The Official Good Friday Road Race Thread- Mtbr.com
    Evil Jr.

The Official Good Friday Road Race Thread

As some of you may have noticed, I've assumed the role of Race Director for this year's Good Friday Road Race. Although I've only been at it since early December, it sure has been interesting.

I know some of you here run your own races but many don't. So, as a service to those curious about what goes on behind the scenes, I will share all the fun I'm having getting this thing going for this year.

First things first: the PRESS RELEASE:

Quote Originally Posted by The Hamilton Cycling Club

Good Friday Road Race – Something Old & Something New

For the past few months, rumours have swirled around the fate of the Hamilton Cycling Club’s venerable Good Friday Road Race. The worst kept secret may have been its proposed new location: downtown Dundas. While we had the support of the City and the BIA, in the end the cost of policing put that course out of reach… for now.

Undeterred, the HCC is taking the race back to Strabane for 2011. We are tweaking things slightly this year into a “furious rectangle”, consisting of 5th Concession West and Westover, Safari and Brock Roads. Not to worry, the drumlins you love to hate are still the defining feature of the course.

Easter comes late this year, putting Good Friday on April 22nd which all but ensures fantastic weather for Ontario’s only true Spring Classic.

Not sure you want to race? There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer. We need everything from drivers for each race, to registration officials and course marshals. Every volunteer gets a meal and drivers are reimbursed for their gas.

Not only is Good Friday one of the most anticipated events on the Ontario road race calendar, it is the Hamilton Cycling Club’s main fund raising event. Everyone that takes part, as either a racer or volunteer, makes a significant contribution to our many worthwhile programs, from Youth Development to Trail Construction.

Entering the race is easy, just visit the OCA website and click away to your heart’s content. If you’re interested in volunteering in any capacity, all you have to do is drop me a line at marcrisdale (at) gmail (dot) com and I’ll find the spot that’s right for you.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    As some of you may have noticed, I've assumed the role of Race Director for this year's Good Friday Road Race. Although I've only been at it since early December, it sure has been interesting.

I know some of you here run your own races but many don't. So, as a service to those curious about what goes on behind the scenes, I will share all the fun I'm having getting this thing going for this year.

First things first: the PRESS RELEASE:
    That's really too bad about the Sydenham course. I was really looking forward to it.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    That's really too bad about the Sydenham course. I was really looking forward to it.
    You can still come to the HCC hill climbs! Who knows - you might need the practice for next year...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl
    You can still come to the HCC hill climbs! Who knows - you might need the practice for next year...
    Long way to travel for a training race. We've got some good tough climbs out near us too. Good luck with GFRR. As with every race, every year, put me down for a solid maybe.

Evil Jr.
    We were all really pumped about that course but trying something that ambitious has been a great learning experience. Both the City and Police were very helpful and took the time to explain to us what made it so expensive. We already have plenty of ideas to minimize the cost next year. Even on a simple course, policing eats up a MAJOR part of the budget.

That being said, we're still aiming to make this year's GFRR a super-fun event. All the sub-contractors we're talking to are top-notch. I'm really looking forward to it (and wearing a snazzy reflective vest and using a walkie-talkie all day...)!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    That being said, we're still aiming to make this year's GFRR a super-fun event. All the sub-contractors we're talking to are top-notch. I'm really looking forward to it (and wearing a snazzy reflective vest and using a walkie-talkie all day...)!
    Perhaps you can bring some of the mountain bike fun into a roadie event...

Evil Jr.
    Perhaps you can bring some of the mountain bike fun into a roadie event...
    We're already talking kids race. Maybe I can enlist Chico and Matt to work the mud pit...

rad to the power of sick
    Dont worry, if you want climbing, sign up for road nationals this year.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I've been trying to think what would make roadies happy.

Powertap challenge? Cadence competitions? Teeter totters? Arm wrestling? Easter egg primes? Helmet decoration that looks most like an Easter egg?

mtbr member

Powertap challenge? Cadence competitions? Teeter totters? Arm wrestling? Easter egg primes? Helmet decoration that looks most like an Easter egg?
    Fashion Show?

bi-winning
    We were all really pumped about that course but trying something that ambitious has been a great learning experience. Both the City and Police were very helpful and took the time to explain to us what made it so expensive. We already have plenty of ideas to minimize the cost next year. Even on a simple course, policing eats up a MAJOR part of the budget.
    If only you could have a bicycle race, without using roads. That would be cool I think.

Good luck making Good Frday one of the gooder road races around.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

veldrijder
    GM, I heard talk of fully closed roads this time around (or at least a rolling closure i.e. no yellow line). Truth?

I am glad you've taken the ambitious task of race director on.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Hmm... who can take the highest volt TASER Shot Challenge?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    Dont worry, if you want climbing, sign up for road nationals this year.
    Is that the Aldershot-Waterdown course from a couple of years ago?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    GM, I heard talk of fully closed roads this time around (or at least a rolling closure i.e. no yellow line). Truth?

I am glad you've taken the ambitious task of race director on.
    For procedural reasons, we've had to resubmit the course map and we won't know all the final policing details until we get their revised quote. However, I'm almost positive that Concession 5 will be a full. Others *might* be partial but probably full. Rolling isn't even on the table.

Problems with the yellow line (you know who you are) last year had a dramatic influence on our policing costs this year. C'est la vie!

veldrijder
    Problems with the yellow line (you know who you are) last year had a dramatic influence on our policing costs this year. C'est la vie!
    Right, BUT only in Canada and to a lesser extent in the US do people race bikes on open roads. Try explaining the "yellow line rule" to someone from Europe.

gentle like
    Right, BUT only in Canada and to a lesser extent in the US do people race bikes on open roads. Try explaining the "yellow line rule" to someone from Europe.
    But ... none of you are from/have ever raced in Europe, nej?

