One Bike To Rule Them All- Mtbr.com
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

One Bike To Rule Them All

Inspired by Singlesprocket. Stolen from another forum.

The rules are simple, one bike. One bike only. Must be able to ride it all on said frame. You can change your wheelset and tires. And pedals as well.

Edit New addition rule is it is a mountain bike. No road bikes or this will get even dumber.

The Mistress in DH mode- Flat pedals oh what an infidel.

The Mistress non dH.- lighter wheels and tires. Clipless
    Last edited by Enduramil; 07-22-2011 at 07:20 PM.

bi-winning
    What do you mean by ride it all?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    What do you mean by ride it all?
    Simple really. You can ride Blue and Horseshoe on it and then ride the Don or Albion the same day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    A Kalloy Uno seatpost? Classic, haven't seen one of those in a while.

One bike that has done it all. Blue, Horseshoe, Bromont, Waterdown, Hilton, Kelso, Porcupine Ridge, the Don and my local creek trails, all with just a change in the wheelset & tires.

Before it came into my hands it was ridden by a pro in world cup XC races all over Canada and a couple events in Europe. Back then it had SIDs, no disc brakes, XTR cranks, Crossmax wheels and a flat carbon handlebar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Simple really. You can ride Blue and Horseshoe on it and then ride the Don or Albion the same day.
    Big bonus marks if you ride it *from* Blue or Horseshoe *to* the Don.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Evil Jr.
    In various configurations:
    -TransRockies
    -Transylvania
    -BCBR
    -Cranks of the Shield
    -O-Cups
    -24H Solos
    -8H Solos
    -Marathons
    -Tuesdays
    -Picnics
    -etc...

Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Give me a set of slicks and a dozen or more riders to form a double paceline for me and I could do it. A team support car would help too, especially with the "power bottles".

mtbr member
    One Bike To Rule Them All-00005sized.jpg
    kolapore
    three stage
    DH in Bromont
    Moab Utah
    colorado
    many local trails
    rail trails

learnt alot on that bike but it died this spring
    broke the frame.

sock puppet

dual crown is for pansies..

one bike. One bike only. Must be able to ride it all on said frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One Bike To Rule Them All-img_0555.jpg  

humber river advocate
    you know i've probally owned and ridden more bikes then the average person. yeah you can have one bike to ride everything. you can even do it on a unicycle... but certain builds/geometries excel on different trails and styles... it's funny how one camp bikes (and trails) are evolving closer and closer to the road (time vs distance) where the other camp (and trails) is progressing to more skill oriented riding (obstacle vs technique). then there are fat tired bikes (which are friggin cool). but peoples ego's often get in the way and they think their bike build is the best thing since sliced cheese... i look at some of these builds and think while they will work for some people and trails... while for other people they would snap like a stale bread stick. (watch that seatpost height).

anyway, nice build enduramil, you can shred the gnar on that beast. on a side note later in the fall we are thinking of setting up urban assult rides in toronto (skydome of yore) to keep up our tech skills. i'll keep you posted and anyone else who wants practice/hack around (pads are a good idea). here's my hack bike (built like my jeep)...

Slick Rick
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    i look at some of these builds and think while they will work for some people and trails... while for other people they would snap like a stale bread stick. (watch that seatpost height).
    That's what's going to make this thread so interesting.

Where you see breadsticks, I see tanks. Watch those low saddles!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    That sounds like a challenge. Google maps shows 113km from Horseshoe to Leslie and Lawrence. Start at the top of the lift, first one through the Ridge to Pottery Rd wins?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    That sounds like a challenge. Google maps shows 113km from Horseshoe to Leslie and Lawrence. Start at the top of the lift, first one through the Ridge to Pottery Rd wins?
    You could run it just like the Great Divide!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

This isn’t my only bike, but I can and do ride it everywhere. If I could only keep one, this would be it. Not light, but not ridiculously heavy. It climbs well, it descends well, it generally is a blast to ride and it suits my riding style. It is capable of double black runs at Whistler, and climbing Comfortably Numb the next day. I’ve even done a 24h at Albion on it (not solo!), and though it is not the ideal bike for that by any means, it was comfy at least!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    You could run it just like the Great Divide!
    I think even if I had to walk a road bike down Shotglass in road shoes, I'd still catch my DH bike before Oslerbluff.

