills, given my current situation. The guide book said it would be this way, but would get better once i hit the tree line/forest. I was hoping, cause it was going to be a long, ride a little, hike affair amount, all the way down if there were to continue.*

Unfortunately, I put the camera away at this point, so no pics! I was just focusing on getting down. But as the guide book described, it did get better, a lot better. The last 3/4 of Kyber pass were freaking awesome. The grade leveled out a bit (and that is relative), but it got to the the point where is wasn't just sliding, but way more riding (which subsequently is another name of trail that descends from this area that I figured I wasn't equipped to ride so I took Kyber pass). My hands also started warming up, things just got fun. (on a side not, I was well equipped with vests, warmers, shell, but a second set of gloves would have been aweseome)

Not much to say, just lots of nice loomy single track, some nice pitches, traversing, great old growth forest. Only thing, since it is a bit of work to get here, the trail maintenance is not like the valley, that is fine, it's an adventure, but there were a fair number of trees across that required dismounting, often in precarious positions. Not to mention there was a more than a few snow crossings in the small valleys. I ate a bit of snow flying into them, then just sliding around. On a side note, riding platforms on the way down would have helped. With the snow clogging the cleats and many precarious remounts, it was just a pain. My current shoes also don't mesh well with my time z's, so i had to fiddle and descend things with less of a connection to my bike than i would have like. Oh well, *survived, but still never felt the need to lower my seat.

After Khyber pass ended, it was a little ascent to the start of upper babylon. I was worried about this section, the guide book made it seem like it was going to be tough. Well, the upper 1/2 -3/4 was pretty good, well except of the part where i was required to lower my bike down a 25 ft cliff. Overall though, I rode most everything, including what was probably one of my steepest rock faces ever. Actually, i started to get a little too confident, there were a couple times I rolled into sections that were a little beyond me and had to gracefully dismount. I needed to remind myself where I was, all alone and play it a little safer. Now the last little bit of upper babylon was bonkers. It was through an open cut, lots of bridge work and drops. I walked a lot and would ride up again to see some BC riders hit this stuff.*

After upper Babylon I was expecting lower baylon, then tunnel vision though I was naturally spit out to a trail called RPII. Signage said it ended at the cheakamus road/river, which was further south than I expected, however I didn't see any indications of the trails I was looking for. RPII was also labelled as a black diamond (everything down to this point was double), so I wasn't really upset to follow it and relax a little more. Well, i didn't relax, but in a while other way. RPII was more open, with a gentler grade, meaning you could carry some serious speed. It was fun to let off the brakes for a while, well sort of. There were lots of creek/ditch crossings and blind switchbacks that provided me with a few more oh $hit moments for the day. Once RPII ended, I was spit out to the far side trail, which follows the cheakamus river. On a scale of things, this was a poodle path, but still fun to rip along (undulating, with some short steep ups but generally rather descending).

Here i am at the suspension bridge over the river.

From here it was a combination of valley trail (which is the paved walking/cycling path all throughout the area) and riding along highway 99 back home. Washed up the bike, and that was it.*

I've has some memorable days on a bike (aka tough ones). This will rank up near, if not at the top.

I think I'm done riding for the day. Tomorrow I'm going to see what it's like descending some of those mint trails in the par I rode up today.
    Last edited by CptSydor; 08-23-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Evil Jr.
    Fueled my self up on apple juice and the remains of a McCain deep and delicious cake (prime riding fuel!), dressed up and headed out by 7:30 am.
    Awesome post and this was my favourite part. I'd be all nerdy "oatmeal and omelets" but I think the cake suits you better!

mtbr member
    Awesome post and this was my favourite part. I'd be all nerdy "oatmeal and omelets" but I think the cake suits you better!
    And really, it was more of the second half after last night, not the remains. I have bananas, yogurt, bread. Granola bars, etc, but nothing beats a cake on a hungry morning.

mtbr member
    I also apologize for some of the grammar. Now, I'm no nerd girl, and wouldn't say I can write a sentence all that well, but my iPad is really making a lot of autocorrects I'm not noticing.

Hopefully you are getting the jist of it.

ups and downs
    Are you carrying bear spray and bear bells? You're in grizzly/black bear and cougar country on a trail like Khyber, and riding alone in an area without much human activity can make the critters rather chummy.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Damn dude you are killing it. I think you might actually be the first person in the valley to ride Khyber Pass this year. Everyone else around here knows it's still snowed in at the top and waiting for it to melt out.

There is an alternate climbing route to get up there. You climb up to the top of Kadenwood Dr then get onto the access roads and work your way up to Hwy 86.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Are you carrying bear spray and bear bells? You're in grizzly/black bear and cougar country on a trail like Khyber, and riding alone in an area without much human activity can make the critters rather chummy.
    Carrying nothing, ignorance is bliss I guess. Though as I was hiking up, a few times I looked down, and even though as already established, I am not a biologist, I thought to myself, that looks like something that came out of the ass of a big cat.

Really thought I am playing the odds, this is the is likey the only time I will venture that deep.

namagomi
    PSA Annoucement.

RE pepper spray, probably just blind yourself...

mtbr member
    Damn dude you are killing it. I think you might actually be the first person in the valley to ride Khyber Pass this year. Everyone else around here knows it's still snowed in at the top and waiting for it to melt out.

There is an alternate climbing route to get up there. You climb up to the top of Kadenwood Dr then get onto the access roads and work your way up to Hwy 86.
    There has been a couple people through, likely a few other idiots reading the guide. Good thing, cause there were a few times I was looking down and following, what I suspect are 5.10 treads, assuming i was still on track.

Question. Do some people ride the route backwards? I swear there's were a couple tire tracks going back down from about where Khyber pass starred ( or possible further up the other approach of hghway 86). Can you lead in that way?

Not down Khyber, but leading up, I think there were one, maybe two motorcycle tracks. Crap, that would be a small endure or a trials bike to get up to that area. Is that possible or am I was I seeing things?

mtbr member

RE pepper spray, probably just blind yourself...
    I inspected some of the bear crap I saw. No bells, nor did it smell like pepper spray. Maybe they work?

mtbr member
    Oh, and I just remembered. I stirred up a big ass partridge on Khyber. That will make you $hit your pants some good. Nothing like a helicopter taking off 15 feet from you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    From the top of the Peak chair you can access Kyhber Pass. Park Guides and Patrol have likely come down from the top to check things out.

There is fair size contingent of trials moto guys in Whistler and Squamish, it's a possibility that some have gone up to play, it's more common for them to ride up in the alpine on Sproat side of the valley but it's snowed it.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Cptsydor - kudos to you for trying but Khyber still had a shitload of blowdown and you missed the new section. That new section is NOT in your guidebook and is under snow at the present so that's why you were whiteknuckling. Given your panache, style and can-do enthusiasm let me suggest some trails on the guidebook that would be fun for you.

btw - Babylon also has lots of blowdown so skip that.