Edit: ... can we thus call such a remark a moote point?

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by kept man
    Edit: ... can we thus call such a remark a moote point?
    Yes.

But ... none of you are from/have ever raced in Europe, nej?
    So tell us how it is, at least in Sweden. That said that's not exactly the region I had in mind when I said "Europe"... I don't get the impression road racing is really big in Skandinavian nations, so much as utilitarian use of the bicycle.

Evil Jr.
    I don't get the impression road racing is really big in Skandinavian nations, so much as utilitarian use of the bicycle.
    *cough*Thor*cough*

Anyhow, the whole yellow line thing only works with full compliance. Last year, people decided (to their detriment, ha!) that they would flout it and now we need full closures. Besides, in Europe, the roads are so freaking narrow, if they only used half of them, everyone would have to race single file!

veldrijder
    *cough*Thor*cough*
    I don't get the impression he got to where he is racing against other Norwegians in Norway. Well played though.

Besides, in Europe, the roads are so freaking narrow, if they only used half of them, everyone would have to race single file!
    True, though Concession 6 is not much better (and thankfully that road was always somewhat loosely enforced in prior GFRR editions).

Rather than discussing what road racing in Ontario is or is not (that was certainly done in great detail on the CC forums after last year) it is probably most productive that we go forward with the situation we have. This year's GFRR is sure to be a good one.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

<object width="560" height="304" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://movieclips.com/e/aULP/" style="background: #000000; display: block; overflow: hidden;"> <param name="movie" value="http://movieclips.com/e/aULP/" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /> <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /> <param name="wmode" value="transparent" /> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /> <embed src="http://movieclips.com/e/aULP/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" movie="http://movieclips.com/e/aULP/" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" ></embed> </object> <div style="margin: 0; padding: 1px 0 0 0; width: 560px; height: 27px; background: #000000; -moz-border-radius-bottomleft: 4px; -webkit-border-bottom-left-radius: 4px; border-bottom-left-radius: 4px; -moz-border-radius-bottomright: 4px; -webkit-border-bottom-right-radius: 4px; border-bottom-right-radius: 4px; text-align: center; line-height: 11px;"> <a href="http://movieclips.com/aULP-breaking-away-movie-sabotage-italian-style/" style="font-family: Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Sans-serif; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10px; color: #00aeff; text-decoration: none;">Sabotage Italian Style</a><br /> <a href="http://movieclips.com/pGdr-breaking-away-movie-videos/" style="font-family: Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Sans-serif; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10px; color: #ffffff; text-decoration: none;"> Breaking Away</a> <a href="http://movieclips.com/" style="font-family: Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Sans-serif; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10px; color: #cccccc; text-decoration: none;">at MOVIECLIPS.com</a></div>

gentle like
    Yes.

So tell us how it is, at least in Sweden. That said that's not exactly the region I had in mind when I said "Europe"... I don't get the impression road racing is really big in Skandinavian nations, so much as utilitarian use of the bicycle.
    Scandinavian countries don't really consider themselves European either.

I would say that road (and every other kind of) racing are actually quite popular - but what I think is lacking is the kind of series organization at the amateur and professional levels. Races exist, but they aren't coordinated at the same level. Plus as a rule, beyond local club-held weeknight series races, they tend to go in for longer distance disciplines here.

When we did the big road riding 'event' (as opposed to race) in June - they get 30,000 participants across three races held over a week:100km, 150km, 300km - parts were yellow lined, and other parts were fully closed. This in a country with the population far less than Ontario. Not sure how road closures work at the smaller stuff - depends on where it is.

I know ye North American road fans just really want that full-on Euro feel, which is fully closed roads, etc.

gentle like
    and now we need full closures.
    "Good Friday Road Race!"

"Now with 55% less NASCAR Action!"

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Only one more day for online registration (and cheaper fees) for this one! Plus the OCA says
    Quote Originally Posted by OCA
    Any membership applications received after today for licences required for the coming weekend are subject to a $25 rush fee. Any applications received later than tuesday will be subject to a $50 rush fee to ensure they are processed in time for the event.
    (which is a tad confusing, but whatever).
    The weather report is perfect. Some rain tomorrow to wash away any crap on the roads. Then two fabulous days of sun!!! The HCC exec is going chain-gang style around the course on Thursday, sweeping corners.
    I bought 10,000 safety pins, so pinning your number on will not be an issue (and registration will be smooth like butter - come say hi!).
    This should be a super fun way to test your early season fitness and get some much-needed vitamin D. Plus, what better way to earn that Easter chocolate?

Evil Jr.
    Pre-registration is officially closed! Just got the list from the OCA: 370 riders (which is a shocking increase from where we were Monday morning).

The weather's looking pretty good so I'm expecting plenty of day-ofs as well.

Was out walking parts of the course this morning and I'll be out sweeping corners tonight. Everything looks super!

All my faucets is Moen.
    Why so many DQ's in the elite race?

Evil Jr.
    It was all yellow line infractions. The Commissaire sounded like a bingo caller over the radio! They were warned...

Anyhow, great day of racing! No incidents of any import and lots of happy faces.

The weather could have been a hair warmer for my taste (it was snowing when I got there at 6) but I think we provided decent entertainment to the 400 riders that came out.

Thanks to all the volunteers, especially my MTBR pals CptSydor, langford, kaikara and tommy - awesome drivers all!

I'm just sipping on a well deserved martini and then it's off to the showers for me!

mtbr member
    A very well directed race GM! It was friggin' cold all day!
    I was happy to be not racing.

mtbr member
    I raced it. Didn't mind the weather (P2A showed me what to wear). I had a good time, was VERY challenged to stay in the group up the hills, and thought it was a well-run race.

Members who have read this thread: 0