Such a contest would thus require some strange rules.

I was actually gonna ride a borrowed road bike up to blue today on the "ride for sight" route, but the I cupcaked out when I say the forecast high. I'll be riding in the car instead.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

humber river advocate
    i see more "boeuf" then "baton de pain"
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    it's funny how one camp bikes (and trails) are evolving closer and closer to the road (time vs distance) where the other camp (and trails) is progressing to more skill oriented riding (obstacle vs technique)
    What's funny is how you manage to turn every thread into this kind of crap. You just can't help yourself, can you.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Arek View Post
    What's funny is how you manage to turn every thread into this kind of crap. You just can't help yourself, can you.
    give your biased criticism a rest

enjoy your "baton de pain"
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    give your biased criticism a rest

enjoy your "baton de pain"
    Well, thank goodness that only one of us here is biased.

mtbr member
    Here's my 'most versatile bike' that I've owned.

I've done epic XC rides, DH shuttling and hit more than a few 5-10 ft drops on it (don't worry, the seat was lowered and I was riding flats). It was the perfect bike for me for the East coast where the riding was a lot more technical, with many TTF incorporated into the trail systems. (Also got laughed at on more than one occasion in the line for the lifts at Blue, not that I gave a $hit, but for those feeling that certain groups are more 'inclusive'.)

mtbr member
    Real happy with this configuration.....rides up or down 99% of all trails in Ontario well.
    ive been looking for a steel 4"approx. suspension frame lately, likely have to go custom though....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One Bike To Rule Them All-img_1410.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Here's my 'most versatile bike' that I've owned.

I've done epic XC rides, DH shuttling and hit more than a few 5-10 ft drops on it (don't worry, the seat was lowered and I was riding flats). It was the perfect bike for me for the East coast where the riding was a lot more technical, with many TTF incorporated into the trail systems. (Also got laughed at on more than one occasion in the line for the lifts at Blue, not that I gave a $hit, but for those feeling that certain groups are more 'inclusive'.)
    an overwhelming amount of those people that own those big bike dont use them to their potential....stand on pedals...pull brakes!!! under a couple minutes of GNAR....

silly fools.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    -Marathons
    -Tuesdays
    -Picnics
    -etc...
    What about the horizontal tango?
    Or is that covered under ect...?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    here's my hack bike (built like my jeep)...
    Hack riders need hack bikes. Smooth riders can shred up down across and around the gnar on light non over built bikes.

Certain elite riders with a modern 5x5 AM will ride the pants off a hack on a DH bike. That same rider will school a mid pack XC rider on a pure bred race machine.

It ALL comes down to the rider these days. Toss your notions of "snap like a stale bread stick" out the window. You bring your blinged out DH bike to N.Van I'll set up a DH ride where you will be severely humbled by a few guys on 100mm travel 29'er Tallboys. Seats will be left up and guys will be clipped in.

A bike I built up in 2003. It rode everything in the east. Eventually I broke the frame at the shock mount. It's a do it all east bike I really liked.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Hack riders need hack bikes. Smooth riders can shred up down across and around the gnar on light non over built bikes.
    One of the craziest things I've ever seen was a guy on rigid bike with cantilever brakes shredding the DH runs at Ste Anne. I still don't know how he made it down the world cup course and other double black diamond runs without melting his brake pads.

Slick Rick
    How did I know this thread would turn into a pissing match? It's the MTBR Rule - All threads lead to 0.

Just ride the damn things. Who cares.
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

Evil Jr.
    We're not at zero yet. This thing still has a lot of life in it before someone gets upset enough to have it locked.

MOAR bike pics plz!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Oh, so that's what they mean when they say 'banana seat'!

Slick Rick
    We're not at zero yet. This thing still has a lot of life in it before someone gets upset enough to have it locked.

MOAR bike pics plz!
    K fine

www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    Last time I rode Blue Happy Valley would be doable on a Cross bike,

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanb View Post
    How did I know this thread would turn into a pissing match? It's the MTBR Rule - All threads lead to 0.