1. Stonebridge climb to Cheap Thrills. Descend. Climb back Stonebridge and repeat - this time do High Society. Repeat. This time do Industrial Disease. That should make you feel very happy. Stonebridge climb is also not in the book. Go to a friendly bike shop and ask for descriptions. Do this at 10am and show up either with slinky shirt and big boobs or a six-pack of coke.

2. Kill Me Thrill Me to Comfortably Numb to Young Lust - or cross over to Comfortably Numb and do the BCBR cutoff. Or just do the whole of Comfortably Numb. BCBR cutoff is not in the book

3. Yummy Nimby climb to Comfortably Numb descent and out - combined with Lost Lake trails. Yummy Nimby is not in the book

I'll keep on typing more if you have more days. Most of these rides are 3 - 4 hours and I'm sure you can find more if you like The guidebook you have is good but it doesnt go into nice loops so that's its only weakness. I have videos of some of these loops. Do a search. Good luck!
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Great reading Jeff, enjoying it all, don't worry about the grammar and spelling mistakes your typing a $hitload there. I just had to say, when your riding on your own in the forest, isn't every sound a bear or a mountain lion? Then when you turn to look its always a squirrel.. At least around here it is anyway.. LOL..

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Where does Yummy Nimby start? I'm headed up for a similar trip in a few weeks-- following this thread closely.

mtbr member
    Not too much to say or see about today (edit, that's a lie, i wrote slot) *Pretty much kept everything packed away and rode the park. Really short story, I'm knackered.

Long story. Woke up nice and early this morning (5:30) so I had a lot of time to waste before the park opened (10:00). Luckily I have season three of 'breaking bad' on the iPad, so that wasted time well.

Headed out to rent my bike and get a park pass. Took this picture on the way through, it was a beautiful morning.

Between renting and a park pass, it was an expensive morning, but not something I'll do all that often. Geared myself up with Scott Gambler 20 and headed out for a warm up run.

For those who know little about the Whistler bike park (which included me till yesterday), it's divided into two parts, the lower park (fitzsimmons zone) and the upper park (garbanzo zone). While there are other options, basically you get on the first lift to access the top of the lower park, which has a much higher density of trails, lots from each difficulty level. If you choose, when you get off the first lift instead of starting down, you can immediately get on another lift to make your way to the top of the garbanzo zone. There are fewer trails in the upper park and you cannot make your way down without riding a fair chunk of black diamond trail (there is some blue, but not continuous back down to the top of the lower park).*

As a summary, the lower park contains well known trails such as

A-line
    B-line
    Dirt merchant

The upper park*

Freight train ( which extends into the lower park)
    Original sin.

Not being an expert, but if you are looking for the 'big' ride down, it's probably freight train to dirt merchant into lower a-line.

Definitely a lot more traffic in the lower park, with a wide range of riding skills. Less traffic up above, with mostly 'advanced' riders (aka still most of the people that are riding, minus the family or couple trying out lift access for the first time)

First run was a warm up, i was advised to give b-line and/or crank-it up a shot. These are essentially continuous trails through the lower park. They are groomed/highly built, with many berms and jumps, kinda like little brothers to a-line (both were blue and scaled down).

I survived my way down, but wasn't styling very much. A big dh bike and lips are not something I have spent much time with, so it took some time to get the feel. It came slowly. I then hit a few runs of more 'technical' blue runs (by technical I mean more trail like, with rocks, roots, not the high speed feature type trail). That is where i started loving the big bike. I've only ever done one run down blue on a bike with more than 5 inches. Not much to explain, more suspension means you can suck up more, so you can go faster. After riding the single and doubles the past few days on my yeti, it was so much easier doing similar stuff on the big bike, and do it fast (not that this is much of a relevation to anyone)

After maybe 4 runs of blues in the lower park, I made my way to the garbanzo zone. I was excited cause there were a couple 'old school/original' trails that were of the technical, trial style. My intention was to ride original sin, but soon ended up on new joke, which shares sections with freight train. New joke was probably my favorite trail. I enjoyed the trail aspect to it, with the occasional built up stuff of freight train thrown in. Towards the bottom, i got my first taste of a-line as well. At this point I was getting pretty confident and don't think i looked like too much of a fool (aka, I don't think I cased every jump!)

View from the top of the garbanzo zone

I immediately went back up to the top and did all of original sin this time. It was a good trail, and again, really fun to hit that steep, technical stuff with the big bike. I also hit a huge step up. It was kinda accidental, there were three lines, big step up, slightly smaller step up, and go around. For some reason, the big step up didn't look so big from the fast approach in. By the time I realized what was coming it was too late. I just let of the brakes and hoped i had enough speed. Which i did, and cleared it. That was probably my biggest oh $hit, oh yeah, rush moment of the day.*

By this point I was probably getting too comfortable, bordering on cocky. I rolled into my first double black diamond called 'goats gully', which my book describes as the steepest trail on the mountain. Not sure if that is true since its old, but it was a pretty hairy, technical descent. The first half went really well, to the point where I started actually letting off the brakes a little and really pushing it, well I hit a section that was a little to steep to roll and needed a bit more drop to get the front wheel beyond some roots. Well, I realized that a little too late and buried my wheel right into a root after a 3-4 ft rock face. Glad no one was around to see that dismount. It was a solid endo with a couple flips of the bike. That knocked me down a few notches, which I needed.

Licking my wounds, I made my down, rode a couple more lower park lines, then went for lunch. Dirty poutine (and I say that that in the best way). I can say, I was never the same after this. It literally and figuratively took the hunger out of my riding.*

After lunch I made my back up to the garbanzo zone, and tried to ride as much blue back down to let the poutine settle. Unfortunately, i ended up *riding a fair amount of double trails on the way down, which I wasn't feeling, but had a couple guys in front of me showing lines, which helped. I also rode a really long elevated bridge, which was fun (on fatcrogat I think). After this, i then spent a fair amount of time in the lower parking trying to makes sure I rode all the blue and black diamond stuff at least once. *I rode some really fun trails, but most of the time couldn't remember what I had been on, nor how to get back.*

*By this point it was getting later (5:00) and I was getting tired. I went back up to the garbanzo zone and rode freight train top to bottom to say I did. *I gave it everything i had, and felt I rode it pretty well, but it took most everything I had. Made my way back down, and figured I'd do one more ride in the lower park. So i hit crank it up again to have some hide speed fun. Even though I was pretty exhausted, it was likely my smoothest, flowiest run of the day. I was even starting to move the bike around on some of he jumps. When i got to the bottom, just one more run, back up, down, okay, one more, etc. *I can't remember how many more i didn't, but at 6:45 I could handle no more. My brain was rattled from started to get pretty good at hitting the high speed berms. Not to mention my hands, legs and arms were screaming pretty good. With the exception of the poutine, i was either going up, or going down from 10:00 to 6:45. Runs down were all continuous, so I was getting good claw hand.

