Official Page - Mountain Bike Ontario Festival- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Official Page - Mountain Bike Ontario Festival

Mountain Bike Ontario was founded as a grassroots volunteer organization working to unite, support and celebrate Ontario's passionate mountain bike community, and find innovative ways of working together towards common goals. This sparked the idea of the Mountain Bike Ontario Festival.

The Mountain Bike Ontario Festival has been developed in partnership with the International Mountain Bicycling Association (Canada) and Sacred Rides. This inaugural festival will be entitled "Trailblazing" to capture the energy of this innovative new initiative.
    "Trailblazing" will create a platform to act as a catalyst for collaboration and the growth of all forms of mountain bikers across the province to gather and build community and a forum to communicate the need for Ontario mountain bikers and various community stakeholders to work together to promote and grow the sport to people of all ages.

"Trail Blazing" is also a fun filled event aimed at bringing together active families and cycling enthusiasts from across Ontario. Guests will have the opportunity to participate in several activities and competitions.

Mark off Saturday July 16th, 2011, to be held at Kelso Conservation. The venue offers chair lift service with access to a diverse trail system, a family beach and over night camping.

Quick Points of Interest
    The Festival will host a meeting of IMBA Canada's Ontario Regional Leadership Advisory Council (RLAC)
    Chair Lift Access - to a diverse network of Cross Country and Downhill Trails
    "Crank it Up" - main stage, performances, DJ etc.
    "The Hub" - Product and Bicycle Demo's
    Sacred Rides "MTB U" instructional programs
    "Training Wheels" GORBA organized beginner and kids rides and clinics
    Joy Ride 150 "Skillz Park" area
    Various Vendors, Bike Shops
    Over Night Camping
    Star Lit bike movie night
    Different skill competitions

Current supporters are - GORBA, TORBA, DMBA, Short Hills, Toronto Bicycling Network, WCC, Sacred Rides, Defiant MTB, IMBA, CTS Bike Club and growing....

Please check back for more info, things are ramping up daily, there is allot of interest in this new initiative. Website info is www.mtbonfestival.com, still under construction but stayed tuned will be live soon. Also on face book - Mountain Bike Ontario Festival.

Please post up any ideas, or if your interested in sponsoring, volunteering or would like more info. Together, we can make this a truly rewarding experience.
    Last edited by mtbfestival; 02-13-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Evil Jr.
    Sounds awesome! I was at Joyride when the planning meeting was happening and there is definitely a lot of enthusiasm for this event!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

humber river advocate
    hey great idea

lake jump! the bmbc can help out with that!

thought it was an old thread at first...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...+bike+Festival
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

banned
    Feb 2005
    Love the location, good luck.

humber river advocate
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B3GribQCg6c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    sounds great

Moderator Moderator
    Sounds pretty awesome and I'd be all for it but it turns out that I'm getting married that day. Have fun everyone!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My weekend to work

sock puppet
    think again... mtb festival may be a better option...

mtbr member
    After a few set backs its finally going to happen! Can't wait!!!

Trying to make this a family oriented event so no excuses for not coming out to support (except maybe your own wedding Many of us will be camping over night so make a weekend of it.

We are planning some great group rides on the local trails at Hilton Falls as well for those seeking a technical challenge.

Please post up your ideas and make sure you join the FB page for updates.

See you there!
    Defiant MTB

2008 Yeti 575 Carbon Team Turquoise

humber river advocate
    lol ^ too funny...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

GAME ON!
    "scared rides" sounds fun. i think some editing is on tap.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    "scared rides" sounds fun. i think some editing is on tap.
    Maybe those are costume night rides?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Up, Up, and Away!
    How many camp sites are there?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprGrovr
    We have tentatively reserved 80 sites at the moment, there are quite a few more though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Working on this bad boy

Bag Jump
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Page - Mountain Bike Ontario Festival-bagjump.jpg  

namagomi

That bag jump looks intimidating, but would probably be a lot of fun!

Last time I was swimming at kelso though there was a large shallow sandy area... not sure it's possible to have a lake jump? At least you won't drown in the bag

mtbr member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl0xV...layer_embedded

This vid gives you an idea of what we are hoping for...
    Defiant MTB

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfestival
    We have tentatively reserved 80 sites at the moment, there are quite a few more though.
    Camping would be a great way to go. It would be like Solstice without all the annoying night laps!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If you cannot jump into it electrik how about riding over it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFy7FwmwQeo

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Will there be ladies only rides and such? Or a wife sitting service?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Camping would be a great way to go. It would be like Solstice without all the annoying night laps!
    no excuse for not drinking beer.
    maybe get some local brewer on board.

sock puppet
    yep, counseling will be provided on site, free of charge ...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    yep, counseling will be provided on site, free of charge ...

So that will be counseling after hearing Singlesprocket and you battle it out in the Thunderdome?

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    So that will be counseling after hearing Singlesprocket and you battle it out in the Thunderdome?
    who is that?

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone74
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl0xV...layer_embedded

This vid gives you an idea of what we are hoping for...
    no wet shoes! will be a huge hit
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Evil Jr.
    I finally had a chance to plug this date into the OCA calendar. It's tough finding good dates (talk to me about our club BBQ... ) but it looks like, event-wise, your only competition is the Kingston Marathon and Lost in the Rocks and Trees and maybe Chico's Gran Fondo (for the roadie crowd)!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I finally had a chance to plug this date into the OCA calendar. It's tough finding good dates (talk to me about our club BBQ... ) but it looks like, event-wise, your only competition is the Kingston Marathon and Lost in the Rocks and Trees and maybe Chico's Gran Fondo (for the roadie crowd)!

So, will this be a Cycling Ontario authorized event? Will there be required tire measurements? How about socks.. will we be required to submit 3 months in advance what we will be wearing so we know if it passes muster with the Commissaire's?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprGrovr
    There are 18 campsites at Kelso and they vary in size. They are designed to be group camping sites so they accommodate a min. of 12 to a max of 75 people each.