Just ride the damn things. Who cares.
    It's not Shirk's fault that Summer is giving BC the finger this year.

mtbr member

At 27ish lbs. it's light enough to be raced XC, but burly enough to take some decent abuse. Did some shuttle DH type stuff in Jamaica with it, which wasn't crazy advanced, but the bike didn't hinder me (compared to Nomads/Ibis Mojo/5" AM type stuff). Even threw down a few laps at the Don pump track today, and the bike is agile enough to make it around w/o pedalling. I used my manually-cam-activated dropper post before and after I hit it.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post

At 27ish lbs. it's light enough to be raced XC, but burly enough to take some decent abuse. Did some shuttle DH type stuff in Jamaica with it, which wasn't crazy advanced, but the bike didn't hinder me (compared to Nomads/Ibis Mojo/5" AM type stuff). Even threw down a few laps at the Don pump track today, and the bike is agile enough to make it around w/o pedalling. I used my manually-cam-activated dropper post before and after I hit it.
    It should be noted that it is in fact a different frame then the one taken to Jamaica.

humber river advocate
    hack rider, dirt bag... all bikes break... wait a minute i'll gas up my lear jet and fly right over for that... you sound very angry for a west coaster... you need to chill out a little... you seem tense? perhaps you should move to toronto and buy a condo downtown and drive 2 hours to ride your singlespeed 29'er with the extended seatpost in albion hills...

Certain elite riders with a modern 5x5 AM will ride the pants off a hack on a DH bike. That same rider will school a mid pack XC rider on a pure bred race machine.

It ALL comes down to the rider these days. Toss your notions of "snap like a stale bread stick" out the window. You bring your blinged out DH bike to N.Van I'll set up a DH ride where you will be severely humbled by a few guys on 100mm travel 29'er Tallboys. Seats will be left up and guys will be clipped in.

A bike I built up in 2003. It rode everything in the east. Eventually I broke the frame at the shock mount. It's a do it all east bike I really liked.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member

Nevertheless, elite riders ride elite bikes when competing. So clearly both rider and bike make a contribution to performance, comfort, and just about anything else you can objectively or subjectively say about riding a bike.

You can point out until you’re blue in the face that Contador could trade bikes with me and kick my ass going uphill on my fat tyre bike, but I don’t see any point in buying a mountain bike for road riding. Likewise we’ve all seen Martyn Ashton shredding on a carbon road bike, but if you’re goinnna stick with “it’s all the rider,” your argument does a disservice to peopel who will learn to ride more safely and swiftly when the use the correct bike for riding off road.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Best all round I have owned was this BlurLT
    One Bike To Rule Them All-bike-005.jpg
    Endurance races, the don, Albion, Blue, 3 stage, Vermont, Moab,
    It was a great all round bike.

sock puppet

what is the "correct" bike?

and who can make that call for someone else?

If I understood shirk correctly, those guys CHOSE to ride Tallboys - maybe for a reason... Maybe because they can climb efficiently as well as hammer down the hill and have fun in the process - doing both? Who needs a chair? Well, let's not go there...

Just saying - in the grand scheme of things, the "correct" bike is the one you have fun with and you should know that, no?

Tallboy is the best all around bike I have ever owned. I raced it at Buckwallow and rode the hell out of it at Hilton Falls/Agreement forest. Few guys with full face helmets at Hilton Falls looked at me weird after they found out it was all carbon bike... "and you ride it HERE?"

You may have another "best all around bike" and that is fine... No one is wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    Nevertheless, elite riders ride elite bikes when competing. So clearly both rider and bike make a contribution to performance, comfort, and just about anything else you can objectively or subjectively say about riding a bike.

You can point out until you’re blue in the face that Contador could trade bikes with me and kick my ass going uphill on my fat tyre bike, but I don’t see any point in buying a mountain bike for road riding. Likewise we’ve all seen Martyn Ashton shredding on a carbon road bike, but if you’re goinnna stick with “it’s all the rider,” your argument does a disservice to peopel who will learn to ride more safely and swiftly when the use the correct bike for riding off road.

namagomi
    hack rider, dirt bag... all bikes break... wait a minute i'll gas up my lear jet and fly right over for that... you sound very angry for a west coaster... you need to chill out a little... you seem tense? perhaps you should move to toronto and buy a condo downtown and drive 2 hours to ride your singlespeed 29'er with the extended seatpost in albion hills...
    Down at albion hillz sippin' clif sizzurp on my ride (on my ride).
    Oh yeah. Feelin' so fly on my two niner (niner)