Here I am on my last trip up to the garbanzo zone.

Not sure if I'm going to do the epic ride tomorrow. I think I might need a solid rest day. While I didn't do much pedaling, standing on those pedals, absorbing those bumps is going to leave my legs sore i some weird places. And same with my arms. *And crap, brake bumps, brake bumps, especially on the high speed blue runs. It was a long hard day on the bike in a totally different way.
    Last edited by CptSydor; 08-16-2011 at 10:03 PM.
    Straight outta Rossland

Evil Jr.
    Here I am on my last trip up to the garbanzo zone.
    Wow, that's not a lot of armor! Brave man!

Lots of people talking about this thread last night at Albion. I think your fan club is growing by the day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    This is a very entertaining thread to read for sure. Thanks for documenting your experience.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Wow, that's not a lot of armor! Brave man!
    Less armor is more incentive not to crash. Or at least that it my own personal theory and rational.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Great thread. Goats Gully and Fatcrobat are some of my favourites.

mtbr member

Mountain Biking 101....

Amazing thread, I'm getting goose bumps just reading it and looking the pics.

To me this is real mountain biking; you climb, you descent, taking some risks or just walk if you think it's a bit too much...

Have fun out there and keep posting.

mtbr member
    Today's 'recovery' ride. Details and photos to come. Going for a massage.

<iframe id="mmf_blog_map" src="http://js.mapmyfitness.com/embed/blogview.html?r=593131361276533795&u=e&t=ride" height="500px" width="400px" frameborder="0">
    <a href="http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/46547384">iMapMyRide: Aug 17, 2011 01:26 PM</a><br/>
    <a href="http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/?location=Whistler, BC">Find more Cycling Routes / Bike Rides in Whistler, BC</a>
    </iframe>

No. Just No.
    Today's 'recovery' ride. Details and photos to come. Going for a massage.
    If tomorrow's outing is the TMKM / CN combo have a great time - that's just about my favourite outing although some others I know are not so keen on it. Nothing death-defying, just lots of spots where you need to pay a bit of attention, both climbing and descending. CN rides like double the rated elevation gain with so many little micro wheel lifts and pedal kicks that take a bit out legs, much more so than a steady climb where you can just put your head down and churn out a rhythm. Not too many big vistas, although there are a couple of nice views along the valley, but I do enjoy the plain old scenery of the forest around me on CN.

When you are almost finished and reach the disc golf course, it's a little confusing trying to figure out where the trail goes. Take the route heading toward the village, which will eventually have you climbing up a final little set of switchbacks a few minutes later (this will confirm you are on the right track) before exiting out into the Lost Lake system. If you still have any juice you can ride the LL tracks back home. They all ride OK in both directions.

TMKM is actually a more taxing trail, just not nearly as long. Keep a sharp eye out for the TMKM trailhead from the road though. It's easy to miss if you don't know where to look and aren't paying attention.

mtbr member
    Cir clip, thanks for the advice. Just out of curiosity, how long, riding out from the village, then doing both TMKM/CN would you allocate riding steady with only stopping for the occasional pic and eat up. Just want s general idea for water, and food.

Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    If tomorrow's outing is the TMKM / CN combo have a great time - that's just about my favourite outing although some others I know are not so keen on it. Nothing death-defying, just lots of spots where you need to pay a bit of attention, both climbing and descending. CN rides like double the rated elevation gain with so many little micro wheel lifts and pedal kicks that take a bit out legs, much more so than a steady climb where you can just put your head down and churn out a rhythm. Not too many big vistas, although there are a couple of nice views along the valley, but I do enjoy the plain old scenery of the forest around me on CN.

When you are almost finished and reach the disc golf course, it's a little confusing trying to figure out where the trail goes. Take the route heading toward the village, which will eventually have you climbing up a final little set of switchbacks a few minutes later (this will confirm you are on the right track) before exiting out into the Lost Lake system. If you still have any juice you can ride the LL tracks back home. They all ride OK in both directions.

TMKM is actually a more taxing trail, just not nearly as long. Keep a sharp eye out for the TMKM trailhead from the road though. It's easy to miss if you don't know where to look and aren't paying attention.

No. Just No.
    Cir clip, thanks for the advice. Just out of curiosity, how long, riding out from the village, then doing both TMKM/CN would you allocate riding steady with only stopping for the occasional pic and eat up. Just want s general idea for water, and food.
    As I'm sure you can appreciate, the answer is highly variable, but last time through that complete route I was about 4 hours even at just slightly sub-race pace, and not a whole lot of downtime for breaks. It's possible you may enjoy the ride more with without the self-imposed whips driving your pace plus a couple more breaks when the mood strikes you for munchies or to stop and smell/see the proverbial roses so to speak. That might put it somewhere in the 5-6 hour range.

Note: you may not see very many other people out there esp. on CN. Even on weekends, I sometimes come across only 2-4 people the entire ride (which I usually do 2x per year???). From some points on the route it would take a long freakin' time to walk yourself out if you demo either your bike or yourself i.e. not something where you can just find a descent to coast your way out. That's not to say you shouldn't ride it solo and enjoy what the trails have to offer, just to govern yourself accordingly. OK, end of stoke-negating buzzkill.

Good luck, stay safe, and have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    (which I usually do 2x per year???)
    Reserving the right to come back and rant about CN after CptSydor has rode in order to not skew his thoughts on the trail. But really 2x a year?

Today looks like road to Function then up the South Flank to Cheap Thrills then Beaver Pass to Rainbow park?

mtbr member
    Well I am glad to hear that i am developing a fan club, though I fear i might leave people disappointed if they met me in real life (for those who haven't).