We have booked all the campsites in the "Flats" area (sites C, D, E, F1, F2, G, H1, H2) to account for festival guests/sponsors, etc.. and to allow us to have an entire area that will be festival campers. We are planning to have the Movie night in the campsite area as well (logisitics dependant).

*Please note ALCOHOLIC beverages are prohibited in the park.

We are making provisions for a beer tent for a few post ride bevy's during Festival hours (10 am to 9pm)
    Defiant MTB

mtbr member
    It was tough to find the right date and we had originally picked June 18th but were forced to change as the OCA bumped us due to a scheduling conflict with their race timers and scheduled the Keslo DH Ocup same day.

I didn't realize Crankworx has moved to July this year starting the same weekend and the XC Nationals in Canmore are on the same weekend. Other than that I hope we have a good turn out.
    Defiant MTB

mtbr member
    I don't see why not but we will have to gauge interest. Sacred Rides should be able to accommodate should we get a group out. I've attended their sessions before and they have some fantastic female instructors.

GORBA is volunteering some of their riders for the Kelso and Hilton Falls guided rides so I'll check if a Women's ride is in the works...
    Defiant MTB

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I don't see why not but we will have to gauge interest. Sacred Rides should be able to accommodate should we get a group out. I've attended their sessions before and they have some fantastic female instructors.

GORBA is volunteering some of their riders for the Kelso and Hilton Falls guided rides so I'll check if a Women's ride is in the works...
    Best to have that as an option. So far it looks like Joely can come out but she was asking about this. I think it is only fair as it will give the ladies the option for rides that are less testosterone fuelled.

And to be fair. I would like to see my wife who is newbie get to ride with other women. Most of the other rides are with me. And I'd like her to meet and hang out with women riders to develop her own connections. Not all of it through me and not with her coach.. me around all the time.

mtbr member
    Best to have that as an option. So far it looks like Joely can come out but she was asking about this. I think it is only fair as it will give the ladies the option for rides that are less testosterone fuelled.

And to be fair. I would like to see my wife who is newbie get to ride with other women. Most of the other rides are with me. And I'd like her to meet and hang out with women riders to develop her own connections. Not all of it through me and not with her coach.. me around all the time.
    Agreed we will offer the option if resources permit. We are trying to make this a family friendly event and appeal to all riders of all ages and abilities. Bring your wife, girlfriend, that friend you always wanted to get on a mtb bike. We will try to accommodate everyone. My wife who is a newbie will be there on my...errr her new 29er =)

Defiant MTB has been promoting a Women's specific program but, it has a mixed reception as some women don't feel the need to segment rides/activities and others only much prefer to ride together. If people want it we do it.

Anyone else interested in women's riding activities?
    Defiant MTB

sock puppet

me

do I have to be a female to qualify?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Agreed we will offer the option if resources permit. We are trying to make this a family friendly event and appeal to all riders of all ages and abilities. Bring your wife, girlfriend, that friend you always wanted to get on a mtb bike. We will try to accommodate everyone. My wife who is a newbie will be there on my...errr her new 29er =)

Defiant MTB has been promoting a Women's specific program but, it has a mixed reception as some women don't feel the need to segment rides/activities and others only much prefer to ride together. If people want it we do it.

Come on ladies. Joely tonight asked about meeting and riding with other women at this. And I know she doesn't want to hang out with me all day riding. And would be good for her to expand her social circle outside volleyball.

sock puppet
    i guess i am not good enough???

ok...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    me

do I have to be a female to qualify?

You are aware we are talking about bikes...right?

sock puppet
    oh well... it happens all the times to me...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    oh well... it happens all the times to me...

Oh.. so your the guy I keep hearing about. The guy who keeps getting ridden by his bike.

sock puppet
    Oh.. so your the guy I keep hearing about. The guy who keeps getting ridden by his bike.
    you are spending too much time with electrik. my condolences...

namagomi
    you are spending too much time with electrik. my condolences...
    Hey come on, things aren't so grim...

Evil Jr.
    It was tough to find the right date and we had originally picked June 18th but were forced to change as the OCA bumped us due to a scheduling conflict with their race timers and scheduled the Keslo DH Ocup same day.
    Just curious, is there a reason why you wouldn't want the event at the same time as the DH O-Cup? They're great fun to watch and there would already be lots of people there!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just curious, is there a reason why you wouldn't want the event at the same time as the DH O-Cup? They're great fun to watch and there would already be lots of people there!
    June 18 is Dan's Ganaraska race, so I'm glad this is July 16.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    I hope your wife doesn't read this forum. Ladies rides &ne; wife sitting.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by VVagabond
    Well, cnsidering businesses are essentially these days offering that for the husbands who get dragged to the store by their wives. It's only fair.

But reality it has more todo with sending her on her on way with others to have some fun during for part of the day. Without me around all the time during a ride. Plus she needs to develop non volleyball connections. And not having me nearby all the time will encourage that.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    June 18 is Dan's Ganaraska race, so I'm glad this is July 16.
    When you sit back and take a look at this Summer (OCA calendar, et al.), it's an embarrassment of riches really. I say "good choice" on the weekend because there are *only* THREE *other* cycling events that I would consider doing that weekend. That means that, all "fun" rides aside, I have FOUR, count 'em, FOUR organized things I could be doing within a reasonable drive. Mind blowing!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Well, cnsidering businesses are essentially these days offering that for the husbands who get dragged to the store by their wives. It's only fair.

But reality it has more todo with sending her on her on way with others to have some fun during for part of the day. Without me around all the time during a ride. Plus she needs to develop non volleyball connections. And not having me nearby all the time will encourage that.
    There's just something about how you're phrasing this that is somehow getting under my skin. Paternalistic, I think.

Most of the women who actually post on this forum are very accomplished riders who ride with men all the time. I think you aren't getting any response, because being saddled with wife-sitting doesn't sound like much fun (though I'm sure Joely is awesome).

It's a good idea to offer women's skills clinics - as the Joyride Women's weekend demonstrated, there's clearly a desire for that. Family activities would probably also be something that would make it an inclusive event, not simply a boy's weekend away (which is kind of how it sounds right now).

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl
    Most of the women who actually post on this forum are very accomplished riders who ride with men all the time. I think you aren't getting any response, because being saddled with wife-sitting doesn't sound like much fun (though I'm sure Joely is awesome).
    It's the internet nothin sounds right. Maybe I have been spendin way to much time in the segregated world of volleyball. Ugh...I hear one more discussion of setting.......

It's a good idea to offer women's skills clinics - as the Joyride Women's weekend demonstrated, there's clearly a desire for that. Family activities would probably also be something that would make it an inclusive event, not simply a boy's weekend away (which is kind of how it sounds right now).
    ^This.

Just had a idea. Maybe have spot like the Mudbinnies would where can meet, ride, hang out. Sort of give an option, ride with the boy's or ride with others.Hmm, let me do some digging.

Actually had an idea.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    It's the internet nothin sounds right.
    I had a feeling you didn't mean it the way it was coming across.

Good resources include the Sunflower Squad and the Wild Bettys.

The Lapdogs also have a strong women's rider development effort. Rose Pedals might also be a helpful resource.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I had a feeling you didn't mean it the way it was coming across.

Good resources include the Sunflower Squad and the Wild Bettys.

The Lapdogs also have a strong women's rider development effort. Rose Pedals might also be a helpful resource.

Thanks.

Only downside to these is it's all Southern/Western Ontario based. So unless Joely does not get a new contract this Friday there is nothing in Eastern Ontario. And unless she wants to play dodge the car mirror which she doesn't there is nothing mtb at all out here.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Thanks.

Only downside to these is it's all Southern/Western Ontario based. So unless Joely does not get a new contract this Friday there is nothing in Eastern Ontario. And unless she wants to play dodge the car mirror which she doesn't there is nothing mtb at all out here.
    I'm pretty sure you didn't mean as far as Ottawa when you said Eastern Ontario but if by chance you did, Dominique Laroque has all kinds of support for women in mountain biking just north of Ottawa. Clinics, regular rides, etc.

Thank you Nerdgirl for expressing everything I was thinking in a diplomatic way.

Anyway enough derailing. This sounds like a great event. Thanks to the organizers for putting it on!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I'm pretty sure you didn't mean as far as Ottawa when you said Eastern Ontario but if by chance you did, Dominique Laroque has all kinds of support for women in mountain biking just north of Ottawa. Clinics, regular rides, etc.
    Again thanks for the info. Though again it's 2 plus hours one way for stuff. Biggest hassle in Kingston and surrounding area is pretty much a wastelend unless you are a roadie or a tri geek.

namagomi
    Maybe too complicated... would be be able to ride everything after paying admission to the park? I don't know...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    There's just something about how you're phrasing this that is somehow getting under my skin. Paternalistic, I think.
    Now that I have had some solid sleep.

Sorry, but this has to be said. And I seem to have to say this to at least 5 people a year about my choices.

You know there is something humorous about this when you consider I don't fit the stereotype you are trying to fit me into. Considering for 4 years now I have been a Stay At Home Dad. Which is the direct opposite of my dad who does fit your stereotype. Trust me... he is no prize winner as a parent or a husband.

For me to fit that stereotype I would have bullied Joely to quit Queens completely. Moved back to TO and got myself a job. Yet I'm encouraging her to renew her contract. By doing this it means another 2-3 years of watching Gabi, late nights getting stuff done, riding solo as I never know my schedule day in and out, and so on. But I'm not willing to do the white parent option of hire someone so I can work and not raise my own kid.

I have this argument all the time with my mother about this. And why we barely speak. And it gets tiresome being made as some pariah because I made the decision to be different then the rest. And it's kind of funny how my in laws who are black admire me for doing this path.

Hate me all you want for how I word it. Not my problem as I can't control how other humans interpret words on a screen. Though it does keep showing me how we white's take things way to seriously.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    You know it's funny... if a woman had suggested "Husband Sitting Service" there would be no stink.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    You know there is something humorous about this when you consider I don't fit the stereotype you are trying to fit me into.
    Hate me all you want for how I word it.
    Dude, I wasn't criticising you, but rather what you wrote. I believe that you meant it to come across as funny, but it's remarkably difficult to convey that on the interweb. And you genuinely seemed concerned with why the ladies weren't responding to your posts, so I thought I'd try to provide some insight.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Dude, I wasn't criticising you, but rather what you wrote. I believe that you meant it to come across as funny, but it's remarkably difficult to convey that on the interweb. And you genuinely seemed concerned with why the ladies weren't responding to your posts, so I thought I'd try to provide some insight.
    Sorry, Nerdgirl. I may have misinterpreted as well.

Man.. winter is getting old. The fraking trails are a skating rink now.

Evil Jr.
    You know it's funny... if a woman had suggested "Husband Sitting Service" there would be no stink.
    Funny enough, this book just got a rave review in the paper ():

Problem?

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Man.. winter is getting old. The fraking trails are a skating rink now.
    Ya, last night's ride was pretty sketchy!

It's weird to me that there's no mountain bike club in Kingston - just like it was bizarre that there was nothing in Hamilton until last year. Any chance you guys could form a mountain bike arm of a local road club (much like we did with the HCC)? Seems like J&J Cycle has been pretty supportive... Anyway, in addition to the massive benefits of improving trail access and maintenance, clubs often have strong support for new riders, youth riders and female riders. It is what you make it.

And big kudos to the Defiant guys (and others) for doing something really positive for the sport and riding community with this.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Mark,

The wife gave up years ago.

Evil Jr.
    Mark,

The wife gave up years ago.
    I'm a work in progress.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I'm a work in progress.
    Same here.
    It's a two-way street, baby.

mtbr member

It's weird to me that there's no mountain bike club in Kingston - just like it was bizarre that there was nothing in Hamilton until last year. Any chance you guys could form a mountain bike arm of a local road club (much like we did with the HCC)? Seems like J&J Cycle has been pretty supportive... Anyway, in addition to the massive benefits of improving trail access and maintenance, clubs often have strong support for new riders, youth riders and female riders. It is what you make it.
    My cottage is an hour from Kingston, I would really like for there to be more riding opportunities out there, I may be building some when I get some time.
    I'm an hour from Kanata (great riding there!), and an hour from the trails near Mazzinaw Lake.
    The J&J cycle club sounds like a deal to me (unless I read it wrong) $100 a year to ride on their private stuff including a jersey, but I'd rather ride on the not quite nice stuff around the cottage than drive an hour each way to ride.

