Official P2A 2013 Paris 2 Ancaster thread- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Official P2A 2013 Paris 2 Ancaster thread

While it's a bit early for a P2A thread, I just noticed that you have to register by January 15th to avoid a rather abrupt price increase.

Also, the course has been lengthened to 70 km this year. That is all.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Lemmy Rules!
    I'm in! Signed up in the big pimpin' VIP wave. I understand that we are provided with cocaine and hookers at the finish.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I was looking forward to trying it this year. But i hate being rushed

mtbr member
    It's never too early to talk about the BEST RACE EVER*

Signed up for the elite wave. Been dropping my result by like 60 places in the three years I've done it. That means Garrigan should watch his back this year! Well probably not, but hoping for another improved result.

Curious as what the extra 10 km will be, I hope it's not tilled farmers field straight into the wind.

And as a teaser, I know there is a significant effort currently being put into a web series documenting how various people prepare for the P2A. Stayed tuned.....

* That maybe be subjective, but I really enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    While it's a bit early for a P2A thread, I just noticed that you have to register by January 15th to avoid a rather abrupt price increase.

Also, the course has been lengthened to 70 km this year. That is all.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Link: Paris To Ancaster Bicycle Race

I kept clicking on the "click here" for confirmed registrations, but my clicking was to no avail. Oh well.

I am looking forward to this race - first time turning my pedals in anger since 2011 Provincials. And I've so much anger...

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    Link: Paris To Ancaster Bicycle Race

I kept clicking on the "click here" for confirmed registrations, but my clicking was to no avail. Oh well.

I am looking forward to this race - first time turning my pedals in anger since 2011 Provincials. And I've so much anger...
    "you must spread some more rep around before giving it to Smarty again"
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Never too early for a P2A thread.
    It will be here before we know it.

"Anticipation is the Joy" a famous Catholic Theologian from the 1200s<O</O
    Last edited by pikester; 01-09-2013 at 12:45 PM.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    "you must spread some more rep around before giving it to Smarty again"
    I gave him some +rep for you.

No. Just No.
    I will take this opportunity to remind you that I have a commitment from you in writing on this forum to register for 2013 under your internet moniker.

OK, maybe it wasn't a firm commitment, but still...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just signed up!! Time to start training??

I Strava Hamburgers
    Begun the P2A Thread Has....

mtbr Decade+
    My as well get Circlip to make this the "Official P2A 2113 Paris 2 Ancaster thread".

Earliest start ever. In efforts to get more competitive the switch to Red Baron 60 starts, effective immediately. I'm also gonna go to the garage and admire how fast my bike looks! I'm gonna take this seriously.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    I gave him some +rep for you.
    Apparently I have given TheDumbOpinion some rep recently and can't pay it forward. Can someone get him for me and I'll pass it on?
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Apparently I have given TheDumbOpinion some rep recently and can't pay it forward. Can someone get him for me and I'll pass it on?
    I gave it to the thedumbopinion....I await my reward good sir.
    Straight outta Rossland

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    I gave it to the thedumbopinion....I await my reward good sir.
    fvck! Why can't I give anyone in this forum rep any more???????
    Strava made me do it....

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    My as well get Circlip to make this the "Official P2A 2113 Paris 2 Ancaster thread".
    Done. Trusting the OP doesn't mind the slight title change.

sock puppet
    fvck! Why can't I give anyone in this forum rep any more???????
    because you must rep 100 people before you can rep the same person again.

start repping.

by the way - signed up.
    Signature

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    The joke is on me. I had your suggested title above copied verbatim, before a realized it said 2113 instead of 2013. Now fixed. Again.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

You can race better in anger then you can do in fear.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    because you must rep 100 people before you can rep the same person again.

start repping.
    I don't even know 100 people!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Done. Trusting the OP doesn't mind the slight title change.
    Here I was, expecting everyone would quietly sign up and save $15, and not discuss this topic further until the week before the race.

And, unfortunately, to sign up for the first start wave as "ghettocruiser" would cost me an extra $140.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    no need to know them - i rep people who post good posts... fun and humorous, informational, great pics etc etc....

i don't + rep people who troll, antagonize each other, piss each other etc etc...

but that is a whole another topic which i am afraid Enduramil will now start a new thread about...
    Signature

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    no need to know them - i rep people who post good posts... fun and humorous, informational, great pics etc etc....

i don't + rep people who troll, antagonize each other, piss each other etc etc...

but that is a whole another topic which i am afraid Enduramil will now start a new thread about...
    I hear ya, but I only frequent Eastern Canada, and I'd be surprised if more than 100 people post regularly.

All my faucets is Moen.
    i rep people who post good posts... fun and humorous, informational, great pics etc etc....
    I think you're throwing your rep around to liberally. Your a rep whore.

BTW, your new avatar freaks me out.

mtbr member
    This race seems to be on my radar every second year. I guess it takes more than a year to forget how much it sucks and by the next year I have forgotten and then I register.

Side note: I think that souvenir jersey just made me puke in my mouth a little bit.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    I hear ya, but I only frequent Eastern Canada, and I'd be surprised if more than 100 people post regularly.
    that is so true...

feel free to visit Off-Camber forum for some light fun and interesting exchanges of opinions...

it is a good group of people...
    Signature

Evil Jr.

3 down and 97 to go.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    I think you're throwing your rep around to liberally. Your a rep whore.

BTW, your new avatar freaks me out.
    thank you sir, i will accept your uncanny compliment with pleasure...

i beg to disagree - about throwing my rep around too liberally. i rep good people, which in your case i may have made a wrong decision, based on your last post.

kidding aside - most of EC posters - the good people - must have received my small token of appreciation for their contribution to this forum, by way of positive rep. i intend to keep it that way - despite your dismissing comments.

Signature

mtbr member
    ok, I signed up!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Do the 8 olives in my head count as 8 people?

Hmmm,..... My Jedi senses make me think you might be rolling.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    Side note: I think that souvenir jersey just made me puke in my mouth a little bit.
    Tough decision on whether to spit or swallow. Before embarking on either course of action, I recommend to write out a list of pros and cons, ask a few friends, and maybe post up a "Spit or swallow?" poll in the Off Camber subforum as suggested by Oggie. The regulars in OC will love that one.

mtbr member
    I think I will just full-on puke. My reputation of being pretty good at that seems to precede me.

mtbr member
    Being the fair weather rider at that time of year, I will wait until closer to the race, monitor the spring weather, and possibly pay extra to race. Not one of my favourites, but a good one to gauge the spring time race fitness...
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    This thread has convinced me to sign up, even though I know I will suck big time with my old school hard tail mtb, will be out of shape and bonk at the 2/3 point of the race and be happy to watch people pass me.
    Where we going for beers after the race????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by langford View Post
    This thread has convinced me to sign up, even though I know I will suck big time with my old school hard tail mtb, will be out of shape and bonk at the 2/3 point of the race and be happy to watch people pass me.
    Where we going for beers after the race????
    Domestique was serving them up in the gym after the race
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Great Signed up too!
    Why I have no idea!
    The worst 3 hours of my life are spent during this race and now I get to go another 10km!!
    How am I going to know if i did better than prevous reaces when the distance changed?

Stupid P2A

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My daughter told me I had to sign up this year after agonizing last year over it.
    So kind of lame but I'm in the 40k. First race in 20 years, first real, non club race in 30.
    Time to get back on the diet and some sort of training.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by minifig-phil View Post
    How am I going to know if i did better than prevous reaces when the distance changed?
    Average speed?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister View Post
    Being the fair weather rider at that time of year, I will wait until closer to the race, monitor the spring weather, and possibly pay extra to race. Not one of my favourites, but a good one to gauge the spring time race fitness...
    I don't need the Paris to Ancaster and its entry fees to tell me I am out of shape.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    I don't need the Paris to Ancaster and its entry fees to tell me I am out of shape.
    And I don't need to Doctor to tell me I shouldn't eat a plate of bacon with a side of bacon, but when they do, I listen a little harder
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Probably gonna be warmer tomorrow than on race day.