Though i must say, i haven't been able to please everyone. Someone left me some neg rep suggesting my posts were putting them to sleep. I have a good guess who it is, but I encourage all people to leave me feedback in the thread. I'm having a blast both riding and writing about it, if you can suggest some ways that you might get more enjoyment through this experience, I will do my best to please. If not, as I posted originally, go look at other threads or other sites, you are doing nothing to promote mountain biking through this act, simply being a parasite feeding on this host of a forum. I find it sad that people will $hit on someone when they are doing what they love. I've made light of a couple ongoing arguments is this forum but have done my absolute best to keep this thread up beat, positive and light hearted.*

Back to today. I really had no intentions of riding. I got up late (7:00 am), went for some savory crepes, got back to the condo and started to look for activities for the day. Bungee jumping, white water rafting or an ATV tour up the mountain. I've done some serious white water canoeing In the Rockies before, therefore rafting wouldn't that exciting. *I've ridden ATV's *a lot before, and been to the top already, meh. Bungee jumping it was, watched some videos, nope, lost all my kohuna's with that. I guess i better go on an active recovery ride ( which is really what I wanted anyway)

Started looking at the guide book and settled on flank trail ascent, followed by a series of three trials to descend back down (cheap thrills, 99'er, and beaver pass)

The trail head for the section of the flank trail I was going to ride was down highway 99 a few km's. Geared up and headed out. Oh nelly, pedaling my yeti was a breeze compared to the pig of bike from yesterday (and I say that with all due respect).*

My goal was to push my legs till they pushed back, the let off 10%. With a big day coming up and a fair number of hours in the legs already, this was all about just 'spinning' and stretching out the legs. Luckily I was still going to get *some great BC trail in the process.

The ride down highway 99 was a leisurely pace at best, even though it was predominately downhill! Lost in my thoughts (there is a nice shoulder so as not to worry about traffic), I got there before I knew it.*

Trail head.

Which immediately went up through a set of steep, but nicely manicured switch backs.*

The legs responded well. Though I wasn't trying to push it, with the grade and switch backs, there really wasn't much of an option.

After the initial switch backs, the trail leveled out a bit, but continued to climb steadily (including a couple sections, again reminiscent of the kelso climb).

Part way up, I came up on a little vista with accommodations. Given I was taking it easy, I sat back for a few minutes and relaxed.

That pic was taken maybe 3/5 of the way up. Overall it was about 4.5 km and 450 m of ascent.

Just past the top of the climb, I came up my first trail of the day. Cheap thrills. A double black diamond that my guide book described as having great flow and suitable for confident intermediates if they are willing to walk a few sections. Sounded just about like me.

Trail head.

First thing I noticed: today I was riding half the suspension. The descents were not going to be as easy, requiring more concentration and more care when selecting lines. That wasn't good, cause let's*just say, I didn't have it today. *While the legs felt pretty good, the climb took fair bit out of me, and overall i was just tired and run down. It was a great display of sloppy riding once I got into cheap thrills. I could do nothing right and I wasn't riding a bike that could compensation for that.

I did ride most everything except one steep rock descent that I would have easily rolled yesterday but knew wasn't in me or my bike, a couple rock faces that required some drop action and a couple skinnies. Everything else was as graceful as a bull in a china shop.*

Here was one of the first features on cheap thrills. A nice bridge, it was steep, easily the steepest piece of wood I've every rolled up to.*

The run out was smooth, but to the left was a bit of a drop off that continued down into *a creek bed. It was then followed by a 16-20 inch wide bridge that was about 15' long. Given my state, i was not confident in my safety. I started walking down but a few steps in I said screw it, *i could easily ride this. Went back and just committed. The run down was squirely, the wood didn't provide lots of traction to keep the speed down, so I just held on for dear life. Probably nothing more than luck kept my line okay, *rolled it out and hit the bridge with a good line and speed. Success!!! But I wasn't sure how many other things like this i had in my bag of lives on a day like today

Looking up

The creek crossing right afterwards

Here is a pick of the next technical section I rode. I took this picture from my butt in recovery mode. It really wasn't all that bad, but this was a classic don't look where you don't wanna go. Near the bottom right there was a 8-10" step up in the rock. There a was good line just to the left, but from the top when I was spotting my way though, I was looking at that rock and*buried my front tire right into it. *I went down hard and pretty far down the trail. One of the harder crashed I've had in a while. As usual its steeper than it looks and the hill continued down. Sloppy, sloppy riding

There was a some great riding on cheap thrills, but beyond what i had in me today. I was happy to reach 99er, which was a continuation of thrills, but a single black diamond. I still rode l Iike chump, but at least now there was less worry of screwing myself up.

Here is some nice, easy descending on 99er.

Good views as well

99er didn't last too long before I was spit out to a road which i Followed for a few km's and entered beaver pass trail. Another single black diamond. All the trail heads on this road were fancy (as were the lots and houses being built, man, have i seen some Redonkulous houses)

Beaver trail overall was just fun. Lots of tight, steep switch backs, which i didn't get pics of, but It had other stuff, like this whale back ridge to no where.

This is where it went.

Then back into the woods...

For some more quality, flowy descending.

Here was a pic I took of how I left my bike. After some switch back descending I came up on this little bridge almost immediately after a downhill corner. I wasn't really prepared, wrong gear, the bridge had a little incline to it, lost my speed, went to pedal, nothing. There goes the balance, time to bail, but hit the ground running. Skills, I didn't have them today.

Not long after, I exited the trail and it was path back to the village. Well sort of. *I came out just above a river runs through it. By this time, I was still riding sloppy, but overall felt a little better. It took all my common sense to not take a little detour and ride the last half. Though i did drop in and hit the last 200 m or so. I also met a daughter and father on this last little section. They stopped me with a little wonder in their eyes. They saw bike tires, but didn't think it was actually a trail for biking. They were surprised when i confirmed (by words and action) that it was in fact a very, very popular trail for biking, one of the most popular in Whistler.

That was the end of my excitement for the day. Went back to the condo knowing I needed to get myself in better shape for tomorrow. Realistically, it's primarily been my diet dragging me down. So I went to the grocery store and got my don't feel great meal, cannelloni and lots of veggies. Had my first portion, about to make my second. I'll be doing just fine tomorrow when I ride the kill me thrill me and comfortably numb.

And out of curiosity, on the way back from the store, this license plate caught my attention. In my travels, I would be surprised if I had not seen a license plate from every state, province and territory. Or I would't take major notice of anyone in particular, except this one. I know i have not seen one of these before.

mtbr member

Today looks like road to Function then up the South Flank to Cheap Thrills then Beaver Pass to Rainbow park?
    Yup.

And thanks cir clip, I won't be doing race pace, but I was getting mixed reviews on times. I'll be well prepared, but talking to some people I was going to need a tent!

And I've heard on more than one occasion that comfortably numb isn't close to the best there is to offer out here, but, it's gotta be done.

mtbr member
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CptSydor again."

For what it's worth, your posts are really interested and I'm pretty sure its safe to say that the idiot that neg repped you likes posts with lots of pictures and not many words...if you catch my drift...

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

No. Just No.
    But really 2x a year?
    Yes, yes, yes, I know you don't like CN much. A lot of other people don't like it either. As I've said previously, I don't base my opinion if a trail on how much other people like it, I'm only concerned with how much I like it. You and I don't look for the same things in a trail. Mystery solved.

No. Just No.
    And thanks cir clip, I won't be doing race pace, but I was getting mixed reviews on times. I'll be well prepared, but talking to some people I was going to need a tent!
    Knowing a bit about your history with everything from O-Cups, to 8hr races, to Trans Rockies I think I can peg it pretty well. I'm pretty confident that casual but steady pace with a few little stops is going to mean somewhere between 5-6 hours for you. If I'm way out on my estimate and leaving you parched and starving with no suppplies, then you can kick my ass at the earliest available opportunity on some future trip back home.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm tempted to leave you some negative rep for really cranking up my Whistler cravings in a year that I can't get out there.

In all seriousness, I'm really enjoying your reports from Whistler, keep up the good work. I'm interested to know how you like KMTM as that's one of my my favourite trails anywhere.

Evil Jr.
    FWIW, I finally remembered to give you some +++ rep points. The rep comments continue to give and give and give. My latest gem is a negative one telling me to "Harden Up" from some random 3 month-old post I made about racing in Haliburton...

Enough of that dross though... Sweet recovery day! Still so envious - makes me want to go riding immediately (stupid conference calls, grrr, )!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yes, yes, yes, I know you don't like CN much. A lot of other people don't like it either. As I've said previously, I don't base my opinion if a trail on how much other people like it, I'm only concerned with how much I like it. You and I don't look for the same things in a trail. Mystery solved.
    I still scratch my head as to why it's the "must ride" trail in the valley. Sometimes I think it's "must ride" status is a joke applied to it by the long time valley locals just to occupy the visitors and out of towners from the LM.

I get even more puzzled when it makes soo many people's lists of must rides in the Sea to Sky corridor.

It's okay I won't think any less of you for liking it D) lots of winky's added so I don't get banned.

No. Just No.
    I still scratch my head as to why it's the "must ride" trail in the valley. Sometimes I think it's "must ride" status is a joke applied to it by the long time valley locals just to occupy the visitors and out of towners from the LM.

I get even more puzzled when it makes soo many people's lists of must rides in the Sea to Sky corridor.
    Hmmm... "must ride"??? I would actually be hesitant to recommend it in many cases, since so many people come away feeling like they've been subjected to a million pinpricks on the climbing, in return for very modest payback on the descending (although I am not one of those people). The one undisputable thing CN has going for it is an almost no-brainer route once you hit the trailhead, which can be attractive for the navigationally challenged.

That being said, I'm thinking the Cpt will have a fine outing on the KMTM / CN combo. It's sure a lot better than a day in the office.

It's okay I won't think any less of you for liking it D) lots of winky's added so I don't get banned.
    S'ok. We probably wear different clothes, eat different food, and listen to different tunes too, none of which concern me any more or less than our different preferences in trails.

mtbr member
    So let it be posted, so let it be done.

I'll talk more later about the ride, and i can understand both sides of the argument on CN, especially now haven ridden a cross section of trails out here, but I know i fall more on the side of cir clip and I got a lot of enjoyment out of that ride. As i posted earlier, a bike is a tool that takes me on an adventure, I don't need 100% non stop action, but can really appreciate looking back and enjoying the journey. That being said, it was a grind, especially at the end of this week. And yes loved just grinding through that loamy, mossy, pacific northwest forest.

And 5.5 hours, with patching a tube, then changing a tube, and a little time waiting out a mother bear and her cubs.

More story to come.

<iframe id="mmf_blog_map" src="http://js.mapmyfitness.com/embed/blogview.html?r=711131370131547595&u=e&t=ride" height="500px" width="400px" frameborder="0">
    <a href="http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/46700138">iMapMyRide: Aug 18, 2011 02:02 PM</a><br/>
    </iframe>

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    [QUOTE=CptSydor;8343490]M

[/IMG]

Comparison, taken 9 years ago to the week.

ups and downs
    And yes loved just grinding through that loamy, mossy, pacific northwest forest.
    Technically in this country it's the Pacific South West, it's only the PNW for those southerners from Seattle and Portland.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

sock puppet

greetings guy

i am following your posts very closely. i like pics. and you are kinda funny too.

i am concerned a bit though as there is an obvious void of pictures of female riders in your stories. it is always you and only you. not that there is anything wrong with that, but variety is good.

can you please think about it and address it shortly?

in the meantime - i have joined your Facebook fan club to easier follow your attempts at crippling self.

be well and safe and look forward to drinking beer at Monstercross

So let it be posted, so let it be done.

I'll talk more later about the ride, and i can understand both sides of the argument on CN, especially now haven ridden a cross section of trails out here, but I know i fall more on the side of cir clip and I got a lot of enjoyment out of that ride. As i posted earlier, a bike is a tool that takes me on an adventure, I don't need 100% non stop action, but can really appreciate looking back and enjoying the journey. That being said, it was a grind, especially at the end of this week. And yes loved just grinding through that loamy, mossy, pacific northwest forest.

And 5.5 hours, with patching a tube, then changing a tube, and a little time waiting out a mother bear and her cubs.

More story to come.

<iframe id="mmf_blog_map" src="http://js.mapmyfitness.com/embed/blogview.html?r=711131370131547595&u=e&t=ride" height="500px" width="400px" frameborder="0">
    <a href="http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/46700138">iMapMyRide: Aug 18, 2011 02:02 PM</a><br/>
    </iframe>

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    i am following your posts very closely. i like pics. and you are kinda funny too.

i am concerned a bit though as there is an obvious void of pictures of female riders in your stories. it is always you and only you. not that there is anything wrong with that, but variety is good.

in the meantime - i have joined your Facebook fan club to easier follow your attempts at crippling self.

+1. Best thread ever.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Well today was the day to end all days. Well not really, that is a bit over dramatic, but it was in my plan as the big, epic day.

The intention was to ride out of Whistler, north up highway 99 for about 10 km, jump into 'kill me thrill me' (aka KMTM) which parallels the highway north for about 5.5 km. As has been posted by others here and from what I've learned in my readings is that KMTM is some of the best and most ridden XC riding around Whistler. After dropping out of KMTM, it was south down the highway for a couple km, then into Comfortably Numb (aka CN) for a 24 km winding trip back into the Whistler area. KMTM is relatively flat, but CN gains a net 400 m over the 3/5 with a bit of undulations.*

As you may have read here from members, there are arguments about whether CN worth its status as a must ride epic. The argument goes beyond this forum, with many people suggesting you can easily spend your time riding much better trail. For me, it really comes down to what your definition of mountain biking is. Everyone has a different idea of what a great ride should or could entail and i think that is great. Just like everyone likes their potato salad a little different (I personally like German potato the best, but that neither here nor there). For me, mountain biking is about exploring, using a bike to access places and adventures. I personally don't need a technical challenge or a feature that makes me go 'wow' around every corner. I'm happy to climb a ski hill for the view and the feeling of accomplishment. If there is an amazing descent, great, but I won't always do it just for the descent, though sometimes I will.*

Okay, to the ride.