Anyways, the big question - race the Kingston marathon or attend the Kelso Festival??
    As much as I'd like to support the festival, right now my vote goes to the marathon (mostly because I wimped out on this race last year)

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

The only other group here is the NIB crew,

http://nitroinjectedbikers.webs.com/

More Ontario freeride focused.

A huge part of the problem is that so much of the population is transient. By May this place is a ghost town compared to Sept till April and since they aren't really invested in living here. No one cares about this stuff because they will be gone soon.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

mtbr member
    I spoke to Mike Brcic at Sacred Rides and he is totally game for women's specific skillz clinics. We will have a sign up function on the website so if you are interested please encourage others to sign up as spots will be limited. Hopefully we have a good take up and the women's sessions can be segmented to for more focus on advanced or intermediate skillz.

We did mixed (male and female) skillz sessions at Buckwallow last year (planning on a repeat this year) and Mike's team did a good job catering to both sides. So more confident riders should consider a non Female specific session if the content is more to their liking.

I have also asked GORBA and DMBA, who are managing the guided rides (beginner - advanced), to coordinate a women's specific ride together as well based on interest.
    Defiant MTB

mtbr member
    I met with Peter Appleton of SirBikeAlot and discussed the potential to have a joint event and it was just too complicated logistically. The issue with the Kelso DH is that Peter Appleton runs a Super D the first day and the DH the next so wouldn't have access to the trails for a majority of the day.

We are hoping in future we can work something out as it would benefit both sides.

The goal of the Festival is to represent all of Ontario and the intention is to rotate the event alternate venues in future years. If we have sufficient interest we could do Blue MT or Ottawa (camp fortune), Hardwood/Copeland, Horseshoe, Waterloo, St Cats, Buckwallow, etc...
    Defiant MTB

mtbr member

And big kudos to the Defiant guys (and others) for doing something really positive for the sport and riding community with this.
    Does Bloomfield Cycling Club represent Kingston as well?

Thanks for the Defiant MTB props but, this is the work of Mountain Bike Ontario which has included various different stakeholders. We tried a push with Defiant last year and found that it is still evolving as a "club" if that's the right word and so we needed a neutral organization to drive innovative initiatives to promote mountain biking in Ontario including the Festival and beyond. Meet us at the Festival and we'll tell you more

We are holding a planning meeting during the Bike Show and all who are interested are welcome to attend.
    Defiant MTB

Evil Jr.
    We are holding a planning meeting during the Bike Show and all who are interested are welcome to attend.
    The IMBA thingy's at 6 with the RLAC thingy to follow on Friday. When did you have in mind?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Does Bloomfield Cycling Club represent Kingston as well?

They are more Bellville and Picton area. No real activity up this far.

mtbr member
    The IMBA thingy's at 6 with the RLAC thingy to follow on Friday. When did you have in mind?
    Yeah, it's a busy weekend. Still trying to figure out a time and date. I'll let everyone know when I know.

Anyone interested in more info can email me at [email protected] if in the mean time.
    Defiant MTB

banned
    Feb 2005
    I met with Peter Appleton of SirBikeAlot and discussed the potential to have a joint event and it was just too complicated logistically. The issue with the Kelso DH is that Peter Appleton runs a Super D the first day and the DH the next so wouldn't have access to the trails for a majority of the day.

We are hoping in future we can work something out as it would benefit both sides.

The goal of the Festival is to represent all of Ontario and the intention is to rotate the event alternate venues in future years. If we have sufficient interest we could do Blue MT or Ottawa (camp fortune), Hardwood/Copeland, Horseshoe, Waterloo, St Cats, Buckwallow, etc...
    I think SirBikeAlot was the guy who built the downhill stuff at the Heights.
    Tbone is there any interest in the singletrack on the heights property, not the stuff in Copeland but the stuff to the west of the private ski club on private property. Would be nice to see some Cross Country Race stuff built/used for the Horseshoe resort area.

namagomi
    Funny enough, this book just got a rave review in the paper ():

Problem?

banned
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKF8YxWWhI4

Evil Jr.
    Yeah, it's a busy weekend. Still trying to figure out a time and date. I'll let everyone know when I know.

Anyone interested in more info can email me at [email protected] if in the mean time.
    Just another thing to consider when you're trying to schedule your meeting. According to my freshly pressed invite, the OCA AGM is at 2PM on Saturday.

Between going to meetings and manning my booth, I'm barely gonna have time to do any shopping!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Between going to meetings and manning my booth, I'm barely gonna have time to do any shopping!

Nope.. it's all part of the plan. Nerdgirl goes shopping while you try to stay awake in some meetings.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Nope.. it's all part of the plan. Nerdgirl goes shopping while you try to stay awake in some meetings.
    How well do you know Gm and Nerd girl?

mtbr member

Need your input everyone.

We are slowly building up the events schedule for the Festival and lots of great stuff going on. Bike Demos, Skills sessions, Pump track, Jump airbag, DH clinics, etc... Festival website will be launching April 15th!

Need help on the competitions. Here is what we've got so far:

Skills competition:
    - longest manual
    - longest wheelie/catwalk
    - longest nose wheelie
    - 10 min track stand with fewest moves/readjustments
    - highest bunny hop

Wrenching contest: pro & am categories.

Amateur:
    be typical trail side repairs. Say change a tire, repair a chain, convert to
    make shift single speed (for broken derailleur).

Pro:
    include different things like installation of a drive train, bleed brakes,
    fork/shock set-up, etc. Wheel build???