Have you seen the P2A facebook page - people in shorts and short sleeves in their cover photo!

bi-winning
    And I don't need to Doctor to tell me I shouldn't eat a plate of bacon with a side of bacon, but when they do, I listen a little harder
    Good point.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pikester View Post
    Have you seen the P2A facebook page - people in shorts and short sleeves in their cover photo!
    There was one year it was 20 degrees and sunny.

Thought this was a good thing until I burned through all my water and cramped on the second-last climb.

Cool weather is just fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Registered!

mtbr member
    Here is a little teaser of a web series being made by my good friend and long time riding partner/combatant Jay about P2A. I was involved with some of the initial shooting and have seen some sneak peaks of later stuff. Best I can say, it's going to be RAD!!!!!

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/57566881" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/57566881">HTWPA - Teaser</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/htwpa">HTWPA</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

To keep up to date, if you subscribe to Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/pages/How-t...88957077914029
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Love reading the comments!
    My days of coke berries and hookers are long over.
    It makes me laugh to read about hating the race conditions. Every year is different. If you have done it once you know you will be wet, muddy, exhausted, and happy, if you are lucky you are not too cold, The first part of the Martin St hill is the worst. I am a MTB'r, not cyclecross, or road. I am left behind smiling knowing once my rectus femoris (quad) starts to quiver it is time to say "shut up legs" and get into a rhythm. I was disappointed at the crowd last year. The year before was much larger.
    I am in for the 70.. My only hope is the wind cooperates there is nothing worse than a headwind.
    That said.. at 236.. (November/December are off season)I have a lot of work to do. Hitting Brantford and back hopefully tomorrow aft.
    Nothing special just rail trail, building cardio. I'm glad the hunting ended yesterday too, it was spoiling my Headwaters runs.
    So to all I wish you a great race and hope we have a tailwind.
    Oh and by the time I reach the last mud slide at the end of Powerline Rd.. I look forward to the soup.
    Ill be the guy running down the middle with the smile on his face. Trying to judge where that concrete slab is lol.
    night riding - it's an adiction

I Strava Hamburgers
    that said.. At 236..
    clyde 4 lyfe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    clyde 4 lyfe
    hmmm...has the "clydesdale" category always been 220 lbs?

I coulda sworn it was 200 before.

If that's the case, it looks like it will be 70 KM open singlespeed for me...Unless I gain 10 pounds before race day (which isn't out of the question).

Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Only found out about this race two days ago so missed out on the early registration. Was going to sign up for the short version but then I watched a bunch of YouTube clips and got psyched for the full length one, especially since it is the 20th anniversary. Still debating; just getting back into mountain biking (and activity of any kind ;-) but did the CN Tower Climb last year and have lost 45lbs. Might have to go all in and suffer.

Edit: realise the P2A can't be compared with CN climb

I Strava Hamburgers
    Honestly not sure. As far as I've known its been 220+...

All I know is that I could lose a small child in weight and still Clyde. This is my last year in the cat though, next year, even if I'm Clyde, I'll be doing it SS

Of course this will be after swearing up and down that this is my final P2A....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bishskate View Post
    Edit: realise the P2A can't be compared with CN climb
    True.

But when I was collapsed on the glass floor, legs burning, gasping for air, and tasting blood, I noticed that there were some... uncanny similarities.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    On second thought (after 3 hours in the Don today) perhaps I will just cheer people on instead.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by bishskate View Post
    On second thought (after 3 hours in the Don today) perhaps I will just cheer people on instead.
    Don't let that discourage you. The Don is technical and hilly. The P2A is reasonably flat apart from the final climb and mostly wide open roads and rail trails. It's apples and oranges. Riding hard for 3 hours at the P2A would get you most of the way to the finish. And you've got the better part of 3 months between now and then to get stronger.
    Strava made me do it....

I dd what you see there.
    I'm thinking the 40K sounds like a good choice for me.

Now what about licenses etc?
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    i think i will do this race this year. the extra 10km has some people fretting. does anyone know what type of riding the extra 10k is? if it's all uphill my 260 pounds will slow me down

a quick link to my video from last year. hope to do one this year that maybe will be dry and warm out

Paris to Ancaster 2012 Race - YouTube

mtbr member
    I haven't done this in a few years, but I am really looking forward to it this year. FINALLY recovered from my knee issues and surgeries over the past few years.

I am also curious about what will be in that extra 10K. On the plus side I have been shedding weight as I have started to prep for this from 289 on Jan 2 to 275 yesterday. I'd be thrilled if I was in the 250-255 range on April 14, and I'm sure my legs would thank me on that final hill too!

Tim Farrar
    Apr 2007
    Noticed a few comments re the additional 10 km. 2km are a graveled tractor path in an orchard, 2km are gravel road, 1km is rail trail, 3km are dirt farm lanes, 1km of pavement, 1km of ?. Other new sectors that do not affect distance are also included. The long muddy lane that began with a dismount to slide under/around a fallen tree has been replaced with an all weather farm lane as well. No change to the overall feel of the race though.

mtbr member
    Jonathan Page racing this years P2A... awesome. Safe to say we all just dropped a placing

Jonathan Page starts Paris to Ancaster in Ontario | Canadian Cycling Magazine

mtbr member
    Straight outta Rossland

sock puppet
    dude, you are a fukking movie star... will they keep you on the cast for episode 2 and 3?

I like your body language and facial expressions. awesome!!!
    Signature

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    Jonathan Page racing this years P2A... awesome. Safe to say we all just dropped a placing

Jonathan Page starts Paris to Ancaster in Ontario | Canadian Cycling Magazine
    As long as his chain stays out of his spokes and he doesn't flat... often.

mtbr member
    You'll have to stayed tuned.......maybe I'll make it up Sydenham next time.

dude, you are a fukking movie star... will they keep you on the cast for episode 2 and 3?

I like your body language and facial expressions. awesome!!!
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The first picture gives the impression that riding Paris-Ancaster either causes hair loss or is required to ride.

Edited after watching the movie:
    It's nicely done but a lightweight piece of fluff.
    Getting ready for my first Paris-Ancaster, I was hoping for something at least half useful. I wish training for the race involved rides on a beautiful summer day. Where's the cold rides in the dark, trying to get some miles in?
    Last edited by Slash5; 02-13-2013 at 12:04 PM.

mtbr member
    The back ground thought was to get people excited and cater to a wide demographic (like those that participate in Paris to Ancaster). It's tough to make it overly technical. I doubt people would watch Jason riding in the dark .

But if you are looking for CX and general bike handling techniques...

Episode 2

How To Win Paris-Ancaster: Episode 2 - "Skills" | RIDING FEELS GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    The first picture gives the impression that riding Paris-Ancaster either causes hair loss or is required to ride.

Edited after watching the movie:
    It's nicely done but a lightweight piece of fluff.
    Getting ready for my first Paris-Ancaster, I was hoping for something at least half useful. I wish training for the race involved rides on a beautiful summer day. Where's the cold rides in the dark, trying to get some miles in?
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    For those that are interested....

Episode 3

How To Win Paris-Ancaster: Episode 3 - "Guidance" | RIDING FEELS GOOD

Episode 4 (Some sweet race footage to get your jacked to rip it)

How To Win Paris-Ancaster: Episode 4 - "Pressure" | RIDING FEELS GOOD

Episode 5 was shown at the release party and stars Anne Guzman (local elite level racer nutritionist). Very good info coming next week.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Straight outta Rossland

I Strava Hamburgers
    Name:  h285CF480.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  17.7 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Re: Official P2A 2013 Paris 2 Ancaster thread

We'll... I'm in for the wave 1 start. Should be an interesting ride. Will probably cough up a lung at the end of it but that's just part off the fun!