Left this morning around 8:30, spun out to the KMTM trail head. Was easy to find as there was a car with a bike rack parked right in front of the start.*

The riding started out fairly tame, to the point where I was thinking, where's the thrill or the kill. It was pretty buff, nothing special. Well that must have pissed off the bike gods, cause I pinch flatted on the first little rocky section I came upon.

Freaking frugen. I say this cause just before leaving, as I'm stuffing my pack, I thought to myself that an extra tube might be useful. Of course, I didn't put it in since i had one spare and a patch kit and had been having good luck all week. So here i am, less than an hour into my epic and I'm potentially going to use my tube and CN is not the place be walking out of. My immediate thought was the ride is over, put in the spare tube, ride out KMTM, head back. I'm close to the highway if I encounter another problem. I can do CN tomorrow. Then I though about my patches, let's try that, if it holds up through KMTM, then I'd continue. Well, on inspection, one of the snake bites was right along a seem in the tube, I wasn't hopeful it was going to hold. And it didn't. I got in about 5 minutes of riding. In goes my spare and i continue riding with the intention of heading back when finished with KMTM.

Well the rest of KMTM got better, it really had all sorts of elements, TTF's, fast sections, technical ups, rocky downs, steep faces. Overall it was really fun.

Bridge to a rocky down, with a tiny little high speed drop at the end off the root.

Another nice little bridge with a stove to cook your lunch.

Overall I enjoyed KMTM, though of the two 'biggies' I preferred 'a river runs through it'

After existing KMTM, I got the bright idea that I could ride the first 6km of CN and take the 'young lust' descent back to the starting area, that would never leave me more than 4-5 km from a road, plus I still had the possibility to patch a second flat.*

After the young lust cut off, if i continued on CN, I could potentially leave myself 12 or more km from getting myself home, or to a road. Taking the cutoff sounded like a relatively safe option to get some more riding in, but minimizing the potential of getting myself stranded pretty far out.*

So i entered. Take warning, fit cyclists typically require 4-7 hours to do this ride.

The first section to the young lust cutoff (0-4 km) generally accends on buff single track. From km 4-6,you exit onto a steep gravel path with gains much of the first 200m in elevation in a couple, long, steep sections. This is followed by a section of relatively flat, rocky ridge riding. Here is a little descent in the first bit.

Arriving at the CN, young lust junction. Some nice switch back descending just before. Notice, you still have 4-7 hours!*

Now, during the first 6 km I was starting to have second thoughts of bailing at young lust. I told myself I would sit down at the junction, eat some food, and weigh what could happen if i continued down CN. I arrived at the junction at 11:00 am. That left me 10 hours of light if I needed to do any walking. Plus if I blew another tube, i had patches, worst case, the other tube might be fixable with more effort if another flat was catastrophic. Worst, worst case, I hike it. So I continued on.

Right after the junction is the Al Gray memorial bridge. The bridge was assembled elsewhere and airlifted in, dedicated to a former president of WORCA (whistler off-road cycling association), who are extremely *active in *making all the trails i rode possible and awesome sauce.

The bridge spans a canyon on Wedge Creek.

After the bridge was 6 km of loamy, mossy, fairly smooth single track that just wound through some pretty spectacular pacific northwest forest. Oh yeah, and it was pretty much all uphill. Some typical trial.

Now, this is where I can see why many people have mixed feelings about CN. The first 15 km are just a grind. Almost all up, not many sections that you'll find thrills or many technical challenges (well till km 12-1). Really are here to finish a long ride, on virtually 100% easy tonfollow single track. You don't come to push the Boundaries of mountain biking or 'progressive trails'. Now, going to back to what i originally posted, that didn't bother me but I could understand how many might not find this rewarding or enjoyable. Let me also repeat, it is a grind. *Personally as well, the big trees, the forest, the ribbon of single track was awesome to ride in, very awesome surroundings.

I should also mention that through km 6-14, i was struggling. I was really feeling the week of riding. I was tired. So to be quite honest, having the bulk of the climbing on not overly technical trail was much appreciated. I think one of the biggest things was dehydration. I just haven't been replenishing what I've been sweating out. The DH day I think was the worst, I lost a lot of fluid that day without really feeling like i did. When I stopped for another snack around km 12 and took a pee, it was about the brightest colour I've seen in a while. No cramping however, though I'm not prone to cramping' it was just suffering.

I also had a crappy mental moment as well during these km. About an hour after the junction, using the terrain, I had just done a relatively long descent, so I took out my guide book and looked at the elevation profile to figure out where I was. By my best skills of deduction, I was around km 9. That meant i was going about half the speed I though I was. I knew I wasn't going fast, but didn't realize I was dogging it that bad. That really kicked me in the nuts with how I was feeling. It meant I had a couple more hours that I thought, I was really regretting my decision not to break off.

Luckily, my skills of deduction were pretty bad, and I came upon this sign within 5-10 minutes.

That got my spirits up a fair bit. It meant I was traveling at the speed I though, I had only 12 km to go, and while still undulating, the major climbing was over (it was the climbing that was really getting to me, especially any thing that was steep)

I stopped not long after this for another snack and gave my trusty steed some much needed camera love.

The terrain from here became more exposed rock with lots of *sharpies. Great, no flats please. Then around km 14 I was decending a rock face, talking to myself out loud about what line to take, when I came abruptly on two guys taking a break in the trail. They likely thought i was nuts, nothing new. They explained they had come upon a bear cub on the trail which had climbed up a tree. This was about 20 minutes before and they were hoping to hear it come down and hopefully scamper off, mom in tow, where ever she was hiding.*

We exchanged stories for a couple minutes, then had the bright idea, did they have a tube they wouldn't envision needing? I was immediately offered one. We had established however earlier I would be going faster than them, so I quickly realized they would be coming up the trail behind me in the event I needed it, so I left it with them. I figured if they did pass me, I could take one at that point and i would be coming up behind them incase they ended have a multitude of problems. that made me relax a little.

At this point, they were confident the cub had come down, so I continued on down the trail. Not 50 m up, I rounded a corner to see two cubs scatter and mom standing on the trail about 15 m in front of me, just looking at me. Oh ****, not the situation I wanted to be in, Surprising a mother with cubs. She just stood there, I got off my bike and slowly started backing away, we were just watching each other. I didn't get the impression she felt threatened, but I didn't want to find out either. Once i got back around the corner and out of sight, I hoped back on the bike and started calling out to the other guys not to come down the trail. Went back to where they were, and we started talking about what to do. No long after, another guy rode up. Asked if we were okay. We explained there was a bear on the trail. He response was along the lines of so what, and he mounted and started moving on. We then explained it was a mother and cubs. He responded with, oh, that's a little more serious. Put his foot down for a second, then pretty much just gave a gesture like 'oh well, I've got to finish this ride'. He started making lots of noise and rode on. I figured what the hell and followed him about 5 seconds behind singing my own tunes. I came around the same corner and saw the cubs scampering off again. *Yelled up to the other guy to let him know, about the same time I caught him in my vision on the trail ahead, and there was momma bear, not 15-20 feet of the trail. He rode right by her, she was just munching on something. I yelled out, did you just ride by, he responded yep. Okay, I'll follow. And this is all happening pretty quick, so I just followed. *We exchanged glances again and before i knew it I was past. It was a pretty surreal situation to just ride past that close. It crossed my mind to stop and get a picture, but I thought I might be pushing my luck!

I rode with this guy for a couple km. We exchanged some conversation. I was struggling to keep up with him, so he slowly just rode off and I slowed once our conversation had come to a lull. It was nice to ride with someone for a bit.

At this point I was at about km 16, and it was really flattening out with only some really short ascents. With the flatter terrain I started feeling a bit better. Not long after, The trail started slowly tilting down as well and it got easier and easier. It wasn't long before I started realizing I was getting close and the last downhill km would knock off quick. Then I hit the frisbee golf section where the trail gets hard to follow. Now, I was expecting to come out to a nicely manicured park, and figured a trail went into the park, which you weren't supposed to follow, and I just needed to find the turn. Nope, apparently this is mountain frisbee golf, the course was on the side of a rocky, tree filled hill, and there were trail braids everywhere (though well marked if you just looked). At one point however I was near one of the 'holes' wondering where the trail went, but also trying to figure out where you approached the hole from. Then a disk came flying up a cliff at me, i swear these guys would need to set some ropes to get to the hole. Crazy western folk.

Then that was about it. I entered the lost lake trails. That really felt like the last lap of an 8 hour, it hurt so much, but hurt so good. I rode pretty quickly knowing the pain was about to end.

Overall successful day. I would love to go back and ride this route in great shape. That first section of forest goodness would be fun to just rip and push in the climbing of the switch backs and traverses across the forest.

Not sure what tomorrow will bring. I'm pretty beat and don't have too much interest in riding right now. I need to clean up the bike and get it packed. Though looking through the guide book in the morning may persuade me and another rip through a river might be i order. I've hit my goals however. By my calculation I've ridden 20.5 hours without including the DH day and enjoyed every second of it, some however in retrospect). Not bad. I almost have the right mind to sign up for a 24 solo next weekend.

mtbr member
    Please teach me the ways. How so I approach these 'females' and get pictures?

Do I do it voyeur like, or approach them and ask. I fear with the later, given my sub standard looks, I might just scare them off.

I will do my best tomorrow however.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Technically in this country it's the Pacific South West, it's only the PNW for those southerners from Seattle and Portland.
    It's north west from my home latitude, but if that is offensive to you folk, I will refrain.

"The Pacific Northwest!" - YouTube

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Right after the junction is the Al Gray memorial bridge. The bridge was assembled elsewhere and airlifted in, dedicated to a former president of WORCA (whistler off-road cycling association), who are extremely *active in *making all the trails i rode possible and awesome sauce.
    I knew Al before his WORCA days... while he is immortalized in everyone's mind with this. He did far more then that. I remember his patience with us kids at WMSC... how put kids like Britt, Little Mike, and all the rest of the kids. He spent hours at a time standing on the side of the hill in minus 20 for a bunch of kids with dreams of the Crazy Canucks in our heads. And he was always smiling as I recall. Even when kicking our asses at dryland.

At this point, they were confident the cub had come down, so I continued on down the trail. Not 50 m up, I rounded a corner to see two cubs scatter and mom standing on the trail about 15 m in front of me, just looking at me. Oh ****, not the situation I wanted to be in, Surprising a mother with cubs. She just stood there, I got off my bike and slowly started backing away, we were just watching each other. I didn't get the impression she felt threatened, but I didn't want to find out either. Once i got back around the corner and out of sight, I hoped back on the bike and started calling out to the other guys not to come down the trail. Went back to where they were, and we started talking about what to do. No long after, another guy rode up. Asked if we were okay. We explained there was a bear on the trail. He response was along the lines of so what, and he mounted and started moving on. We then explained it was a mother and cubs. He responded with, oh, that's a little more serious. Put his foot down for a second, then pretty much just gave a gesture like 'oh well, I've got to finish this ride'. He started making lots of noise and rode on. I figured what the hell and followed him about 5 seconds behind singing my own tunes. I came around the same corner and saw the cubs scampering off again. *Yelled up to the other guy to let him know, about the same time I caught him in my vision on the trail ahead, and there was momma bear, not 15-20 feet of the trail. He rode right by her, she was just munching on something. I yelled out, did you just ride by, he responded yep. Okay, I'll follow. And this is all happening pretty quick, so I just followed. *We exchanged glances again and before i knew it I was past. It was a pretty surreal situation to just ride past that close. It crossed my mind to stop and get a picture, but I thought I might be pushing my luck!
    It is kind of weird when you ride by a big arse Grizzly.... did it lots. You where asking about the stupid Bear Bells. Learned this long before the Bear Bells... Sing and whistle a bit when riding. Bears hear way better then they can see. If it sounds human they leave it alone.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hey Sydor.

You seem to be spending some time out at Emerald there. Couple of things to check out if you can before you leave.

If you can do Section 102... easy to get to.. take the same access road up from emerald Dr... don't turn left keep going straight till you reach the fenced in reservoir. cross over the run off creek and there it is. Especially on a sunny day the cliff top look out is great. Good views of Wedge, Lesser Wedge, and Mt Weart with the Armchair Glacier. That is if the usual cloud isn't parked over Armchair. Side benefit if you are fortunate... might see some sun bathing honey's.

Other thing to take some pic's of are the 2 Landmarks of the area. You will never see these two. The Elevator House same side as the steeper access route to the reservoir.. Emerald and Deer Horn.

Other one to see is the mushroom House... if you look at it you will know why we call it that.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Please teach me the ways. How so I approach these 'females' and get pictures?

