The Official Trials Content Thread- Mtbr.com
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

The Official Trials Content Thread

In the spirit of not excessively derailing a thread. As well as not to dilute another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    Danny has the perfect blend of trials/street and has created a whole new riding style. The riding and specially the filming are really good as always. However there is nothing new in this one. I am not knocking anything here, but as far as the progressive aspects go, this falls a bit short compared to the mind blowing stuff he put out in the past. The front flips, the fakey to static tailwhip and the tree rides along with the patented fakey nose wheely, where never seen anywhere. He made use of terrain like no one else adapting trials or street techniques to suit. This video has a lot more trials in it and there there is really nothing of note. The 180 surge on the tracks and the cable riding are both patented Leech moves. I saw him ride a chain in one of the demos he did. There are a few creative pedal kicks, but nothing of note as far as great trials is concerned. I realize it's funny commenting negatively on such good riding, but it is only because I have come to expect really innovative stuff from this guy. While this is very good, it is not ground breaking.
    This is kind of the problem with trials especially when it comes to video. in reality it is like golf..really boring to the majority. While people view this from the outside... trials riders are like golfers. They will look at say a series of rocks they have done all the time. Each time is different and a challenge. Because it's about doing it better this time... whether that be one less dab or one less hop. It's really not about flashy moves and it's really boring... kind of like watching curling.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 08-19-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    <iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kRwXAkjC850" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MJl2Ihi9T-Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    In the spirit of not excessively derailing a thread. As well as not to dilute another thread.

This is kind of the problem with trials especially when it comes to video. in reality it is like golf..really boring to the majority.
    I have no idea what people do or donít see in Golf, but street trials, BMX, and skateboarding all have both aesthetic and technical aspects to them, just like figure skating or precision skydiving. My meaning is that lots of ordinary folks like Dannyís videos for their composition and flow, for the dance aspect and not just the destruction of technical boundaries.

To me, the greatest rider in this discipline is going to be the one that is so good that only another rider will appreciate how difficult a line is or isnít. In this, it is a lot like music. There are wonderful musicians and flashy players. The great musicians play so well that the average listener has no idea whether the line is easy or hard to play. Steely Dan comes to mind. How many of their listeners have any idea whether their tunes are easy or hard to play?

In this case, if Danny isnít breaking new ground technically, Iím ok with him simply combining the existing moves in new ways in a new location. Much as most western musicians are still fooling around with the same idea of eight notes out of twelve :-)

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Bike vs. Moto Trials Videos
    Sweet videos. It was really cool to see some of the same moves being done on very different bikes.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Just came back from a bit of fun at Queen's.

GAME ON!
    it's boring to watch your friends ride trials, but awesome to watch pros do it in videos.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    it's boring to watch your friends ride trials, but awesome to watch pros do it in videos.
    I find it interesting to work on things with friends, you watch them and point out their mistakes, then they watch you and so forth. But as much as I like watching great cyclists, to me it is a participation sport. Iíd rather be riding than watching anyone.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    it's boring to watch your friends ride trials,
    Watching an XC race is as boring as watching Oprah.

mtbr member
    Watching many sports is boring if you don't appreciate the sport. Baseball and golf are both like this, and soccer is like this to many in North America. It always helps to actually have played or tried the sport to appreciate what is being done. Having said that, the first time I watched a trials video, I knew what they were doing was awesome and I wanted to try it. I did not realize how hard it was going to be. I think that Danny does a great job with this video. It looks great. It is a bit more on the trials side, and I have been following the scene for a few years and watched a lot of video. The stuff here is relatively tame for trials. Watch some of the Tarty Bike guys. A lot of the stuff in the video is standard trials stuff from a few years back. It's when Danny combines the two disciplines at break neck speed, that things get really interesting: and he is not doing a lot of that here. As I said before, I have been blown away every time one of these videos comes out, but not so much this time. It is not that this is not great, it is that it is not great by Danny standards......and that's a hard standard to maintain.

Steely Dan eh: you must be ancient like me.

Evil Jr.
    Watching the Trials Championships at Worlds last year was amazing. They did a great job of keeping the area really tight and very spectator friendly not to mention the spectacular riding.

It did remind me of the gallery around a putting green at a golf tournament though. Everyone was totally silent until something really cool happened and then, lots of applause.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

namagomi
    Trials is not like golf, in fact I find that statement offensive.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    In the spirit for which the Eastern Canada forum has become known, I'll turn the knife. What's the difference between a golfer and a trials rider?

A golfer goes: Whack!... Merde!!!
    A trials rider goes: Merde!... Whack!!!

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    In the spirit for which the Eastern Canada forum has become known, I'll turn the knife. What's the difference between a golfer and a trials rider?

This sounds like a deliberate violation of the MTBR guidelines.

I've never heard of somebody being assaulted by a bike, but if we look at Tiger we'll find out that your own clubs can be used as a weapon against you.

This alone is a good reason not to golf and take up trials instead.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I've never heard of somebody being assaulted by a bike, but if we look at Tiger we'll find out that your own clubs can be used as a weapon against you.
    Shows what you know!

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AFvbefsDN00" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Shows what you know!
    To be fair it's only a wheel and I'll take getting hit with the super-light roadie wheel over a 9 iron - anyday!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Warning..foul language from Robin Williams.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8qPrR49qsDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    wow... this thread has completely wandered. I started reading it cause I actually ride trials, but ended up learning more about golf, roadies beating each other, and watching robin williams.

Anywho. A lot of trials videos can be boring to watch if you're not into the sport. Some of the better made videos are able to conquer this.

humber river advocate
    [QUOTE=Nerdgirl;8374885]Shows what you know!

tip of the iceberg

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/udKl_trRpxU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    I need a bike with James Bond components.

I thought I would post some actual trials for the thread. Almost anything from Tarty Bikes will do:

Dave Marshall TartyBikes Trials Promo - YouTube

namagomi
    Looks slippery!

mtbr member
    That's a course where you grind and put tar on your rim.... and then tar your wheels.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5Hi6RXoH8xc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>