Edit: pay <> part
    Last edited by TheWiseFool; 03-12-2013 at 06:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Rly?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    How bad is the final climb? I'm signed up for my first P2A and can't decide between geared or singlespeed. I want to ride the SS because I prefer it, but I'm a little concerned about my ability to deal with the final climb with only one gear. For those familiar with both, is it comparable to the 7th concession climb from 3 Rock to Durham Forest?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    How bad is the final climb? I'm signed up for my first P2A and can't decide between geared or singlespeed. I want to ride the SS because I prefer it, but I'm a little concerned about my ability to deal with the final climb with only one gear. For those familiar with both, is it comparable to the 7th concession climb from 3 Rock to Durham Forest?
    Haven't ridden that climb, so no comparison, but here is the elevation profile.

I think Martin Road has more bark than actual bite which has developed over the years. Seeing as the P2A is very much a citizen event, it's pretty tough for your average, recreational cyclist after what for them was likely a grueling 60 km. So it's developed a bit of a aura around it.

The tough part is km 1.5 to 1.7. That's only 200 m. Many people walk, geared or not and it won't change your time that much. If you prefer the singlespeed ride it. And as most people say, gear for the first 58 km where there is minimal hills, not the last 2 km.
    Straight outta Rossland

Lemmy Rules!
    If you are using a standard trail SS gearing (ie 32:18) then the final climb is totally doable. But of course you will have been spinning like a gerbil for the previous 69km. My advice: Run a gear for the first 69 km and push up that steep 200m at the end. When I last did it on my Singlespeed I ran a 44:16 gearing and cyclocross tires. No way I was making it up Martin Road but I still finished in under 3 hours
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice CptSydor and Unglued. I'll guess I'll ride the SS and be prepared to push up the end, just need to figure out gearing, 44:16 sounds way too tall for me. I did the Tour de King last year on 34:20, which was a little short so I'll try something taller like 34:17.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    They are very different , the 7th conc. climb is longer, 4.5k with about 130 meters of climbing over the whole thing, and it is a true road, whereas I don't think you can drive a car up martin road (correct me if I'm wrong here people...I have done it 5+ times, but I am usually seeing triple by that point. CptCydor nails it with the final 200 meters. If you know the climb up the backside of Dagmar (east of 3 rocks) it's a similar exhaustive experience, only worse because you hit it at the end of the race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    whereas I don't think you can drive a car up martin road (correct me if I'm wrong here people...I have done it 5+ times, but I am usually seeing triple by that point.
    1/2 the road is permanently closed now and resembles an old, muddy farm/tractor/4x4 lane. The other 1/2 is open (or parts only seasonally). There is a residence on Martin road and during the spring/summer/fall is a nicely grated dirt road.
    Last edited by CptSydor; 03-13-2013 at 06:34 AM.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    That helps put it in context. I'm not familiar with the Dagmar climb (I'll have to check it out) but based on Strava segment info I'm imagining something more like the Wall of Pain in Durham, just much longer.
    Now to plan out some longer hill intervals for the next couple weeks

I Strava Hamburgers
    For those familiar with both, is it comparable to the 7th concession climb from 3 Rock to Durham Forest?
    No. Its worse but its also much shorter. The 3 Rock to Durham Forest climb is doable on a SS without much trouble, its just long and annoying. Martin hill is much shorter, but the grade is incredible at some points, and is much more "technical" during the beginning and mid parts.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Someone already answered it... my bad
    Last edited by 14Stone; 03-13-2013 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Derp

mtbr member
    IMO the hill isn't that doable on an SS if you gear for the majority of the race. The race is pretty flat compared to the grades of the Martin hill at the end. Last time I raced I found it quicker to run it than to attempt to ride it pushing a big gear.

For the SSers, what gearing are you running?

I ran 42:18 last time and could use a bit more punch on the flats. Considering going to a 44t ring, but I am not sure. The other hills in the race are all a blur in my mind.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    That helps put it in context. I'm not familiar with the Dagmar climb (I'll have to check it out) but based on Strava segment info I'm imagining something more like the Wall of Pain in Durham, just much longer.
    Now to plan out some longer hill intervals for the next couple weeks
    Yeah, longer, wider though, and not nearly as tough as the final 50 feet of WoP (only it will be much tougher after 70k or riding)

mtbr member
    How to win P2A, Episode 6. Work, with hints about getting more ingredients on your sub or in a burrito. Brilliant

How To Win Paris-Ancaster - Episode 6 - "Work" | RIDING FEELS GOOD
    Straight outta Rossland

I Strava Hamburgers
    This series is great, look forward to them every week.

mtbr member
    Next Episode....'Future'

Really not about Paris to Ancaster. Jason is a passionate cyclist, from MTB, road, CX and commuting. His goal with this project was to maybe inspire some one to pick up cycling, maybe improve their health by being more active (he's currently finishing up med school)

Some great information in the episode. Fill out the survey if you have the time. Shouldn't take long.

How To Win Paris-Ancaster: Episode 7 - "Future" | RIDING FEELS GOOD
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Tim Farrar please check your pms

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    Tim Farrar please check your pms
    Although it's possible that Tim has notification set up, he isn't a regular participant on mtbr as far as I know (unless user account names have gotten me confused). Probably best to send an email to him instead using whatever contact info is available on the event web site rather than trying to call him out here with a post to check PMs.

mtbr member

thanks - yea that makes a lot more sense,

Although it's possible that Tim has notification set up, he isn't a regular participant on mtbr as far as I know (unless user account names have gotten me confused). Probably best to send an email to him instead using whatever contact info is available on the event web site rather than trying to call him out here with a post to check PMs.
    now the second message is to god, asking for a sunny day, and no wind. And maybe flatten that last hill a little bit.

No. Just No.
    now the second message is to god, asking for a sunny day, and no wind. And maybe flatten that last hill a little bit.
    Although it's possible that god has notification set up, he/she isn't a regular participant on mtbr as far as I know (unless user account names have gotten me confused). Probably best to send an email to her/him instead (try [email protected] ?) rather than trying to call him/her out here.

I do support your desire for sunny days and flat winds though. Good call on both.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

I do support your desire for sunny days and flat winds though.
    Here here!

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWiseFool View Post
    Here here!
    Anyone remember the 2008 P2A? The sun was out, I was in a short sleeve jersey and bibs, and got a sunburn. Somehow it didn't seem right....

But I'll take it!
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

If the temp is above 10 C I'll be in shorts.... For that matter, and if the temp is below 10 I'll be in shorts. So it better be above!

I Strava Hamburgers

Not to say that there are people who are praying for world peace, end to famine and things that matter which I guess is what his inbox would look like if there was a god, or if he had some sort of ISP in the first place. I don't know, I don't pretend to understand. Though I guess there is proof because he gave us bikes and beer so theres gotta be something to this. This post does not reflect any beliefs or otherwise of all MTBR members. So don't neg me bro.

mtbr member

Not to say that there are people who are praying for world peace, end to famine and things that matter which I guess is what his inbox would look like if there was a god, or if he had some sort of ISP in the first place. I don't know, I don't pretend to understand. Though I guess there is proof because he gave us bikes and beer so theres gotta be something to this. This post does not reflect any beliefs or otherwise of all MTBR members. So don't neg me bro.
    I think god gave us trees, the bicycles and beer came from the greedy capitalists that look after our vices for profit. Yea capitalists.

Over the bars...
    If the temp is above 10 C I'll be in shorts.... For that matter, and if the temp is below 10 I'll be in shorts. So it better be above!
    Official P2A 2013 Paris 2 Ancaster thread-p2a.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Looks promising but wet. I really hope it doesn't rain until AFTER P2A. I don't want to slug through farmers fields in fresh mud.