Do I do it voyeur like, or approach them and ask. I fear with the later, given my sub standard looks, I might just scare them off.

I will do my best tomorrow however.
    Ride out to Lost Lake. Take the trail on the right of the beach... you will see floating rafts. That is the local nude beach so to speak.

Evil Jr.
    I've hit my goals however. By my calculation I've ridden 20.5 hours without including the DH day and enjoyed every second of it, some however in retrospect). Not bad. I almost have the right mind to sign up for a 24 solo next weekend.
    Perfect! Sounds like you got exactly what you wanted out of this trip. Money well-spent!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Really enjoying the posts.....thanks!

mtbr member
    Well ladies and gentlemen, that is the end of the trip. No ride reports from today, nor pictures of female cyclists. I just didn't feel like riding, lounged around, cleaned up the bike, did a little shopping, packed everything up. hitting an early shuttle tomorrow morning to YVR.

Still lounging, enjoying a bottle of mission hill reserve cab sauvignon.

Overall A++ trip. More destination biking is definitely in order.

Thanks for following my tails. I enjoyed writing everything up, it will make the memories more vivid.

mtbr member
    Stands and starts solo clap(ing)

sock puppet
    not to mention rep power you earned with your blog. I am sorry to hear no female cyclists pics, but with time and help from our creator, you may have more success in the near future.

too bad you were riding by yourself, but sometimes, men have to do some soul searching as well. looks like it worked fine.

have a safe trip back and thanks for all the entertainment during very tough period. you made mods very happy, especially this CHUM dude. i am afraid he may leave us now, which is not a good thing...

...you made mods very happy, especially this CHUM dude. i am afraid he may leave us now...
    I could never quit you Oggie....

* as i shudder while i type that - ack! *

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    I could never quit you Oggie....

* as i shudder while i type that - ack! *
    hey, hey... keep it quiet - my wife is reading this forum as well... she is lethal with competition of any sort... would hate to see you hurt...

BTW - can you mods see WHO is posting each rep comment?

Someone (I wonder who - not) has reminder set every month so that he doesn't miss to rep me with some unintelligent nonsense which I will post later. Another negative rep follows shortly - reminders are obviously working. And they are linked to completely fine posts.

Can you guys see users behind these rep comments???

Good to see you hanging around... Seriously...

hey, hey... keep it quiet - my wife is reading this forum as well... she is lethal with competition of any sort... would hate to see you hurt...

BTW - can you mods see WHO is posting each rep comment?

Someone (I wonder who - not) has reminder set every month so that he doesn't miss to rep me with some unintelligent nonsense which I will post later. Another negative rep follows shortly - reminders are obviously working. And they are linked to completely fine posts.

Can you guys see users behind these rep comments???

Good to see you hanging around... Seriously...

short answer is Yes - we can see who leaves rep.

good thing is we (as a general rule) are hard pressed to leave neg rep ourselves.....but we fling the + rep like parade candy.

as far as how distributing rep works - a user can only rep a specific user once every 100 reps distributed(+ or -).

only 10 per day can be sent out.

sock puppet
    Interesting... I hope you will look into these comments that involve the user name of one of the users of this forum. Not that they bother me - I can only laugh. But it seems that it is coming from a couple of people only - should not be hard to figure out...

Feel free to start with mine...

No. Just No.
    Interesting... I hope you will look into these comments that involve the user name of one of the users of this forum. Not that they bother me - I can only laugh. But it seems that it is coming from a couple of people only - should not be hard to figure out...

Meh... can't say I think it's even worth anyone's time IMHO.

Back to the topic at hand, that was a truly excellent adventure CptSydor. Thanks for sharing the experiences as seen through your eyes.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for sharing CptSydor. Very cool.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    i am afraid he may leave us now, which is not a good thing...
    Aaawwwww... are you upset that No Belt left you in the cold for Dicky?

sock puppet
    are you suggesting that all moderators are singlespeeders? rockcrusher confessed. thats fine. CHUM has not come out of the closet yet, or I missed it... that would explain few things though... You've got to be gone fishing to ride singlespeed and rigid.

Anyway, not fair to derail the bestest thread lately.

Jeff - thanks for sharing... Beer is on me.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Little piece of Whistler trail history... Cut Yer Bars was never built by mountain bikers. It used to be a play area for Moto Trials riders first.

mtbr member
    That was an inspiring trip!! thanks for sharing!! I can't wait until I can go do some bike holidays.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Lemmy Rules!

Yeah, I just got another one too. It was "when are you going to stop needling [name omitted]". The sad thing was that I wasn't even trying to needle this person with this particular post. This whole rep points thing is getting really dumb. I always used to thing that one shouldn't post unless you were prepared to say what you were posting to the other person's face. Now people have the option to essentially post anonymously and say whatever they want. Stop the madness!
    Strava made me do it....

Lemmy Rules!
    Jeff, you rock. Great thread. Great trip.

If you do end up signing up for HAN make sure you stop by the Misfit dance party to regale us with more tales of BC riding
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Well Done Captain!

I just have to say that this thread has been awesome enough to draw me out from the creepy lurker shadows that I live in on this forum. Hats (or maybe helmets) off to you!

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Thread = Awesomesauce.

Well done .

Evil Jr.
    are you suggesting that all moderators are singlespeeders?
    Wouldn't surprise me in the least; we singlespeeders are generally a pretty level-headed bunch.

Anyhow, classic thread Jeff! Well done on both the trip and the posts. Here's to a safe trip home!

mtbr member
    Got back late last night. Trip home was uneventful, except the eastern european girl just behind me filling a couple barf bags on the shuttle to VYR. Sounded like she had an epic last night in Whistler.

Looking forward to climbing the 'mountain' here in Hamilton.

sock puppet
    time to start thinking about new epic thread... i am going to miss your daily updates...

can you do a blog on your life for a week or two.

i mean, it is better than nothing, eh?

mtbr member
    Give me a couple weeks and I could rivet you with tales that would both inspire you and make you weep in fear for the future.

mtbr member
    Excellent advanture Jeff!!! Excellent positng skills too!!

" I personally don't need a technical challenge or a feature that makes me go 'wow' around every corner. I'm happy to climb a ski hill for the view and the feeling of accomplishment."

I knew you'd throw in a IKelso weekly race reference in there somewhere!!!

Here is my question:
    I'll be going to Vancouver for a week in September or October to visit my son. I should spend a day or two riding some cross country at Whistler. What is the :"don't miss iit" cross country trail I shouild be looking for?

namagomi
    So long and thanks for all the posts!

mtbr member
    Really enjoyed this thread. Thanks for sharing the Whisler epic!