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Tallboy is the best all around bike I have ever owned. I raced it at Buckwallow and rode the hell out of it at Hilton Falls/Agreement forest. Few guys with full face helmets at Hilton Falls looked at me weird after they found out it was all carbon bike... "and you ride it HERE?"
    I bet you say that to every bike you're currently riding!

mtbr member
    It should be noted that it is in fact a different frame then the one taken to Jamaica.
    It should also be noted that both frames were sz large Bansee Paradox frames.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    It should also be noted that both frames were sz large Bansee Paradox frames.
    Hey... I'm bored.

humber river advocate
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Down at albion hillz sippin' clif sizzurp on my ride (on my ride).
    Oh yeah. Feelin' so fly on my two niner (niner)

broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Edit New addition rule is it is a mountain bike. No road bikes or this will get even dumber.

Lemmy Rules!
    ride your singlespeed 29'er with the extended seatpost in albion hills...
    What's wrong with that? Singlespeeders are stakeholders too.

For someone who spends so much time bleating about how mountainbiking should be more inclusive, you sure are a hypocrite.

Maybe you should go take a long ride off a short pier on one of your overbuilt hack bikes.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member

yeh open pro represent

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    What's wrong with that? Singlespeeders are stakeholders too.
    Team Albion SingleSpeeders

sock puppet

I wish I could...

that would mean I have always ridden bikes that were "the best ever" - which is of course just my personal opinion and I hope you don't find anything wrong with that...

However, I rode bikes that I did not grow to like as much as I wanted (Specialized Epic Marathon 29 for example) which may or may not be "the best ever" bikes for some other riders...

Nothing wrong with that either...

Now if you could enlighten me about the point you were trying to make, if you care please?

Because I couldn't see it from your post...

Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    I bet you say that to every bike you're currently riding!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

I just look at those chainstays and I can hear them flexing.

mtbr member
    My '01 RFX:

GTA area trails (Don, Buck, Kolapore, Durham, Waterdown, etc)
    Ottawa area trails (Kanata Lakes, Fortune, etc)
    Blue
    Horseshoe
    Snowshoe
    Diablo
    Bromont
    Whistler (park & valley trails)
    Williams Lake
    Kamloops
    N. Van
    Courtenay (Forbidden Plateau, Hornby)

Trail riding, DH, freeride, 10 seasons and still going strong
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I just look at those chainstays and I can hear them flexing.
    No, the creaking noise is my knees.

mtbr member
    My vote for the ride anything bike in Ontario, is the Santa Cruz Chameleon with the Blur coming in second. The reason for the Chameleon coming in first is that it is a way better street and park bike. I can even do some trials on it. For Blue, I would prefer a full squish bike though. If I did more DH, then it would be a different story. I have mine set up with:

Mavic 721 wheels with Hadley hubs
    Fox RSL 100 fork
    Saint Hydro brakes
    Saint shifters with XTR derailleurs front and back
    Race Face Cranks
    Easton Cully pedals
    Shwalbe Table Tops for Joyride, and this season Rocket Ron's for everything else on the advice of Osokolo. I have to say they are the best all around tires I have ever run.
    Race face carbon bars (really wide)
    Thomson set back post and Thomson stem

mtbr member
    I am a big believer of "use the right tool for the job" but sometimes you need to use the one in your hand.

so here is my "ONE BIKE"
    I use it to keep up with carbon Hardtails on Sunday Races then go and play with some 6" bikes in the Copland or Buckwallow on Mondays. It also does pretty good going from Barrie to any trail system with in an hours ride on the road (actually just as fast as my CX bike with slicks on the road)

If I were to get a second bike it would either be a RM Slayer, or a 8" DH rig. There really is nothing like having 8" of travel under you to clean some of the rock gardens and big drops out there.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    hack rider, dirt bag... all bikes break...
    You are aware that there is a difference between being a dirtbag and a cheapskate?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Here's my idea of a do-it-all bike. I think it suits our terrain and trails pretty well. Lots of short, steep ups and downs, all technical. I've ridden it on the local DH trails and with the Angleset and the 36, it's pretty fun. It goes up things better than any 33lb 6" travel bike should. In the end, a do it all bike comes down to the set of compromises you're willing to make based on your terrain and the stuff you like to ride. The T2 doesn't go up things like a carbon hardtail, but it's a lot more fun on the way down (to me anyway ) and I'm willing to sacrifice some climbing ability for descent-friendly geometry. If I had easy access to lift-accessed DH, I would want a dedicated DH bike, but I get to Bromont or Whistler once a year so renting a DH bike isn't a big deal. Though with a beefed up wheelset and a chainguide I don't think there's anything in WBP that I wouldn't ride on it that I would have ridden on my old Uzzi.

It's way dirtier than this now, just haven't had time to take any pics.

humber river advocate
    very nice bike!

Quote Originally Posted by L. Ron Hoover View Post
    Here's my idea of a do-it-all bike. I think it suits our terrain and trails pretty well. Lots of short, steep ups and downs, all technical. I've ridden it on the local DH trails and with the Angleset and the 36, it's pretty fun. It goes up things better than any 33lb 6" travel bike should. In the end, a do it all bike comes down to the set of compromises you're willing to make based on your terrain and the stuff you like to ride. The T2 doesn't go up things like a carbon hardtail, but it's a lot more fun on the way down (to me anyway ) and I'm willing to sacrifice some climbing ability for descent-friendly geometry. If I had easy access to lift-accessed DH, I would want a dedicated DH bike, but I get to Bromont or Whistler once a year so renting a DH bike isn't a big deal. Though with a beefed up wheelset and a chainguide I don't think there's anything in WBP that I wouldn't ride on it that I would have ridden on my old Uzzi.

broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Evil Jr.
    very nice bike!
    +1! There's something about that build that's *just* right.

mtbr member
    That is a really nice build. I have always liked Santa Cruz and Intense products. I only get out to Blue once or twice a year and I did Sir Sams a couple of weeks ago (does not require a squishy bike). I do get out to Joyride all winter, so a hardtail is way more suited for my type of riding. The next rig I get will be a Blur. I think I can do the pump track and the smaller box jumps on that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    very nice bike!
    +1! There's something about that build that's *just* right.
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    That is a really nice build. I have always liked Santa Cruz and Intense products. I only get out to Blue once or twice a year and I did Sir Sams a couple of weeks ago (does not require a squishy bike). I do get out to Joyride all winter, so a hardtail is way more suited for my type of riding. The next rig I get will be a Blur. I think I can do the pump track and the smaller box jumps on that.
    Thanks guys! I'm really enjoying it. I don't know what they did but this bike descends as well as my old Uzzi VPX but goes up things way better. I'm getting up things on this bike that I couldn't do on either the Uzzi (not a big surprise) or the Opus Maadh I had last year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    https://www.dropmachine.com/media/data/500/IMG_9140.jpg
    Hmmmm...I think it's missing a few things....it should be more like this:

Note the waterbottle cage, bell, and a working lock bracket.
    And last, and certainly least, a pair of platform pedals.

Also note that it's in the forest instead of sitting in front of the garage.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Now have a new project in the works. A build better suited to the way she actually enjoys riding.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I officially admit that the Chromag Surface I likey.

mtbr member
    Just picked up a intense t29. This might be the one

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Great question, I'm kinda living it right now, moving from three bikes to one. I had a all suspension all mountain, commuter, and hardtail XC, and after much thinking and researching believe I've settled on the SC Chameleon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

25lbs of anything you want!

Here is my one bike...talas 95 or 120....4inch on the back, with lockout.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One Bike To Rule Them All-317538_2126563079959_1122369888_31929755_2015974888_n.jpg  

sock puppet
    are you prostituting yourself part time this year? this is the second spit shiny Spesh this year, no?

you sure it is 25#? 1x9?

watch that seat post...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

one bike to do it all, OR you can never have too many bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    are you prostituting yourself part time this year? this is the second spit shiny Spesh this year, no?

you sure it is 25#? 1x9?

watch that seat post...

Oggie...I like my toys, and i especially like 29ers. Might even build a RIP (niner) from jenson over the winter.....this addiction is better than the other one :-)

1X10, XTR rearD + XX cassette, big fat tires for fall riding! love it....when are we heading out for a spin?

later all

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by L. Ron Hoover View Post

That is one sweet ride! Love the Tracer's

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I only have one offroad bike and I don't feel like I need another. Never been let down by it on any trail or in any woods.

2011 SWorks Epic.