I Strava Hamburgers

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So this seems like fun after watching the vids (but, I think I like the same "not so fun" type of fun).
    There could be a chance that I'll be back down home (Simcoe) testing the MX bike at Gopher dunes on the saturday. If so, I'll see if I can work it to do the 40km race since I'll have only a few days on the MTB. Plus the first ride of the season at Gopher dunes (Probably the roughest toughest MX track in Canada) you are pretty sore the next morning.
    If I have this weekend free I'll make sure I get out and find a place in the Ottawa area to work the new bike.

So if you notice a guy wearing a MX jersey with improper pants/shorts, flat pedals and a brand new looking bike it's likely me. Wave when you pass!

mtbr member

more tips for P2A newbies,

mtbr member
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official P2A 2013 Paris 2 Ancaster thread-memetoughguy.jpg  

Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Step 1: Get bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I see they have graded Slote Rd from Mineral Springs to Powerline Rd. Did a nice job, it's a bit loose but not deep.
    Been trying to decide between running MTB tires and wheels or Cross tires and wheels. With the forecast, MTB is sounding better and better.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Went to an eye-opening local meeting about the Dundas Valley Conservation Area last night. Found out that a few local residents are deeply opposed to P2A, ostensibly because they're concerned about the number of salamanders crushed by bicycles on the road allowances. Personally, I think it's a symptom of a deeper antipathy towards cyclists. I had no idea it was even an issue (though I'm sure the organisers know!).

Evil Jr.
    Went to an eye-opening local meeting about the Dundas Valley Conservation Area last night. Found out that a few local residents are deeply opposed to P2A, ostensibly because they're concerned about the number of salamanders crushed by bicycles on the road allowances. Personally, I think it's a symptom of a deeper antipathy towards cyclists. I had no idea it was even an issue (though I'm sure the organisers know!).
    It was an eye opener alright. There are certainly some people that live in the Mineral Springs area that REALLY dislike the race. Be on your best behaviour out there!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    , ostensibly because they're concerned about the number of salamanders crushed by bicycles on the road allowances.
    Yet it will be perfectly acceptable to these same people to drive their cars on the same local roads and mow down the same Salamanders. Seems less of a issue of dead Salamanders and more of what is the more morally sound method of causing this method of carnage.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Yet it will be perfectly acceptable to these same people to drive their cars on the same local roads and mow down the same Salamanders. Seems less of a issue of dead Salamanders and more of what is the more morally sound method of causing this method of carnage.
    Local municipality really needs to set up some signs for salamander crossings at regular intervals along these roads. That will help with the local residents too who can be on special watch as they drive these sections. The P2A organizers can assign marshals for all these crossings during the event to make sure the salamanders are safe.

mtbr member
    Local municipality really needs to set up some signs for salamander crossings at regular intervals along these roads. That will help with the local residents too who can be on special watch as they drive these sections. The P2A organizers can assign marshals for all these crossings during the event to make sure the salamanders are safe.
    Radio Caller Wants to Move Deer Crossing Signs So the Deer Will Cross Elsewhere | The Big Lead

The smart thing is to put the salamander crossing in low traffic areas, why are we letting them cross the race course?
    Straight outta Rossland

Evil Jr.
    You jest (I assume) but the meeting also included a number of residents that wanted to add wildlife crossings all along another road outside of the boundaries of the study area we were discussing (York Rd. - for the locals).

Cpt Sydor can confirm we already have dozens of turtle crossing signs in town.

mtbr member
    I understand the concern, but it's seems that an opportunity is being missed by the Dundas Valley Conservation Area. They have a group of 2000 riders, many of whom are sensitive to environmental concerns, that they could leverage to raise awareness and possibly funds through this event.

Anyone want to show them we support their efforts by liking the Facebook page? I'll start, they have 217 likes at this point.

Dundas Valley Conservation Area FB Page

PS - I thought salamander migrations occur at night? Shouldn't be a problem during race time.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    You jest (I assume) but the meeting also included a number of residents that wanted to add wildlife crossings all along another road outside of the boundaries of the study area we were discussing (York Rd. - for the locals).

Cpt Sydor can confirm we already have dozens of turtle crossing signs in town.
    We have the same here. And I can confirm that the muni installed them about 4 ears ago and have absolutely done squat to decrease the road kill turtle numbers. Though it almost saw a increase in road kill student numbers a couple of years ago.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It was an eye opener alright. There are certainly some people that live in the Mineral Springs area that REALLY dislike the race. Be on your best behaviour out there!
    Seriously?! That is the most absurd thing I have heard in a while.

What do they think about cars?!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayline View Post
    Seriously?! That is the most absurd thing I have heard in a while.
    There are approximately 20 "species at risk" and maybe another few "endangered" that live in the Valley and people around here are extremely protective of them.

P2A falls in a bit of a gray zone since I *think* (correct me if I'm wrong), it doesn't actually use any HCA property, just Municipal road allowances.

EDIT: They also hate cars - despite the cognitive disconnect that might cause.

Lemmy Rules!
    So that explains all the flats I got in 2011...my tires were being bitten by salamanders
    Strava made me do it....

rwmtb
    In Burlington there is a road that is closed for 3 weeks each spring to let the Jefferson Salamanders cross the road (March 18 to April 8). So P2A would be safe if they made it P2B

The Salamanders are nocturnal and according to the material I read cross the road at night. They like wet conditions and will migrate to their breeding ponds right after an early spring rain. All the more reason to pray for a sunny day!

Lot's of information about the Salamander in a document published by the MNR here.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Though I am wondering if the ring leader of this group happens to be related to a certain some one in the District of North Vancouver.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Good luck to all, that are braving the couse/distance and weather this early in the year!!
    Looking at the radar the start of the race and start of the rain should be about the same.
    Hope to hear from some of you still carrying winter fat and out of shape for your race reports...........those are the ones I can relate to!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Damn, I forgot about that meeting. I wanted to go to that. Wanted to ask why they insist on using road grade gravel for maintenance when the paths and rail trail are built using screenings. Never packs down properly and a pain to ride on.

mtbr member

Did a little P2A style ride today.

Things I can report
    1) Rail trails are in good shape (I think my standard has decreased since Steaming Nostril)
    2) The double track/lane ways in the West Hamilton area are better than I expected. A little softer than usual, but still easily done on a CX bike
    3) Martin Road is no less steep than last year, or the year before.
    Straight outta Rossland

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Evil Jr.
    Wow, just wow!

Official P2A 2013 Paris 2 Ancaster thread-wow.jpg

mtbr member
    Wow, just wow!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wow.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	788575
    Meh....give me no rain within 12 hours of the start (or during) the race and a westerly wind and I'll consider it a major win.

On the bright side, I'm guessing any residual snow in the area will be wiped out with that projected rain fail
    Straight outta Rossland

Over the bars...
    Name:  p2aboots.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  53.2 KB

mtbr member

P2A weather

:I guess we have to pick the weather forecast that we want for sunday, and I like this one
    Weather Forecast: Hamilton, Ontario - The Weather Network

maybe it will get a bit warmer though and the wind is out of the west .

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looks like the same forecast to me - 2-3 inches of rain and maybe some slushy snow over the next few days.

mtbr member
    I can honestly say I had never seen one of these guys, found him in the middle of the rail trail on a Jan evening hike, it had been warm and was getting extremely cold again. He was obviously a little confused, lost a few toes from the cold.. was amazing to watch them grow back in 3 days.
    My point is I ride a lot on the local trails, and I lookout for wildlife too. The thought of the P2A being cancelled because of salamanders is ridiculous. If there is an issue the road should be closed like King Rd in Burlington. These yellow spotted salamanders are not in danger.. but they spend 90% of their time underground only coming up in March/April with the Spring rains to breed in vernal pools. Now that is it is raining he is going back outside where he was found by the end of the week.
    My daughter is sad and wants to keep him, (his name is Ralph) but I explained he is only here because I could not leave him to freeze out in the open on the rail trail. It is amazing he eats crickets, meal worms, and reg earth worms..
    I bet more are killed by cars that a one day race.
    People against MTBr's I have heard are horse people, they have wanted us off the trails for years.. I was told it was the horse people that donated the land to the conservation area, reason they still have as much power and influence. If that is correct or not I am not sure.. it came from a horse person I was riding with..

Official P2A 2013 Paris 2 Ancaster thread-ralph.jpg

mtbr member
    Pre-race email confirms there have already been some changes to the course, possibly more coming depending on conditions tomorrow.

Not surprising given the weather and the fact that the true off-road sections are private land, and you can't expect people to want their property to get chewed up, nor would the race organizers want to leave that kind of mess if avoidable.

Mud slide still in. Doubt the actual effective riding condition of that will change much.

What tires is everyone using
    Straight outta Rossland

Evil Jr.
    Mud slide still in. Doubt the actual effective riding condition of that will change much.
    OMG, the Powerline chute is going to look like something out of Paschendale!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

I WAS planning on keeping my ikons on. Probably won't change but I've been eyeing my beavers...

I Strava Hamburgers

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    We are going to be hiking a bunch of trail. I say use the tires that hold the least mud. This way my bike will be as light as possible while I carry it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    This is my first P2A so I'm only in the 40km. Anyone thats done the 40 before, how early before the start should I plan to get to the start line so that I'm not at the back of the pack? No waves in the 40k.

Trying to decide if I should run mountain or cyclocross tires. With the conditions, I figure the mountain tires but then again, anything soft is going to be so ripped up and packed full of people, it may not be rideable anyways. More clearance with the cyclocross tires too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Raidthefridgeguy View Post
    We are going to be hiking a bunch of trail. I say use the tires that hold the least mud.
    I partially agree. The thing is a lot of the trail will be on all weather trails and speed matters. You're not going to be hiking 70 km. You're going to be riding at speed for a big chunk of it. Mud tires are just going to be sapping your energy all the way through.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sorry, yes, to clarify I would suggest running cross tires instead of mountain bike tires because they are faster on the roads and hold the least mud. I rode Racing Ralph mountain bike tires last year and they did not seem to cut through the mud as well as other riders who were using cross tires. They also held a ton of mud making the bike VERY heavy when I did have to get off the bike and carry it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

I agree with you there. If I had cross tires it wouldn't even be a question. Unfortunately I will have to slug away on my mtb tires. I'll just pump the pressure to close to 35psi and hope for the best

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Pre-registration List

Pre-reg list.

Number of Riders: 2203 as of April 11th at 9:00am
    I'm getting (the usual) pre-race jitters. What if, what if, what if, what if?!!???!

I have to admit that I am such a basket case in the days leading up to a race.

Over the bars...
    Pre-registration List

Pre-reg list.

I'm getting (the usual) pre-race jitters. What if, what if, what if, what if?!!???!

As am I!! I think this is how we are supposed to feel!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pre-registration List

Pre-reg list.

Maybe it's because this is my first P2A, but I didn't have any jitters until I read this. Much obliged!

Lemmy Rules!
    Cross tires. No question. That way you can manage the dirt and make up time on the road and gravel.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Don't say "only" in the 40km - It's a noble event.
    I've done the Petite P2A a number of times and haven't been on the bike enough to justify it this year.

The start is one long group with the racers arriving to the start are up to 30 minutes before to be in the first 30 spots. You can strat anywhere and still be able to move up because the first 5 km or so is road. Pleanty of time to catch up to those who got to the start line early. Hope that helps

Evil Jr.
    I've heard some people spray their frames with PAM prior to really muddy races... might make your bikes slightly lighter through the hiking sections!

Over the bars...
    I've heard some people spray their frames with PAM prior to really muddy races... might make your bikes slightly lighter through the hiking sections!
    I have heard WD40 on frame but never PAM. Interesting...

sock puppet
    they are re-routing the course. farmers field is out. gravel road in.

i guess CX bike then...
    Signature

sock puppet
    Cross tires. No question. That way you can manage the dirt and make up time on the road and gravel.
    can you give us some advice on how to manage the dirt, sir?

thank you in advance. Strava thanks you too.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Unless you are in the first wave and aiming for top 200, I wouldn't worry about positioning in your group that much in my opinion. After 10-20 minutes of riding it opens up. I was near the tail end of the second wave, and it didn't really affect my time that much. There is so many people racing that at pretty much all the pinch points (like entering the trails etc.) there is a bit of bunching, but I always found other open spots to make up time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    As a side note what tire pressure are people running ? I ran clinchers at around 50 psi last year. I am running tubulars this year, was thinking maybe around the same amount perhaps a bit higher.

mtbr member
    I should stay away from this thread to prevent second guessing but... It's my first P2A and I decided a few weeks back that I'm racing with what I have this year. After I've done it once I'll adjust accordingly.
    So I'm probably undergeared (single speed 34x18) and have too much tire (2.25 Racing Ralph's), but I do know I'm in the best condition I've been in for any race yet and that's probably the most important part of the equation
    Looking forward to getting dirty on Sunday.

Lemmy Rules!
    I should stay away from this thread to prevent second guessing but... It's my first P2A and I decided a few weeks back that I'm racing with what I have this year. After I've done it once I'll adjust accordingly.
    So I'm probably undergeared (single speed 34x18) and have too much tire (2.25 Racing Ralph's), but I do know I'm in the best condition I've been in for any race yet and that's probably the most important part of the equation
    That may work for you given all the mud. You might also try switching to cx tires if you have time but if not, run your RR's at a slightly higher pressure
    Strava made me do it....

Lemmy Rules!
    I've been eyeing my beavers...
    Oggie, where were you on this one? Are you that concerned about being suspended? Or was it just not enough of a challenge?
    Strava made me do it....

Lemmy Rules!
    can you give us some advice on how to manage the dirt, sir?

thank you in advance. Strava thanks you too.
    I was hoping you would tell me. I think it has something to do with not crashing...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member

Indeed I am as well.

And I suggest that your practice race may have been more confidence-building than my "practice race".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart_d View Post
    As a side note what tire pressure are people running ? I ran clinchers at around 50 psi last year. I am running tubulars this year, was thinking maybe around the same amount perhaps a bit higher.
    I'll be at 50 PSI on tubulars this year (clinchers I would normally be closer to 70 to limit the potential for a pinch flat). Been running this pressure all spring on mixed surface rides and is working well for me. I generally run higher pressure than most however
    Straight outta Rossland

Over the bars...
    I heard from a good source that the winner of Steaming Nostril was riding Tubulars at 30 PSI... As for me, I will be running clinchers at "can't quite pinch easily"...

sock puppet
    stuart, you must be a poser, since you run tubulars... same as Captain... but he has bigger ass then you so he is justified... what is your excuse...
    Signature

sock puppet
    that was the biggest mistake in your short life so far.

don't say you have not been warned.

are RR tubular or clincher?
    Signature

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by egggman View Post
    I have heard WD40 on frame but never PAM. Interesting...
    When prepping the MX bike for a mud race, one of my prep tricks is to coat the frame, wheels (not the tires) and all other surfaces that don't require me to have traction on with WD-40. It works like a charm.
    Plus WD-40 is obviously an amazing protectant, and makes any plastic bits look new as well!

Usually spray it on a rag and then wipe down whatever you want coated to prevent over spray going anywhere you don't want it.

sock puppet
    Oggie, where were you on this one? Are you that concerned about being suspended? Or was it just not enough of a challenge?
    i took care of his beavers while he was eyeing them... it was weird, but a man has to do what a man has to do...

circlip is frantically reading the rule book on this one as we speak... he will probably solicit some help from the ultralord who will hopefully tell him to put his suckie back in and be happy...

i apologize in advance for contributing to early closure of this thread.

my last words: if you don't have file tread tubulars, stay at home...
    Signature

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What's my excuse ? They are only the tires I have right now. I am starting to remember why I never post on this board.

stuart, you must be a poser, since you run tubulars... same as Captain... but he has bigger ass then you so he is justified... what is your excuse...

sock puppet
    What's my excuse ? They are only the tires I have right now. I am starting to remember why I never post on this board.
    Stuart. )))))))

Welcome to this board. I was just teasing you.

PS I will be running Tubulars as well. That is all I got.
    Signature

mtbr member

that was the biggest mistake in your short life so far.

don't say you have not been warned.

are RR tubular or clincher?
    Warning duly noted and ignored. RRs are clinchers, the only tires I have for my SS.

Also, I think taking a first date in high school to see The Accused was a bigger mistake

mtbr member
    Don't mind Oggie folks. He's just upset cause they didn't invite him to be part of the Olympian experience, nor was he fast enough to get in the elite wave.

To him, being back in the later waves is like royalty mingling with the serfs (his words, not mine).
    Last edited by CptSydor; 04-12-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    Straight outta Rossland

sock puppet
    Warning duly noted and ignored. RRs are clinchers, the only tires I have for my SS.

Also, I think taking a first date in high school to see The Accused was a bigger mistake
    That's a pretty good excuse for still being a virgin. But you do have potential though. Full body Armour or spandex?
    Signature

sock puppet
    Don't mind Oggie folks. He's just upset cause they didn't invite him to be part of the Olympian experience, nor was he fast enough to get in the elite wave.

To him, being back in the later waves is like royalty mingling with the surfs (his words, not mine).
    What? I am not starting with elites? I want my mommy now.

Well, truth is I could have purchased my spot with VIPs, like some around here who I know (but would not admit to it anymore) but passed on his opportunity and donated $100 to my mortgage payments. I will suffer together with other suckers way behind you "the PROs". My only dilemma now is to go with knee warmers or without.
    Signature

mtbr member

That's a pretty good excuse for still being a virgin. But you do have potential though. Full body Armour or spandex?
    You really are quite upset about having to mingle with the serfs. And to answer your question I was thinking of plaid flannel, but I may opt for spandex - race day decision.

sock puppet
    You really are quite upset about having to mingle with the serfs. And to answer your question I was thinking of plaid flannel, but I may opt for spandex - race day decision.
    Yes it hurts my feelings as I never manage to get my mug on any of the pics. They always go after the PROs or the SCHMOs. Nothing in between. It's killing me. Can you help me with that? You have any connections?
    Signature

mtbr member
    Can anyone send me a GPS file from a past year for use with our photographers. I have packed up a computer due to moving prep that has my Garmin file on it. We really want to get someone shooting at the Powerline mudslide, but I don't know how to get in there.

email is [email protected] or if you know directions, please help .
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Yes it hurts my feelings as I never manage to get my mug on any of the pics. They always go after the PROs or the SCHMOs. Nothing in between. It's killing me. Can you help me with that? You have any connections?
    I see Uncle Oggie has been given his summer work release permit again.

sock puppet
    Can anyone send me a GPS file from a past year for use with our photographers. I have packed up a computer due to moving prep that has my Garmin file on it. We really want to get someone shooting at the Powerline mudslide, but I don't know how to get in there.

If that is the muddy gully where I regularly do my superman stints to the approval of surrounding spectators, I have no idea where it is.
    Signature

mtbr member

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=43.231775,-80.024546&amp;t=h&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;z=14&amp;ll=43.2 31775,-80.024546&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=43.231775,-80.024546&amp;t=h&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;z=14&amp;ll=43.2 31775,-80.024546&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

I believe it is at 43.231478,-80.026658
    Paris to Ancaster Race 2010 in Paris, ON | MapMyRide
    Paris to Ancaster 2011 in Ancaster, ON | MapMyRide

Lemmy Rules!
    I always have viewed you as a schmo....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Noooooo.....don't show the photogs where the mudslide is!!! There is just no way to look good on that thing...either walking it, supermanning, or riding it with face grimaced in fear...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Did Louda catch Unglued?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    How was it?

Who was bike 244? I was driving behind you wondering how you did.

mtbr member
    did they cut the race back from 70 KM to 57 KM and when did they tell us about that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Did alright 2hr45 on a mtb with mtb wheels. I ducked on the road but blew buy everyone in the mud. The mud slide was awesome, would have taken it full speed if it wasn't for crossers blocking the road.

sock puppet
    did they cut the race back from 70 KM to 57 KM and when did they tell us about that?
    i received an email on Thu or Fri - stating that some private land sections of the course were taken out due to rain etc as well that the course is shortened...

did you ride slower - saving it for 70k or just generally disappointed that your suffering was a bit shorter?
    Signature

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Did Louda catch Unglued?
    Unglued had a rough day at the office. Full report to follow when I have finished self-medicating
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet
    I always have viewed you as a schmo....
    indeed... that makes us two...
    Signature

I Strava Hamburgers
    Unglued had a rough day at the office. Full report to follow when I have finished self-medicating
    Translation: I am drinking heavily.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Translation: I am drinking heavily.
    I have had races in the past like that. There is not enough alcohol .

mtbr member
    did you ride slower - saving it for 70k or just generally disappointed that your suffering was a bit shorter?[/QUOTE]

I burnt up at Steaming Nostril and spent sunday night til Monday at 5 am in the hospital with an IV in my arm, so was a bit tentative about this race. Yesterday I picked up my package and was in the 4th wave, the conditions were tough and the 70K made me think that I should bail. Tomorrow I see the doc in the morning so better to be careful. 57K would have been different, but there are lots more races. Just wondered how they let everyone know that the course was shortened.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    did you ride slower - saving it for 70k or just generally disappointed that your suffering was a bit shorter?
    I burnt up at Steaming Nostril and spent sunday night til Monday at 5 am in the hospital with an IV in my arm, so was a bit tentative about this race. Yesterday I picked up my package and was in the 4th wave, the conditions were tough and the 70K made me think that I should bail. Tomorrow I see the doc in the morning so better to be careful. 57K would have been different, but there are lots more races. Just wondered how they let everyone know that the course was shortened.[/QUOTE]

While it is easy to go online and talk about it. Reality is RD's sometimes have to make changes to courses at the last minute. Keep in mind parts of the P2A course are off road and even though an email went out 48 hours before today. There would have been race crew out up to the last minute checking off road sections to see if they where still good. And at times a course decision is made after the start gun goes off.

Really the nature of racing in the outdoors and it is something one faces every time they show up to a race. It's all part of the challenge of racing. I know, because I have has this happen at one race. It's easy to worry about the distance and such. But in the end it all doesn't matter.

Onto more positive things,

I hear Louda did well.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

mtbr member
    (Quote) Really the nature of racing in the outdoors and it is something one faces every time they show up to a race. It's all part of the challenge of racing. I know, because I have has this happen at one race. It's easy to worry about the distance and such. But in the end it all doesn't matter.

Absolutely, Tim and John do a great job and there are a thousand things to look after before and during every race. Some of us remember 1999. Glad that the race was another great event and of course congratulations to the organizers and riders alike.

Evil Jr.
    Was it flats or something more unexpected? Details, we need 'em!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Was it flats or something more unexpected? Details, we need 'em!
    Jedi ninja's?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Just wondered how they let everyone know that the course was shortened.
    They announced at the start that some of the course was cut out. We figured out things as we went, and when we got to Martin Road, we knew it was done.

Fun day. Great seeing everyone out today. Great riding with ghettocruiser IRL.

I am uploading photos, and will share later. They are arguably Jouko-centric, as I believe the photographer (not me) had a bias.

mtbr member
    P2A Report...

I love this race. I won't deny it. I think it's cause I'm a closet roadie but way too ADD to pay attention to the unchanging..........Squirrel!

My sister was nice enough to drive me out to the start. Unfortunately I didn't really do a great job with time management. Between dropping off my car in Ancaster and then driving to Paris (seriously, it's like 15 km farther then I every imagined), I ended up with a 10 minute warm-up, 3 of which were the piss of a life-time. I wanted to be at the front of the elite wave so I wanted to line up early...see this race is a goal for me, I judge my self-worth on how well I do at P2A and frankily this summer I wanted to feel like a supa-star.

Lined-up 2nd row. Which became 4th row by the time people finished throwing their bikes over the railing. Even heard a guy convince his in W1 to throw his bike over the fence and start in the elite wave. Hope he got DQ'd.

Race was off, I held my start position through the rail trail. Well, not quite, there are always about 10 guys who ride like complete asses on the rail trial, almost (and at times) causing havoc trying to gain a few positions by riding up the sides. Everyone knows the true selection comes once the big right hander takes places and there is plenty of time to move up (unless you are fighting for top 10, a few positions means nothing).

This was all confirmed by the one and only Mr. Steve Bauer, who I drafted for a good portion of the rail trial. He was keeping his distance from all the yahoo's, you could tell with his experience in the peleton, he knew when disaster was highly probable

One the right hander took place, it was off the bike. Too many people, not enough space and terrain that wasn't easy. Managed to cyclocross my way up the field a bit. Not sure how, my legs are short and I'm not very fleet of foot on them.

That led to the climb out of the grand river basin. This is major selection point. You get up with a good group, or you show strength throughout the race and slowly pick off people. I tried to make the selection, didn't work. I gassed myself. Once we got out on the pavement, I tried with all my might to bridge to the group in front of me, it was only 30 yards, but I had burnt my first match and need some recovery time. Sat up and waited for the group behind me by 30 yards.

We quickly breezed by the first off-road section. It was out. Crap, I was hoping this wasn't going to be all easy stuff. That's what keeps me interested in this race. (in the end, it seems as though, compared to a normal P2A, two major off-road sections were removed, 1 moderate, gravel, soft section added). Before long however we were doing the Orchard lolipop. This was the new section. 50% gravel, 50% tough, soft farm lane.

Can't recall too much of the next bits. We cycled, there were a couple off-road section, they were soft, but really not much different from what I recall from previous years (disclaimer, I don't claim to be accurate in my recollections). A couple big puddles, which gave soakers on each food. Great stuff, cold feet. Overall, from a day of weather perspective, it was down right beautiful.

Then we made our way through the halfway point, and there was no feed station. I wasn't planning on taking anything, nor do I imagine does anyone from the top 300, but it was a mind game. Is this the halfway point, where are the people trying to get me to take a banana with their pleasant smiles and enthusiastic encouragement.

Soon after, we did the farmers field of death. Probably would have been faster to walk, but that darn pride....

Then came the rail trail. At this point, I was feeling strong. Was doing a good chunk of pulling with the groupetto I had formed. The first section was fun, which is rougher and not part of the Ham/Brant section. I tried to pull away, grabbed a wheel in front, then I guess slowed down and my group slowly reeled me in. Do'h

We then hit the Hamilton to Brantford section of rail trail. I was feeling great. Me and and an ox of a guy were sharing duties, though I was doing more than my fair share. I've never felt so strong. No one else was offering to come to front. So we jacked up the pace, figured if they weren't going to help lets ***** slap them. Ended up dropping a fair number of people from the group. Side note, heading through those barriers in the lead was super helpful. Pick your line, let everyone else behind you slow to make sure they could see it, then have to accelerate to pick your wheel. That helped me stay really strong through this.

At this point we skipped the second off-road section I recognized, which was the left hand off the rail trail, under a tree. I actually liked this section. I've put in a 'move' here a few times before.

By this point I realized we were getting close. A couple undulating hills, which tore apart the group, then the first mud slide. All smooth.

By the time we were approaching the second mudslide (and the couple rollers before it) I was feeling the legs. I normally excel at this point and I was struggling. I quickly realized I hadn't left anything on the course (which is often a complaint I have of myself, probably why I felt good previously), I was so close to being trashed, but knew I had just enough to get me to the end.

Second mudslide. I have cleared both mudslides every year I've done this. This year it wasn't meant to be. Not sure what happened, maybe cause I was right on the edge of being done, but I lost my line, my focus, and ended up doing the superman. Luckily this was right at the camera man, so instead of being caught on film, I roughed him up a little. Got dropped by the couple guys I was riding with.

Then you know what's left, Martin road. I had nothing left. Not much to say, I rode up it, it hurt, but that's par for the course. At the steepest point, I struggled. I knew I wouldn't need to put a foot down, but I also had to throw in a couple switch backs (seriously, why do I have a 25 on my crossbike?).

Then the finish came. Thanked a few guys I worked with, then went back to heckle the likes of Oggie who was walking his bike up Martin road. WEAK.

Great race, love it.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    And damn...that field was stacked. I dropped serious (relative) time this year but didn't move up much in placing.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I had a rough race - I was first in Wave 2 for about 12km (lots of leechers drafting me without helping out) and then my crank arm came really loose I stopped 4 times begging people who were also stopped for a multi-tool, however Sram Red cranks use such a big allen key for the spindle that nothing fit

I ended up just making it to St. George and stopped a 5th time while the 'bike tech' guys tightened my cranks, and took their sweet ass time in the process! Longest bolt tighten ever jeeze!

I put down the watts hard for the 2nd half of the race and caught back up to the pack and ended up finishing 20th in men 20-29 - would of been top 10 without the crankarm issues.

ALSO on the powerline mudslide, I called a pass down the middle between a guy who was clearly out of control / slow. Guy turned directly infront of me causing me to lock up / lose momentum (not intentional so I wasnt cheesed) and caused me to catch a rock and flip over the bars directly into the thick mud pit - crowd went 'oooOooOOo' ahhahaah

That last hill is a *****.

Lemmy Rules!
    OK, I have my second Radical Road Scotch Ale in me, so am ready to tell my story. The top two adjectives for my race today were "Character building" and "Belgian". As my team-mate, friend, and sometime MTBR-EC contributor Jouko put it today "can you have an uneventful P2A just once?" Apparently not.

Those of you who know my know that I have gotten a little more serious about racing over the winter - no more of this "show up on the day and pedal as hard as I can and hope for the best". I have lost 25lb over the winter, and Peter Glassford is sending me workouts (any improvements in my riding are due to that, BTW). ALthough I did the Frostbike in Feb, this was the first serious race for the New Improved Unglued. I was pretty nervous about it.

I figured a new attitude towards racing deserved making a bit of a splash, so I signed up for the VIP wave (BTW the after-race massage alone made this worthwhile. And no, Oggie, a happy ending was not an option, so get your mind out of the gutter). We started with the elites and I was hanging with a pretty fast group for the first section of rail trail. When, quite predictably, I flatted. Of course, I have lots of experience fixing flats at the P2A and was carrying 3 innertubes, 4 CO2 cartridges and a pump. Those who remember the 2011 sh!t show that passed for my 2011 P2A will understand why I took my tire protection to obsessive-compulsive levels. In any event, I got the flat fixed, kept my cool, and started riding again, but I was completely alone, so had no-one to draft behind. This did not stop me from having an average speed north of 30km/h as I finished the first section of rail trail.

I was feeling strong for the road sections, and able to keep spinning through the muddy sections (most of which had the consistency of peanut butter). My average speed was still north of 25 km/h despite riding through several oatmeal-consistency sections, including a lap of someone's farm which just so happened to be built on a swamp.

By the time I hit the first mudslide, I was still alone (although several fast groups from Wave 1 had passed me and I had tried and failed to hang on for more than a few minutes). I managed to ride the first section of the mudslide, but in the second section managed a spectacular superman which Sean Ruppel caught on film (he was happy to announce that). Got back on the bike and kept rolling.

And then my race went south (or maybe even further south...).

After the second mudslide there is a fast downhill that goes under a bridge and makes a left right after the bridge. There was a marshall in front of the bridge saying "left after the bridge". It would have been far better if he had been saying "look out for the gigantic pothole under the bridge". But as he was not saying this, I had no choice but to hit the pothole at 40 km/h and crash. Hard.

Of course, there was no way I was not finishing the race, so I got back on the bike, and started pedalling (despite the fact I lost a fair amount of skin on the right side of my body). After a crash like that, you are always shaken up, and was not about riding fast any more. I was just about riding to the finish. Unfortunately, my right shifter took the brunt of the crash, and was now taking shifts as vague suggestions rather than direct commands, before crapping out altogether. So now I have to climb Martin Road with no gears. I guess this makes up for the Dinglespeed Incident of 2009.

So I rode it most of the way, but the steepest part of the pitch was not going to happen. I was deep in the pain cave and apparently was raving and yelling (at least according to Cpt. Sydor who had finished in the top 50, got changed and come to watch the rest of us mortals suffer). I have no recollection of this.

My friend Craig was also spectating, and had threatened to shower me with beer if he caught me walking up the final climb. I just remember thinking "if Craig sprays beer at me now, I am going to drop my bike, and go and punch him in the head". Fortunately, it did not come to this because Craig saw the look on my face and decided to leave well enough alone. He did take a photo of me. Picture the scene in the Exorcist right before the girl's head starts to spin around and you'll have a good idea.

Anyway, my finish time was 2:39. This is a PB for me, despite the flat, the crash and the mechanical. So that's good. But I think I could have shaved about 15-20 off that if my race had been, as Jouko put it, uneventful. Anyway, despite (or perhaps because of ) all of this , it was a good day on the bike.

Gotta finish by giving shoutouts to a couple of MTBR'rs.

First of all, Smarty. Top 25, cow heart and all. Wow. Just wow. It's good to have you back.

Secondly, Riotmtb, who pulled off a 2:21. Next time, buddy.

And last, but not least, 14stone, who pulled off a 2:41 and finally, after three years of bad luck made this race his b!tch.

And now for Scotch Ale No. 3...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Mudslides were not that bad. The power line mudslide was not running until the bottom third. However cutting it to 62K from 70k was a little sad. Especially since the online results say 57k. Overall I made really good time. Less than 3 1/2 hrs, without pushing it.
    Even rode up the Martin St hill. Felt bad for the many I saw carrying their bikes or derailleurs. Hope everyone had a great race!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Unglued, it seems you were the trailblazer (of sorts) under that bridge. By the time I came by, the marshall was announcing the potholes as well. As I came around the bend, I wondered how many people came close to ending up in the drink.

I felt relatively good through most of it, though it was crowded enough on both slides that I hiked them both, adding about 20 pounds of mud at one point on Mineral Springs. By the time we hit that last bit of ATV/singletrack before the last hill, my thighs were cramping horribly, such that at one point my leg locked straight, and when I finally bent it with my hand, the muscle was pulsing up and down. Looked like something out of Aliens.

Ultimately, at 3:02 I didn't do as well asi had hoped, but being my first time, it sets the bar for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My 40k went well, felt strong until Martin Rd. Started cramping and had to walk most of the hill.
    The training paid off, was 3rd in my old guy class and 205 out of the 600 in the 40k.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ugh. Beat by the guy on a unicycle.

I signed up late and was in the last wave. I was doing great, cruising along around 27km and having a ball when about 15 km in i realized i had a slow leak in my rear tube. Couldnt find the leak and only brought a patch kit this year. So decide to give it a go. Used all threeof my co2 and almost made it. Walked about 15 minutes and got lucky, house at the bottom of Martin rd had a pump out and i was able to get the tire up to 75psi and made it up the hill.

3:25 this year. Not bad with the walking, 3 stops for air and tube check.

mtbr member
    Basically rode pinned to smarty start to finish. His cold weather gear affords a giant draft for wheelsuckers like me.

Stomach that undid me at HOTN held together, and I even kind of was missing that extra 12km. All went well.

sock puppet

Barry - you could have washed them man.

Official P2A 2013 Paris 2 Ancaster thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365994792.923588.jpg
    Signature

sock puppet

Basically rode pinned to smarty start to finish. His cold weather gear affords a giant draft for wheelsuckers like me.

Stomach that undid me at HOTN held together, and I even kind of was missing that extra 12km. All went well.
    Wow. When I grow up I want to be as fast as you two guys.

Did it take some effort to unpin you from Steve and what did you use as a pin? Just asking.

Signature

mtbr member

After the second mudslide there is a fast downhill that goes under a bridge and makes a left right after the bridge. There was a marshall in front of the bridge saying "left after the bridge". It would have been far better if he had been saying "look out for the gigantic pothole under the bridge". But as he was not saying this, I had no choice but to hit the pothole at 40 km/h and crash. Hard.
    And just a reference, that corner is nasty. A few years ago, it was the sight of the famous 'hot corner' on a Hamilton Endurance Ride that left lots of road rash and a taco'd wheel (that required the railing on the bridge above to straighten).
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Awesome race. Did my best time ever on my beastly singlespeed. Had a blast. Guy and I battled it out for 5th position in the SS category, going back and forth numerous times throughout the course.

Thanks unglued for the 44T ring. That made a tremendous difference!

I Strava Hamburgers
    Official P2A 2013 Paris 2 Ancaster thread-daerp001.jpg

Evil Jr.
    Sounds epic as usual. Judging from the bikes I was seeing on racks as they left town, I figured it wasn't nearly as muddy as it could have been!

mtbr member
    This was my first P2A and easily the longest race I've participated in. My goals going into the race were to finish in under 3 hours & finish ahead of my two friends.

I started in the 3rd wave on my SS Misfit Dissent and quickly lost site of both my friends as they pulled ahead. I found it fairly easy to draft given everyone was pretty bunched up and started to ride my race hoping my endurance would help catch up to my friends later in the race.

Lots of smooth rail trail and road had me wondering why all the fuss about the mud? I hit the first bit of trail in the woods and thought that while it was muddy, it wasn't too bad. The frequency of the muddy sections gradually increased as the race wore on.

At 29 km in I reeled in the slower of my two friends and passed him. That provided a little encouragement to continue pushing the pace to see if I could find the much faster friend 2.

Now that the racers were more spread out I found it difficult to draft. On the road stretches it seemed everyone was either really slow, or cooking along at 30km/h which was about 2 km/h faster than my gearing limited top speed permitted. Realizing I needed to get some drafting in to have a chance to catch friend 2, I decided to try and hang on to the next group that passed me at a reasonable speed. Sure enough two cross guys passed me leading into a downhill road section. I pedalled at a crazy cadence to get on their back wheels and drafted downhill with them at a high speed with intermittent bursts of high cadence pedalling. Definitely helped bring my average speed up.

As I hit the final long, straight section of rail trail I spotted friend 2's orange jacket way in the distance. I caught up to a guy riding at a good pace and we took turns drafting making some good time. I was pushing hard but trying to leave enough for the final climb.

I entered the first mud slide and my friend was no where in site I rode and walked the slide and as I exited the bottom there was friend 2 cleaning mud out I exchanged a couple words and then continued on ahead of him into mud slide two. I rode down most of mudslide two at a good speed, stopped quickly to clear some mud at the bottom and continued on knowing I had only a climb to finish the race.

Part way up the climb a guy behind me starts screaming obscenities like I have never heard. It sounded like he was in labour but I suspect it was cramps. About a minute later the trail got steeper and I stood up to push. The trail got steeper still and I got off the bike to walk, and both my hamstrings immediately cramped. Easily the worst cramps I've ever experienced. As I stood there stretching them out willing my muscles to relax, friend 2 comes along, offers words of encouragement and even offers to help me finish with him. I insist he pushes on which he does.

Cramps finally subside and I slowly walk the remaining steep section, then hop on the bike to finish the last bit and cross the finish line in 2:49, only 6 seconds behind friend 2.

Beat my goal time, and beat one of my two friends, so I judge it a success.

I was impressed with the organization of the day, and the friendliness of the other riders. It was a lot of fun and certainly something I'll return for, although I wonder how it would be if the weather were not so nice.

Now I just need to figure out the cramping issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0