CCM/Supercycle toss

Hill climb Time Trial (maybe have it as a pursuit, starting one
    person then waiting an starting another)
    - Different bike categories. XC, DH, SS, 29er

Bike Limbo

Bike Bling Competition:
    Categories: Vintage, XC, SS/29er, DH, Trail, Best in show

Costumed/themed ride
    - Best Costume/theme

Coolest trick into the jump bag

Prizes for 1st 2nd and 3rd....Any thoughts appreciated.
    Defiant MTB

namagomi
    Wheel building as a spectator sport? Hah!

I don't know about wrenching competitions, but maybe a few people would be interested in seeing a bicycle worked on and how easy it can actually be...

I can definitely see fastest tire change as something that might be interesting.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Best crash award.

Slick Rick
    Best crash award.
    There is a best crash award, but for my contest hosted by trailburn.ca (that will be at the festival)
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    There is some stuff in progress now in Kingston. Can't say what exactly.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanb
    There is a best crash award, but for my contest hosted by trailburn.ca (that will be at the festival)
    Trailburn your site?

Slick Rick
    Trailburn your site?
    Yes sir. Come play.
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback on the comps. Keep it coming.

As StefanB mentioned TRAILBURN.ca is hosting the Festival Vids and photography contests. Trying to keep it simple so here are our categories:

Separate Photo and Video competitions:
    best DH
    best XC
    best DJ
    best crash any discipline

Prizes for 1st place and runner ups announced at the Festival.

Also will have a post competition for best pic and video edit of the festival with prizes.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
    Defiant MTB

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Well.. so much for planning Joely coming out. She got a call from Winnipeg today. And will be helping coach her old national team.

Now Plan B.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm there

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Well.. so much for planning Joely coming out. She got a call from Winnipeg today. And will be helping coach her old national team.

Now Plan B.
    Wait. So are you guys moving to the Peg? Apparently there's some pretty good riding out there these days - even a little downhill (!). The IMBA Trail Care crew is originally from there, so we heard tales.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Wait. So are you guys moving to the Peg? Apparently there's some pretty good riding out there these days - even a little downhill (!). The IMBA Trail Care crew is originally from there, so we heard tales.
    Moving no. This is a July to end of August position. And it's pretty special for Joely as she comes full circle with this. 20 years ago she was living in Winterpeg as a player with the National Team program. Now she goes back as a coach.

And besides I've spent time in Wainwright. As she knows.. to get me to say yes to the Peg would require serious coin to be involved. Or at the least a new Banshee Paradox specced with my parts choices.

And I just have been informed by the wife she will be taking her bike.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Moving no. This is a July to end of August position. And it's pretty special for Joely as she comes full circle with this. 20 years ago she was living in Winterpeg as a player with the National Team program. Now she goes back as a coach.

And besides I've spent time in Wainwright. As she knows.. to get me to say yes to the Peg would require serious coin to be involved. Or at the least a new Banshee Paradox specced with my parts choices.

And I just have been informed by the wife she will be taking her bike.
    Well, congratulations to her! I actually have a soft spot in my heart for Winnipeg. It's a beautiful city. And the cold? It's a DRY cold!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Well, congratulations to her! I actually have a soft spot in my heart for Winnipeg. It's a beautiful city. And the cold? It's a DRY cold!
    The funny thing is back in 93 and 94 Joely and I where something like an 8 hour drive away from each other. Though I can say I had way more fun in 94 then she did.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Hill climb Time Trial (maybe have it as a pursuit, starting one
    person then waiting an starting another)
    - Different bike categories. XC, DH, SS, 29er
    You throw in a Clyde / Super Clyde class there and I'm down for that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone
    You throw in a Clyde / Super Clyde class there and I'm down for that

I LIKE IT! Done! Lets see who shows up.

Festival Planning Meeting at Joyride this Sat. if anyone wants to join.
    11am meet in the sitting area with the picnic tables...

MSG me if you have any questions:
    [email protected]
    Defiant MTB

I Strava Hamburgers
    I LIKE IT! Done! Lets see who shows up.
    I'm so there then. I can't make it saturday, but I'll email you. I'm interested in helping organize this specific event.

Slick Rick
    Wow folks this is a thread for festival discussion; no offense but there is a PM system for that kind of stuff.
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Wow folks this is a thread for festival discussion; no offense but there is a PM system for that kind of stuff.
    Meh. A bump (for any reason) keeps the thread near the top, which is a good thing. Also, it's stuff like this that makes the Eastern Canada forum have a positive, friendly atmosphere, which frankly, was lacking through January and February.

And really? "No offense"? What are you, 12? No offense.

Slick Rick
    Meh. A bump (for any reason) keeps the thread near the top, which is a good thing. Also, it's stuff like this that makes the Eastern Canada forum have a positive, friendly atmosphere, which frankly, was lacking through January and February.

And really? "No offense"? What are you, 12? No offense.
    I'd say to keep on topic, especially since the thread has a specific goal. If you'd like to discuss this further, come find me at the festival.

I'd continue this dialogue, but no offense, I'd rather not stoop to your level.
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I'd continue this dialogue, but no offense, I'd rather not stoop to your level.
    Well, golly, here I thought a nice festival like this was about building a strong mountain bike community, with people who care about each other. Huh.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Well, golly, here I thought a nice festival like this was about building a strong mountain bike community, with people who care about each other. Huh.
    It's election time. No one is being nice.

humber river advocate
    Thanks for the feedback on the comps. Keep it coming.

As StefanB mentioned TRAILBURN.ca is hosting the Festival Vids and photography contests. Trying to keep it simple so here are our categories:

Separate Photo and Video competitions:
    best DH
    best XC
    best DJ
    best crash any discipline

Prizes for 1st place and runner ups announced at the Festival.

Also will have a post competition for best pic and video edit of the festival with prizes.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
    how about a flora/fauna category? perhaps two divisions also... ontario and rest of the world for all the pics.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Pre Register and save!

Visit mtbonfestival.com now to pre register for the Trailblazing Festival and save the Kelso Conservation park admission (included with pre-registration)!

Also for a limited time only, receive a FREE 75 mins Skills Sessions with Sacred Rides pro guides!!! First 100 people to sign up for Sacred Rides Skills Sessions will get have their $15 fees waived! Limited time offer expiring June 15th!

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Some people think they ARE the MTB community. Ignorance is a bliss...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Some people think they ARE the MTB community. Ignorance is a bliss...
    Didn't you get the memo?

I am the supreme Evil Overlord.

mtbr member
    So disappointing news. The Jump Air Bag is an absolute nightmare to insure and the only quote we have had was out of this worldy. It seems the Canadian Insurance industry is taking an above and beyond approach to these attractions even though they have a strong track record abroad.

On the flip side we will still have a pump track, skills park, lifts, demos, beer tent,skills clinics/sessions, guided rides, camping, movie night, and more!!!

Our Festival will have over 40 tents of vendors, manufacturers and attractions. And did I mention the beer tent =)

Looking for volunteers and voluteer event leaders. Please message me if interested.

Thanks!
    Defiant MTB

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    looks like a great weekend!

namagomi
    Probably the bag was denied by the insurance co after they found out certain clipless shoe zealots were going to try and ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Probably the bag was denied by the insurance co after they found out certain clipless shoe zealots were going to try and ride it.
    LOL that would have been a long line with me at the front.

Check out the new Festival poster coming soon to a bike shop near you and a over view of the Festival from one of our PR Blurbs. Also 4 page Festival Guide in next Issue of GET OUT THERE magazine (we even made the cover!)

You are invited to join us at the inaugural Mountain Bike Ontario Festival: Trailblazing. The Festival will take place on Saturday July 16th, 2011.The goal of Trailblazing is to promote the sport of mountain biking in Ontario and raise awareness of Ontario’s diverse network of trail systems.
    We have designed this event to appeal to all mountain biking disciplines, all skill levels and to be family friendly.
    - We are running the Kelso chairlifts
    - The Silent Norco Down Hill Team are offering DH skills clinics
    - Sacred Rides Skills sessions by pro instructors for beginner to advanced riders
    - Joyride 150 Skillz Park for all levels, including mini skillz area for kids
    - IMBA designed the pump track
    - GORBA Guided rides for all levels, Wild Bettys women's specific and kids
    - Norco, Trek, KHS, Ellsworth, Niner, Devinci, Opus, Intense, Ellsworth, Cannondale, GT, Specialized and Rocky Mountain are providing bike demos.
    - Contour GPS, Giant, Crank Brothers, POC and Lapierre are providing product tents
    - Free tune ups and bike fitting from GEARS
    - Competitions for you to join in with great prizes
    - $10k worth of prizes and swag!!!
    - Creemore Springs Beer Garden for post ride refreshment =)
    - Camping is available all weeekend and we are hosting a MTB movie night Saturday and 60km IMBA Epic ride the next day (Sunday July 17th).

Pre register now and save the $6.25 Kelso Conservation park admission!!!
    PLUS Special promo FREE 75 mins Skills Sessions with Sacred Rides pro guides!!! First 100 people to sign up for Sacred Rides Skills Sessions will get have their $15 Session fees waived!
    *** Limit of one Skills Session per a guest. Offer expiring June 15th!
    SEE YOU THERE!!!!
    Visit www.mtbonfestival.com to find out all the info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Page - Mountain Bike Ontario Festival-trailblazing-festival_poster_final.jpg  

Defiant MTB

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Wow - $15 including park entrance fee? Great deal!!!
    Nice work on all the organising.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    This is looking like a blast. Contemplating volunteering to help out, but no idea what my schedule will be like.

Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quick question. A lot of bike manufacturers there. Will we be able to buy frames and components like the bike show? Will there be deals to be had?

Building a bike for a friend and always on the look out for components for mine, and perhaps will put things on hold if I can pick up a couple frames there from Opus or Devinci?

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenAnimator View Post
    Quick question. A lot of bike manufacturers there. Will we be able to buy frames and components like the bike show? Will there be deals to be had?

Building a bike for a friend and always on the look out for components for mine, and perhaps will put things on hold if I can pick up a couple frames there from Opus or Devinci?

Cheers,
    So far we have 4 bike shops listed and more who are thinking about it. We don't want to make this a flea market ala Bike show. But, we have suggested that they have some blow out deals to make things interesting. Its a first year event so I'm sure they have no idea what will sell and how much to bring.

I would love this to be the anti bike show as its about touching, feeling and riding product but, everyone loves a good sale. If people want it we will try and deliver it...

Thai
    Defiant MTB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Wow - $15 including park entrance fee? Great deal!!!
    Nice work on all the organising.
    Thanks! We think its great value.

• We are running the lifts from 10:30am - 4:30pm
    • Building a Skillz Park with Joyride 150
    • Building a Pump track with IMBA
    • Free DH clinics
    • Free Guided rides
    • Demos by over 9 major manufacturers
    • Competitions which are FREE to enter with big prizes.
    • Beer tent and tons of prizes/swag

Please note that $15 includes park fees ($6.25 for adults) only if you Pre Register. Anyone attending day of will be charged separately at the Kelso Gate.

Thanks!

Thai
    Defiant MTB

mtbr member
    We will be opening up registration for our FREE DH Clinics some time later today so please sign up as spots are limited and will fill up quickly.

http://www.mtbonfestival.com/index.p..._rides_clinics

Also please like our post on Pink Bike!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Mountai...ival-2011.html
    Defiant MTB

mtbr member

Showers ??

For those camping out , are there any shower facilities ?
    Any discounted hotels by mention of the Festival ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post

Hi there,

Yes, there are shower facilities at Kelso. Here is a link to their camping page that shows location of showers.

http://www.conservationhalton.on.ca/...?subCatID=1258

We have a member of our team working on Hotels. Unfortunately this has not been a priority and we only have a super small group of dedicated volunteers on the planning committee.

I will try to update the Hotel discounts some time next week and will message you to let you know.

Thanks for your patience. If you have any additional questions regarding the Festival pls message us at [email protected]

Thai
    Defiant MTB

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Registrations for FREE Downhill clinics is now open. Spots are limited so please sign up asap.

The 60km Epic ride on Sunday is also now open for registration. Should be a beautiful snake of riders through the trees.

http://www.mtbonfestival.com/index.php/welcome

In addition to showing 2 movies there has been word of a crazy night ride being organized on Saturday night if you didn't get enough during the day...

Hope to see everyone in 2 wks...
    Defiant MTB

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Defiant MTB - nothing complicated just ride....

mtbr member
    Anyone here attending the Festival? Only a week to go!
    Defiant MTB

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone74 View Post
    Anyone here attending the Festival? Only a week to go!
    Yep, be there with 3 or 4 other chaps, with bells on!
    Last edited by BrokenAnimator; 07-05-2011 at 05:18 AM.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Can't this year. Original plan was to go but her national team stuff has become a nightmare for scheduling. Had to give up work shifts to help so gotta work instead.

Stupid PRC government red tape.

mtbr member
    Im registered

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    The SHCC will be there.
    Looking forward to this landmark event.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    This may sound like a dumb question but are bikes available for the DH clinic ?
    Is it a chance to expose ones self to DH or just a clinic for those already into it
    ....IE - own their own rigs , etc ??

Ho Hum, another SS rider
    There are three decent Hotels in the area. My choice would be the Mohawk Inn which is lunch central after group rides in Hilton (Great cheap buffet). However they have limited space available. Mention the festival and you'll get their best rate.

The other decent choice is the Holiday Inn Express in Milton. They have offered a discounted rate of $104/nt and have plenty of space as of this posting.

Best Western is OK but don't seem keen on discounts unless the festival pre-books a whole lot of rooms. Not going to happen.

So some good news on Hotels. Either way, I hope you'll join us!

Cheers,
    Peter

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    This may sound like a dumb question but are bikes available for the DH clinic ?
    Is it a chance to expose ones self to DH or just a clinic for those already into it
    ....IE - own their own rigs , etc ??
    I asked them and their response was:

"The requirements are:
    A bicycle that is in good working order. (DH bike not mandatory but would be best)
    A certified bicycle helmet is required but a full face helmet, gloves, and knee/elbow pads are recommended"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Will be there with bells on! It was going to be chaps but cant get comfy for more than an hour.

KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

mtbr member

4 days to go!!! Festival FEVER!!!

TOP TEN Reasons to attend the Mountain Bike Ontario:Trailblazing Festival Saturday July 16th 2011!!!

1) Climbing OPTIONAL!!! Blue Mountain is sponsoring the Kelso's Sidewinder chairlift from 10:30 am until 4:30 pm. Bomb down the hills and relax on the way up or save your energy for our Hill Climb competition =)

2) Learn to ride better, safer and FASTER! Sacred Rides Skills Sessions and Silent Norco Downhill Clinics will improve your skills and the Joyride 150 Skillz Park and IMBA Pumptrack will test your skills.

3) Bike gear galore! We will have some of your favorite bike shops offering bikes and gear for sale including: GEARS Bicycle Shop, Silent Sports, Bike Zone and Bike Sports. We will also have some of the latest mountain bikes and gear available for demo and on exhibition from Cannondale, Crank Brothers, Continental, Devinci, Fi'zik, Giant, GT, Intense, LaPierre, Norco, Opus, POC, Rocky Mountain, Scott, Specialized, Trek and more!

4) Never ride alone again! Meet new riding buddies, ride and then share adventures over a cold beverage at the Creemore Springs Beer Garden. We have guided rides for all levels or riders, kids and women specific rides.

5) FREE STUFF! Grand Prize draws including: Sacred Rides B.C. Singletrack trip worth $1895, Norco 125 DJ bike worth $1100 and a Contour GPS video Camera worth $500. We will have free to enter competitions with great prizes, SWAG Bag for all our guests and sampling from COBS Bread, Diesel House Coffee Roasters, Red Bull, GP8 Water, POP Chips and CLif Bar. All in, we are giving you over $10k in prizes, swag and samples!!!

6) BBQ and cold bevy's! COBS Bread will be working the grill and did we mention the Creemore Springs Beer gardens?

7) Dial in your ride! GEARS Bicycle Shop will be offering FREE bike tweaking (no major work please) and bike fitting so you'll have no more excuses!

8) Sleep over! The fun doesn't have to end. With available group camping, MTB Movie night with 3 movies on the bill including Red Bull Rampage and an advanced level Night Ride (limited spots) for those who can't get enough. Wake up grab a coffee and join the IMBA Epic Ride the next day!

9) Beach time! What better way to cool down from a ride than a refreshing dip in Kelso's sandy beach. Bring a towel!

10) Support mountain biking in Ontario and be an ambassador of this great sport! Mountain Bike Ontario is a non profit organization with the goal of promoting the sport to all riders of all ages and improve accessibility to Ontario's diverse trail systems.

Pre register now and $ave the Kelso Conservation Park admission!
    Visit www.mtbonfestival.com to find out more
    Defiant MTB

mtbr member

Photography Contest

Calling all you camera toting mtbers!

With all of the action and great sights during our rides, capturing these special moments on film is part of mountain biking culture.

We have a great photography contest planned that will encourage everyone to take pictures of the weekend's events.

Great prizes for each category, bragging rights and the admiration of shutter bugs everywhere.

http://www.mtbonfestival.com/index.p...graphy_contest
    Defiant MTB

mtbr member

Good job! Competitions - Free for guests to register! (spots will be limited)

Check it out!

We have organized several great competitions to help get everyone involved whether it be a participating or cheering. Fantastic prizes from our sponsors will be awarded to 1st (+$150 prize value), 2nd (+$75 prize value) and 3rd place ($50 prize value) finishers.

1) Capture the Flag Hill Climb - Depending upon number of registerants we will have several heats of 4-10 riders who will charge up the hill. First one to grab the Festival Tshirt on the pole at the top of the hill moves on to the Finals!

2) Wrenching contest - Timed event: change 2 tires and convert to geared to single speed

3) Bike Bling - submit your custom blinged out mountain bike during a 1hr time slot and uber knowledgeable bike bling judges will review and award Prizes for overall best of show bikes.

4) Bike Skills - Longest manual and nose wheelie, highest bunny hop, and best Personal Special Trick

5) No touch derby - There can only be one! Start with multiple riders in an enclosed play area who have ride and avoid touching each other and stay on their bikes (no dabs) , play area shrinks every 2 minutes. Last 3 riders to survive place.

Competitions are Free to register day of but spots will be limited based on interest level and awarded on a first come first serve basis. Competitions will start at 1 pm. Registration will take place at the Volunteer Tent and will close 30 mins before start of competition.

Contact us at [email protected] for more information
    Last edited by tbone74; 07-12-2011 at 08:53 PM.
    Defiant MTB

mtbr member
    Better late then never.

Mountain Bike Ontario Festival
    Our friends at Holiday Inn Express Milton are offering our Festival Guests a discount. Rooms available for July 15-17 / 2011. $105+Tax. Regular rate would be $130 to $145 for that period. Hot Continental Breakfast will be provided next morning for in-house guests. All the guest must call mentioning Mountain Bike Trailblazing Festival to secure their room and rate.

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/e...hp/hoteldetail

GOING TO BE AN AWESOME WEEKEND!!!
    Defiant MTB

mtbr member
    So pretty quiet around these parts with only 2 days to go....

We are bringing this to the Festival...

Does this get anyone excited?

Sneak pics of Pump Track tomorrow
    Defiant MTB

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Don't forget the awesome Women's ride/clinic led by Wildbetty's. This is a great chance to introduce your wives, girlfriends, daughters or mothers to mountain biking. There will be 2 ride times- 11:30 and 2:30 so no excuse on not being able to make one.

It's going to be a great weekend.

mtbr member
    Last day for Pre Registration for the Fest!

Hope to see you there. Pump track is now open and seeking test pilots. We will be tweaking through out the day and night so please come and let us know what you think.

Come out and support Ontario's mountain bike community!

www.mtbonfestival.com
    Defiant MTB

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone74 View Post
    Last day for Pre Registration for the Fest!

Hope to see you there. Pump track is now open and seeking test pilots. We will be tweaking through out the day and night so please come and let us know what you think.

Come out and support Ontario's mountain bike community!

www.mtbonfestival.com
    I hear the Fest is the only chance to ride the pump track! Looks sweet.

You've got fantastic weather - best of luck for an incredible weekend! The Hamilton Cycling Club tent is on its way...

Single speed

Camping and jumping into water?

Hey All,

I registered but am wondering how we get into the park and is there an added cost for the camping?
    Do we have to sign in with the Park for camping, including preregister for a site?

So no airbag jumping......but what if some one smuggled in a small kicker and set it up by the lake?
    Like this=
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rAkK62uN-tY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

See ya'll there.
    J
    Last edited by McGyver29er; 07-15-2011 at 09:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I prepaid and have no printer so I hope they have a record of it. I ran out of ink

mtbr member
    Had a great time at this event! Hope to see it run again next year!

Here are some photos of the event
    Come visit Trail Swag, an outdoors blog for Ontario!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Great day! Thanks for all those that planned it!

Also, the chicken burgers were really really good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Was a fun day. It can only get bigger and better each year. Yes the burgers and chicken were good. So were the bars they were giving out. Great weather but boy it was hot hot hot. Well done everybody involved.

Perpetual Hack
    Don't forget a post ride frosty one from Creemore Springs. And yes the burgers were good. Didn't have the chicken - looks like I lost out...

Had a blast today, but oh man am I roasted from the sun.
    The lift needs a turbo-charger and canopies for the chairs.

Why was Snakes and Ladders closed? That is one piece of trail I was hoping to run laps on.

As well I could not find the POC booth, I assume they were tucked away in another booth, or I'm just blind.

Great Event - many thanks to all involved. Hear's to next year!!

michael

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Don't forget a post ride frosty one from Creemore Springs. And yes the burgers were good. Didn't have the chicken - looks like I lost out...

Had a blast today, but oh man am I roasted from the sun.
    The lift needs a turbo-charger and canopies for the chairs.

Why was Snakes and Ladders closed? That is one piece of trail I was hoping to run laps on.

As well I could not find the POC booth, I assume they were tucked away in another booth, or I'm just blind.

Great Event - many thanks to all involved. Hear's to next year!!

michael
    I believe snakes and ladders was closed because that is where they had done the trail work on friday. Because it was so dry the section was too loose until we get some rain to firm it up. Plus they didn't get the work completely done on Friday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Aw man, saw this going on as I was headed to Hilton Falls... Is it going on next year?

mtbr member
    Kaikara is correct, it was so dry in there that the berms haven't solidified yet. The top portion could still be moved with your foot. The IMBA crew (and volunteers) did a great job in such a short time. Instead of a really quick drop near the end, they have done a "modular" improvement by winding you back and forth across the face of the hill. Should be great fun!
    Come visit Trail Swag, an outdoors blog for Ontario!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    i didn't even know there was an event going on when i got there. parked on the steeles parking lot and worked my way to the bottom of the hill. someone took a few shots of me struggling to get to the top of the hill. lol. don't who or where those pics will be. would love to see them. guy was wearing a black shirt with orange writing on it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Anyone know who was doing the pics? I think I may look fantastic in one or two and may want a copy ;-)
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Joyride jump in use
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Page - Mountain Bike Ontario Festival-joyride-table-action-2.jpg  

Slick Rick
    That's Trailburn rider Ken - Nice!
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

mtbr member
    Hello all,

The Trailblazing Festival Planning Committee is looking for a few good men and women to volunteer their valuable and precious time to help promote and grow the sport of mountain biking in Ontario.

We had a great start last year and hope it will be bigger and better next year. Please message me if you are interested in helping us plan this fun event. I promise we are a great group to work with, good sense of humour is essential =)

or email us at [email protected]
    Defiant MTB

Members who have read this thread: 0