Omnivore Ride Report: Albion + Dr. Quads- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Omnivore Ride Report: Albion + Dr. Quads

Monday night I went to Albion with an Endurance Racing buddy. We rode for two hours and I absolutely killed myself on my SS. In keeping with the vibe of the place, I put the crank brothers pedals on and tried my best to ride the singletrack brakeless.

I have to agree with Oggie: It may not feature many Technical Trail Features (I recall a few optional small rock gardens, one small ladder ofver a brdige, and one nasty broken log ride-over), but Albion offers as much technique-intensive riding as you care to soak up. My challenge to myself was simple: Try to find a speed for cruising through the singletrack without hitting the brakes. This may not be the fastest way through from a racing perspective, but it was an absolute blast trying to control my speedso that I could flow through the corners and hillocks. I also tried to pump as much as I could, I even found some small air to backsides.

Not everyone's favourite place, but not a waste of two hours either. What more does one ask than to be entertained, to exercise the body, and to learn something?

Wednesday I was hungry to balance the ledger, so we rode out to do Dr. Quads from end to end in the Don. Things did not start auspiciously. When trying to ride the 60' 2x6 in Crothers Woods, I lost it about half way along and completely abandoned everything I know about bailing off a feature. The resulting tumble downhill was epic. We rode up STDs and were rewarded with a beaver sighting in the shallows. Wonderful! I regret that I had left the phone in the car :-(

Dr. Quads itself was very dry. The North end of it has some very steep ride-ups, and everyone's tires were slipping. I've done those when the ground was more tacky, I don't know if the dusty conditions make it harder or if it's a lack of technique on my part. I'm riding a 2.1" DB8 in the rear at about 28psi, so I suspect that if anything is at fault, it is the rider not the equipment.

One particular bridge over a marsh is in poor condition but still rideable with some trials-y body english to negotiate a broken section. The rest are in decent shape. One or two are a little springy and could use some work to shore them up on their supports, but they ride just fine and it adds spice to a stiff drink.

The nest of skinnies is in greta shape and we sessioned them a bit. I was unable to ride them from bottom to top, but top-down I'm fine with everything except the squeeze between the trees. I'll be back to work out some weird trials hopping move through there. Or I'll chop my handlebars, there has to be a way to ride that whole thing clean.

The forest was cool and after playing on the stunts, we flowed the rest of the trail to the trannies, where we whooped and hollared our way back to civilization and a parking lot full of middle-aged men smoking in cars.

Those two rides are pretty-much polar opposites in character and location, and that's part of what I love about mountain biking. <3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Omnivore Ride Report: Albion + Dr. Quads-281472_10150226000086184_589291183_7408254_2251579_n.jpg  

Omnivore Ride Report: Albion + Dr. Quads-281445_10150257651034246_671154245_7112332_4273135_n.jpg  

Last edited by raganwald; 07-21-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Evil Jr.
    Well done!

I've had a similarly diverse and excellent week. Sunday was the Hamilton Endurance ride (see thread for crazy rocky details), Monday, I took myself and a friend on a brief boot around some local CAs. Tuesday was Albion, of course. And last night, I hooked up with the fine folks of the SHCC for some great crawling around The Hood in Port Colborne. And to top it all off, Saturday is the 8 at Hardwood, for which I can hardly wait.

Probably the best week of riding I've had all summer!

PS. I will tag this thread will albiotards so that we can find it in a search.
    Last edited by garage monster; 07-21-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: albiotard(s) is plural, my bad
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    glad to see i'm not the only fool out in this weather heeding the advise not to exercise outdoors.
    sunday was 27km at albion. made it to 18.5 km before my first rest after two very close encounters with trees due to the heat.
    monday another 22km at albion
    then wednesday 15km at mansfield which was probably the toughest.
    should be ready for the epic 8.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My week thus far has been fairly productive.

Video & photo session with my buddy at the giant teeter on the weekend

Then we did a speed run on the local trails on Monday
    (this is actually from last year, but same trail with more speed)
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F2BmYOZrZP0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tuesday was mapping out a new section of trail on the creek
    Anyone got a brush trimmer I can borrow?
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cYYK1FTbuDo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yesterday was Waterdown and killing it on the downhill at H2O, I walked back up and sessioned that stretch a couple more times. I was there in the spring when half the trails were still unridable, yesterday was just awesome, a little loose in places so I couldn't make it up a couple of the climbs but the downhills were super fun. Got a bit lost there too, I had the excellent map made by Rider Mel with me but lost it somewhere on the trail, I'm guessing it fell out when I was grabbing for the Clif bars in my jersey.

sock puppet
    great write up Reg...
    i am starting to miss the Don... the damn day only has 24 hours...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Played a little tonight on our short DH run getting used to the 5.10's.

mtbr member
    Nice shots from quads.

Also got Five.10s yesterday, they definitely stick better than the 10-yr-old airwalks I was hacking around on.

About Variety: This weekend plan involves riding down Shotglass and up Scenic Caves Drive.

Maybe on the same day. (No, not on the same bike.)
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Also got Five.10s yesterday, they definitely stick better than the 10-yr-old airwalks I was hacking around on.
    I did the 5.10s from Vans upgrade about a year ago. BIG improvement!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    About Variety: This weekend plan involves riding down Shotglass and up Scenic Caves Drive.

Maybe on the same day. (No, not on the same bike.)
    Whether on one bike or two, that's a worthy goal. Very true to the omnivorous spirit!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    Very true to the omnivorous spirit!
    Perhaps this explains the raccoon.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration